Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

I'll say this. Carson Wentz is a LOT better than the majority of folks in here seem to think. He actually had a pretty good season with the Colts overall. Not great but pretty good. I believe he had the third lowest INT rate in the entire league. His led his team to a winning record. 26-7 TD/INT rate. I really don't get the idea that he isn't any good. Frankly, I think you guys should be ecstatic if he ends up playing for y'all.

If it's a good deal for us then we should make the trade 3rd rounder. I am not a huge fan but with the out in his contract after one year it should be looked at.

Edited by Redskins 2021

14 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

I'll say this. Carson Wentz is a LOT better than the majority of folks in here seem to think. He actually had a pretty good season with the Colts overall. Not great but pretty good. I believe he had the third lowest INT rate in the entire league. His led his team to a winning record. 26-7 TD/INT rate. I really don't get the idea that he isn't any good. Frankly, I think you guys should be ecstatic if he ends up playing for y'all.

Nah not touching Wentz. He’s injury prone and multiple multiple reports of him being a head case and kinda just an ass. He totally wet the bed at the end of the season as well. Not giving up anything of significant value for wentz if he’s released I’d kick tires but not trading for him but then again if Indy releases him after everything they gave up plus Reich I’d be very hesitant 

7 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Nah not touching Wentz. He’s injury prone and multiple multiple reports of him being a head case and kinda just an ass. He totally wet the bed at the end of the season as well. Not giving up anything of significant value for wentz if he’s released I’d kick tires but not trading for him but then again if Indy releases him after everything they gave up plus Reich I’d be very hesitant 

He was bad the last game. Still this may be a bit of an over reaction by the Colts owner he had gone from P manning to A. Luck at Qb. 

We could really get a deal here.  There a huge hit if they release him and the hit is half if they trade. This could be a really good trade for us. We would have an out in his contract next year we would only be stuck with him one year. 

We give up a 3rd they send back Wentz and a 4th.

Edited by Redskins 2021

27 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

IMO the fact that Wentz had a decent statistical season and the Colts apparently still want to try and get rid of him because he's such an assclown jackwagon is an even bigger red flag than his poor play down the stretch.

Dude seems like a cancer. Turned into one with the Eagles, and now is apparenly already one again with the Colts. 

To be that level of douche and still be accepted you have to be a REALLY good QB. And he's not nearly good enough to make up for his asshattery.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If it's a good deal for us then we should make the trade 3rd rounder. I am not a huge fan but with the out in his contract after one year it should be looked at.

If you know the fruit is rotten would you go ahead and buy it anyway just because it's cheap?

image.png.a50fd2ae69b5c1d9c05a34f3f006b2e3.png

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

To circle back, the question of what the Colts would do next is another good question. If Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins are off the market, would someone like Jimmy Garoppolo be enough of an upgrade to jump through all those hoops? Would Russell Wilson even agree to go to the Colts?

The whole situation is complex, and difficult, and it’s why I’ve figured all along the Colts would try to get Wentz to come back on a cut salary, so they can put more around him.

What’s clear is, despite some bright spots, the trade for Wentz feels regrettable. They wound up giving up first- and third-round picks for him, when they were on Matthew Stafford’s list of three teams, and didn’t make much of a play for the then Lions quarterback. Regardless of how you feel about Stafford as a player, I can’t imagine many people would rather have Wentz for a one and three than Stafford for two firsts.

From Noah Tuck (@noahtuck3): Do the Vikings unload Kirk Cousins to the highest bidder?

Noah, I do not think the Vikings will do that. I think they’re going to hang onto him for the same reason the Colts might hold on to Wentz, though Cousins has certainly been the better quarterback of late—they have him under contract for this year, he knows the system new coach Kevin O’Connell is bringing in and his money makes it so even if they wanted to move him, it’d be pretty difficult to do so.

Cousins’s base salary for 2022 is $35 million, and every cent of it is fully guaranteed.

