Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Eagles fans are dumb.  The NFC has always been wide open, and Nick Foles won as many super bowls in the conference as Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers did.  This isn't the NBA, there is always parity in the league, and especially so in the NFC.  Fear of the Eagles getting a good QB wouldn't be what got me to pay more for Wilson than I'd be comfortable with.  And it also wouldn't make them a contender by itself.

Fear of the Eagles getting a QB isn't what drove my point.  The point related to the Eagles is if you take their roster and give them an elite QB, watch out.  I'd rather it be us than them. But that's not the main plot line for me. 

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I also don't think there is a big gap between Wilson and Ryan like you think.  You're talking about an MVP winning QB with 200 career AV in Ryan.  Someone who averages 15.8 AV per season vs someone who averages 14.5.  The fact that we would have to be willing to pay so much more for Wilson to get that 1.3 extra AV indicates to me that there is q rating inflation in Wilson's value that makes him a bad deal.

We are on different planets if you don't think there is much difference between Wilson and Ryan.  So to avoid wasting each other time on this, lets cap it off on this point.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

50 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I like the idea of Mariota as well if free agency is the path taken. Stylistically his game reminds me a bit of Alex Smith, but without all the elite intangibles. 

Mariota, faster (4.48 versus 4.7) than Alex and IMO if he could stay healthy could run for more yards than Alex ever did.  But staying healthy is the operative challenge for Mariota.

Not option one, but I’d be all for this move. His name has not been brought up by sources much, right? It’s all in on Watson or Rodgers for me— those two I’d do whatever it takes. Just don’t see the NFL allowing a trade for Watson to take place until legal matters have concluded, a bad look. 

I'd love Rodgers, Watson (if he had no baggage).  Unlike you, I'd throw Wilson in that pile, too.

Mariota, Willis, and Heineke is a QB room I can get behind. 

Some here wouldn't be cool with it.  but I definitely would be more than cool with it. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 2.00.07 PM.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This is interesting, Wilson getting some heat from players about taking less money.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/2/1/22912079/former-seattle-seahawks-cliff-avril-k-j-wright-weigh-in-on-russell-wilsons-contract-goff-stafford

Former Seahawks Cliff Avril and K.J. Wright weigh in on Russell Wilson’s contract

Fact remains, the Seahawks have not been close to a contender since Wilson got paid elite dollars. 

QBs must “play ball” with their organizations if they want to consistently contend. Sure, an organization can skew the cap for a year, but then you end up in a situation like the Titans who will be paying Tannenhill top 5 QB money next year. It doesn’t work for the middling QB and I believe the top 10 (where I put Wilson) also struggle to be contenders while taking up a great deal of the cap. 

For example Mahomes and Josh Allen worked with their organizations to position the team to remain contenders. 

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

For example Mahomes and Josh Allen worked with their organizations to position the team to remain contenders. 

Their contracts are majorly staggered but not for long.  They end up getting big money so no Brady discount.  Brady is a unicorn.

Lets take Mahomes, this year it was great, but next year its 36 mill and then after that it shoots to the mid 40s, soon into the 50s. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mariota, faster (4.48 versus 4.7) than Alex and IMO if he could stay healthy could run for more yards than Alex ever did.  But staying healthy is the operative challenge for Mariota.

For sure, Imagine if Alex was able to run his Utah offense 15 years ago— a lot of what we see today. He still put together good rushing yard seasons while under Reid. Didn’t run at all with Niners. Crazy. 

It’s a good comp in my eyes in many than just top end speed. Both taller athletic dudes, similar arm strength, mixed early struggles and success, good ball handling skills, and effective in the short game. 

I'd love Rodgers, Watson (if he had no baggage).  Unlike you, I'd throw Wilson in that pile, too.

Rodgers is a clear tier above Wilson and Watson. 

Yeah, lukewarm on Wilson. Totally personal in this regard, but he gives off Kirk Cousins vibes. As a fan, I didn’t like the way he carried himself, but understand that’s completely subjective and know you loved the guy Kirk was/is. 

Football reasons I’ve mentioned a few times.

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

For sure, Imagine if Alex was able to run his Utah offense 15 years ago— a lot of what we see today. He still put together good rushing yard seasons while under Reid. Didn’t run at all with Niners. Crazy. 

It’s a good comp in my eyes in many than just top end speed. Both taller athletic dudes, similar arm strength, mixed early struggles and success, good ball handling skills, and effective in the short game. 

The irony is Mariota and Alex faced each other in the playoffs, it was Alex's last game in KC.    I think Martioa is less conservative than Alex but still on the conservative spectrum as a QB.  My main attraction to Mariota is his speed is special for a QB, not many run in the 4.4's, and he's a good runner too.  But can he stay healthy?

Rodgers is a clear tier above Wilson and Watson. 

No doubt.  Rodgers outside of Brady might be the best QB to ever play the game.

Yeah, lukewarm on Wilson. Totally personal in this regard, but he gives off Kirk Cousins vibes. 

As a player my issue with Kirk is "clutch gene".  Wilson might be the best clutch QB IMO over the last 20 years.   When we were beating Seattle, I told my wife who was watching the game with me, yeah Wilson isn't having a good game but heck its the last drive, the dude gets possessed with the game on the line.  My wife went you are crazy, he's not having a good game, you could chill.  He ended up short of a 2nd point failed attempt pulling off a comeback -- bum hand-thumb and all.

