Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Exactly, he's 30. He's at his ceiling. He may maintain it for 3-4 years but what you've seen is what you're going to get. He's not gonna become the comeback kid or the gunslinger or suddenly a mobile master. I say pass. 

Hes a top QB in the league this year, despite losing his HC and WR.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'd rather go with an unproven backup like Kyle Schumer or Kyle Allen or heck even Mike White. Yes they are worse QBs but at least they have something in the talent pool and are on the younger side so we can have them as they reach their ceiling. And if they flame out we just get a higher draft pick and start over again. Carr would be the opposite of many have called for in this thread, a ticket to mediocrity that costs a lot. 

You are going to likely drive me up the wall if this COVID-19 thing keeps playing out and ends up effecting our QB room. 😀  This is shaping up to your version of a QB dream.  😀 A slew of undrafted FA QBs in play like Shurmur, Garrett Gilbert, etc all of a sudden getting some attention -- all that has to happen is a good quarter or a good practice and I could see you singing that we got our guy, we just need to give him a chance tune soon enough.  I feel it. :ols:

Heck if Nick Mullens has a 200 yard game with 60% completion rate or something pedstrian, I can see you say hey why not trade for him for a 6th round pick?   And bring up again how Bruce pulled a steal for Case Keenum years back.  I kid.  :ols:  Sort of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes a top QB in the league this year, despite losing his HC and WR.

Yep.

The lets pass on Derrek Carr drill from some reminds me of the Matt Stafford talk last year.   Trading for Stafford was treated at best with a mixed reaction on the QB thread with some saying hard pass.  Stafford has had a great year.  We'd likely be cruising to the playoffs if we had Stafford.  Carr is about 4 years younger. 

The way it feels to me is hey we've been drinking juice boxes for years.  And some feel, how about just switching to another juice box.  Lets try Hi Ci this time.  OK, forget the juice boxes, lets go with nice glass of wine for a change, it might not be fine champagne but it would be one heck of a leap.  Not that i am a wine or champagne guy but its the best analogy that hit me. 😀

I think the idea that Carr is put on the trading block almost feels too good to be true let alone hard pass if they do it.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.07.19 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Carr is very underrated. He’d be an excellent addition at the right price.

We’ll probably see a repeat of last offseason with multiple links. I mean, we apparently wanted the other LV QB, Mariota, so that will circle around again, although he may now be viewed as simply ‘another’ TH level QB, and therefore no real upgrade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Keeping the dude that got benched for Ryan Tannehill over the 2nd leading passer in the league this season? Rofl, Raiders would have to be something else

There is no reason to keep playing Carr this season.

I wonder if they’re thinking they could get some interest in Mariotta? Though I’m not sure if he’s under contract next year….

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is no reason to keep playing Carr this season.

I wonder if they’re thinking they could get some interest in Mariotta? Though I’m not sure if he’s under contract next year….

Uh, he’s on my fantasy team.  And my backup just got out on the COVID list.  He needs to play.😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You are going to likely drive me up the wall if this COVID-19 thing keeps playing out and ends up effecting our QB room. 😀  This is shaping up to your version of a QB dream.  😀 A slew of undrafted FA QBs in play like Shurmur, Garrett Gilbert, etc all of a sudden getting some attention -- all that has to happen is a good quarter or a good practice and I could see you singing that we got our guy, we just need to give him a chance tune soon enough.  I feel it. :ols:

Heck if Nick Mullens has a 200 yard game with 60% completion rate or something pedstrian, I can see you say hey why not trade for him for a 6th round pick?   And bring up again how Bruce pulled a steal for Case Keenum years back.  I kid.  :ols:  Sort of. 

Yessir. 

It's more about the dream than the future though. It's like with Heinicke. He went from retirement and likely always thinking what if and doubting himself to becoming one of 32. Sure he may not wear the crown for long but he's able to say he wore it and to some, wore it well. That's what these lower round and undrafted guys don't really get, opportunity. Maybe the reason is that they'll never be the franchise guy but give me a Tyrod Taylor (early days) who can right a franchise and not suck over a bunch of first round pre Madonna s who think they deserve something because of where they were drafted. 

My stance of this was partly put in because they were getting paid top dollar despite never having played a down. That's changed, so I'm not as adamant. But I still root for these guys.

Mariota is on a 1 yr deal, they can't be looking to boost his value, he is not theirs to trade next year.

The Raiders are not too far from a playoff spot either, so shutting down Carr right now does not make sense either. I'd call phooey on the idea

That being said I'd be very happy w/ Carr if we could pull it off somehow.

• Like 1

If you are blowing up the entire Gruden coaching staff and going with one of the hot young candidates, adding a couple first rounders to your team in a year when you are within reach of a QB in the draft to build around, is a great idea. I can definitely see them wanting to move on from Carr and his contract is perfect to do that.

