Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

GB restructuring contracts IMO not a good sign for those (me, included) who want Rodgers to hit the market.  For me its not so much I expect Rodgers comes here, its that I want to get Denver out of the QB market, assuming that's where he goes.    As far as desperation its seems like the trifecta are:  Denver, Carolina, Commanders.

As for the wild off chance that Rodgers would come here.  Are we really going to be satisfied with perhaps winning a SB if 3 years later we will be looking for another QB? Yuck. 

I’d half agree on GB reworking contracts. The reality is they are in cap trouble irrespective of the Rodgers situation. They need to rework their cap anyway.

I do think they can fit Rodgers and Adams into their cap, however Adams has a long term future to think of. Rodgers going back for say 1 or 2 years isn’t something Adams should tie himself too. If Rodgers can’t commit for 3 years then Adams need to bail....which then impacts Rodgers as he wants Adams and Valdez-Scantling with him in 2022. Wherever that is....

In terms of the needing a new QB in 3 years, that’s how long Rivera is contracted for. I’ve said this in other posts, what is the remit ? Win now or plan longer term. If it’s the latter you don’t even discuss Wilson. It’s Watson, Carr or draft.

27 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not me.

I'd be more intrigued by Trubisky.  Not that I really buy that he's been fixed by moving from Nagy to Buffalo for a year.  I think the chances are slim that he'll be much of anything more than what he was in Chicago.  But I'd have more interest to see that unfold than bringing in Bridgewater who is an absolute snoozefest.  I have zero interest in watching him dink and dunk us into 17 points a game.

Yeah I felt Standig's point on Bridgewater was a bit strange.  Sheehan actually shut it down.

Among the FA's.  the only player who would give me a little jolt if they signed him would be Mariota.  And "little" is the operative word.  It would feel to me like last year when I wasn't jazzed by any of the FAs but if I had to pick one it was Fitz.

Among these FA's, i'd take in order

1.  Mariota

2.  Trubisky

3.  Winston

4. Bridgewater

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

Standing on his podcast today:

As of right now, based off parsing comments from Rivera interview:

Most likely to sign Trubisky and draft a rookie. Most likely rookie in his opinion is Malik Willis and let him sit behind Trubisky.

Makes sense, especially if Trubisky comes with an endorsement from McDermott in Buffalo. 

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Well, it makes sense because its probably going to be guys that have started the most since 2015. That does move most schmucks out of the way. 

Deep down I can tell you are mad Darnold isn't on the list 😜

I got new fish to fry this off season on the QB spot that has overtaken my Darnold angst from last off season. 😧

• Haha 3

Bridgewater and Dalton are the ones to watch with history with tuner and that sucks.

I could see them bringing in both of them. Bridgewater to play Dalton to help with rookie like he did in Chicago. That is two vet and Willis as rookie. If this happens I want my season tickets money back.

We have to bring someone in but these two are shot.

Edited by Redskins 2021

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

In terms of the needing a new QB in 3 years, that’s how long Rivera is contracted for. I’ve said this in other posts, what is the remit ? Win now or plan longer term. If it’s the latter you don’t even discuss Wilson. It’s Watson, Carr or draft.

We've won if I recall one playoff game in the last 20 years.   Winning even 2 playoff games with Dan as the owner feels like a wildly fun thought but unrealistic dream let alone winning a SB.

I would take one run at a SB in the immediate future in a heartbeat, its a no brainer to me.  Winning a SB under Dan seems like mission impossible let alone doing it fast.  So if winning a SB is followed by 5 years of Heinicke like play i could more than live with it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me, too.  I was being a bit sarcastic.

My sarcasm detector needs new batteries.

I do think Rodgers is the only quarterback who actually makes us a legit Super Bowl contender.  Wilson makes us a divisional favorite.  Everyone else is kind of "meh, maybe" to "no way in hell".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We've won if I recall one playoff game in the last 20 years.   Winning even 2 playoff games with Dan as the owner feels like a wildly fun thought but unrealistic dream let alone winning a SB.

I would take one run at a SB in the immediate future in a heartbeat, its a no brainer to me.  Winning a SB under Dan seems like mission impossible let alone doing it fast.  So if winning a SB is followed by 5 years of Heinicke like play i could more than live with it.

So would I, clearly your sarcasm flew over more than one head :rofl89:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting thing with JimmyG in that Steve Young, Joe Montana and Schefter have come out the last week with this Trey Lance isn't ready narrative and 49ers might keep JimmyG.  It's got to be leaking from the 49ers.

One theory might be they aren't getting squat in offers and trying to drive up his trade value.  LOL

https://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/steve-young-questions-if-trey-lance-is-ready/

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-joe-montana-thinks-trey-lance-isnt-ready-to-be-the-49ers-starting-quarterback

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/adam-schefter-says-its-no-lock-the-49ers-will-trade-jimmy-garoppolo

That's exactly what they are trying to do, HigSkin. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yes #3 is the one you want if you nail your selection

The issue with #1 is we have been through the older vet to bring us to the next level and failed due to injuries. Same with going all in on moving up for stud in the draft. We really have had piss poor luck at QB over the past decade. 

Yeah we've been through the older vet thing, but we've never brought in a QB that's even close to the same level as Rodgers. And even the guy we did bring in who was very good (but not Rodgers level) in the past in McNabb, everyone but us knew he was already completely washed up, whereas Rodgers just won his second straight MVP award.

