Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, VirginiaVibes said:

Ron never said anything specifically about Deshaun. 

He’s been asking multiple times and hasn’t shot it down. Other teams have shot it down. 

Ron is interested in all QB options, they’ve said this 100x you’re in denial. 

29 minutes ago, Hitman#21 said:

He’s been asking multiple times and hasn’t shot it down. Other teams have shot it down. 

Ron is interested in all QB options, they’ve said this 100x you’re in denial. 

I'm not in denial abiut anything. I am sure they will ask but again Ron hasn't confirmed anything which was my point. Everything else is just speculation 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

6 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

I'm not in denial abiut anything. I am sure they will ask but again Ron hasn't confirmed anything which was my point. Everything else is just speculation 

The social media of the NFL and some local beat reporters not named Keim and Standig have drummed up all this crap so you will click on their story and read it.  Simple as that.  When Schefter or Rapoport, Keim or Standig report it as happening, it's happening.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

I know he's in our division but why not Gardner Minshew?  He fits our scheme.  Has all the intangibles.  He's not Carr, Wilson, Rodgers or Watson but he'd be less (draft pick wise) than them and much better (look at his career stats) than Jimmy G. or Wentz, IMO.  Has been healthy, reads the Ds well, has great mobility and enough arm.  If RR and Co. have looked at all 32 teams, Minshew should be one to consider, I think. 

Minshew's not a starter, so what's the point of trading for him? There are better options available. Plus, we see his value. He was just traded for a 6th round pick.

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Minshew's not a starter, so what's the point of trading for him? There are better options available. Plus, we see his value. He was just traded for a 6th round pick.

I think he has much better potential than Trubisky, Mariota, Winston in FA.  If he could be had for a low draft pick, IMO he could lead this team.  He played for a pathetic Jag team and still put-up decent numbers.  Last year with the Eagles he posted 4 TDs vs 1 int. when he was able to play. Check out his stats.  Again, my opinion Jericho.  You don't like the guy as our QB, fine. :)  

1 hour ago, Commander Chaaarmnder said:

Deshaun Watson will not be in Washington.  Nope, never, not gonna happen.  No source, but it just will not fit with all the sexy harassment stuff flying around.  Nope, not ever.

Please Watson and Dan with his sexual harrasments lawyers. They will be buddies. ;)

8 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Something has to give with Watson before March 20th if Texan's want to avoid guarantees.

https://www.battleredblog.com/real-actual-thought-provoking-houston-texans-analysis/2022/1/18/22889182/the-current-state-of-the-texans-2022-salary-cap

Well, the potential Deshaun Watson trade is a keystone piece in and of itself. Getting another team to take on Watson’s contract as it stands would be ideal. Watson’s fully guaranteed money kicks in on March 20th, which will hit Houston’s cap for $35 million if they haven’t traded Watson by then.

Been saying this too. 

By that date his 2023 money also converts to fully guaranteed. Best part of another 40mil. 

9 hours ago, VirginiaVibes said:

They would just start Love. They're not drafting a QB. 

The reality is that Trubisky has done nothing to warrant that kind of money. But he’s going to get it. Desperate times at QB across a fair number of teams.

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

So, you think the alleged sexual assaulter is going to want to come to the team if sexual harassment. What do I think he’s going to be asked everytime he speaks? 
It will be less if he went to Carolina or Philly.

In DC; he will be asked about it nonstop. Bound to affect his performance. I can see protests. Double shot protest Dan and protest Watson. Bound to affect the entire team.

Nah it’s quite the opposite. Rivera will just say he deserves a second chance. And this organisation has been through similar turbulent times and has turned a corner. That’s what he’ll say.

I also don’t think the vast majority of fans will ultimately care. Doesn’t matter whether we think that is hypocrisy, double standards, whatever. They won’t care as he’s a star QB and we’ll be winning games. He won’t get the wide ranging hate Dan does IMO.

Per @RapSheet, Washington did in fact make a trade offer for Russell Wilson, and states, “no movement yet, but no one has ruled out anything.” #TakeCommand

11:44 PM · Mar 6, 2022

I posted a scenario on this a week or so back where I felt if you wanted Wilson you would need to be willing to trade the next 3 years worth of 1st and 2nd rounders. Six picks. That may seem extreme, well it is. But waving a couple of 1st in front of Seattle is not going to move any needle. IF you really want Wilson as the franchise QB here for the next 5 years plus, you have to go way over the top. Way over the top.

