Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Now, here's another one. Lets go sack by sack. 

Arizona - Was
(+4)    3    7    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -1)
(+1)    6    7    Joshua Dobbs sacked  (Even)
(+1)    6    7    Sam Howell sacked  (Howell -1)
(+1)    6    7    Sam Howell sacked  (Howell -1)
(-5)    12    7    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)
(-6)    16    10    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -3)
(-6)    16    10    Sam Howell sacked  (Howell -4)
(-6)    16    10    Joshua Dobbs sacked  (Howell -3)
(+4)    16    20    Joshua Dobbs sacked (Howell -2)

So if you see what I'm doing, I'm just basically doing a tug of war game between the QBs to see who is winning the sack Battle and who is better at avoiding the sacks. 

On to game two. 

Was - Denver
(0)    0    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -1)
(0)    0    0    Russell Wilson (Even)
(-17)    0    7    Sam Howell _ (Howell -1)
(-11)    3    14    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)
(-18)    3    21    Russell Wilson sacked (Howell -1)
(-7)    14    21    Russell Wilson sacked (Even)
(0)    21    21    Sam Howell sacked  Howell -1
(0)    21    21    Russell Wilson sacked (Even)
(+11)    35    24    Russell Wilson sacked (Wilson -1)
(+11)    35    24    Russell Wilson sacked (Wilson -2)
(+11)    35    24    Russell Wilson sacked (Wilson -3)

So Howell won the sack battle with Wilson. 

Buf - WAS
(-3)    3    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -1)
(-3)    3    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)
(-3)    3    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -3)
(-16)    16    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -4)
(-16)    16    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -5)
(-30)    30    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -6)
(-30)    30    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -7)
(-37)    37    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -8)
(-37)    37    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -9)

Was - PHI
(+7)    7    0    Jalen Hurts sacked (Hurts -1)
(+7)    14    7    Sam Howell sacked (Even)
(+7)    14    7    Jalen Hurts sacked (Hurts -1)
(+7)    14    7    Sam Howell sacked (Even)
(-4)    17    21    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -1)
(-4)    17    21    Jalen Hurts sacked (Even)
(0)    24    24    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -1)
(-7)    24    31    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)

Chi - WAS
(0)    0    0    Justin Fields sacked (Fields -1)
(-10)    10    0    Sam Howell sacked (Even)
(-14)    17    3    Justin Fields sacked (Fields -1)
(-16)    27    11    Justin Fields sacked (Fields -2)
(-16)    27    11    Sam Howell sacked (Fields -1)
(-10)    30    20    Sam Howell sacked (Even)
(-17)    37    20    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -1)
(-17)    37    20    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)

Was - Atl
(0)    0    0    Sam Howell (Howell -1)
(+3)    3    0    Desmond Ridder (Even)
(+7)    17    10    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -1)
(+7)    17    10    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)
(+14)    24    10    Desmond Ridder sacked (Howell -1)
(+14)    24    10    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)
(+8)    24    16    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -3)
(+8)    24    16    Desmond Ridder sacked (Howell -2)

Was - NYG
(0)    0    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -1)
(0)    0    0    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)
(0)    0    0    Tyrod Taylor sacked (Howell -1)
(-7)    0    7    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)
(-14)    0    14    Tyrod Taylor sacked (Howell -1)
(-14)    0    14    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)
(-14)    0    14    Tyrod Taylor sacked (Howell -1)
(-14)    0    14    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -2)
(-14)    0    14    Sam Howell sacked (Howell -3)
(-7)    7    14    Tyrod Taylor sacked (Howell -2)

Phi - WAS
(+11)    3    14    Jalen Hurts sacked (Hurts -1)
(+7)    10    17    Jalen Hurts sacked (Hurts -2)
(-7)    31    24    Sam Howell sacked (Hurts -1)

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Only in Commie Land do we think a top 10 potential QB isn’t good enough.

Not much of a debate for me. It would be fairly irrational to totally give up on him. He’s getting first go in 2024 from me. I certainly wouldn’t replace him with a vet QB.

I mean, if one of the top 2 draft prospects fall to us, you have a choice to make. But Howell looks like he’s heading in the right direction if he’s looked after correctly. 

• Thumb up 1

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is before my time but there is a guy who has been called the best pure passer of all time but they didn't want him as the QB because George Allen was a defensive minded coach and wanted Billy Kilmer 

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We've been spoiled like the Packers, first Fave and then Aaron Rodgers.  Ramsey, Campbell, RG3, Haskins (RIP) hall of fame talent.  So the expectations are high. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I know some say who cares about passing yards.  I agree to some extent that its not by far the key metric to judge.  But for a dude who has only played half a season in his career to throw this much and still have a good completion rate or for those anayltic driven adjusted completion rate.   Guess who had really bad adjusted completion rates last year?  Shocker -- Redacted and Wentz.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The next step is to chain some solid performances together. Especially against a team not from Philly(they are dead last in pass defense I believe).

