Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Watching ESPN KJM this morning who had Jeff Saturday on as a guest and they were discussing the Matt Ryan signing.  Saturday said Frank Reich's scheme is very timing based and that if you don't get the ball out when it's supposed to come out, the offense really breaks down. 

Got me thinking as to one of the reasons why Wentz had those up/down moments last year and how that is going to translate to Turner's scheme.  I don't know that answer but TH certainly played a lot of off script downs so I'm thinking Turner's offense is more forgiving. 

10 hours ago, zCommander said:

Every year is a SB run and has been. Don't think that has changed.If Wentz can handle his own and somehow masters or semi-masters Turner's offense and our D plays better all year instead of half of the year then there should be no reason for a SB appearance at least. Not scared of Brady at all. if TH lead team can beat his team Wentz should be able to do it more easily. Going up against LA will be a challenge and this is where your D has to show up to stop Bradford and team. TH almost beat Rodgers led team last year if it wasn't for that stupid slide. Again Wentz should be able to beat them too. Wilson is now in the AFC so need to worry about him. I think that covers all the big name QB in the NFC. I am not worried about Dak. Dallas does what Dallas will do. Wentz should be better than Kirk. The injury bug or even covid can still come in play this year too - these are the only variables we are not able to control. If that does happen then it is what it is at that point. 

I really want to believe that your current "We should be going to a SB this season" thing is in good faith, but I'm having a hard time with it. You always seem to tie it back to Heinicke in some way, and we all know how you feel about him. It seems like you're doing that so you can set the expectation that if we don't go to a SB the the entire Wentz thing was pointless and we should have stuck with your dude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, zCommander said:

New name, a change, a semi-big name QB. Sure smells like someone is trying to save any dignity left after all the allegations still looming. So Wentz has to be that "savior". Not talking about in Biblical sense at all. But put respect back in the team and faith back in the fans. 

Could it not be that they needed a QB and got one?  Big name, no name, they needed a guy who could play and didn’t have one on the roster. 

Wentz isn’t a Dan move.  Doing what Cleveland did to get Watson is a Dan move.  

This feels like a Ron move.  Get the best possible solution without committing long term big money.  

More than selling to the fans, they needed to get a QB who could play or else they would look like idiots to the rest of the locker room. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

I really want to believe that your current "We should be going to a SB this season" thing is in good faith, but I'm having a hard time with it. You always seem to tie it back to Heinicke in some way, and we all know how you feel about him. It seems like you're doing that so you can set the expectation that if we don't go to a SB the the entire Wentz thing was pointless and we should have stuck with your dude.

I am going to SB every year. Will I be wrong in setting higher expectations than TH? The way our roster is set, at least on paper, this year we have to be in the playoffs and deep and for a SB run too. Sure there is that possibility of Wentz laying an egg on the field but since he is an upgrade over TH he should be a lot better than TH. If TH can start for one season and win 7 then Wentz has to win twice that. Since I am a nice guy I will give him +/- 14. So I want to see at minimum 12 wins out of Wentz and a push for the SB. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Could it not be that they needed a QB and got one?  Big name, no name, they needed a guy who could play and didn’t have one on the roster. 

Wentz isn’t a Dan move.  Doing what Cleveland did to get Watson is a Dan move.  

This feels like a Ron move.  Get the best possible solution without committing long term big money.  

More than selling to the fans, they needed to get a QB who could play or else they would look like idiots to the rest of the locker room. 

They could still look like idiots to fans and the locker room if Wentz lays an egg. But, hey, at least we can say it was a cool $28 mil experiment though. I know they had to get a QB this year - and it better work out and Wentz is seen as the hero. It would be great for Wentz too. 

Irsay is so slimy. It’s wild for a Washington fan to think that about another owner, but here we are. So clearly not just an owner-driven, but owner-mandated move. As a football fan it’s annoying this douche was rewarded with the Ryan move dropping in his lap. He deserved to suffer without an obvious QB solution. 

Of course all the people who have already decided this was a horrific trade for us are lining up to talk about this presser, after ignoring all the other stuff that’s come out from the Colts coaches, FO, and star players. Makes me wonder what veteran players Irsay could even be talking about (if he’s not making it up), given that all their stars and team leaders have gone out of their way to support Wentz.

The whole situation is just bizarre and you can see that Irsay is desperate to make it seem like the team had no choice, heading into a draft without a 1st round pick to show for the original Wentz acquisition. 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I am going to SB every year. Will I be wrong in setting higher expectations than TH? The way our roster is set, at least on paper, this year we have to be in the playoffs and deep and for a SB run too. Sure there is that possibility of Wentz laying an egg on the field but since he is an upgrade over TH he should be a lot better than TH. If TH can start for one season and win 7 then Wentz has to win twice that. Since I am a nice guy I will give him +/- 14. So I want to see at minimum 12 wins out of Wentz and a push for the SB. 