Even then Seattle may not be interested. 

• Like 1

Ron seems pretty high on Willis. Compares him to Cam Newton in his prime. This is the solution I like best (Ridder is quickly growing on me however) but I think Willis may very well be gone by #11. If so, do you move up for him? I think you will have to if you want Willis. Detroit, Texans, Carolina, Denver and Atlanta all pick ahead of #11 and all of them need (or at least *want* QB's). Then there are teams like Pittsburgh and New Orleans who may try to move up to get in line before #11. 

Obviously not all of those teams will be picking QB's in the first round. On the other hand, FWIW Kyle Stockpole at CBS said that the QB performances at the combine were so impressive that he predicts 5 QB's will be picked by #32. In his mock draft, he now has Carolina picking Pickett at #6, Denver picking Willis at #9 (if they haven't gotten Rodgers by then), Washington picking Ridder at #11, Pittsburgh picking Corrall at #20 and Detroit picking Howell at #32.

It would certainly help Washington if Rodgers went to Denver because that would eliminate one QB needy team ahead of us in the draft order. He has now said he would only play for Pittsburgh, Tennessee or Denver if he leaves GB.

I think that either Malik Willis or Desmond Ridder will be Washington's next young (and hopefully, franchise) QB (along with a vet like Trubisky or Mariota to carry the load till the drafted QB gets up to speed). *IF* Ron truly sees Willis as another Cam Newton in his prime, it's gonna be Willis. Ron will absolutely make it happen and trade up if he has to. Washington is starting to quickly run out of plays for a new, decent QB let alone a high quality one.

I have added the blurbs on Willis and Ridder from the CBS mock draft below.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-five-quarterbacks-go-in-first-round-as-nfl-combine-performances-boost-stock-of-prospects/

>>2022 NFL Mock Draft: Five quarterbacks go in first round as NFL combine performances boost stock of prospects

Quarterback mania is at an all-time high in the NFL, and it's not going away any time soon<< 

Liberty • Jr • 6'1" / 215 lbs
Projected Team
Denver
PROSPECT RNK
12th
POSITION RNK
2nd

He's not there yet, but it wouldn't be surprising if Willis ended the draft process as the consensus top quarterback prospect. His physical traits are undeniable, and there have been numerous reports about him blowing teams away with his football intelligence during interviews. He's not ready to start right away, but the Broncos get an exciting talent who could end up being better than all of this year's free agent quarterbacks.

Cincinnati • Sr • 6'4" / 215 lbs
Projected Team
Washington
PROSPECT RNK
55th
POSITION RNK
5th

Washington has reportedly contacted every team about quarterback availability, but the reality is that the biggest names don't look like they'll be traded and the free agent class is mostly uninspiring. Ridder is a proven leader and winner who just dominated the testing portion of the NFL combine and can orchestrate an offense with the right pieces around him. He'd endear himself to Ron Rivera and the coaching staff quickly.<<

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/2022/03/05/ron-rivera-compares-malik-willis-to-cam-newton-washington-commanders-2022-nfl-draft/?itm_source=parsely-api

The Washington Commanders are busy looking for a quarterback at this week’s NFL combine. Washington’s pursuit of Pro Bowl quarterback Russell Wilson ended this week when the Seahawks reportedly turned down the Commanders’ offer of “multiple” first-round picks.

While not landing Wilson or Aaron Rodgers is undoubtedly disappointing for Rivera, he knew entering the offseason it would be difficult to pry Wilson or Rodgers away from their respective teams. One, the player must want to come to Washington. Secondly, why would you trade an elite passer unless the relationship was untenable?

That means Washington is likely to sign a veteran in free agency and look toward the 2022 NFL draft for its future quarterback. There is always Deshaun Watson, but his legal issues present a problem for Washington. As for Jimmy Garoppolo, no thanks.

Rivera and Washington have met with multiple questions at this week’s NFL combine. Sure, the meetings are short, but it gives you enough time to get a feel for the player and use one of your pre-draft visits on him.