Now, that doesn’t mean that Cousins will be the quarterback in 2023. And sure, having him take up $45.17 million on the cap isn’t ideal. But Cousins gives the team a security blanket at the position as O’Connell and GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah get their program off the ground, and his presence as a very viable option at the position should give the team flexibility not to overreach for a long-term answer in what should be a wild quarterback market.

Alex Smith bought Andy Reid time to find Patrick Mahomes. Matt Ryan’s affording the Falcons’ young brass the same sort of luxury. There’s no reason why Cousins can’t be that guy for O’Connell and Adofo-Mensah, at least for the time being (he’s in a contract year).

From Logan Roy (@TheLoganRoy): Will the Browns have a new starting QB next year?

This is the Logan Roy? It’s an honor to answer your question …

Logan, I think in all likelihood the Browns will stick with Baker Mayfield for another year. To be clear, if there were an obvious upgrade out there, my sense is that they’d explore it—it’d be a bad move not to. I’m just not convinced there’ll be one there for them. And with the Broncos, Panthers, Commanders, Saints and others expected to be out there looking for franchise quarterbacks, and Deshaun Watson the only certain option (we’ll see on Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson), it makes sense for the Browns to plan on having Mayfield at QB again.

Remember, because Mayfield’s heading into his option year (only two first-round QBs under the current system have played on a fifth-year option: Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston), the probability of things being awkward are high, which means it makes sense for the team to do what it’s doing now and build Mayfield up as the starter.

We’ll see whether anything changes.

From Mike Liddle (@mliddle17): If the Panthers were to sign a veteran, who would be the best option? Or should they stay away and get a young franchise QB in the draft??

Mike, the Panthers are sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

The rock is Matt Rhule’s situation. It’s no secret that owner David Tepper wasn’t happy with the way last year ended, and the fact that Tepper hasn’t come out and publicly endorsed Rhule or his staff, fueling perception that Rhule’s seat has gotten toasty, won’t help the Panthers convince a veteran quarterback that Charlotte’s where he wants to be. If a Watson or Wilson has options, why go to a place where upheaval might be a year away?

The hard place is the draft class. I had one veteran evaluator tell me that Ole Miss’s Matt Corral had the best week of any quarterback at the Senior Bowl—by virtue of being the only one of the top guys who wasn’t in the game (Corral wasn’t eligible). It was that bad, and there will be teams that don’t have a first-round grade on any of the quarterbacks in this class.

So if the Panthers can’t get a guy like Watson to come and don’t like the quarterbacks in the draft class? We’re probably going to be talking about someone like Garoppolo.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/02/16/mailbag-carson-wentz-indianapolis-colts-kirk-cousins

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

If you know the fruit is rotten would you go ahead and buy it anyway just because it's cheap?

image.png.a50fd2ae69b5c1d9c05a34f3f006b2e3.png

I would ask the seller what can convince me to take this. What else will you give me with it. If nothing then once he is released I would take a look.

I go back to the Brock Osweiller trade. Browns gave a fourth and 6th and got back 2nd and Osweiller.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Not that any of them is a great option but I would be fine with one of these dudes and draft a guy to eventually take over.

Trubisky 

Marriotta 

Winston 

Give me the one with the biggest chip on his shoulder and a Rexy - F it I'm going deep ! attitude. We can be in the playoff hunt and groom the youngster. 

Jimmy G & Wentz don't make any sense , especially if we have to give up assets. 

KC Maybe ? If he could harness that energy he had from the "You like that ? " GB game.

Still looks like Fitz is a better option than all of the above.  Is he retired ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

lmao they are smoking some good kush in the Bay Area if they think we'd offer #11 AND Young

Dude.  Ever hear of the Emerald Triangle?  It's the largest marijuana growing region in the entire country, and it's just a few hours north of S.F. up highway 101.  We have plenty of good kush.

10 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I would ask the seller what can convince me to take this. What else will you give me with it.

