Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assault on education

Cooked Crack

Pritzker: Don’t change high school AP course to appease DeSantis and ‘Florida’s racist and homophobic laws’

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker is going to battle with the national College Board over what he calls “political grandstanding” by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The Chicago Democrat is warning the nonprofit that oversees the Advanced Placement program that Illinois will reject a revised African American Studies course if it doesn’t include “a factual accounting of history, including the role played by black queer Americans.” 

Pritzker sent a sharply worded letter to the board over its decision to revise the Advanced Placement course in African American Studies after the Florida governor — and likely GOP presidential candidate — blocked Florida high schools from offering the course because it included segments on “queer theory” and “abolishing prisons,” among other topics.

It’s unclear how the course will be changed or if the revisions stem from Florida’s rejection, but the College Board said the new framework would be released on Feb. 1.

Pritzker objected to any change “in order to fit Florida’s racist and homophobic laws.”

Click on the link for the full article

14 minutes ago, China said:

Pritzker: Don’t change high school AP course to appease DeSantis and ‘Florida’s racist and homophobic laws’

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker is going to battle with the national College Board over what he calls “political grandstanding” by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The Chicago Democrat is warning the nonprofit that oversees the Advanced Placement program that Illinois will reject a revised African American Studies course if it doesn’t include “a factual accounting of history, including the role played by black queer Americans.” 

Pritzker sent a sharply worded letter to the board over its decision to revise the Advanced Placement course in African American Studies after the Florida governor — and likely GOP presidential candidate — blocked Florida high schools from offering the course because it included segments on “queer theory” and “abolishing prisons,” among other topics.

It’s unclear how the course will be changed or if the revisions stem from Florida’s rejection, but the College Board said the new framework would be released on Feb. 1.

Pritzker objected to any change “in order to fit Florida’s racist and homophobic laws.”

This was an incredibly stupid move. 

He just changed the narrative from Ron DeSantis standing in the schoolhouse door to block academics from teaching, because black, to a fight between two politicians arguing over whether high school classes should be mandated to include "the historical contributions of queer blacks". 

And Pritzker used the same cudgel DeSantis used. Making the dreaded "bothsiderism" appear more valid. 

On 1/26/2023 at 8:17 PM, Larry said:

He just changed the narrative from Ron DeSantis standing in the schoolhouse door to block academics from teaching, because black, to a fight between two politicians arguing over whether high school classes should be mandated to include "the historical contributions of queer blacks". 

And Pritzker used the same cudgel DeSantis used. Making the dreaded "bothsiderism" appear more valid. 

My opinion? **** the narrative. And these are AP classes, not standard high school history classes. They’re prep for college.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 1/26/2023 at 8:17 PM, Larry said:

and it draws more attention to the course teaching “abolishing prisons” which is a fringe stance that’s no doubt wildly unpopular nationally.  I doubt that even most democrats would support that stance being presented to children without counter argument.

19 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I'm fine with abolishing prisons...... under the condition that states like Kansas are fenced in entirely to incarcerate all the newly released prisoners. Free range prisons! Now with cage free farm fresh murderers. 

BUILD THE DOME!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I'm fine with abolishing prisons...... under the condition that states like Kansas are fenced in entirely to incarcerate all the newly released prisoners. Free range prisons! Now with cage free farm fresh murderers. 

I’ve spent time reading about abolishing prisons and police because it’s such a radical break from the norm.  What you find after you get passed th smoke screen of directing all conversations to things we might agree with like criminalizing poverty and drug possession is “restorative Justice” for all crimes.  Not just for things that fit the concept, like theft or destruction of property, but for everything.  If some guy murders your daughter, they want the justice system to force you to hear him out, and for him to hear you out.  Then you have to agree to allow this mother ****er to try to make you right again.  Why?  Because they believe that’s a transformative journey for the murderer that will stop him from murdering again.  

don’t hold your breath waiting for a straight answer on what they’d do if the killer kills again.  Or if the rape victims should really be expected to allow their rapist to try to make anything right again.  You get accused of wanting vengeance or punishment and that true justice is none of those things. 

I hope those kids parents are encouraging them to challenge the view and not accept it as progressive thinking simply because it’s cloaked in language designed to appeal to left leaning young people.

