Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sound like if they lose, howell starts the last game. 

I don’t think there is a likely scenario where the last game is not meaningful. If they lose this weekend they will probably getting bumped from the playoff spot by one of the teams behind them. But they can always (hypothetically) retake that lead in Week 18, assuming the other games haven’t been played already. 

edit- was pointed out that since the Lions and Packers play each other week 18, Washington can be eliminated this weekend with a loss and Lions and Packers both winning. 

Edited by TheGoodBits
  • Like 1

I never thought Wentz was that bad personally, his worst is what the kids call "mid" these days. And he never had an implosion like Taylor did in the 2nd half. His worst by far was the Eagles game, he didn't do **** that game. He can be a statue in the pocket and doesn't have the mobility, but IF he is given time to throw he can really use the weapons we have downfield.

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

The real shocking news (to some) is when Taylor won’t be on the roster next year 

The epicaricacy real.

Hail to the Schnyder-freudes

Just now, TheGoodBits said:

I don’t think there is a likely scenario where the last game is not meaningful. If they lose this weekend they will probably getting bumped from the playoff spot by one of the teams behind them. But they can always (hypothetically) retake that lead in Week 18, assuming the other games haven’t been played already. 

I think that's the point of just saying "meaningful". If week 18 is meaningless, Howell starts. If we still have hope, Wentz starts.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Although the rally came up short, the minimal playing time both spotlighted Wentz’s strengths and raised questions about Washington’s plan going forward. With Heinicke, the team had shifted to a run-first identity, relying heavily on the production of backs Brian Robinson Jr. and Antonio Gibson. It remains to be seen if Washington will keep a similar approach with Wentz as the starter or slip back into an offense that makes the passing game a focal point.

“The identity obviously has kind of evolved throughout the year, which has been cool to see and cool to see guys kind of fall into their own identity too within this offense,” Wentz said Saturday. “When I was in there, all bets were off. We had to go score.”

Wentz’s second shot as a starter also gives him an opportunity to do what he couldn’t last season. The Colts’ two losses to end their season kept them out of the playoffs and ultimately led to the trade of Wentz to Washington. Now, with the Browns and Dallas Cowboys awaiting, the Commanders need to win out to have the best chance of making the playoffs.

“It’s nice to still be in control of our destiny; you know the old cliche,” Wentz said. “But it’s real. It’s true. Obviously, coming off a couple tough ones, close ones, is tough, but at the same time, to have control of our destiny means a lot with where we started this year and everything we’ve gone through as a team.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/12/28/carson-wentz-taylor-heinicke-commanders/

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Man I sure hope we don't see the sack-sack-3-and-out first half offense we saw for a good stretch of the Wentz era. I think the move is warranted, Heinicke did not play good at all.

But at the same time I cannot get excited for this move. Garrett is going to have a field day probably.

9 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

If we lose and Lions and Packers both win, we are eliminated though. Not that unlikely of a scenario imo.

Edited by Panninho

If this was a movie its a perfect set up for Wentz.

A.  Colts bombed this season with their "savior" Matt Ryan.  their season imploded.

B.  the last 2 games last year he played poorly and he helped seal the Colts out of the playoffs including losing to the apparently to some here infamous Derek Carr in a critical game. 😀

Now he can either double down on not being the dude in big games per his reputation whether its justified or not or be the hero and take them to the playoffs and shove it down Irsay's throat. 

He seems like a nice guy, I got some doubts but I am rooting for him of course and think he at least has a good fighting chance to pull it off. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

They can be eliminated this weekend with a loss and. Packers and lions win 

• Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe Ron moves to the FO and we can go steal Ben Johnson away from the Lions and sign Goff (I think he'll be a FA.). Promote Kerrigan to DC.

This seems like a highly unlikely series of events especially if we keep Ron in the office but probably a bad idea either way.

I realize the league is moving towards young innovative guys as head coaches but Ron is old school and I'd be very surprised if he thought it was a good idea to have a 36 year old head coach with one year as a coordinator and a 34 year old defensive coordinator with one year as a coach.

I've been seeing this in the last few days. 

The national media loves Heinicke.  And as we mentioned this off season, they hate Wentz like poison.

Another reason why I am rooting hard for Wentz.  The hatred IMO is unjustified.   It's amazing how snarky they are about Wentz.  You'd think he has the personality of Jeff George and Jay Cutler wrapped together the way they crap on him.

And i am not a Wentz guy based on what I've seen so far.  But i also don't see him as the worst QB in the league as some in the national media do.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

This seems like a highly unlikely series of events especially if we keep Ron in the office but probably a bad idea either way.

I realize the league is moving towards young innovative guys as head coaches but Ron is old school and I'd be very surprised if he thought it was a good idea to have a 36 year old head coach with one year as a coordinator and a 34 year old defensive coordinator with one year as a coach.

It'll be all the same coaches next year, unless someone signs Chris Harris away to be a DC. I know that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Yeah, there's really only one scenario where they're eliminated.  

But I agree with Galdi's opinion that unless the decision on Wentz is already made, they didn't really get a great look at him this year.  What's one game of Howell gonna show?

Edited by justice98

Going with Wentz is the right call.  Our offense was limited with TH, now we can at least threaten with vertical routes.  But I hope the passing game remains similar: short, quick routes to compensate for our depleted line and Wentz's immobility.  

Its more on Turner than it is on Wentz imo. 

We know our WRs will be ready.  Robinson and Gibson will be ready to grind it out.  Hopefully Wentz presence opens up the running game a bit too.  Would love to see b Rob get some more open space in the box, I do think we haven't seen the best of him yet.  

I think we beat the Browns.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Going with Wentz is the right call.  Our offense was limited with TH, now we can at least threaten with vertical routes.  But I hope the passing game remains similar: short, quick routes to compensate for our depleted line and Wentz's immobility.  

Its more on Turner than it is on Wentz imo. 

We know our WRs will be ready.  Robinson and Gibson will be ready to grind it out.  Hopefully Wentz presence opens up the running game a bit too.  Would love to see b Rob get some more open space in the box, I do think we haven't seen the best of him yet.  

I think we beat the Browns.

Gibby is out for a bit.