I go back to the Brock Osweiller trade. Browns gave a fourth and 6th and got back 2nd and Osweiller.

I think that's the only trade of its kind IIRC. Definitely far from normal so I find it highly unlikely that we'd get something like that.

The Colts sunk a 1st and 3rd into Wentz...now they're going to turn around and give someone else a 2nd or 3rd round pick to take him off their hands? I have serious doubts about that.

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think that's the only trade of its kind IIRC. Definitely far from normal so I find it highly unlikely that we'd get something like that.

The Colts sunk a 1st and 3rd into Wentz...now they're going to turn around and give someone else a 2nd or 3rd round pick to take him off their hands? I have serious doubts about that.

Big cap hit to release him. I think at the end of the day they will have to keep him. I know they want to bring in Marrota. I don't see any other way to trade him.

Edited by Redskins 2021

I suppose you can't get blood from a turnip.....LOL

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/feb/16/appealing-quarterback-options-could-run-out-quickl

Appealing quarterback options could run out quickly for Commanders

For those paying attention, Super Bowl week wasn’t kind to the Washington Commanders.

Not including the NFL clashing with the Commanders over sexual misconduct investigations, there were plenty of moments that might be discouraging for anyone hoping the team will land a significant upgrade at quarterback this offseason. 

Just look at what happened: Russell Wilson said in a radio interview he hoped to remain with the Seattle Seahawks. The NFL Network reported the Las Vegas Raiders plan to discuss a contract extension with Derek Carr. And Aaron Rodgers’ relationship with the Green Bay Packers is reportedly as good as it’s been in some time.

Of course, things could change. Wilson, for instance, wouldn’t be the first player to pledge loyalty to a franchise, only to leave. 

But the news highlights the difficulties Washington could face in acquiring a splashy quarterback — and how the number of appealing options could run out quickly if Wilson, Carr and Rodgers aren’t available.

If those three truly are off the market, the options left aren’t the most enticing. And that’s even before factoring in all the other handful of teams that figure to be desperate for a new quarterback this spring.  

San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo is widely expected to be traded as the 49ers have first-rounder Trey Lance waiting in the wings. But Garoppolo, with his inconsistency and injury history, is a polarizing option. He very likely would be an upgrade over starter Taylor Heinicke, but would he be an inspiring choice? Judging by recent chatter, probably not.

If not Garoppolo, a recent report from ESPN suggested that Indianapolis’ Carson Wentz could be had. The network reported Wentz’s future with the Colts “looks bleak” and said the quarterback would probably be traded or released by March 18, the deadline for his $22 million salary to become guaranteed. 

Washington fans are more than familiar with Wentz, having watched him play for the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC East. But the former No. 2 pick is far removed from the days of being regarded as one of the game’s best young quarterbacks. And last year with the Colts, Wentz and Indianapolis shockingly lost to the Jacksonville Jaguars in a must-win Week 18 matchup to miss the playoffs. 

In Indianapolis, Wentz had a strong support system in his former coach (Frank Reich), a dominant running back (Jonathan Taylor) and a stout offensive line. If he couldn’t make those circumstances work, then one has to wonder if he could truly salvage his career with the Commanders.

How about a reunion with Kirk Cousins? It seems unlikely since Minnesota just hired Kevin O’Connell, Cousins’ former quarterbacks coach in Washington who was reportedly “high” on the quarterback throughout the interview process.

Outside the trade market, Washington could take two other paths: the draft and free agency. This month’s Senior Bowl didn’t do much to boost the reputation of this year’s less-than-stellar quarterback class. And in free agency, there are veterans such as Teddy Bridgewater and Jameis Winston or reclamation projects like Mitch Trubisky and Marcus Mariotta. Either way, none of those names carries much excitement. 