One quarterback linked to Washington frequently is Liberty’s Malik Willis. Willis put on a show in passing drills and also made an impression off the field. But it was during his interviews that he stood out the most.

In an interview with Nicki Jhabvala of The Washington Post, Rivera raved about his chat with Willis, bringing up the franchise quarterback he coached for nine years.

“Malik wanted to stand up when we put on the tape and look and point,” Rivera said. “You could see how animated he got: ‘Watch me use my eyes. Watch me use my eyes!’ Even though he’s raw, you know he understands the concepts. And when I saw that, it reminded me of Cam Newton because that’s one thing — Cam understood the concepts.”

Willis makes sense for Washington, especially if the Commanders sign a veteran. Most analysts believe Willis should “redshirt” his rookie season. However, if you draft him, why not tailor your playbook to him?

Rivera clearly likes Willis, and if you’re looking for the quarterback with the highest upside, then Willis should be your guy.<<

Edited by SonnySideUp

I don't put any stock in Kyle's mock, it's rather goofy and reeks of recency bias because the combine just happened. I get it but it's silly. 

Also trading up for a QB in this draft would be the absolute most atrocious decision of all time. I already don't really trust Ron when it comes to evaluating talent (he's a former linebacker who couldn't recognize the issues with Jamin Davis) but trading UP for a QB in this draft is a fireable offense unless you have a legit plan for him and are committing to him for 3+ years. If you are giving up assets for a QB in THIS draft you better be sure he is 100% the guy. Because moving up means you are passing up on all other options at the QB position for at least 2-3 years for someone from a small school with medicore tape. 

Edited by VirginiaVibes
  • Like 4

Multiple posts about "how will the fans react if they sign Trubisky and don't draft a QB in the first?" 

This isn't an off-season popularity contest. Rivera will sign the QB(s) that give the team the best chance to win this season and that are actually available to acquire. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Multiple posts about "how will the fans react if they sign Trubisky and don't draft a QB in the first?" 

This isn't an off-season popularity contest. Rivera will sign the QB(s) that give the team the best chance to win this season and that are actually available to acquire. 

Exactly and you cant hit a homerun, if nobody throws a pitch. Definitely cant doubt his hustle though.

• Like 4

John Keim on The Junkies just reiterating stuff he's said before - lots of scenario's and a few highlights

Some people in the Seattle building want to listen to offers and are but Pete Carroll doesn't want to trade Wilson.  Carroll only has 1-2 years left of coaching

He did drop a couple of examples of pairings Trubisky/Ridder, Bridgewater/Willis but he also said a guy like Trubisky doesn't want to go to a team where there's a 1st rounder drafted that causes QB conflict

A guy like Pickett might be the one guy who would start right away

Reference the Watson stuff, he's not sure about the level of interest there.  The Junkies tried to push him about it like "if they wanted him, they could get him" but Keim didn't bite on any additional data there

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

Some people in the Seattle building want to listen to offers and are but Pete Carroll doesn't want to trade Wilson.  Carroll only has 1-2 years left of coaching

This is a point I would be concerned about if I was Wilson. Carroll is essentially in self preservation mode until he retires. If I was Wilson I would be thinking, ok if I stick around here for 1 or 2 seasons and he retires, what will I be left with?

Will Seattle be in a rebuild, will Wilson have missed his chance to cash in. His value is at a peak right now. He must know he will get a massive contract extension if he were to move now. The Rodgers deal is going to blow those numbers up.

I certainly wouldn’t stop in Seattle just to baby sit Carroll until he retires.

That said, Wilson is may be very comfortable with that. Who knows.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

He did drop a couple of examples of pairings Trubisky/Ridder, Bridgewater/Willis but he also said a guy like Trubisky doesn't want to go to a team where there's a 1st rounder drafted that causes QB conflict

Sheehan making fun this morning about the comment from the writer who said Trubisky's career reboot went well in Buffalo, considering Turbisky didn't even start a game in Buffalo.  A half a preseason game IMO doesn't count for a career reboot.  He played 8 snaps during the season and threw 1 pick in them -- so exciting. :ols:

So if Trubisky wants over 10 million, doesn't want a rookie QB drafted from the first, in my book the dude could take a hike.  Even under the best of circumstances I am not high on Trubisky.  But if its under these circumstances, i am big time opposed to signing him. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Been saying this too. 

