Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Nah, probably higher. I don't know though, I was surprised that Denver's offer for Rodgers was 1/2/1 ... then again Rodgers is 39 and probably another 3-4 years? Watson is 12 years younger but has some off-field issues.

I know the Texans are asking for a ton. But depending on the timing of this whole thing, they might not get offered "a ton" and they gotta make a deal at some point. Can't hold him another year. So my guess is it ends up being somewhere less than the 3 1sts and 2 starters they initially floated. 2 1sts and 2 2nds maybe. Or 3 1sts and a 2nd. But no way it'll be 1/1/1/starting DL/starting DL/2nd as I think they initially threw out last year.

Why can't they wait  another year? Also, that's if he is cleared.

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

If Ridley is suspended for an entire season for betting on games, that makes it feel pretty certain that Watson will also miss a year as punishment, even if he doesn't get charged criminally. 

Eh, maybe.  One is integrity of the game type of thing with gambling implications.  

The other is not.

So who knows what good ol’ Roge is going to do. 

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eh, maybe.  One is integrity of the game type of thing with gambling implications.  

The other is not.

I mean...yeah that's true. But the other is also the whole "sexual assault" and "rape" thing. I'm generally pretty cynical about the business aspect of pro football but I still have a hard time seeing a guy with that many allegations of sexual assault leading to anything less than at least a half year suspension. That would be a really bad look if they suspended one guy for an entire season over gambling but only gave a slap on the wrist to someone with dozens of sexual assault allegations.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VirginiaVibes said:

That's the thing. I am assuming people who like Willis are just going by Senior Bowl and Combine reports and haven't watched him? He is exciting as a runner, can really make plays with his feet and has a huge arm but he also is terrible handling pressure. I know the talent level between Ole Miss and Liberty is different but in that game Ole Miss had 8 of their 11 starters out on offense, Corral playing on two bad ankles and Willis looked shook by a bad Ole Miss defense.

Like this is legit the worst tape from all the top 5 QBs in this class IMO:

I’m a sucker for elite traits and that video he still displays those. I lean towards him never becoming a top 20 NFL passer, but if he does, watch out. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think it's a pretty big stretch to say Hurts is the floor for Willis in his rookie year. Hurts was a superior passer when he came out. He played at two big time schools against big boy opponents and put up some very good numbers. He's clearly not as physically gifted as Willis, but he was definitely a more polished QB coming out IMO.

For sure, I’m unable to break down the nuances of each as passers, from my fan view Hurts is a poor passer of the football as is Willis. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think it's more likely that they sit Willis for a season instead of throwing him to the wolves. I suppose they could put him in and rely very very heavily on him running, but how much would that really do to help his passing game progress?

Who knows. It’s an extreme long shot he becomes average an average NFL passer, but reasonable to expect him to contribute to a winning brand of football through punishing teams in the run game. 

Im starved for consistent playoff football and willing to get there by any means necessary. Whether it’s boring Alex Smith pre injury or modern smash mouth football with a running QB. I want Washington to be in it consistently for a 5 year window.  Of course, if they can land on a unicorn QB, I’m all for it. 

The average middling starter fails to move the needle enough, so I lean towards a dynamic running QB that provides an elite run game. This model had more value 8-10 years ago, but there’s an edge that still remains. Having a dynamic run game while paying your QB peanuts provides a great opportunity to escape mediocrity and enter the top 3rd of the league, then hope a few bounces can go your way in a season. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I mean...yeah that's true. But the other is also the whole "sexual assault" and "rape" thing. I'm generally pretty cynical about the business aspect of pro football but I still have a hard time seeing a guy with that many allegations of sexual assault leading to anything less than at least a half year suspension. That would be a really bad look if they suspended one guy for an entire season over gambling but only gave a slap on the wrist to someone with dozens of sexual assault allegations.

Well, it won’t be assault or rape charges if he is not charged with a crime.  

So we’ll see. If he’s not charged, it could be some type of inappropriate behavior that they can explain away.  Don’t forget, they have just swept aside a lot of inappropriate behavior.  Krafts’s rub and tug, allegations against Jerry and the Cowboys, and even protecting Dan.  

Shrug.  It could go a variety of ways. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The other is not.

Betting is a cardinal sports sin. Dudes don''t just get suspended, they get banned from their league b/c of it.