No, nothing wrong with a better QB having higher expectations. But you seem intent on making it super black and white. Super Bowl or bust. That or we have to win 14 games for Wentz to have been worth it. That strikes me as a bit myopic and likely driven way more by your Heinicke fan club card than an actual analysis of the team or realistic expectations for a season.

So if we win 10-11 games this year and go to the playoffs will you be harping over and over on the fact that we only won 10-11 games and talking about how Wentz is a bum?

Edited by mistertim

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

No, nothing wrong with a better QB having higher expectations. But you seem intent on making it super black and white. Super Bowl or bust. That or we have to win 14 games for Wentz to have been worth it. That strikes me as a bit myopic and likely driven way more by your Heinicke fan club card than an actual analysis of the team or realistic expectations for a season.

So if we win 10-11 games this year and go to the playoffs will you be harping over and over on the fact that we only won 10-11 games and talking about how Wentz is a bum?

Okay, compromise then, Conference appearance at least. That would mean we were one win away from being in the SB. Getting into the playoffs and not winning the first game is a bust.

33 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Okay, compromise then, Conference appearance at least. That would mean we were one win away from being in the SB. Getting into the playoffs and not winning the first game is a bust.

I suppose so. But when it comes to Wentz (or QBs in general) shouldn't he be judged on his performance as opposed to the entire team? If Wentz throws for 35 TDs and 10 INTs but our defense falls apart due to injuries or something and we end up not making the playoffs would that mean the Wentz deal was a bust? Certainly not in my book, but in your equation it would seem to.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I won't say Super Bowl but we absolutely must win double digit games. 

Yeah I'm certainly hoping for that. But I'm just saying that the record doesn't always reflect whether or not the QB is good. You can have a great QB on a horrible team. If QBs were judged purely on their record then Deshaun Watson should have been traded after 2020 as a bust.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I'm certainly hoping for that. But I'm just saying that the record doesn't always reflect whether or not the QB is good. You can have a great QB on a horrible team. If QBs were judged purely on their record then Deshaun Watson should have been traded after 2020 as a bust.

True, but generally if your QB play is good you're probably a playoff team. 

If THIS roster gets top 12-15 ish caliber QB play, it should absolutely win ten games.

We know what this roster is sans QB, thus there are certain things you need to see Wentz bring to the table.

If he does not ball out this year, he is a ghost the next one. As currently assembled, the pieces are in place around him to have some success. Not Superbowl success, but playoffs should be expected.

Edited by FootballZombie

57 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I suppose so. But when it comes to Wentz (or QBs in general) shouldn't he be judged on his performance as opposed to the entire team? If Wentz throws for 35 TDs and 10 INTs but our defense falls apart due to injuries or something and we end up not making the playoffs would that mean the Wentz deal was a bust? Certainly not in my book, but in your equation it would seem to.

I have already went over this. On paper the team should be better than last year. This is why Ron went with an upgrade at QB since that is the missing piece that we needed to go over the hump. If TH can do what he did with what we had last year then this year has to be double digits and deep playoff run at the least. Yes injuries happens to all of the teams. This is where Ron gets paid the big bucks to make sure we have a solid depth. Yes my equation is higher than yours and so are my expectations as well. 

7 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I have already went over this. On paper the team should be better than last year. This is why Ron went with an upgrade at QB since that is the missing piece that we needed to go over the hump. If TH can do what he did with what we had last year then this year has to be double digits and deep playoff run at the least. Yes injuries happens to all of the teams. This is where Ron gets paid the big bucks to make sure we have a solid depth. Yes my equation is higher than yours and so are my expectations as well. 

So to be clear: if Wentz throws for 35 TDs and 10 INTs but the team doesn't make the playoffs, then Wentz is a bust with us? 

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Wentz isn’t Wilson or Rodgers. He doesn’t make the team an immediate contender.  And really nobody is saying he does. 

They should be more competitive.  They should win 10-11 games and get to the playoffs.  

Once you’re in the playoffs, anything can happen.  If they lose in the first round but Wentz is playing well, that’s something to build on.

I think for most of us, that’s progress.  Then you can say the goal the next year is to improve enough to co tend for the division and make a deeper playoff run.

Most of the time, the playoffs are a process.  You get there as a wild card and aee an underdog, and lose.  Then you come back as a favorite, and win a game or two.  

Then hopefully you’re lucky enough to make a SB run at some point.

I’ll take progress.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1