Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TW: Boomers use 'woke' more than other generations, hate 'OK boomer,' 'mansplain,' slang survey finds

China

12 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Emotional intelligence is weakness to many. It’s just easier to get married and divorced multiple times, have a bunch of substance abuse issues, punch people to resolve problems, bleed every dollar from the economy (crashing it 2-3 times) and vote for the white nationalist who used to host a tv show. 

I’ve noticed that the “You’re too sensitive” crowd also tends to be the “I can dish it out but I can’t take it” in practice.

There’s also a huge difference between offering genuine feedback and hurtful criticism.

Accusing others of being over-sensitive can just as easily imply one’s own lack of sensitivity (ie. being insensitive). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Accusing others of being over-sensitive can just as easily imply one’s own lack of sensitivity (ie. being insensitive). 

Yes this person calls people soft and is simultaneously emotionally invested about losing their racist pancake mascot. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:43 AM, TheDoyler23 said:

Yes this person calls people soft and is simultaneously emotionally invested about losing their racist pancake mascot. 

Racist pancake mascot? 

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Is "canceled" the new "woke"?  Swear I'm seeing that thrown around so much it feels like it's lost all original meaning...

Canceled (boycotting) is the response to political correctness (wokeness).

"Cancel" does feel like something that has been an option for a while, it jus comes across with now that that option is being attributed to a term that can and is thrown around so easily, this nuclear option seems to all the sudden be moving up the rankings of first options.

Protesting and Canceling are not the same thing, imo.  Not watching the Cosby Show is not the same as pulling it off of channels.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Protesting and Canceling are not the same thing, imo.  Not watching the Cosby Show is not the same as pulling it off of channels.

Except no one is doing the latter.

Networks aren’t taking shows off the air (eg. Sesame St). They’re replacing actors/actresses (Eg. Roseanne, The Ranch).

Publishers haven’t stopped publishing books (Rowling, Dr Seuss).

People are just encouraged to boycott companies and individuals… to stop giving them support.

Edited by Die Hard

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Except no one is doing the latter.

Are you sure about that?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/business/cosby-show-reruns/index.html

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Networks aren’t taking shows off the air (eg. Sesame St). They’re replacing actors/actresses (Eg. Roseanne, The Ranch).

Publishers haven’t stopped publishing books (Rowling, Dr Seuss).

People are just encouraged to boycott companies and individuals… to stop giving them support.

And in some cases that option is being taken completely:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/r-kelly-was-convicted-what-happens-his-music-streaming-platforms-n1280268

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

"Cancel" does feel like something that has been an option for a while, it jus comes across with now that that option is being attributed to a term that can and is thrown around so easily, this nuclear option seems to all the sudden be moving up the rankings of first options.

It would only get pulled off the channels if enough people protested to cost the network more money by airing it than not airing it.

Is there anyone you can think of that didn’t deserve to get cancelled?  

In the entertainment industry people complain sometimes when someone gets taken off a show after some racist thing they tweeted when they were a teenager…. It feels like a compelling argument. He said it over ten years ago when maybe he didn’t know better. 

But a lot of people want to get into show business. A lot of people don’t say racist things and haven’t said them. Why should they be denied the opportunity? Keeping the guy with poor judgment is essentially denying an opportunity for someone with good judgment.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is… being convicted of terrible crimes (in both your examples above) isn’t in the same category as political correctness. 🙂

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It would only get pulled off the channels if enough people protested to cost the network more money by airing it than not airing it.

Is there anyone you can think of that didn’t deserve to get cancelled?  

In the entertainment industry people complain sometimes when someone gets taken off a show after some racist thing they tweeted when they were a teenager…. It feels like a compelling argument. He said it over ten years ago when maybe he didn’t know better. 

But a lot of people want to get into show business. A lot of people don’t say racist things and haven’t said them. Why should they be denied the opportunity? Keeping the guy with poor judgment is essentially denying an opportunity for someone with good judgment.

This not a defense of Cosby and R Kelly.

Trying to cancel Dave Chappelle bothered me, Netflix had employees walking out over his Trans jokes, and glad Netflix stood by him.

But what if he lost?  It comes across like we are heading in the direction where he could lose in the future.

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is… being convicted of terrible crimes (in both your examples above) isn’t in the same category as political correctness. 🙂

The calls for being canceled are not being limited to convictions or honestly even political correctness anymore, that's my concern, not whether it should even be an option, because it should and will continue to be.

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This not a defense of Cosby and R Kelly.

Trying to cancel Dave Chappelle bothered me, Netflix had employees walking out over his Trans jokes, and glad Netflix stood by him.

But what if he lost?  It comes across like we are heading in the direction where he could lose in the future.

The calls for being canceled are not being limited to convictions or honestly even political correctness anymore, that's my concern, not whether it should even be an option, because it should and will continue to be.

Comedians should be held to a different standard than the rest of us, if the joke is funny. I watched the specials and the trans jokes didn’t seem too bad. But here is the thing, free speech worked and he wasn’t canceled. People were unhappy, but in the end common sense prevailed. That’s is you you known people who actually get canceled deserve it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Help me understand.

You're not on Twitter or Reddit as much as I am, you've said that repeatedly (not that thats a bad thing), do you really want to point counter-point each case I find of folks defaulting to canceling to sound cool over appropriate levels of protest whether its about convctions or poltical correctness or not to believe me?

What we are witnessing are symptoms of a growing number of folks jumping to the extreme of how to respond to certain issues and society trying its best to pick and choose how to react to that momentum as at builds (get ahead of it, join it, stand ground?)

