Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, FunBunch7 said:

Saw this on Twitter... 

So let me get this straight... our home unis are burgundy & gold... our road unis are red/white/black... and our alternate unis are black & yellow... 

image.png.4b91653e5c52554c44ff3dae2692f426.png

The one on the left would have been so crisp if they went with it. The red looks terrible. And if it's burgundy, as Wright says, why design it so it doesn't LOOK burgundy. But that sure as heck doesn't look burgundy. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

My strategy would be fence swinging:

Wilson, Rodgers, Carr.

When that inevitably fails I’m looking at the draft and doing what I have to to get the guy I want. 

If they don’t get a big name they need a first round QB. No way around it. The bridge is irrelevant.

Signing Mariota or Trubisky does nothing either way for me in the absence of the big name until we see the draft. If we leave round 1 without a QB frustration will set in for me.

That's all fine, but the thing is you're going to have to sign your FA guy before the draft.  

If they strike out with Wilson/Rodgers/Carr, we'll know that before FA starts.  I just really doubt any of those guys get traded during the draft.  I think it's going to be like the Alex Smith deal.  They'll announce it as soon as they can, that way everybody knows where they are at.  Big names like that won't be draft-day trades.  At least, that's my gut reaction.  

Watson, who knows.  That could linger because of his legal issues.

So, if they strike, out, I think they HAVE to sign a guy.  Pick your favorite, I don't care.  But you just absolutely cannot go into the draft with TH as your other option.  The draft is a complete crap shoot.  You could have a trade ready to go up to 4, and then some idiot team trades to 2 right at the last minute and all your plans are screwed.  

I think if they sign a guy, they will still pursue the first rounder. But at least you know you're not going into next year with any plan of TH starting a game for any reason other than injury.  You have to put yourself into that position by the second or third day of the league year at a minimum.  

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's all fine, but the thing is you're going to have to sign your FA guy before the draft.  

If they strike out with Wilson/Rodgers/Carr, we'll know that before FA starts.  I just really doubt any of those guys get traded during the draft.  I think it's going to be like the Alex Smith deal.  They'll announce it as soon as they can, that way everybody knows where they are at.  Big names like that won't be draft-day trades.  At least, that's my gut reaction.  

Watson, who knows.  That could linger because of his legal issues.

So, if they strike, out, I think they HAVE to sign a guy.  Pick your favorite, I don't care.  But you just absolutely cannot go into the draft with TH as your other option.  The draft is a complete crap shoot.  You could have a trade ready to go up to 4, and then some idiot team trades to 2 right at the last minute and all your plans are screwed.  

I think if they sign a guy, they will still pursue the first rounder. But at least you know you're not going into next year with any plan of TH starting a game for any reason other than injury.  You have to put yourself into that position by the second or third day of the league year at a minimum.  

I don't think you understand.

As I said, I don't care about the bridge. If we sign Mariota or Trubisky I'm not going to be excited or stroke out from anger... Until I see the first round of the draft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think you understand.

As I said, I don't care about the bridge. If we sign Mariota or Trubisky I'm not going to be excited or stroke out from anger... Until I see the first round of the draft.

I do understand, all I'm saying is if we strike out, we've got to sign one of those guys before we get to the draft.

It won't excite me either. 

I guess my perspective really is TH can't play.  So you need another guy regardless.  Others think he can.  I don't.  I think he's so limiting, if you get a rookie, he shouldn't even be the backup.  Or potentially even on the team.  

If you get Rodgers/Wilson/Carr/Watson, I don't care if he's the backup. 

28 minutes ago, FunBunch7 said:

Saw this on Twitter... 

So let me get this straight... our home unis are burgundy & gold... our road unis are red/white/black... and our alternate unis are black & yellow... 

image.png.4b91653e5c52554c44ff3dae2692f426.png

The one on the right looks like a stupid XFL uniform or something. Kill it with fire.

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think the new name actually changes my view on the QB situation. If "Commanders" is the best they can come up with after 2 years then we probably deserve to spend a 1st round pick and give a huge contract to Jimmy G.

That's better comrade. Fall in line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm confused why you're explaining it to me like I have no idea what you're talking about. I am not saying you haven't said it. 