So what else can Washington do? Houston’s Deshaun Watson is out there, but there’s plenty of uncertainty over his situation as 22 women have filed civil lawsuits accusing him of sexual misconduct. And besides, the Commanders are perhaps the last franchise that should pursue the 26-year-old given that more than 40 women said they were sexually harassed while working for the team. Former employee Tiffani Johnston, too, recently accused owner Dan Snyder of making an unwanted sexual advance.  

Should Washington decide Watson would be worth the risk, he would still have to choose them. The Texans quarterback has a no-trade clause, so he has the say over his next destination. And on Wednesday, ESPN reported that the teams that most interest Watson are the Vikings and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 

Meanwhile, Kyler Murray’s situation with the Arizona Cardinals bears monitoring. Murray caused a firestorm this month when he deleted every reference to the Cardinals from his Instagram and then reports emerged over the weekend that the Cardinals want the quarterback to become a better leader. Murray responded on Twitter, posting an old picture of him in a Cardinals uniform with a caption that said, “All of this nonsense is not what I’m about, never has been, never will be.”

If the Cardinals and Murray mutually decided they were done with each other, Murray would be exactly the type of quarterback Washington needs. The former No. 1 overall is still young — only 24 — and dynamic. 

But chances are, he’s not on the table. Just like a lot of other big names. 

27 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I suppose you can't get blood from a turnip.....LOL

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/feb/16/appealing-quarterback-options-could-run-out-quickl

Appealing quarterback options could run out quickly for Commanders

For those paying attention, Super Bowl week wasn’t kind to the Washington Commanders.

Not including the NFL clashing with the Commanders over sexual misconduct investigations, there were plenty of moments that might be discouraging for anyone hoping the team will land a significant upgrade at quarterback this offseason. 

Just look at what happened: Russell Wilson said in a radio interview he hoped to remain with the Seattle Seahawks. The NFL Network reported the Las Vegas Raiders plan to discuss a contract extension with Derek Carr. And Aaron Rodgers’ relationship with the Green Bay Packers is reportedly as good as it’s been in some time.

Of course, things could change. Wilson, for instance, wouldn’t be the first player to pledge loyalty to a franchise, only to leave. 

But the news highlights the difficulties Washington could face in acquiring a splashy quarterback — and how the number of appealing options could run out quickly if Wilson, Carr and Rodgers aren’t available.

If those three truly are off the market, the options left aren’t the most enticing. And that’s even before factoring in all the other handful of teams that figure to be desperate for a new quarterback this spring.  

San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo is widely expected to be traded as the 49ers have first-rounder Trey Lance waiting in the wings. But Garoppolo, with his inconsistency and injury history, is a polarizing option. He very likely would be an upgrade over starter Taylor Heinicke, but would he be an inspiring choice? Judging by recent chatter, probably not.

If not Garoppolo, a recent report from ESPN suggested that Indianapolis’ Carson Wentz could be had. The network reported Wentz’s future with the Colts “looks bleak” and said the quarterback would probably be traded or released by March 18, the deadline for his $22 million salary to become guaranteed. 

Washington fans are more than familiar with Wentz, having watched him play for the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC East. But the former No. 2 pick is far removed from the days of being regarded as one of the game’s best young quarterbacks. And last year with the Colts, Wentz and Indianapolis shockingly lost to the Jacksonville Jaguars in a must-win Week 18 matchup to miss the playoffs. 

In Indianapolis, Wentz had a strong support system in his former coach (Frank Reich), a dominant running back (Jonathan Taylor) and a stout offensive line. If he couldn’t make those circumstances work, then one has to wonder if he could truly salvage his career with the Commanders.

How about a reunion with Kirk Cousins? It seems unlikely since Minnesota just hired Kevin O’Connell, Cousins’ former quarterbacks coach in Washington who was reportedly “high” on the quarterback throughout the interview process.

Outside the trade market, Washington could take two other paths: the draft and free agency. This month’s Senior Bowl didn’t do much to boost the reputation of this year’s less-than-stellar quarterback class. And in free agency, there are veterans such as Teddy Bridgewater and Jameis Winston or reclamation projects like Mitch Trubisky and Marcus Mariotta. Either way, none of those names carries much excitement. 

