Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, illone said:

So much YES!

we missed you, Ron. 

Now paddle that row boat one armed furiously back to Ashburn and get to work. 

If that doesn't bring home Ron's legacy here I don't know what would.  The idea of Ron making the pick is so comical that it easily fits an April Fools joke -- not because he's gone but because his epic level of incompetence

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We couldn't be in better hands

Finally! It only makes sense.

Hopefully he can get rid of all these linebackers and o-lineman while he’s at it.

Who needs em anyways?

• Like 1

Just now, WFT4Ever said:

Finally! It only makes sense.

Hopefully he can get rid of all these linebackers and o-lineman while he’s at it.

Who needs em anyways?

Riverboat Ron 2.0 back in action. We will finally have a SB caliber team!

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

How's footwork not a significant issue? It's literally one of the main separators for today's pocket and mobile QBs.

Decision-making is often directly tied to footwork. What you're concerned with here aligns with what you say you're not concerned with.

Footwork's a significant issue, I just don't believe it'll be a major issue for Maye *going forward* due to his (alleged) coachability, and the much better QB coaching I expect in Washington vs. what he apparently got (or didn't get, according to reports) at UNC.

Decision-making and footwork can definitely overlap, but I think Maye's decision-making issues go beyond that and are potentially a more serious problem.  I think we'll all hope he grows out of being the impulsive gunslinging little guy he is now, into a mature young man who's calm and collected no matter the game situation - you know, like Jayden Daniels. 😋

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dah-Dee said:

It's a significant issue, I just don't believe it'll be a major issue *going forward* due to his coachability, and the much better QB coaching I expect in Washington vs. what he apparently got (or didn't get, according to reports) at UNC.

Decision-making and footwork can definitely overlap, but I think Maye's decision-making issues go beyond that and are potentially a more serious problem. 

One thing I believe that goes into decision making is how well the QB is protected. If you are constantly being rushed you are going to make mistakes and have errand throws. We saw that with Howell last year as well. Forcing the ball instead of throwing away is at least coachable though. 

I think one of the things to also keep in mind with Maye's footwork at UNC is how he's gone back and forth. This is stuff I read from an interview with him. In HS he was mostly doing "pro style" drop back stuff (though he was in HS so it was probably pretty meh) but then during his first starting season at UNC their OC insisted he change his footwork to more of a "shuffle" drop back. Then this past season he had a new OC who insisted on moving back to a "pro style" drop back.

So he's sort of been see-sawing between very different types of footwork over the past few years. I could imagine that taking a toll on his consistency. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So he's sort of been see-sawing between very different types of footwork over the past few years. I could imagine that taking a toll on his consistency. 

Best April fool so far, well done.

• Thumb up 1

I watched a lot of Maye.  Among others here, I've watched a lot of QBs over the years.  And the two QBs that gave me red flags on decision making were Darnold and Rosen.  I didn't study either before the draft but did the years they were trade bait.  The thing that hit me about both was some of their decisions came off so dumb to me that i didn't believe that they saw the field well.  And plenty remember me trashing both QBs and being a loud no as for trading for them.

When I've watched Maye, I've seen none of that dumb style decision making.  For him, its more Favre style YOLO, where he falls in love with his ability to fit tight windows or over estimates his ability to throw off platform. 

He has a good rate of having a low number of interceptable balls according to PFF.  In other words, he's not a dude who throws a ton of balls in harms way.  Often his misses run wide of receiver when I watched him -- that is, away from the defender.

Don't get me wrong, he can improve on this front.  But IMHO when I've watched him I got zero red flags as to his decision making.  All QBs make some dumb decisions here and there.  but IMO his bad decisions are often hero ball related and that IMO is fixable.  I don't think Darnold and Rosen's decision making is fixable because it comes off to me that they don't see the field well. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Best April fool so far, well done.

You don't think being made to go through two completely different types of footwork and drop backs over a two year period between different OCs could have an impact on a young QB's footwork consistency? 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched a lot of Maye.  Among others here, I've watched a lot of QBs over the years.  And the two QBs that gave me red flags on decision making were Darnold and Rosen.  I didn't study either before the draft but did the years they were trade bait.  The thing that hit me about both was some of their decisions came off so dumb to me that i didn't believe that they saw the field well.  And plenty remember me trashing both QBs and being a loud no as for trading for them.

When I've watched Maye, I've seen none of that dumb style decision making.  For him, its more Favre style YOLO, where he falls in love with his ability to fit tight windows. 

He has a good rate of a low number of interceptable balls according to PFF. 

Don't get me wrong, he can improve on this front.  But IMHO when I've watched him I got zero red flags as to his decision making.  All QBs make some dumb decisions here and there.  but IMO his bad decisions are often hero ball related and that IMO is fixable.  I don't think Darnold and Rosen's decision making is fixable because it comes off to me that they don't see the field well. 

Absolutely love his aggressiveness, and this is a HUGE positive that I'll emphasize if he's selected. I'm all for the YOLO QB, especially if it comes with an elite arm, good size, and some ability to move around.

I just want to highlight that this is one of my favorite aspects about him and why I believe he has a chance to break free from the 70% zone of the average QB that we see each year in the NFL.

He also appears to believe that his aggressiveness is what sets him apart, which gives me confidence that he won't yield to coaches who try to play it safe to protect their jobs and put a governor on him.

• Like 1

Man watching the first ten minutes of the Maye I Have Your Attention video, he seems to think Maye has great post snap decision making and defense reading, and in the section on the bad it seems he just misses throws bc his feet are too happy sometimes.

32 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You don't think being made to go through two completely different types of footwork and drop backs over a two year period between different OCs could have an impact on a young QB's footwork consistency? 

Not really to be honest.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Not really to be honest.

Why? If you're going through two offensive systems in two years which are making you do two totally different ty[es of drop back footwork, how in the world would that not have any impact on footwork consistency?

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, mistertim said:

Why? If you're going through two offensive systems in two years which are making you do two totally different ty[es of drop back footwork, how in the world would that not have any impact on footwork consistency?

Sounds like an excuse to me. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, mistertim said:

Can you answer the question please? How would that sort of thing have no impact on a young QBs footwork development?

Maybe he’s just got poor footwork that will require significant work in the pro game.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Maybe he’s just got poor footwork that will require significant work in the pro game.

Maybe. Or maybe being made to do totally different styles of drop backs over his two starting seasons had an effect on developing consistent footwork. I know you don't really dig Maye, but I find it hard to believe that a person can't see how something like this could affect development of any QB.

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Maybe. Or maybe being made to do totally different styles of drop backs over his two starting seasons had an effect on developing consistent footwork. I know you don't really dig Maye, but I find it hard to believe that a person can't see how something like this could affect development of any QB.

I’ve come around on Maye, said that recently. 

You seem more isolated specifically on Maye and therefore, in my opinion, look for excuses instead of just acknowledging his shortfalls.

Maybe it has impacted that development, maybe not. Perhaps he’s just got naturally poor mechanics.

Driskell is the same size as Maye with similar style and measurables (aside from the massive hog) but not as much talent or gloriousness. Pretty clear indicator that we have fallen in love with Drake and will be selecting him with #2.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Driskell is the same size as Maye with similar style and measurables (aside from the massive hog) but not as much talent or gloriousness. Pretty clear indicator that we have fallen in love with Drake and will be selecting him with #2.

I thought with having the initials J.D it was a clear sign we were taking Daniels.

• Haha 3