Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe.  For QBs in particular social interaction is part of the job.  I know people who tend to be super comfortable in social situations that fit the comfort zones and not so much outside their comfort zones, so maybe that's part of this?

I get the vibe from Keim that its supposed to culminate in some event at the end of the day, guessing a trip to see the monuments?

I don't know how SF does it.

So both seperate and together I gather.  Maybe the together part is purely for whatever they plan at the end of tomorrow.

Be interesting if its to test JJ, if he's really the pick. I think there seems to be some consensus that Maye and JJ have classic extroverted, social QB personalities, and JJ is the one that's more shy (and possibly introverted, although its important to note they are not the same traits). It would be fascinating if it's a kind of mental make up social test....

I have no idea. But its interesting to speculate about. I'm quite curious if it will go down as a total ---- show, or actually an innovative, genius idea. I think the former, but the greatest ideas are usually classified as the former before we realize they were really the latter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

Be interesting if its to test JJ, if he's really the pick. I think there seems to be some consensus that Maye and JJ have classic extroverted, social QB personalities, and JJ is the one that's more shy (and possibly introverted, although its important to note they are not the same traits). It would be fascinating if it's a kind of mental make up social test....

I have no idea. But its interesting to speculate about. I'm quite curious if it will go down as a total ---- show, or actually an innovative, genius idea. I think the former, but the greatest ideas are usually classified as the former before we realize they were really the latter. 

I am no expert on their personalities.  But from what I've digested, it would be an environment that I'd guess Maye would be more comfortable with than the other 2.

Maye is a good ol country boy who is probably most comfortable throwing down Bud Lights at the bar.

McCarthy is a polished speaker and looks like a future Senator.

Daniels probably prefers staying at home and talking over Discord while playing X Box.

Again, not an indictment on any of these guys. I think they're all fine personality wise. Give me the guy who projects to be the best PLAYER and everything else will work itself out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Go Blue Ncaa Football GIF by Michigan Athletics

My man got some serious rizz, makes an old man think about doing a good skibidi or pulling a  fantum tax on some bebop a doo wop yabba dabba dooing no account cap wearing I’m gonna get you type of sucka!

Who said old dogs can’t learn new tricks?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If that's the process that got them Trey Lance they need a new process.

Then again every QB taken after T Law that year stunk so I guess it wouldn't have mattered.

And lets be fair to Lance. Lance isn't Zach Wilson: Obvious talentless idiot, and even cancer. Trey Lance injured his hand in '21 which screwed up his throwing motion and caused him to largely miss the season, and then he fractured his ankle in the second start of his career in early '22, and then Purdy took the job from him while he was rehabbing. We don't know what Lance could be because he never had a chance. He lost '21 to injury and lost the starting gig to a guy who guided the team to a conference title game in '22. When people talk about Trey Lance as a bust, they're speaking factually in terms of what he's turned his status as a top 3 draft pick into a backup role so far in his career, he is a bust in terms of value return, otoh, he's not a bust in the same way Trubisky, Rosen, and Zach Wilson were. We simply don't know what the hell Lance could be because he got hurt, repeatedly and the injuries wiped out his opportunities until he fell behind two QB's who ranked habitually inside the top 10 in the league, no chance he's taking their jobs, so he's a bust, despite never really thrown a ball for even a month as a starter. 

The only caveat I'd add is that Lance, when he was healthy, before injury, looked pretty erratic, period, in terms of accuracy. Strong armed, yes, athletic yes, ideal frame yes, but not accurate. He was unusually inaccurate for the 2020's. So maybe he was gonna bust anyway, but we'll never know for sure, unless he gets a gig as a starter and fails in the way Zach Wilson did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

You sort of have to show you’re not just a game manager to go top 3 in the draft. If this team drafts JJ , just sets back the team another 5 plus years. Would be disastrous. 

A disaster would be to lose Daniels to injury at 26 years old, J.J. has time on his side.  If any of the 4 QB's busts and we take one of them it's not going to set us back 5 years? We still have our future picks.  Hitting on a QB can happen because it's possible to draft one anywhere with a little luck on your side if you fail at no.2.  

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am no expert on their personalities.  But from what I've digested, it would be an environment that I'd guess Maye would be more comfortable with than the other 2.

Drake is the least accomplished guy in the room. Daniels can flash the Heisman pose and JJ will bling everyone in the eye with the Naty ring.

Just sayin... 😂

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds like JJ is the most extroverted, social, and comfortable under media lights, Maye is close, and the sense I get is Jayden is not, at all. 

In fairness to Jayden, if he's really ----ing good at the next level, nobody's gonna care much that he's shy and soft spoken, they'll listen a la Art Monk, and follow. 

• Like 1

Do the prospects interact with current players on the roster at all? I wonder if they'll have them mix with guys like Terry, BRob, Jon Allen, etc. and then get the vets' opinions on personality.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If that's the process that got them Trey Lance they need a new process.

Then again every QB taken after T Law that year stunk so I guess it wouldn't have mattered.

Maybe they should not have taken a QB, But they went to the S.B. this year and it's not just QB's that are coming in.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

You sort of have to show you’re not just a game manager to go top 3 in the draft. If this team drafts JJ , just sets back the team another 5 plus years. Would be disastrous. 

giphy.gif

Let's make a bet.

JJ > JD in 5 years.

You set the parameters or metrics (not rush yards). 