But you're right...a lot of it still comes down to luck. Luck with injuries, luck with finding a trading partner, luck with draft picks. And our luck has been pretty damn rotten.

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I still don't want to even get close to getting my hopes up about Rodgers. I think it's way more likely that he'll either stay in GB or go elsewhere and we'll find out later that we were never really even seriously considered than he ends up here.

Same with Wilson.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah we've been through the older vet thing, but we've never brought in a QB that's even close to the same level as Rodgers. And even the guy we did bring in who was very good (but not Rodgers level) in the past in McNabb, everyone but us knew he was already completely washed up, whereas Rodgers just won his second straight MVP award.

But you're right...a lot of it still comes down to luck. Luck with injuries, luck with finding a trading partner, luck with draft picks. And our luck has been pretty damn rotten.

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I still don't want to even get close to getting my hopes up about Rodgers. I think it's way more likely that he'll either stay in GB or go elsewhere and we'll find out later that we were never really even seriously considered than he ends up here.

Same with Wilson.

I hear ya, and am in the same age bracket as you. At least we experienced winning. These poor younger fans..

• Like 1

Well, connecting the dots with familiar faces, Bridgewater QB'd for Turner as did Allen and Taylor Heinicke prior to coming to Washington.  It's noted that RR tried to trade for Trubisky before the trade deadline and Mariota before the season began.  I would put them at the top of favored FA QBs.  

In the draft, Keim is all over them loving Pickett #1 and would draft him at #11, Malik Willis's Dad and RR are very good friends and his physical abilities are extremely raw but off the charts.  A poor man's right-handed Mike Vick maybe.  I said maybe now. :)  We will never know until he plays for a couple years.  Also, there was a report that Mayhew and Desmond Ridder's HS coach played together so there maybe a connection there and Keim has mentioned Ridder's name but in the 2nd round.  That's all I got for now connection the dots.  

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Those are real QBs. Heinicke isn't a bad NFL QB, because he's not an NFL QB.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion, but you do realize your view is about as extreme as those who think Heinicke can be a good starter, right?

The staff view Heinicke as a backup/low end starter.  Most analysts seem to see TH as a backup, some see him as the staff does.  Jay Gruden isn’t sure Trubisky would beat out Heinicke in a qb competition (I actually disagree somewhat with that last one… I think it’s certainly possible TH looks better in camp, but I think the staff would probably give Trubisky the reins nonetheless, for multiple reasons).  

Anywho…

This part’s not directed at you, but…

I’m not sure how to word this, but looking at the rookie qbs, who benefits most by coming here?  As in, how would our position groups stack up to what they had in college (compared to other college teams)?

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, connecting the dots with familiar faces, Bridgewater QB'd for Turner as did Allen and Taylor Heinicke prior to coming to Washington.  It's noted that RR tried to trade for Trubisky before the trade deadline and Mariota before the season began.  I would put them at the top of favored FA QBs.  

In the draft, Keim is all over them loving Pickett #1 and would draft him at #11, Malik Willis's Dad and RR are very good friends and his physical abilities are extremely raw but off the charts.  A poor man's right-handed Mike Vick maybe.  I said maybe now. :)  We will never know until he plays for a couple years.  Also, there was a report that Mayhew and Desmond Ridder's HS coach played together so there maybe a connection there and Keim has mentioned Ridder's name but in the 2nd round.  That's all I got for now connection the dots.  

If they are stuck with one of the blase FA QB's, I see only going at the prospects with the highest ceilings...shooting for the moon. To me that's WIllis, Corral and Ridder. I don't think they consider the others unless it's in the 2nd round

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

A poor man's Mike Vick? Oof. That's an enormous fail of a 1st round QB pick IMO. Vick was never a very good QB. He was a running back who had a huge arm and occasionally passed the ball, albeit not very accurately.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

your view is about as extreme as those who think Heinicke can be a good starter, right?

No it isn't. My opinion runs with the coaches and everyone else. He's not an NFL QB and people need to stop bringing him up. I assume a lot of these people were big Colt Culters too.They're delusional and it's annoying.

We really missed an opportunity with the whole rebranding thing. I'm sure that Rodgers' ego would have loved it if he was playing for the Washington Aarons, or maybe Russ could be have been swayed by playing for the Washington Wilsons.

philly and the giants might be able to offer a boat-load of draft picks, but naming the team after the QB would have been a unique selling point, it also has the benefit that both names are better than the ****ing Commanders.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Eerily reminds me of Haskins connection with Dan's son.    eesh

Everyone is so keen on Rogers as being the one to take us to the Super Bowl. Yet he has not done that recently with GB and they are a better team than what we have. I agree that TH is certainly not going to do that, but Rogers is far from a guarantee and with what we would have to give up, we would be even weaker than what we are. Sign Trubisky, draft Corral and draft others like a S, CB or ILB.

• Like 2

As much as I think of Rodgers as a QB and as much as I'd love to see him play for us, I just don't trust him at all. Dude is a complete flake and may one day get annoyed at something and just decide that he wants to retire after half a season. If it were just money, that would be different, but if we gave up 3 1sts and then he suddenly decided to call it quits after a year or less, that would completely burn us. Can future 1st round trades be conditional on the guy actually, you know, playing?

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I am listening to Russell right now.  He's by far the most optimistic as far as them getting a big fish.   His take more or less is that Rivera wants it really really really bad and he thinks he's willing to overpay in a big way and that might open that door. 

And it is the highlighted that scared the crap outta me