Sadly Philly's pass defense is ahead of our own.   Philly is 27 out of 32 and we are 29 out of 32 (though I only went by total yards, not yards per game, so byes are not factored in).

Edited by philibusters

On 11/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, Thinking Skins said:

Those were my three favorite guys in that class, I think I had them: 1. Willis 2. Howell 2B. Corral

My concern with Corral, like most people, was size. Its kind of funny that both he and Young are undersized guys in Carolina. 

Willis seems done, for now anyway, and should leave via trade in the offseason. Highly unlikely he gets another bite at the apple there, if Levis busts, they'll draft another QB, not turn to him. 

On 11/1/2023 at 11:35 AM, Rufus T Firefly said:

Using counting stats for QBs is pretty ridiculous. He's 16th in Passer rating, 20th in QBR. Nothing to sneeze at in either case. But not top 10 or particularly close to it, and those ratings are much more indicative of QB play, though far from perfect. 

Kinda points to my big issue. That was a terrible QB class ('22), Howell was the steal of it because he was every bit the talent of the guys who went ahead of him on day 1, day 2 and day 3, and as such, was almost a mind blowing steal in terms of draft capital cost versus value, especially now that everyone taken ahead of him clearly looks like a bust or injury prone and unproven. But it also underlines what my issue is, which is: we don't really know what he is, at all. We just know he clearly can play in the league. But is he good enough as a long term starter? Total unknown, he's just pretty clearly, adequate as a short term answer, but an unknown beyond that. 

The team should, if it's in the trade up zone after the season (top 10ish pick), work aggressively to move up to get another QB. If Howell is what people hope he is, he will still be a highly valuable asset for trade (see Wentz w/the Eagles), and if he isn't, we got our backup plan in Howell (Hurts). If we stick with him, like we did with Haskins, or like we did with Ramsey and a vet in '04, or Campbell ahead of the falling Rodgers in '05, we will pay dearly for that. We should use the only example that ever worked at the position in my lifetime in the draft (the taking Cousins even after RGIII move), and double down on the position. Use FA and remaining draft capital to address the OL. 

Do I think they'll do that? Honestly I think part of the reason behind the trades was the desire to get ammo to have the flexibility to pursue either tract: providing help for Howell or replacing him. If Howell continues to play as he has, or improve a bit, I do tend to think they'll go OL in round 1, if he doesn't, I think they trade up. That's obvious, I imagine, but my problem remains, I think they should 100% move up for QB, regardless. Howell alone in that room among long term potential answers is simply not good enough for anyone sane. The fact that we could have a new HC, and new GM next year could change the play and make them more aggressive at the position, but historically thats simply meant going after veteran stop gaps like Freisz, the Gator QB's, Brad Johnson, Boonell, McNabb, and Alex Smith. It will be interesting if the team is just smarter, and goes after a blue chipper. We'll see. For those obsessed with getting the OL's first, I'll just point to the litany of ALL Pro OL's we had protecting the QB from 1999 to Trent Williams's departure for the niners, nearly 20 years, and it meant ---- all because we didn't have the QB. You need both, and if you're in the zone to get a QB, you always pull the trigger, you can use FA and future classes (and this one) to fix the OL issue, fixing QB is far harder. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 12:42 PM, PeterMP said:

He's not completing around 75% of his passes.

He's 66.9% which is 14th and between Mac Jones and Gino Smith.

Here's playerprofiler's breakdown on relevant stats:

Sam Howell Stats & Fantasy Ranking - PlayerProfiler

Short hand:

YPA/AYA

19th and 22nd

Air Yards per attempt:

15th

Accuracy Rating:

16th

True Completion Percentage:

10th

Deep Ball Completion Percentage:

18th

Pressured Completion Percentage:

6th

Play Action Comp Pct:

31st

Red Zone Comp Pct

19th

Clean Pocket Comp Pct

19th

True Passer Rating:

18th

QBR:

12th

Extra Points Added:

12th

Production Premium:

9th

Receiver Target Separation:

30th

Dropped Passes:

15th

There's a lot more but I'm getting tired.

You look at these deeper #'s and he's largely quite promising, especially considering all the problems. 