So what else can Washington do? Houston’s Deshaun Watson is out there, but there’s plenty of uncertainty over his situation as 22 women have filed civil lawsuits accusing him of sexual misconduct. And besides, the Commanders are perhaps the last franchise that should pursue the 26-year-old given that more than 40 women said they were sexually harassed while working for the team. Former employee Tiffani Johnston, too, recently accused owner Dan Snyder of making an unwanted sexual advance.  

Should Washington decide Watson would be worth the risk, he would still have to choose them. The Texans quarterback has a no-trade clause, so he has the say over his next destination. And on Wednesday, ESPN reported that the teams that most interest Watson are the Vikings and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 

Meanwhile, Kyler Murray’s situation with the Arizona Cardinals bears monitoring. Murray caused a firestorm this month when he deleted every reference to the Cardinals from his Instagram and then reports emerged over the weekend that the Cardinals want the quarterback to become a better leader. Murray responded on Twitter, posting an old picture of him in a Cardinals uniform with a caption that said, “All of this nonsense is not what I’m about, never has been, never will be.”

If the Cardinals and Murray mutually decided they were done with each other, Murray would be exactly the type of quarterback Washington needs. The former No. 1 overall is still young — only 24 — and dynamic. 

But chances are, he’s not on the table. Just like a lot of other big names. 

I can't imagine we get shut out we have to get someone 

Wentz salary is fully guaranteed if he is on the Colts roster on March 18. If they release him before then they ‘only’ owe him $15M and they make a good cap saving. 

If they trade him the team that trades for him gets his contract and owes him $28M guaranteed. Two further years on his deal but no guarantees after this season. 

I can’t see there being a market for a trade for Wentz unless the Colts will do a restructure and eat some of that $28M - and Wentz would have to agree to the restructure which would allow him to have a say in where he goes.

If the Colts decide to move on from Wentz it’s likely he would just be released close to but before March 18. 

Huge red flag that a team that traded what ended up being a first round pick and change for Wentz would give up on him after one year (if they do). But he’d likely be the most talented option available at QB as a free agent.

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Wentz salary is fully guaranteed if he is on the Colts roster on March 18. If they release him before then they ‘only’ owe him $15M and they make a good cap saving. 

If they trade him the team that trades for him gets his contract and owes him $28M guaranteed. Two further years on his deal but no guarantees after this season. 

I can’t see there being a market for a trade for Wentz unless the Colts will do a restructure and eat some of that $28M - and Wentz would have to agree to the restructure which would allow him to have a say in where he goes.

If the Colts decide to move on from Wentz it’s likely he would just be released close to but before March 18. 

Huge red flag that a team that traded what ended up being a first round pick and change for Wentz would give up on him after one year (if they do). But he’d likely be the most talented option available at QB as a free agent.

I agree about the money and waiting for him to be released and talent, but I always use this link to look at the player's injury history.  This concerns me about Wentz:  

Carson Wentz - Injury History (draftsharks.com)

P.S.  I think he suffered another concussion this year too. 

Let me know your thoughts,  MartinC. :) 

Edited by RWJ

8 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

That is a reason not to take him. He is the most skilled of available Qb of the bunch.  We are probably going to have to pick from this group. 

JimmyG 

Wentz

Trubsiky 

Marrota

Bridgewater

Winston 

I figure we will be trying to get a qb next year unless one of them plays amazing. For this year to be successful I want ten wins, playoffs, and a new Mlb, Wr, and g. Also to have the draft picks to get the top vet or franchise qb for a major trade next year.

You're probably right on the likely options. But it's really just dumpster diving at this point. Trubisky and Mariota couldn't find starting jobs in 2021. Winston couldn't find one in 2020, and only really got one in 2021 because New Orleans was something like $80 million over the cap. Bridgewater was basically traded for a bag of balls last offseason. Wentz played his way out of a starting job for two good organizations that still both need QBs. And Jimmy G? Well I guess he's the best of the lot, when he isn't injured (which he always is). Can I just take none of the above?

