Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Conn said:

The coaching staff is a much bigger problem. Brady can mitigate a mediocre OL and has many times in his career—but only when he’s not constantly being put in  3rd and 8+ situations by poor early down playcalling. The game the other day their average 3rd down was 3rd and 10.5. That’s horrific, and it’s on playcalling not just the OL. 

Just curious, what source is giving you an average of 3rd and 10.5?  Are you talking about the SF game?  I went through the play log and it was more like 6.4 yards on third down.  They did have two drives that got burned by holds where they had a 3 and 18 and a 3rd and 14.  

Edited by Ball Security

59 minutes ago, Conn said:

The coaching staff is a much bigger problem. Brady can mitigate a mediocre OL and has many times in his career—but only when he’s not constantly being put in  3rd and 8+ situations by poor early down playcalling. The game the other day their average 3rd down was 3rd and 10.5. That’s horrific, and it’s on playcalling not just the OL. 

To further enhance my point, here’s a Bucs beat writer who is extremely informed, arguing that the OL doesn’t actually need much work. He’s been posting endlessly about the crimes against humanity that Leftwich and Bowles have been committing all season, though. 

Not sure Brady would put up with that actually......weird that he is constantly yelling at the dudes. But maybe Ledyard knows better in the long run.

5 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

Oh please.  This is practically on the goal line.  You want to watch a master class in the QB faking out even the cameraman?  Watch Rypien against the Falcons in week 10 in 1991.  Go to the 1:20:22 mark.  (Remove the space.)

www.youtube.com/ watch?v=vSgBHo7-g_A

That's impressive, considering he ran like 12 yards vertically and 8 horizontally.

28 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Just curious, what source is giving you an average of 3rd and 10.5?  Are you talking about the SF game?  I went through the play log and it was more like 6.4 yards on third down.  They did have two drives that got burned by holds where they had a 3 and 18 and a 3rd and 14.  

I think it might’ve been a halftime stat I saw or some other point in the game—but it wasn’t early on. You’re probably right that by the end of the game it had evened out more given Brady was throwing more in garbage time.

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

I think it might’ve been a halftime stat I saw or some other point in the game—but it wasn’t early on. You’re probably right that by the end of the game it had evened out more given Brady was throwing more in garbage time.

The only time that could have made sense would have been at the end of the first quarter where they had three third downs.  One being a 3rd and 18.  But, at that point, SF was averaging a 3rd and 11. 

It jumped out at me because that is really hard to do.  I thought there must have been a hold-sack-sack drive that  skewed things, but they only had two 3rd and 10+ for the game.  Their third downs were roughly distributed equally among 3rd and 3 or less, 3rd and 4-7, and 3rd and 8+.  That seems like it’s pretty typical.  There were six 3rd and 8+.  Four of those started with a pass on first down.

Stop with this Howell fantasy. Ron is coaching for his long term

future next year. He has 2 more years left on his deal. Ron’s going to want an extension after the 23 season. It’s been pointed out many times that coaches don’t like going into the final year of a contract without getting an extension. Doesn’t always happen. 23 is going to be a prove it year for Ron, to the new owner. Ron probably has to at minimum, win a playoff game in 23. Ron’s not going to go with Sam. Ron may resign Taylor but would only turn to him, if his starter was injured or played poorly.  Ron will go with a veteran stopgap in 23. He may give Carson another shot, if Carson reduces his salary. Or he will sign another stopgap veteran.

50 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

He has 2 more years left on his deal. Ron’s going to want an extension after the 23 season. 

Got to admit I have been more inclined to think he’s ready for getting out. But his statement yesterday of being here for many years to come....yeah he must fancy being here for the longer term. After the **** he’s dealt with it’s probably reasonable enough to expect him to fancy a gig with shiny new owners.

18 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Got to admit I have been more inclined to think he’s ready for getting out. But his statement yesterday of being here for many years to come....yeah he must fancy being here for the longer term. After the **** he’s dealt with it’s probably reasonable enough to expect him to fancy a gig with shiny new owners.

But there’s no gaurantee. His last experience with a shiney new owner got him fired. The new owner will eventually want his own guy and he may want his own guy in year 1; even if he takes over later in the offseason.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

Reference "will go from there" IMO Ron is being motivationally shrewd by not committing to Heinicke because Taylor plays better in an underdog role and not being a named starter.

He's not committing to Heini, because he hasn't looked very good the last two weeks and it's possible his arm got gassed again like last year. This week will be huge for him.

Can't run it to death against the 49ers or Cowboys. We'll need an actual passing game and that's not his strength.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The only time that could have made sense would have been at the end of the first quarter where they had three third downs.  One being a 3rd and 18.  But, at that point, SF was averaging a 3rd and 11. 