This is the line I was replying to originally:

Signing Mariota or Trubisky does nothing either way for me in the absence of the big name until we see the draft. If we leave round 1 without a QB frustration will set in for me.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I was just saying you have to sign one of those guys before the draft regardless of anything else.

And nothing about how I feel about them will be changed by the draft.  We need one of those guys first, and then we need to draft the best prospect on their board, and I see those as two completely separate things, with one not really impacting the view of the other. 

It's possible I just misunderstood what you were saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I think the new name actually changes my view on the QB situation. If "Commanders" is the best they can come up with after 2 years then we probably deserve to spend a 1st round pick and give a huge contract to Jimmy G.

A huge contract would be a travesty. Fortunately a Jimmy G acquisition would surely be made with a rookie 1st round QB. Discouraging them from locking into an average starting pocket QB for 3 years— I imagine. I’d feel the same about Carr :) 

15 minutes ago, wit33 said:

A huge contract would be a travesty. Fortunately a Jimmy G acquisition would surely be made with a rookie 1st round QB. Discouraging them from locking into an average starting pocket QB for 3 years— I imagine. I’d feel the same about Carr :) 

If they got Jimmy G and drafted a 1st round rookie I'd be fine with it (though I still think it would still be a waste of a likely 2nd round pick on a guy who's IMO only marginally better than Mariota or Trubisky). But I still have a hard time seeing it. He's going to want a long term deal and if they get a 2nd (or even a 1st) for him, then he's likely to get it. I think that makes it much less likely that they'll draft a QB. I think if we get Jimmy G we'll be stuck with him for at least 2 seasons.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wonder if Ciara would like to live in DC?

Also, I wonder what Russ would want to go along with him.  We have the cap room to sign just about anybody else.  Is there a top flight receiver he wants to pair with McLaurin?  We can do that too.  (It's easy with Rodgers, he wants Adams. I don't know about Russ).  

We know he has no love for any of his OCs he's had in Seattle. Would he like to work with Scott Turner?  Would Turner be willing to modify his system to what Russ likes to do?

I think the obvious fit for Russ would be either Tampa (if they're not going to go into complete re-build mode) or Pittsburgh.  I thin he and Tomlin would get along really well.

But if Ron could get him here...  

If as I expect Dan is going to build DanVegas in Dulles, maybe he guarantees her a custom theater for any future shows?  :P 

I have nothing concrete to answer these but would say Ron and Marty need to sell the heck out of being a Commander to Russell and make Schneider/Carroll an offer than have to think really hard about.

Pro's - 

Big liberal city an hour flight from NY

Good core of talent and players with a pair of 1000 year WR/RB

Really solid offensive line

Cap space

"Avatars" along the defensive line

Pretty sweet looking uniforms (my opinion) has a Steelers vibe

Ron Rivera - guys love him

Listens to their QB, i.e. Fitz wanted Humphries

Con's -

Dan Snyder and all the crap that's surrounding him

If I were Wilson, I would make my new contract contingent on Rivera being here so I wasn't pigeon holed if something happened to Ron.

10 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I have nothing concrete to answer these but would say Ron and Marty need to sell the heck out of being a Commander to Russell and make Schneider/Carroll an offer than have to think really hard about.

Pro's - 

Big liberal city an hour flight from NY

Good core of talent and players with a pair of 1000 year WR/RB

Really solid offensive line

Cap space

"Avatars" along the defensive line

Pretty sweet looking uniforms (my opinion) has a Steelers vibe

Ron Rivera - guys love him

Listens to their QB, i.e. Fitz wanted Humphries

Con's -

Dan Snyder and all the crap that's surrounding him

If I were Wilson, I would make my new contract contingent on Rivera being here so I wasn't pigeon holed if something happened to Ron.

I still think the chances of Wilson deciding to add us to his short list are very very slim. I don't think we should be getting our hopes up.

Speaking of cap space, Spotrac now has us at $30mil (just top 51).  Doesn’t that become pretty problematic if/when we try to fit a vet in?  We can do it of course, but we also need money for in-season (and rooks), and can we still re-sign McKissick, McCain, etc. or add other pieces (like a MLB)?  I suppose we might trade Payne and get his 8mil off the books, or cut Collins, but still…

I liked it better when we were at 59mil;)