Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

40 minutes ago, Forehead said:

It's all moot.  Jim Harbaugh is going to trade us Justin Herbert straight up for #2 so he can draft J.J. McCarthy.

Seems to me that the only attraction leading him to accept the job at LAC was Herbert.  I strongly doubt he trades him.  

A lot of those metrics suggest McCarthy is underrated in a number of ways, liking at least some of those numbers under pressure.  

Speaking of the difference between knowing where the other guys are vs. getting rocked like a Looney Tunes character, you don't see those hits much on McCarthy. He seems to know how to get down and even get an extra yard without taking big hits. He also is pretty good in the pocket.

And if you recall that trick play where he leaped up, made a one handed grab and threw a pretty on target pass while getting rocked (to Roman Wilson) vs. Alabama, that's the kind of 5 star athlete you're getting with him.

If I had my druthers, we'd skip Maye. I think Caleb probably will be special but I don't think the Bears are passing on him. The people who put Bo Nix there with McCarthy are huffing paint.

• Like 1

Metrics and numbers are difficult when it comes to college QBs. There is such a wide discrepancy in supporting cast, opposing talent, age etc.

Remember, you're drafting a guy based on how his traits and potential will develop and eventually translate in the pros, not for what he did strictly in college. Otherwise, Stetson Bennett would have been a 1st rounder.

Calab goes beyond Shady McCoy levels of "bread loafing" the ball. That could lead to a metric crap ton of fumbles.

Luckily that's not something that is crazy hard to fix. Spend some time working on running form so you don't have to pump your arms like your running track to reach high end speed when you have the ball in your hands.

On the other hand I think I fell better about his potential hand size/finger strength.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

LOL, every QB has highlights of them getting blown up (though he needs to protect himself better and did at the second half of the season)

Daniels stats in both of those games:

VS ranked Ole Miss

27/36

75% Completion Percentage

414 Passing Yards

4 Passing TDs

99 Rushing Yards

1 Rushing TD

VS Mississippi State

30/34

88% Completion Percentage

364 Passing Yards

2 Passing TDs

64 Rushing Yards

2 Rushing TDs

We get it. You really really like Daniels. But you have to be legally blind to miss how much he puts himself in harms way in a manner that would be utterly unsustainable in the NFL.

And his stats in those games have zero to do with the point made in the post. But you know that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

We get it. You really really like Daniels. But you have to be legally blind to miss how much he puts himself in harms way in a manner that would be utterly unsustainable in the NFL.

And his stats in those games have zero to do with the point made in the post. But you know that.

Did you miss this part (though he needs to protect himself better and did at the second half of the season)? 

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Did you miss this part (though he needs to protect himself better and did at the second half of the season)? 

Yes I noticed how you first minimized the issue with a caveated and backhanded admission and then proceeded to deflect away by posting stats that were irrelevant to the issue at hand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, formerly4skins said:

Can he not slide? Does he not understand protecting the most important player on the field?

Its teachable and its imperative he learns it.

If I draft JD I'm sending a slide coach to break into his bedroom on draft night. Holding a horse head.

He's gonna know I'm not playing games lol.

When everybody else is running laps he will be doing slide drills.

I won't be happy until he looks like he's on ice.

trea-turner-slide.gif.79b613c386158962b504a284a1dfa813.gif

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Its teachable and its imperative he learns it.

If I draft JD I'm sending a slide coach to break into his bedroom on draft night. Holding a horse head.

He's gonna know I'm not playing games lol.

When everybody else is running laps he will be doing slide drills.

I won't be happy until he looks like he's on ice.

trea-turner-slide.gif.79b613c386158962b504a284a1dfa813.gif

I remember the Jets hired ex Yankee manager Joe Girardi to teach Mark Sanchez how to slide.

I don't know if Drake Maye played baseball but members of his family did so there's a good chance he at least dabbled in it as a kid. Explains his ability to throw at weird arm angles. Another bonus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yes I noticed how you first minimized the issue with a caveated and backhanded admission and then proceeded to deflect away by posting stats that were irrelevant to the issue at hand.

The issue at hand has been addressed in this thread about a million times (and those clips or gifs have been posted numerous times) along with pages and pages of speculation about whether he can or can't gain weight. 

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The issue at hand has been addressed in this thread about a million times (and those clips or gifs have been posted numerous times) along with pages and pages of speculation about whether he can or can't gain weight. 

I am shocked that such things happen in a QB/draft speculation thread. I shall alert the proper authorities, post-haste.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I remember the Jets hired ex Yankee manager Joe Girardi to teach Mark Sanchez how to slide.

Yup a lot of teams do stuff like that.

But like any skill it takes time and repetition, just like learning proper passing footwork.

I think we did something similar for Griff, but not enough time was put in and he never learned consistent proper form. Dude's slide attempts were hideous. We had the slip n slide for Campbell, but a couple sessions on that was not enough and he caught a cleat due to bad form. Dudes who risk injuring themselves w/ bad sliding form obviously have reduced incentive to slide.