It jumped out at me because that is really hard to do.  I thought there must have been a hold-sack-sack drive that  skewed things, but they only had two 3rd and 10+ for the game.  Their third downs were roughly distributed equally among 3rd and 3 or less, 3rd and 4-7, and 3rd and 8+.  That seems like it’s pretty typical.  There were six 3rd and 8+.  Four of those started with a pass on first down.

This is where I got it, based on the time it looks like this must be from around halftime

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's not committing to Heini, because he hasn't looked very good the last two weeks and it's possible his arm got gassed again like last year. This week will be huge for him.

Can't run it to death against the 49ers or Cowboys. We'll need an actual passing game and that's not his strength.

In theory, having 3 out of the last four games at home should be a strength but Heinicke's lack of arm strength will be more exposed in the cold.    

Also, Heinicke seems cowed by the Cowboys.  You'd think based on his statements that the Cowboys defense is historically good, better than the 85 Bears. 

And the Giants defensive staff seemed to have a good beat on how to thwart Heinicke and this offense.   The Giants defense stinks but against Heinicke they looked good.

My hope is they make the playoffs and face the Vikings.  Vikings probably have the worst defense in the league now.  If I recall 5 out of the last 6 QBs or something like that put over 300 yards against the Vikings, the lone exception was Heinicke who threw for 150 yards and a 53% completion rate.  But maybe Heincke would be better against them in a dome.  

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

img_1_1671022398269.thumb.jpg.c7bd273f7900eaa7fdf2efdbd7bbc4ee.jpg

And we're supposed to respect Heinicke's desire to protect his career by not running.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

They mentioned it on the radio yesterday, i couldn't believe it so I had to look it up but Wentz playing in fewer games has more rushing yards than Heinicke.

Heinicke is definitely not laying it all out there for wins. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In theory, having 3 out of the last four games at home should be a strength but Heinicke's lack of arm strength will be more exposed in the cold.    

Also, Heinicke seems cowed by the Cowboys.  You'd think based on his statements that the Cowboys defense is historically good, better than the 85 Bears. 

And the Giants defensive staff seemed to have a good beat on how to thwart Heinicke and this offense.   The Giants defense stinks but against Heinicke they looked good.

My hope is they make the playoffs and face the Vikings.  Vikings probably have the worst defense in the league now.  If I recall 5 out of the last 6 QBs or something like that put over 300 yards against the Vikings, the lone exception was Heinicke who throew for 150 yards and 53% completion rate.  But maybe Heincke would be better against them in a dome.  

I'm not overly optimistic. The Giants I feel should be a win, but 2 of the top 5 defenses and one team with a pretty good running QB that we play shortly after Chase "freelance" Young comes back. I think we make the playoffs, but get a first round bounce. We we'ren't competitive against the Vikings without ref help and I don't see it happening again.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not overly optimistic. The Giants I feel should be a win, but 2 of the top 5 defenses and one team with a pretty good running QB that we play shortly after Chase "freelance" Young comes back. I think we make the playoffs, but get a first round bounce. We we'ren't competitive against the Vikings without ref help and I don't see it happening again.

For me the weird thing about watching Heinicke is it makes me optimistic for next season.  It's amazing that they are winning with a pure pocket QB with poor accuracy and arm strength.  It should be a piece of cake upgrading the QB spot next off season.    These nonsexy type QB names that will be on the market -- most of them IMO are better than Taylor.

Heck I think they'd be more dangerous with the Giants backup, Tryod Taylor and I am not much of a fan of him. 

Upgrade the O line which I think they can do.  And they don't need to shoot for the moon for a QB -- just average is fine -- and i usually don't feel this way.  If they can find a QB who can run even better. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me the weird thing about watching Heinicke is it makes me optimistic for next season.  It's amazing that they are winning with a pure pocket QB with poor accuracy and arm strength.  It should be a piece of cake upgrading the QB spot next off season.    These nonsexy type QB names that will be on the market -- most of them IMO are better than Taylor.

Heck I think they'd be more dangerous with the Giants backup, Tryod Taylor and I am not much of a fan of him. 

Upgrade the O line which I think they can do.  And they don't need to shoot for the moon for a QB -- just average is fine -- and i usually don't feel this way.  If they can find a QB who can run even better. 

I agree with all of that. I like this team and feel like we're loaded almost everywhere, with legit probowl type players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Did you see the hits?

I was bleeding internally from watching them!

Nah, I knew he went to the Hospital but I was not aware of that sequence. Looking over it... yeah those were some serious wide open hit-sticks.

Somebody needs to vet that medical staff for shady practices cuz White was on a "Blitz The Leauge" level of get him back in the game while everybody else was playing Madden.

bjsopi.jpg.2c27c41eff21112d0903eecc5dfde86e.jpg

• Like 1