That isn’t the weirdest abolition idea I’ve enjoyed reading about though.  Search for abolishing the family.  

• Thumb up 1

Our Librarian Was Forced to Remove a Quote by Holocaust Survivor Elie Wiesel. It’s a Bad Sign of Things to Come.

This week, a high school librarian in my kids’ school district was forced to take down a quote from his door by revered Holocaust survivor, Elie Wiesel. “We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented,” the quote included, excerpting Wiesel’s 1986 Nobel Prize acceptance speech. Why was the quote taken down? It wasn’t considered fair and balanced.

While this may seem shocking to many people, this type of bigotry has become far too normalized in my community.

When we moved to Bucks County, Pennsylvania 12 years ago, we were hoping to enjoy good schools, proximity to family and easy access to both NYC and Philly. What we didn’t anticipate was landing directly in the center of the “Culture Wars.”

Edited by China

Where is the separation of church and state?

West Virginia Senate passes bill that requires public schools to display 'In God We Trust' in every building

Public schools in West Virginia may soon be required to display the phrase "In God We Trust" in every building if a bill passed by the state Senate on Monday becomes law.

The bill was introduced by Republican Sen. Mike Azinger, who said he wants to give kids in schools something to look up to and let them know it's OK to "say God" in school.

"We know there's a lot of kids that have problems at home, tough times at home that we don't know anything about," Azinger said, speaking on the Senate floor. "Maybe they'll look up one day and say, 'In God We Trust' and know they can put their hope in God."

The bill is now heading to the West Virginia House of Delegates. It requires public K-12 schools and public institutions of higher learning to display the official U.S. national motto on durable posters or in frames placed in a "conspicuous place" in each building.

The displays must also contain images of the U.S. national and state flags but can't depict any other words, images or information. They must be either donated or purchased from private donations.

Similar laws have been passed in Texas, Kentucky, Louisiana, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia and several other states. Mississippi was the first state to pass a law mandating "In God We Trust" be displayed in public schools back in 2001.

Former President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a law making "In God We Trust" the official U.S. national motto July 30, 1956, two years after pushing to have the phrase "under God" inserted into the Pledge of Allegiance.

And, for the record, I don't think "under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Edited by China

After heavy criticism from Gov. Ron DeSantis, the College Board released on Wednesday an official curriculum for its new Advanced Placement course in African American Studies —  stripped of much of the subject matter that had angered the governor and other conservatives. 

The College Board purged the names of many Black writers and scholars associated with critical race theory, the queer experience and Black feminism. It ushered out some politically fraught topics, like Black Lives Matter, from the formal curriculum. 

And it added something new: “Black conservatism” is now offered as an idea for a research project.

Straight capitulation

• Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, Larry said:

An idea.  

In order to request a book be hidden, the parent must be able to demonstrate that they've read the book.  

Absolutely and how is this not the most basic requirement?  I’ll add that most people arguing about them online have not only failed to read them, they’ve failed to even view the controversial segments.  We have thousands of people arguing over parts of books they’ve never seen.  

1. I know its easier said than done, but its time for these teachers to do something themselves. Does that mean go on strike? I don't know, but it seems like if teachers want something done in Florida, it will have to come from them.

2. I said last year that you will probably see colleges come out and say that if you came from this school or this county, you don't meet the qualifications to attend. Is a college going to lower it's standards JUST to let Florida and these maga states enroll? If I were of college age and going to attend college, why would I want to go to one that would let some idiot from Florida in who didn't even receive a proper education.

9 hours ago, Destino said:

Absolutely and how is this not the most basic requirement?  I’ll add that most people arguing about them online have not only failed to read them, they’ve failed to even view the controversial segments.  We have thousands of people arguing over parts of books they’ve never seen.  

this is America. You’re too smart for it. Most of us are. 

at this point I’m content supporting private school vouchers. I want nothing to do with the public school system anymore. And that’s because both political ideologies suck gigantic donkey dick at doing anything to fix any of their problems. 

public schools have become another wedge issue. Both sides created it in their own way. Not really interested in having my children be part of it. 

right now we’re struggling with the idea that my son doesn’t want to transition out of the environment he’s made friends in for 3 years now, but also not wanting one kid in private and one in public, etc. 

• Like 1