I could certainly see Rodgers coming here in Denver weren't rumored to be in hot pursuit and Rodgers having interest there. Not to mention his former OC this year is their new HC. It just makes too much sense if he gets moved, for him to go to Denver. I would expect Denver would send #9, a 2023 1st, and Jerry Jeudy at a minimum. Denver gets Rodgers, and then goes out and brings in Adams in FA (maybe a handshake deal for GB not to tag him as part of the deal, since idk if Green Bay has the space to tag and trade Adams early in the off-season). Technically, tagging and trading Adams as part of a Rodgers deal might violate the "sanctity of the tag" or whatever.

Now if Denver doesn't materialize, I could see Rodgers wanting to come here. But I don't think we have the cap flexibility to trade for Rodgers, incur his salary cap hit, AND go give Adams $30m APY as he's rumored to want as a 30 year old WR with Samuels ($12m) on the roster and a need to extend Terry.

I could see us being an attractive destination for Rodgers, but we have to be a clear 2nd or 3rd option for him (Tampa might even be in play at this point, who knows).

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Only difference we might have but not sure where you stand on this, is I'd be jazzed about Derrek Carr.  I'd take Carr over Corral.  But Corral is my guy as far as Qbs in this draft.

I'm here exactly too, Carr right below Wilson... just don't see how it happens. I guess if Vegas somehow wants Wilson? But even then I bet Carr is in the exchange. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Its a really big deal if Carson looks mobile. If he can move and the knee looks good at the combine medicals than he could shoot up to number 2/1 in the pecking order. His arm strength is really the only elite trait in this draft. 

Carson having some mobility and his knee checking out would be game changers.  I talked about it more on the draft thread.  I've been Carson Strong >>>> Ridder among other things for awhile.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The irony is Mariota and Alex faced each other in the playoffs, it was Alex's last game in KC.    I think Martioa is less conservative than Alex but still on the conservative spectrum as a QB.  My main attraction to Mariota is his speed is special for a QB, not many run in the 4.4's, and he's a good runner too.  But can he stay healthy?

For sure, like you I’d be excited about him as a mid level reclamation project. I say mid level, because it’s not like the dude hasn’t experienced success. He’s not a bust. Established competence. 

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt.  Rodgers outside of Brady might be the best QB to ever play the game.

As a player my issue with Kirk is "clutch gene".  Wilson might be the best clutch QB IMO over the last 20 years.   When we were beating Seattle, I told my wife who was watching the game with me, yeah Wilson isn't having a good game but heck its the last drive, the dude gets possessed with the game on the line.  My wife went you are crazy, he's not having a good game, you could chill.  He ended up short of a 2nd point failed attempt pulling off a comeback -- bum hand-thumb and all.

Im one who believes the clutch gene is totally overrated. I believe QBs who can extend and create will have a greater chance to succeed in later stages of a game— be clutch. Resort to backyard football. 

If Kirk is given a good to great play calls to end a game he will crush it, if the defense provides any form of resistance that requires going off script, he will struggle. Less to do with being clutch and more about his inability to extend, create, and throw off various platforms. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There is definitely some smoke there. I still think Rivera may have a deal in place for him already. Rivera is just talking to confidently for someone who does not already have a deal in place for a QB.

In the Las Vegas News paper the new GM said we will have to see when asked if he was keeping Carr. I get the feeling they don't want to extend his contract is the biggest problem for them. 

Las Vegas made all the list of teams the top QB would want to play for Watson, Rodgers, and Wilson plus the new coach has worked with JimmyG before.

The McDaniels hire does not guarantee they don't trade Carr. They may want one of the big 3 or they may think they can do it with JimmyG at much cheaper rate.

Carr with his age would be the best fit for us he is not Wilson but he is not JimmyG

He is young enough you could get 5 more season out of him. Radiers are not going to want to lose him for nothing but may not want to pay him why not get a big package now.

We have cap room and the picks to make trade.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

For sure, like you I’d be excited about him as a mid level reclamation project. I say mid level, because it’s not like the dude hasn’t experienced success. He’s not a bust. Established competence. 

Im one who believes the clutch gene is totally overrated. I believe QBs who can extend and create will have a greater chance to succeed in later stages of a game— be clutch. Resort to backyard football. 

If Kirk is given a good to great play calls to end a game he will crush it, if the defense provides any form of resistance that requires going off script, he will struggle. Less to do with being clutch and more about his inability to extend, create, and throw off various platforms. 

There are extend play type QBs who aren't known to be clutch and for that matter pocket QBs who are clutch.

• Like 2

Plan A: Three 1sts, Montez Sweat, another lesser pick/player for Russell Wilson

Plan B: Two 1sts and a lesser pick/player for Derek Carr

Plan C: Trade up for whomever QB1 is on the draft board and sign a vet

Caveats: I'm DQ'ing Watson for my own moral reasons and DQ'ing Rodgers because I feel like Denver is the natural landing spot for him.

Note: Jimmy G makes no sense to me. He'd be a placeholder for us and why would he want to go from SF to another spot where he has a rookie behind him waiting to take over? If we trade for him, we wouldn't give him a fat extension and then he'd be pissed. Failed marriage waiting to happen. Just don't see how it plays out successfully even as a backup plan.

I am not a Jimmy G guy but wouldn't hate it if everything else fails and they got him cheap.  i think its funny how out there it is that they are trading him, they are not pretending they might keep him as some teams tend to do before they discard a player

I dont know but I think there will be alot of interest in him. 

So, one thing I don't think Jimmy G is getting enough credit for is a pretty gutty performance. He had a bad shoulder and a host of other injuries over the past two weeks. That's going to impact your accuracy.

I still don't want him, but I do think he ought to be appreciated.