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Carr is a good example of stats not telling the whole story. 

Clear upgrade here, but not willing to give 10-12% of the cap to him. Never been the same since his leg injury. 

I have heard some folks refer to him as "Kirk-West." I think that's actually a somewhat accurate assessment, to be honest. 

Here's the thing which I keep saying:  There are 32 starting QB jobs in the NFL, and at any given point in time, there are about 12-15 veterans who deserve NFL starting jobs without question.  Then you have ~5-8 guys who are either rookies or second year guys who might move up, and then there is everybody else in the "meh" category.  Every team needs somebody who's either a legitimate starter or a legitimate prospect.  If you're trying to piece it together with an "everybody else" group, you will fail.  

Right now, here are my list of "Veteran" players who ABSOLUTELY deserve one of the 32 starting QB Jobs (This list in no particular order):

- Tom Brady

- Patrick Mahomes

- Derick Carr

- Matthew Stafford

- Kirk Cousins

- Josh Allen

- Aaron Rodgers

- Dak Prescott

- Matt Ryan

- Ryan Tannehill

- Lamar Jackson

- Kyler Murray

- Russell Wilson

- Baker Mayfield

- Carson Wentz

That's 15. (Wentz is hanging on by a thread. I'd argue Baker might be also.)

Then you have the young guys. I just look at rookies and second year guys together.    Some of these guys will move up to the top list, and a few folks on the top list will eventually age out.  (Except Brady, he will live and play forever.)

- Justin Herbert (I think we already know he should be on list 1, but he's still in his second year)

- Joe Burrow (I think we already know he should be on list 1, but he's still in his second year)

- Mac Jones

- Tua

- Zach Wilson

- Justin Fields

- Jalen Hurts (maybe?  I put him more in the "everybody else" category, but you could argue either way...)  

... (I'm sure there are a few more)

Then there is everybody else, all lumped together as "maybe but probably not ever going to be on the top list.  

SO.  If you don't have somebody on either the first or second list, you have to go get one.  Either draft a guy to add to list 2, or sign/trade for a guy in list 1.  Those are your 2 choices.  Signing an "everybody else" guy is pointless.  They're all kindof the same.  Every so often lightening strikes, and a "meh" guy turns into a legitimate starter. But you really can't count on that.  

This is a really long way of saying, we don't have anybody in list A or B.  (Sorry Taylor/Allen, they just AREN'T in either list.)  So you have to go get somebody.  If Carr is available, you go get him.  

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yessir. 

It's more about the dream than the future though. It's like with Heinicke. He went from retirement and likely always thinking what if and doubting himself to becoming one of 32. Sure he may not wear the crown for long but he's able to say he wore it and to some, wore it well. That's what these lower round and undrafted guys don't really get, opportunity. Maybe the reason is that they'll never be the franchise guy but give me a Tyrod Taylor (early days) who can right a franchise and not suck over a bunch of first round pre Madonna s who think they deserve something because of where they were drafted. 

My stance of this was partly put in because they were getting paid top dollar despite never having played a down. That's changed, so I'm not as adamant. But I still root for these guys.

I hear you.  But if we are just the team for stray rescue dogs -- loveable stories but who keep us in this 7-9-9-8 style purgatory for perpetuity -- it doesn't float my boat no matter how cute the stories are.  I want a thoroughbred for a change -- it doesn't even have to be the fastest horse but give me a real horse with a shot at winning a big race for a change.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hear you.  But if we are just the team for stray rescue dogs -- loveable stories but who keep us in this 7-9-9-8 style purgatory for perpetuity -- it doesn't float my boat no matter how cute the stories are.  I want a thoroughbred for a change -- it doesn't even have to be the fastest horse but give me a real horse with a shot at winning a big race for a change.  

I absolutely hate that analogy. Rescue dogs don't need this ****.

• Haha 1

This is one of my favorite Eminem verses

That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing, except for a dream and a ****in rap magazine; Who post pin-up pictures on they walls all day long, idolize they favorite rappers and know all they songs; Or for anyone who's ever been through **** in they lives, so they sit and they cry, at night, wishin they'd die; Til they throw on a rap record and they sit and they vibe; We're nothin to you, but we're the ****in **** in they eyes; That's why we seize the moment; Try to freeze it and own it, squeeze it and hold it, cause we consider these minutes golden; And maybe they'll admit it when we're gone; Just let our spirits live on, through our lyrics that you hear in our songs... [Sing for the Moment]

that just describes these backup qbs. I'm rooting for Gilbert and Schumer right now knowing that they're in the same position that Heinicke was in last year. Let's see if they can shine even brighter

• Sad 1