I'd be willing to bet a decent amount, but you let me know what you want to wager on this.  Can be just for fun, too. 

I think you are flat out wrong about JJ and I'm willing to put my money, or something else of value up, where my mouth is.

Your move, Bayou.  What would you like to do?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

A disaster would be to lose Daniels to injury at 26 years old, J.J. has time on his side.  If any of the 4 QB's busts and we take one of them it's not going to set us back 5 years? We still have our future picks.  Hitting on a QB can happen because it's possible to draft one anywhere with a little luck on your side if you fail at no.2.  

Yep. One argument I've made, and always make is I'm fine with trading the house to move up and get your guy because its a QB's league. There is no too high of a price, if you believe you're looking at the next Luck, Mahomes, Burrow level talent. I mean in '20, people said Cincy isn't trading the pick, but honestly, trading up to take Burrow or Herbert #1. There wasn't really too high of a price to pay. Which is why as a GM, if I had a hopeless QB room like we do now, I would have offered 3 firsts, 3 seconds, Jonathan Allen, Terry McLaurin, whatever. If I believed iN Burrow or Herbert the way I did in Luck? There is no too high of a price standard in QB trades historically because lets be straight, since that draft, 2020, there has been one certifiable QB hit in 3 freaking drafts: CJ Stroud, and one very late dart throw hit that nobody on earth could predict (Purdy), and that's an unusual stretch of talent rich veins of QB's: Kyler in '19, Burrow and Herbert in '20, Lawrence mehing it in '21, CJ in '23, the dart throw in '22. More often QB classes are like '13-'19, where you just have nothing bust misses for the bulk of a decade, with handfuls of hits (Mahomes and Watson in '17, Allen and Lamar in '18, Kyler in '19, but nothing worth a damn in '13, '14, '15 or '16 at the top of boards. 

So how much is too much? Especially when you already know the '25 class is kind of blah's, and if your Minnesota, you simply have a talent rich collection of pass catchers now and lack a QB? What would you care if you move your '24, '25, '26 and '27 firsts to move up to slot 2 or 3? Who cares. With the talent minnesota has, they aren't going to be picking 1-2-3, they will simply get too many wins with that offense in place regardless as to whose under center. So instead of offering trades to move up and calling, why not give them the Godfather offer. Plop down a '24, '25, '26 and '29 first, and 2nds in '25, '26 and '29, and 3rds in '24, '25, and 27. Go with the godfather offer. Why not. If you miss, sign a placeholder like the bucs signed Baker, and move on with him, but if you hit, you wont miss most of that draft capital, because honestly, if you hit at one of these QB's, a Herbert, a Burrow, a Mahomes etc, it is worth 5x to 10x what literally anything else is in this league period. CJ Stroud just proved it last year, if anyone was wondering. People undersell how worth it is to godfather offer. It is worth it, RGIII was worth the trade up, if he'd hit. He was. And hell, if we hadn't hit with Cousins 3 rounds afterwards, we would have been picking high as hell soon enough and could've tried again.

That's whats in play here as well, which is probably the only selling point I like with Daniels. If we miss with Daniels, we will miss BIG, and will be able to belly up to the draft bar very, very high in '25 and '26 and maybe '27 as we go QB hunting again like the Bears, Cardinals, Jets and Browns have over the past decade. You miss badly enough, you'll get another chance. With Maye, I don't think the floors low enough, a miss with him feels more like the Raiders with Carr, or Bucs with Winston than it does the Jets with Zach Wilson. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

There's a lot of talk about both Mayes and Daniels being blue chip prospects at #2 in a general "different but equal" sense, desirability wise.

But going by posts, most folks here who are focused on those two have long had their fave locked in and have a very strong preference for their guy over the other guy. It isn't close for most.

Also going by posts, most seem to see one as much more likely to bust than the other as opposed to seeing one more likely to boom then the other.

By the time the draft is actually happening, mental/emotional fatigue will have sent some of them into the JJ camp. 🧐😛

By the draft????  some have given up and prefer to trade down for Penix.  By draft night I expect folks to start taking shots of Jäegermeister with one eye closed…

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Can I just say without anyone getting mad...

... that it gives me some comfort that Josh Harris will be present for the visits and can hopefully add his $0.02 to help make sure our subject matter experts in Peters and Quinn don't out-think themselves?

<runs and hides>

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Do the prospects interact with current players on the roster at all? I wonder if they'll have them mix with guys like Terry, BRob, Jon Allen, etc. and then get the vets' opinions on personality.

Maybe RGIII will be their to regale them with humble tales of his illustrious career in the hope that they may one day, meet his measure, and remind him of him.

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Can I just say without anyone getting mad...

... that it gives me some comfort that Josh Harris will be present for the visits and can hopefully add his $0.02 to help make sure our subject matter experts in Peters and Quinn don't out-think themselves?

<runs and hides>

I've got no problems with Harris... yet.

It's early in his tenure so I have to assume he is doing what anyone here would do if we took over as Owner of this franchise.

I'd be in every meeting imaginable.

35 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Sounds like JJ is the most extroverted, social, and comfortable under media lights, Maye is close, and the sense I get is Jayden is not, at all. 

In fairness to Jayden, if he's really ----ing good at the next level, nobody's gonna care much that he's shy and soft spoken, they'll listen a la Art Monk, and follow. 

Sometimes the quiet guy is the hardest worker and the Mouth guy is just that from what I have seen over the years.

• Like 2