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Comedians should be held to a different standard than the rest of us, if the joke is funny. I watched the specials and the trans jokes didn’t seem too bad. But here is the thing, free speech worked and he wasn’t canceled. People were unhappy, but in the end common sense prevailed. That’s is you you known people who actually get canceled deserve it.

Way too close for comfort, and your reasonable expecting for comedy is not equally shared (see dude who rushed Dave on stage the other day).  Saying it's fine now is ignoring my concern that this is getting worse, not better.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Way too close for comfort, and your reasonable expecting for comedy is not equally shared (see dude who rushed Dave on stage the other day).  Saying it's fine now is ignoring my concern that this is getting worse, not better.

I don’t think we can blame or even use seven degrees of freedom to correlate the risks of cancel culture to a guy who had previously tried to kill someone else rushing on stage to attack a comedian.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You're not on Twitter or Reddit as much as I am, you've said that repeatedly (not that thats a bad thing), do you really want to point counter-point each case I find of folks defaulting to canceling to sound cool over appropriate levels of protest whether its about convctions or poltical correctness or not to believe me?

What we are witnessing are symptoms of a growing number of folks jumping to the extreme of how to respond to certain issues and society trying its best to pick and choose how to react to that momentum as at builds (get ahead of it, join it, stand ground?)

You’re right. I’m nowhere online except here.

You mentioned that cancelling wasn’t limited to criminal convictions or political correctness, and that was your concern.

So I’m asking…. What else is transpiring that you’re worried about?

I don’t think boycotting is extreme.

I think violence and imprisonment are extreme.

12 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t think we can blame or even use seven degrees of freedom to correlate the risks of cancel culture to a guy who had previously tried to kill someone else rushing on stage to attack a comedian.

Yea, purely a coincidence, nothing to see here, everything is fine...

I find that those who complain about being "canceled" tend to be more anti-free speech than the cancelers. Maybe that's because so many of the folks who say they've been "canceled" continue to have huge forums and platforms.

On a simpler level, organizing a boycott is actually pro-free speech. 

What I find anti-free speech is this notion that you shouldn't be allowed to protest in front of a SCOTUS Justices' home or anywhere they might hear you.

4 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I was referencing the use of the Aunt Jemima mascot. It was top of mind as I had literally just had a conversation about that with my boomer MIL.  

This is a good example of using free speech to foster a change. People organized, made their concerns known, and a mascot was changed. The company never stopped production of the syrup, it responded to the voice of the market or the voice of their consumers. If it were canceled then the company or at least the product would have disappeared from the face of the earth.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Die Hard said:

You’re right. I’m nowhere online except here.

You mentioned that cancelling wasn’t limited to criminal convictions or political correctness, and that was your concern.

So I’m asking…. What else is transpiring that you’re worried about?

I don’t think boycotting is extreme.

I think violence and imprisonment are extreme.

I need to get back to you on this for the best way to have this conversation, as it seems to be bigger then the word "canceled", but cancel culture. 

Was reading a NYT article about teenagers diluting and overusing it, but absolutely sticking to the long-game of it and reasoning ranging from what you brought up to stuff that really wasn't.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/style/cancel-culture.html

I think this is worthy of its own thread to keep from taking over this one, but want to emphasize one of my biggest concerns with cancelling over protesting is that protesting typically has an end goal to end the protest, canceling, no matter the reason, is intended to be permanent, which is why it should be a nuclear option, not a cliche'.

“Cancel culture often denies the cancelled individual the most basic of human opportunities: to apologise and to be absolved,” explains Wilson. “Because the road to redemption is blocked by the indignant mob.” A quick apology is viewed as insincere, a slow one as being issued under duress, and the matter can still be resurrected days, weeks, even years later.

It's not jus who we see, it's like it's everywhere now.  And for the people we don't see versus the celebrities we do, "what is extreme" probably isn't thr best barometer for how bad this is for the people it impacts:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/article/cancel-culture-toxic-for-mental-health/amp

Truth: Wife is 40 weeks pregnant and any given moment I won't be back for multiple days to reply to any thread I bump or create. 

So let me know what you think and I'll he back, I like this conversation and open to being wrong and/or alarmist.

36 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I need to get back to you on this for the best way to have this conversation, as it seems to be bigger then the word "canceled", but cancel culture. 

Was reading a NYT article about teenagers diluting and overusing it, but absolutely sticking to the long-game of it and reasoning ranging from what you brought up to stuff that really wasn't.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/style/cancel-culture.html

I think this is worthy of its own thread to keep from taking over this one, but want to emphasize one of my biggest concerns with cancelling over protesting is that protesting typically has an end goal to end the protest, canceling, no matter the reason, is intended to be permanent, which is why it should be a nuclear option, not a cliche'.

It's not jus who we see, it's like it's everywhere now.  And for the people we don't see versus the celebrities we do, "what is extreme" probably isn't thr best barometer for how bad this is for the people it impacts:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/article/cancel-culture-toxic-for-mental-health/amp

Truth: Wife is 40 weeks pregnant and any given moment I won't be back for multiple days to reply to any thread I bump or create. 

So let me know what you think and I'll he back, I like this conversation and open to being wrong and/or alarmist.

Id love to have this conversation with you. You’re willing to explore the grey area (non-binary) and that’s a pre-requisite for me.

But I reserve these types of dialogue for phone or in person platforms. It maintains the humanity these types of complex/nuanced topics.

And it is a helluva lot more efficient as well. I just can’t get invested time wise for the back and forth of posting any more…. which is why these days I’m more of a hit-and-run poster. 😂

I did read your article though…. and I’ll say this.

Of course, rejection (especially on a larger scale) is tough on mental health. No one is immune unless you’re a sociopath.

And America is the land of second chances (opportunity). People forgive (with or without apologies) or they forget… 

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 1