But, as long as the time and effort are put in, you can slide with the best of 'em. Even Brady and his lack of athleticism figured it out, although he liked to add a ninja kick...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Yup a lot of teams do stuff like that.

But like any skill it takes time and repetition, just like learning proper passing footwork.

I think we did something similar for Griff, but not enough time was put in and he never learned consistent proper form. Dude's slide attempts were hideous. We had the slip n slide for Campbell, but a couple sessions on that was not enough and he caught a cleat due to bad form. Dudes who risk injuring themselves w/ bad sliding form obviously have reduced incentive to slide.

But, as long as the time and effort are put in, you can slide with the best of 'em. Even Brady and his lack of athleticism figured it out, although he liked to add a ninja kick...

I think it's a combination of mental and physical and they both need to align or nothing will change long term. Mentally a guy has to be willing to let go of the superhero thing and realize that most of the time getting 7 yards and staying safe is better than getting 15 and facing potential injury from a huge hit. Physically, as you mentioned, he has to drill the sliding, etc. to where it's muscle memory.

52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Metrics and numbers are difficult when it comes to college QBs. There is such a wide discrepancy in supporting cast, opposing talent, age etc.

Remember, you're drafting a guy based on how his traits and potential will develop and eventually translate in the pros, not for what he did strictly in college. Otherwise, Stetson Bennett would have been a 1st rounder.

image.png.a04b7888ca442f4e27153784660be44f.png

• Haha 2

Anyway, it seems 100% certain that the Raiders are going to go after Jayden Daniels hard. I don't know how high they have to trade up but he and Antonio Pierce are super close and the people that Antonio are hiring for the Raiders are all very closely related to Daniels (plus the Devante and Crosby thing and him being in the Raiders locker room recently). I think the Giants really liked Maye, they did a massive amount of research on him. 

I think there will be a lot of movement closer to the draft for all these guys. The Vikings apparently tried really hard to move up for Anthony Richardson last year and I think they might try to make a move for someone this year too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Definite split among evaluators between Maye and Daniels at 2 overall. This guy was Director of College Scouting for the Giants for six seasons.

I wish they'd be more specific. The word "moxie," makes me think, "that's why he isn't a director of scouting anymore and oh yeah, the giants drafts have been ----- for years, so this explains a lot. It's nebulous nonsense. A gazillion QB's in college have "moxie," you gotta have more than moxie, what are the difference making tools, other than some vague personality trait that make him genuinely special (and I know he has some). Moxie is just so ----ing lazy. Come on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I wish they'd be more specific. The word "moxie," makes me think, "that's why he isn't a director of scouting anymore and oh yeah, the giants drafts have been ----- for years, so this explains a lot. It's nebulous nonsense. A gazillion QB's in college have "moxie," you gotta have more than moxie, what are the difference making tools, other than some vague personality trait that make him genuinely special (and I know he has some). Moxie is just so ----ing lazy. Come on. 

Even his Moxie has Moxie... that's basically Moxie.... can't pass on Moxie like that, what are you thinking?!?!?!?? 

😉

14 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

My favorite nebulous phrase when describing a QB is "He's a gamer"

Always makes me think of the dude sitting in his basement playing Call of Duty or something.

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Anyway, it seems 100% certain that the Raiders are going to go after Jayden Daniels hard. I don't know how high they have to trade up but he and Antonio Pierce are super close and the people that Antonio are hiring for the Raiders are all very closely related to Daniels (plus the Devante and Crosby thing and him being in the Raiders locker room recently). I think the Giants really liked Maye, they did a massive amount of research on him. 

I think there will be a lot of movement closer to the draft for all these guys. The Vikings apparently tried really hard to move up for Anthony Richardson last year and I think they might try to make a move for someone this year too. 

Takes two to tango, though. Chicago, Washington, New England seem pretty set on going QB 1-2-3. Not sure Jerod Mayo is going to be too excited about Jimmy G vs. Daniels.

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

My favorite nebulous phrase when describing a QB is "He's a gamer"

Always makes me think of the dude sitting in his basement playing Call of Duty or something.

All I envision is a GM who is no longer a GM, a scout who doesn't scout for a reason, a dinosaur. 

He said other things, like poise, but everything he's talking about is largely open to bias and unmeasurable. Tell me and show me what he does that makes him uniquely different, don't tell me about a trait shared by 90% of all successful college QB's (of which there are dozens). You don't start in college football w/o some moxie and poise, you would never get that far in the first place without it unless you had absurdly ridiculous tools and nothing else (like an Eason, or, unfair to him, an Everett). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

There are a ton of pretty well known stories in college football where he basically asked the coach to put the ball in his hands in tight games against better teams or go for 2 to win instead of kicking a field goal to tie? I assume thats what they mean. Brian Kelly and Herm Edwards have talked about it a bunch 

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

They tried to trade up last year. They apparently wanted Anthony Richardson badly but couldn't make it work. I wonder who they could be targeting this year? It was apparently Richardson's combine performance that sealed it for them

Edited by ThatNFLChick