I don't think it correlates, but if anything I'd feel better about the length of a Watson suspension in the shadow of a one yr suspension on betting than worse.

Update: Seems its at least 1 yr. could be more

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes.  I think you’re right. 

In the scenario I was responding to, we got Watson.

I don't disagree...I can see us getting Watson too, if not I think we'll go hard for Trubisky. I have no intel other than what I've read and the fact that we tried to trade for MT at the deadline. But I think we'll go very hard after Watson...

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We definitely need another outside WR to pair with McLaurin. Move Samuel to the slot.

Agreed....I really like Cedric Wilson from Dallas on a reasonable deal. He was very good for them this year and he's not a break the bank signing. 

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 5.31.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 5.32.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 5.33.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 5.34.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 5.35.10 PM.png

Can we expect Dyami Brown to step up and be a very good WR in his 2nd season? We drafted him fairly high didn't we? We need to hit on him...coach him up. In fact, I expect him to be one of the camp stars in his second season. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Can we expect Dyami Brown to step up and be a very good WR in his 2nd season? We drafted him fairly high didn't we? We need to hit on him...coach him up. In fact, I expect him to be one of the camp stars in his second season. 

Very good players start out flashing then improve.   Dyami is the latest in the line of overhyped WRs to come through here. He will end up on the scrap heap of Hankerson, Devin Thomas, Malcomb Kelly, Rod Gardner and Josh Doctson. 

• Like 3

I think some people are locked into their positions on Malik Willis no matter what.  So I don't feel like debating him much anymore.

But to throw another log into the fire as for the Hurts-Willis discussion.

Quincy Avrey who coached many QBs including ironically both Hurts and Willis appeared on a podcast recently for the draft network.  I listened to the whole thing.

Cliff notes.

A. He talked about what helped Hurts as a passer is what he brings to the run game so as Hurts develops he can still succeed in the meantime because of that and talked up this also applies big time to Willis

B.  Talked about Willis having the strongest arm of any QB he's coached.  And he coached a bunch of guys.  We all know Hurts has an average arm at best.

C. He talked about how smart he is as a player and a quick learner

D.  Jalen Hurts with a 21 on the wonderlic.  Trubisky a 25.  Willis got a 32.

E.  He said the key thing he needs to work on is making checkdown plays -- stop trying to be superman on every play.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 7.00.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 7.00.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 7.01.36 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Very good players start out flashing then improve.   Dyami is the latest in the line of overhyped WRs to come through here. He will end up on the scrap heap of Hankerson, Devin Thomas, Malcomb Kelly, Rod Gardner and Josh Doctson. 

It could be true.  

But he was also elevated to a position he wasn’t drafted for or suited for because of the injury to Samuel.  

He was supposed to be the 4th option, primarily stretching the field as a mismatch.  

McLaurin, Samuel and Hump were supposed to be the top 3, and then Logan Thomas, Gibson and McKissic were supposed to be the next set of Targets.  

Brown was supposed to be a guy who played limited snaps and was used as a change of pace guy and to stretch the defense.  

Because Samuel and Thomas weee hurt most of the year, McKissic missed the last 6 games, Brown was asked to do so things he wasn’t ready to do.

Couple that with having one of the worst starting QBs in the league, and it would have been a minor miracle if he had really shown out.  

I think he at least deserves a second year before closing the book on him.  If he is used properly with an NFL QB, he might actually be descent.  

Jury is still out.  It’s not trending in the right direction but it might be salvageable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Damn its time for this team to develop a talented position player into a star, for pete sakes.🤬

"Couple that with having one of the worst starting QBs in the league|.  Here is a winner John, tell him what he has won.

Their was a post on here that off all the receivers who had over 90 targets McLaurin had the least catchable balls.  Yeah, lets roll with TH again.🤦‍♂️

I think Dyami is talented, coaches should be able to develop players especially the occasional 4th rounder.  Football Gods, can w please get a QB please and thank you.

Edited by sebestian

9 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Damn its time for this team to develop a talented position player into a star, for pete sakes.🤬

Brown was selected in the 3rd round, pick #82 overall and I remember everyone saying how we got a steal. Let's see how what he learned and how he shows up in his 2nd season. Playing with Terry and Samuel, with Humphries he should know how to work/practice like a pro. He's a guy not talked about much but was picked in a spot where he needs to step up.