2 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

He's also something of a statue back in the pocket. When Wentz was with the Eagles, they had some pretty good OLs to cover that issue up. But when the OL started to falter, so did Wentz. I figure Indi was the ideal destination for Wentz given their OL strength. But if Indi couldn't make it work, Wentz could prove disastrous elsewhere. He should be no more than a free agent flyer.

14 minutes ago, Jericho said:

You're probably right on the likely options. But it's really just dumpster diving at this point. Trubisky and Mariota couldn't find starting jobs in 2021. Winston couldn't find one in 2020, and only really got one in 2021 because New Orleans was something like $80 million over the cap. Bridgewater was basically traded for a bag of balls last offseason. Wentz played his way out of a starting job for two good organizations that still both need QBs. And Jimmy G? Well I guess he's the best of the lot, when he isn't injured (which he always is). Can I just take none of the above?

He's also something of a statue back in the pocket. When Wentz was with the Eagles, they had some pretty good OLs to cover that issue up. But when the OL started to falter, so did Wentz. I figure Indi was the ideal destination for Wentz given their OL strength. But if Indi couldn't make it work, Wentz could prove disastrous elsewhere. He should be no more than a free agent flyer.

It is a bad bunch they have to bring someone in. If they can find someone else other then that group great, but they have to bring another Qb in.

25 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree about the money and waiting for him to be released and talent, but I always use this link to look at the player's injury history.  This concerns me about Wentz:  

Carson Wentz - Injury History (draftsharks.com)

P.S.  I think he suffered another concussion this year too. 

Let me know your thoughts,  MartinC. :) 

I would be very wary of signing Wentz to any deal that tied us to him for more than two years. And signing him would not change my plans or grades in the draft.  In fact I would be very wary of signing him period.

His injury history is a real concern and also having a team (potentially) give up on you after just one season after giving up a first round pick for you speaks volumes.

But you’d have to do due diligence at a minimum if he was a free agent.

If it was a choice of a 2nd round pick for Jimmy or Wentz as a free agent I’d take Wentz all day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

It is a bad bunch they have to bring someone in. If they can find someone else other then that group great, but they have to bring another Qb in.

But do they? There's no point of making a move just to say you made a move if it's a bad one. I suppose if its just a free agent, that's fine. That's just money out of Dan's pocket. I don't see much point in trading draft picks for this lot. The draft also looks weak, so I hope the team doesn't force a move. But I suspect the team will force something and it will bust quickly.

14 minutes ago, Jericho said:

But do they? There's no point of making a move just to say you made a move if it's a bad one. I suppose if its just a free agent, that's fine. That's just money out of Dan's pocket. I don't see much point in trading draft picks for this lot. The draft also looks weak, so I hope the team doesn't force a move. But I suspect the team will force something and it will bust quickly.

Yeah they do, I am not to worried about Dan's pocket. At a minimum they have to have a battle for the starting spot. We have to hope for a Ryan Tannehill situation.

All are free agents and no one is trading for Wentz with out it being a Brock Osweiller deal. 

Another guy they could get is Tyrod Taylor but he will not save us.

Edited by Redskins 2021

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

I hope RR isn't taken by it and doesn't listen to Mayhew if Mayhew tries to persuade RR to trade for JG.  Mayhew may not have an interest in JG but he was there when JG was a 9er.  Just saying. We can better than take on millions of dollars of his contract and by re-upping our own players or signing other FAs and keep whatever draft pick (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, 4th whatever) and spend it as I have mentioned a FA QB and draft our QB.    

I think they would let him play out the last year of his contract and see how he does w/o extending him.  RR has to know better.  JG has been injured multiple times and is not the current or LT answer.

Yep. If he wasn’t injury prone; he would still be a 49er.