20 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

/fI don't know if Hurts is more mobile than Sam so much as Hurts plays behind an O-line where even if a defense has good coverage, that O-line more times than not is holding their blocks and giving Hurts clean rushing lanes to escape.  When Howell drops back, often times if he isn't throwing the ball in 2.5 seconds, the O-line has been pushed back in multiple directions making it a lot more difficult to escape.

To me a good sign with Howell was the first Eagles game vs 2nd Eagles game.  Statistically he was good in both, but last Sunday for the most part Howell looked next level decisive, quick, and determined on a lot of those drop backs.  He was hitting his the height of his drop back and letting the ball go, and usually highly accurate to players who weren't breaking their stride.  I think sometimes rookies/first year starters sometimes tend to play a bit more robotically because they are trying to process so much brand new stuff in their head on every pass play that they aren't comfortable yet just going out there and playing football.  Howell looked like he was playing football last Sunday.

He's 100% more mobile. 4.59 forty vs 4.72. I don't have a red cone for either of them in terms of agility. but the fact that Hurts ran for 3000 yards for Alabama and Oklahoma tells you plenty, as does his 1500 yards rushing combined from his first two seasons  as a full time starter. You can also just look at the tape. I think Howell is a skilled scrambler with quality vision which is why he took middling to above average running skills and ran for a ton of yards in '21 despite that "ummm, meh" top end speed and acceleration. 

Looking at the advanced stats with playerprofiler, it isn't all roses in there, but it's good news for a QB whose only started 9 games in his first two seasons combined. We don't know if we have a stud or not, but we do know we have at bare minimum, a guy with plug and play ability, and maybe top 10-15 if things break right (w/a probable ceiling of top 8, and floor of 16th-23rd). 

One other piece from player profiler that was really interesting was his completion rates versus zone and man. Probably not surprising but interesting:

Vs man under a bunch of different metrics he's basically in the low to high 20's (20th, 25th and 29th respectively)

Vs zone he's consistently in the middle, 12th, 14th, and 15th. 

5 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Can Howell be a top level QB (and I mean really top 4 is the key IMO)?  And can you get somebody that will become one for reasonable value?  are going to be two important questions for this team this off season.

If you believe that the only path to a Super Bowl win is a top 4 QB I disagree. Also having a top 4 QB is no guarantee of success either. NFL history tells us that.

Matt Stafford is not a top 4 guy. Neither was the combination of Wentz and Foles. 

Going further back Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl and a QB as great as Peyton Manning only won two - the last which was despite him not because of him. 

More than one way to skin a cat and a QB who is top 10 gives you a chance if there is a team around him. 

The Play Action Completion Percentage rate being 31st is infuriating because the cause is so clear. That’s supposed to be a ****ing cheat code for a QB. No, it’s not even because we don’t run the ball! You don’t have to run the ball for PA to work (though we are probably pushing the boundaries of that truth).

It’s because we call so few PA passes, and when we do they are almost always meant to target the sideline deep. Which is just ****ing difficult. EB doesn’t use PA nearly enough and he almost never uses it for easier passes in the middle of the field, or even for big seam-busters. That’s just malpractice with a young QB you’re asking to throw the ball 40+ times a game each week, period. PA is a QB’s best friend and opens up so many wide open receivers when used smartly, it’s supposed to pump up a QB’s completion percentage and production. Sometimes to the point that it needs to be accounted for to find what the QB’s true contested passing down production is. So the fact that Howell is producing as he is, and completing passes at the rate he is, without heavy PA inflation is actually extremely impressive. This a scheme and playcalling issue and we aren’t witnessing Howell’s ceiling, even at this point in his development, because of it. 

Edited by Conn
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If you believe that the only path to a Super Bowl win is a top 4 QB I disagree. Also having a top 4 QB is no guarantee of success either. NFL history tells us that.

Matt Stafford is not a top 4 guy. Neither was the combination of Wentz and Foles. 

Going further back Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl and a QB as great as Peyton Manning only won two - the last which was despite him not because of him. 

More than one way to skin a cat and a QB who is top 10 gives you a chance if there is a team around him. 

I think you need a good to very good QB who has the potential to get hot and play at an elite level over a one month span. 

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

The Play Action Completion Percentage rate being 31st is infuriating because the cause is so clear. That’s supposed to be a ****ing cheat code for a QB. No, it’s not even because we don’t run the ball! You don’t have to run the ball for PA to work (though we are probably pushing the boundaries of that truth).