By that date his 2023 money also converts to fully guaranteed. Best part of another 40mil. 

Texans really need to trade him by the 14th and no later than the 16th. Otherwise QB needy teams will dip into FA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

A guy like Pickett might be the one guy who would start right away

I doubt Bridgewater or Mariota would want to go to team with a 1st rounder either. They all want to be promised a starter gig. They may not all be able to get that nor do they really deserve it.

This is another reason why early on Ron and crew were stating Pickett who might be able to start right away is the only worthy of an early pick and they were comfortable with a 2nd round QB

• Like 2

The Texans should fire sale Watson now and just get it over with so they can move on. I'm willing to bet a few teams would trade 2 1rsts for him today, regardless of criminal charges. Hedge their bet, reload their cap and draft and just start building a team again. 

Carroll has plenty of years left coaching. He takes great care of himself, eats a plant based diet like Brady did. He could definitely do a rebuild, but why would he want to? You've got a top 5 QB now. Nothing is worth trading that away.

I'm still hopeful for Carr. Swap firsts this year or our 1rst for their 2nd, plus at least 1 more 1rst. No players. 3 1rsts for Carr and 2 2nds. Go sign Adam's for him and resign Terry and let Carr just RIP it.

7 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I dont think they realize the uproar that is going to cause within the fan base if that were to happen. 

Heres my take. See if you can trade 11 for 20 and take Pittsburgh’s 2023 1st. They get Willis. I know this fanbase will go nuts, but if this FO doesn’t believe in this class that’s the move to make. And I’d be okay with it. 

Because you got Mariota or Winston in FA, you had enough $$ to get a MLB and FS. So the defense is complete except maybe a depth corner and DE. 

Use 20, 42 and 74 to crush on offense. WR, OL, TE. Maybe even trade down from 20 to get more picks this and next year. Like 20 for 40, 72 and a 2023 2nd. 

Either way, complete the roster this off season. Both for now and the future.

Next off season you go all-in on a QB. Veteran or trade up. You’ll have 2 #1s to offer for a veteran or you use those and another future 1 to get into the Top 2. 

Lots of TBD in that plan and that would be the 4th off season starting in TBD mode … but I wouldn’t mind loading up on other talent in a deep talent draft. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

It's not a concern of mine personally.  They can sign Trubisky and trade for Darnold and they won't lose me.  Tough obviously for anyone here who spends time on this board to get discouraged to the extent that they are out.  But....

But as Sheehan, Rouhier, and others have said, they have so many friends and colleagues who have checked out on the team, who aren't even fans of the team anymore. It's becoming a thing.  And its unique to the Commanders.  I don't see how this can be ignored as a problem.  We have gone from one of the top attendances in the league to being almost at dead bottom.   

We are actually punchlines nationally as being an irrelevant team who isn't known for anything but sleaze.  While TV ratings for local teams are rising elsewhere, they are going down here.  We got national writers talking about how this team is bleeding fans and losing them in droves.

This team is really unique in that its a crashing stock in the middle of a rebrand. Perfect storm in a bad way.  So fans being turned off I think is more relevant here than in most places.

I agree that Rivera could do whatever he likes but IMO he's going to have to wear it.  So if he signs a punchline QB (for a reason) like Trubisky especially if he gets 10 million dollars and in turn doesn't shoot high for a QB and it blows up.   When plenty of fans expect it to blow up THEN he deserves the hits for it IF a QB he passes over in the first round looks like the real deal.  And IMO in that case him taking a hit with fans in real time by doing something that feels "meh" in the moment becomes very relevant. 

In short, I think Rivera can survive not trading up for Mac Jones.  He can survive not taking Justin Herbert.  Those two things on their own are explainable.  But if he passes on a first round QB and they turn into a really good QB and Trubisky turns into what Trubisky typically is then he deserves every ounce of backlash then that he's getting in my view way prematurely in this thread now from a few posters.  And this is coming from arguably one of Rivera's top 3 defenders give or take on this board.  I've defended Rivera on just about everything. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2