It’s because we call so few PA passes, and when we do they are almost always meant to target the sideline deep. Which is just ****ing difficult. EB doesn’t use PA nearly enough and he almost never uses it for easier passes in the middle of the field, or even for big seam-busters. That’s just malpractice with a young QB you’re asking to throw the ball 40+ times a game each week, period. PA is a QB’s best friend and opens up so many wide open receivers when used smartly, it’s supposed to pump up a QB’s completion percentage and production. Sometimes to the point that it needs to be accounted for to find what the QB’s true contested passing down production is. So the fact that Howell is producing as he is, and completing passes at the rate he is, without heavy PA inflation is actually extremely impressive. This a scheme and playcalling issue and we aren’t witnessing Howell’s ceiling, even at this point in his development, because of it. 

Another problem is that we don't do traditional under center hand offs often enough. Shotgun play action isn't anywhere near as useful.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

You need a Top 5 QB to get you in the conversation of winning a SB.  If you're a Top 10 QB, it can still happen, but you need really talented pieces around you to get the job done.  Look at the teams that are SB contenders this year.  The only teams with Top 10 QB's that aren't serious contenders are the Vikings (Cousins), and the Chargers (Herbert).  In the case of the Vikings, they simply reverting back to form from last year, where they were the best team in NFL history in one score games (11-1) plus Cousins just tore his Achilles, so there goes their chances at any realistic shot at contention.  In the case of the Chargers, they have a terrible HC AND their highly paid defensive isn't performing up to par.  Every other team that has a Top 10 QB is a threat to win the SB.  If you don't have a Top 10 QB, then you won't win a SB, simple as that.  You're not beating top tier QB's like Mahommes, Burrow or Hurts in the postseason, if the QB on the other side isn't on that level.  San Francisco is an interesting case, because before their 3-game slide, we were wondering if Purdy was ascending before our eyes into that Top 10 plateau.  It's clear now that he's kind of a system QB, and that Shanahan is a great offensive mind in creating the SF offense to make a less talented QB like Purdy flourish.

50 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I will say Howell and the passing game is the only reason I have any interest in watching games the remainder of the year.

Man if he really can develop into a legit top 10 ish QB...

I think it would be great if they had a game where they didn't have one called running play.  Just throw the damn ball on every play and see what happens.

(This is an exaggeration.  Not by much, but an exaggeration. )

26 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Wentz was having an MVP season the year he got hurt and they won the SB.  He's never come close to that again.  But he might have won MVP if he had stayed healthy and played through the season....

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm in the minority, but I'm not sure that's true.  

Jackson is a former MVP, and he's currently playing at or above the level of his 2020 MVP season.  If he wins multiple MVP awards, he's definitely in that Top 5 QB list.  The only thing missing from his resume is playoff wins.  If he gets to an AFCG, he's definitely in the Top 5 conversation.  Herbert has incompetent coaching that he has to deal with on a weekly basis, so that's why he doesn't win as regularly as someone with his talent should.  He's a Top 5 QB in my opinion, no doubt.  Until they fire Staley, and hire a competent coach to guide that team, the Chargers will never be a serious SB contender (to no fault of Herbert).

Edited by samy316

27 minutes ago, MartinC said:

True on Marino.  Greatest waste of QB talent in NFL history.  

Manning, though, did get to 2 others.  One with the Colts when they got beat by the Saints in a really entertaining game, and then the one with the Broncos coming off of a GREAT regular season, and then they ran into the legion of boom Seahawks defense and a -38 degree day in New York for the first cold weather SB, and that was that.  Getting to 4 SBs I think qualifies as being an outstanding achievement even if he "only" won 2.  Elway got to 5, but only won 2 also.  Jim Kelly got to 4, won none.  

PS: I'm not debating your point at all.  I agree with you.  Just pointing out some history....

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-sam-howell-development-eric-bieniemy-offense-week-9

Washington Commanders' Sam Howell 'Right Where He Needs to Be,' Says Eric Bieniemy

Washington Commanders quarterback Sam Howell has had an up-and-down start to the year, but Eric Bieniemy says in terms of his development, he is right where he needs to be.

The Washington Commanders currently sit at 3-5 on the season with the New England Patriots up next for Ron Rivera's team.

Part of why the Commanders have had an up-and-down start to the season has been due to Sam Howell being the starter.

Now, that's not a slight at Howell, who showed against the Philadelphia Eagles, that he can torch a good secondary.

But due to Howell's inexperience, things don't always go smoothly and that has been seen through the first eight games - but is Howell developing into the team's franchise quarterback?

Offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy thinks so.

“You know what? I think Sam is right where he needs to be,” Bieniemy said. “He's making the necessary steps moving forward. We just got to find ways to make sure that we continue to take care of business so we can continue with the improvement.”

Through eight games, Howell has thrown for 2,146 yards, 13 touchdowns, and eight interceptions while completing 66.9% of his passes. That'll work for a young player.

But Howell will get another test of his talent on Sunday as he will be facing Bill Belichick's defense. Now, New England's defense under Belichick isn't like the ones of previous years as they give up 26 points per game (ranks 26th), but one thing that Belichick can always hang his hat on, is his ability to confuse young quarterbacks.

For Bieniemy, he knows what kind of challenge is in front of Howell and his offense.

“Every week will be a huge test, but obviously when you're going against Bill Belichick and his defense, there's always a challenge," Bieniemy said. "These guys are pretty good. They do a hell of a job. They're a well-coached staff, they got some good players. We got to go out and be on top of our game. More than anything, we got to find a way to finish. We got to find a way to make plays when needed and we got to find a way to finish.”

With Howell showing signs of progression in a team that has struggled of late, Sunday presents another chance to show that he is the player to lead Washington into this new era.

It will be a tall order, but if Howell can lead the Commanders to a win at Gillette Stadium, then he will be exactly where he needs to be - and that's being the franchise quarterback for Washington.

3 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Jackson is a former MVP, and he's currently playing at or above the level of his 2020 MVP season.  If he wins multiple MVP awards, he's definitely in that Top 5 QB list.  The only thing missing from his resume is playoff wins.  If he gets to an AFCG, he's definitely in the Top 5 conversation.  Herbert has incompetent coaching that he has to deal with on a weekly basis, so that's why he doesn't win as regularly as someone with his talent should.  He's a Top 5 QB in my opinion, no doubt.  Until they fire Staley, and hire a competent coach to guide that team, the Chargers will never be a serious SB contender (to no fault of Herbert).

Jackson misses a ton of time and fails in the playoffs consistently.  Herbert ... misses throws in the most inopportune times.  I've watched enough games to actually see, he has had numerous opportunitites to do good thing and just flat missed throws. 

Both are CLEARLY top 10.  I could put Jackson top 5 at the moment, but I see them as basically 6-8.  

I'd take either.  But watching Herbert's games, I think there's something going on at crunch time.  Not all the time, but he's gagged in a number of critical situations.  

On an entirely separate note, Bram and Callow were going on and on and on about Hallock and how he's got this season all lined up for him to QB the Falcons to the playoffs.

We'll see.  

They do have the Vikings this week, and they are down to QB 3 and 4, so who knows how this week will turn out.  I really hope the Vikings watched some film from last year and know how to shut down an offense QBed by a guy who only can throw the ball 11 yards.  But, I don't have a ton of faith in them, honestly.  

It will be interesting to see how it goes for Hallock.

19 hours ago, KDawg said:

Holy biscuits, folks.

Holy biscuits.

We are breaking down Sam Howell like he’s supposed to be a top 5 QB right now in his “rookie year of starts” with an abysmal OL and mixed playcalling.

Even sans that, he was NEVER GOING TO BE A TOP 5 guy this year. He just wasn’t. Not many rookies come in and get to that level. I’m almost inclined to say ever.

”I don’t see him getting there, either.” C’mon. You could say this about 95% of the quarterbacks to come out and you’d be right. This is a high percentage “I was right” shot just to shoot.

it’s absolutely insane how we’re arguing about one of the more successful overall players on the team this year in a way that makes it seem like he’s disappointed. 

He’s made mistakes. He’s going to keep making them. That’s what young QBs do.

Yes, he throws a lot. Yes, his stats are skewed (that goes for the negative ones, too, like sacks and interceptions) Yes, #9 in accuracy is more than adequate considering the playcalls and the line. No, it’s not considered elite.

So what?

Let the kid develop before we nit pick him to death.

Oh, and he may not pan out. That’s absolutely true. But let’s let him develop. He’s better than 85% of this forum ever gave him a shot of being.

”he’s a fifth rounder for a reason…”

Has somehow morphed into, “he’s a fifth rounder for a reason but I want him To be Patrick Mahomes right now”

Make it make sense. 

I normally live Data Scientist perspectives on QBs but this guy made me really mad to the point where I wanted to prove him wrong. Not Howell prove him wrong. Me prove him wrong. People told me I was being quoted on JP Finlay's show for my tweets showing so the examples showing that people have turned their sack rates around. Then on Craig Hoffman and Chris Russell and Kevin Sheehan for the same reason more or less.  

Though I've kinda started ignoring the negative DS guys because they're just going to post t what they want to post. But I'm now a part of that community and I'm sharing analytics with them that tell of Howell and different things about his career.