Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I follow the train of his discussion this is Keim saying the Raiders could be swinging for the fences at QB and want draft capital.

I know some here are yawn about Carr but IMO I think they are crazy.  :ols:  The arguments feels so similar to arguments that were used against Stafford in last year's QB thread which were the proof is in the pudding and that is Stafford just doesn't win, he doesn't elevate his team, etc, etc, etc.

Carr IMO is so similar to what I thought of Stafford's situation was last year.  Carr is on a team that is almost all on his shoulders.  Bad supporting cast.  Yet he's an above average talent.  And he's a proven clutch player.   

I think there could be some truth to this. I know everyone thinks Carr is not moving and he probably won't but there a feeling that las vegas may want to do something big.

Alot, of these big Qb Wilson, Rodgers, and Watson have LV on there list of teams they are willing to play for. Guess we have to see how it plays out. 

I think the teams to watch are Las Vegas and Denver they are most likely to make a move.

I think Rodgers is going to Denver I could see LV wanting to match that move with a Wilson or Watson.

Edited by Redskins 2021

If the Raiders let Carr go their new regime is shot from the start.

Jimmy G made it impossible for SF to keep him with his performance last night. He also likely significantly lowered his price tag. But here’s the question: How much of his success is based on the fact his teammates like him and play for him? It’s similar to Heinicke here. I think Jimmy is an upgrade skill wise but can he quarterback a team like this and get them to buy in? Having said that I’m not sure I’d give up anything more than a 5 for Jimmy G.

I have no idea what options were going to have beyond the draft. Honestly doesn’t seem like much.

54 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Sounds like Pickett is in for a fun February.....

Look, it’s a bit bizarre that isn’t it? I mean, he hasn’t just become double jointed has he? Maybe do those exercises earlier ? Talk about making the whole deal a slightly bigger deal.

Just say, hey, measure my hands, double jointed part and all. I will tell you now, they are oddly shaped and somewhat small. Now give me a ball and I’ll throw it for you. I’m good at that.

Except theres been a correlation between fumbles and hand size. Neverminding that the NFL ball is bigger.

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If the Raiders let Carr go their new regime is shot from the start.

Agree if it stops there but if its a road for Wilson or Watson, it should work. The Raiders were supposedly one of the teams on Wilson's list.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I

Jimmy G made it impossible for SF to keep him with his performance last night. He also likely significantly lowered his price tag. But here’s the question: How much of his success is based on the fact his teammates like him and play for him? It’s similar to Heinicke here. I think Jimmy is an upgrade skill wise but can he quarterback a team like this and get them to buy in? Having said that I’m not sure I’d give up anything more than a 5 for Jimmy G.

I have no idea what options were going to have beyond the draft. Honestly doesn’t seem like much.

Jimmy G comps feel sort of like a mix of Alex Smith and Heinicke.  Great guy.  Great leader.  Limited player.  Judging by what reporters are saying, Kyle will beat the drum for a first rounder but he won't get it for Jimmy G but some team might offer a 2nd.  I think its either a 2nd or 3rd.  

I'd much rather have Carr than Jimmy G.  I know some here seem to put every non-top 10 Qb in the same pile as if they are all more or less the same.  But not me.  Carr IMO has the leadership skills AND the talent.

So I am hoping the Raiders do try to upgrade and the team they deal with don't take Carr back as part of the package. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 3.55.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 3.56.30 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I can't believe we may start next year with a lame name change, the same stadium that was built on knock off Legos and an overpaid, Jimmy ****ing G as our starting QB. The guy's career is based on luck with zero skill. 

It's like we're run by scientists that develop new formulas so we continue to be mediocre and an overall joke. 

1 minute ago, jservs7 said:

I can't believe we may start next year with a lame name change, the same stadium that was built on knock off Legos and an overpaid, Jimmy ****ing G as our starting QB. The guy's career is based on luck with zero skill. 

It's like we're run by scientists that develop new formulas so we continue to be mediocre and an overall joke. 

I am not ready to go down that road yet.

55 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What is the good reason for why the NFL measures hand size for QBs via the span from pinky tip to thumb tip instead of from thumb tip to middle finger tip in the shape of a grip you use to hold a football?  Surely in this day and age they can work out how to measure the distance of a curve.

Assuming most peoples’ hands are fairly proportional it probably doesn’t matter which method they use, as long as they use the same method for everyone. Right? Definitely one of those archaic things that they just never stopped doing, but now they want to be able to compare historically rather than change anything.

Like how we’ll continue to measure 40 times going into the future even though GPS measurements of game speed are more and more available every year and more representative of actual speed. 

edit: saw a tweet where someone mentioned that when you’re being measured for a bowling ball, they don’t measure your hand on a flat surface but on a round one. Surely something similar could be done with an NFL-football sized measuring device, which also measures grip strength during the throw. Just something with a chip inside and a surface that measures where the hand lies and the pressure of the grip as it’s thrown like a regular NFL football. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jservs7 said:

we could use a little luck and if Garropalo has as little skill as people say, he might have a lot of luck

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

McDaniels going to the Raiders means Carr is staying. He basically outlined an entire offensive system he'd build around Carr when he interviewed with them. 

I can see them feeling like, if Aaron Rodgers goes to the Broncos going with Carr could be dangerous

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Assuming most peoples’ hands are fairly proportional it probably doesn’t matter which method they use, as long as they use the same method for everyone. Right? Definitely one of those archaic things that they just never stopped doing, but now they want to be able to compare historically rather than change anything.

Like how we’ll continue to measure 40 times going into the future even though GPS measurements of game speed are more and more available every year and more representative of actual speed. 

edit: saw a tweet where someone mentioned that when you’re being measured for a bowling ball, they don’t measure your hand on a flat surface but on a round one. Surely something similar could be done with an NFL-football sized measuring device, which also measures grip strength during the throw. Just something with a chip inside and a surface that measures where the hand lies and the pressure of the grip as it’s thrown like a regular NFL football. 

Yep.  The measurement is nonsensical TBH, and doesn't actually calculate what everyone infers that it does.  They measure thumb to pinky tip span, and that is much more of a measure of pinky flexibility than hand size, and it is certainly not a measure of grip strength.  I did this measurement on my own hands and my left hand measured bigger than my right hand because my pinky is much more flexible on that hand, but I am right handed and my grip strength is far better in my right hand.  And we see that this measurement is made ridiculous when someone like Pickett with a weird thumb comes along.  Another way it could be irrelevantly thrown off is if someone had a Brian Baldinger pinky, and ****ed up hands are not that uncommon in the sport.

Nobody grips a football between their thumb and pinky.  In almost any grip, the lightest point of pressure is coming from that pinky.  When you're gripping the ball to throw, you're primarily gripping it between your first two fingers and your thumb and the last points of contact on a throw are the first two fingers.  And when you're gripping the ball before you bring it up to throw, you're usually using two hands anyway unless you're scrambling, in which case, if that ball gets swiped by an NFL defender who caught you unaware, it's coming out no matter who you are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yep.  The measurement is nonsensical TBH, and doesn't actually calculate what everyone infers that it does.  They measure thumb to pinky tip span, and that is much more of a measure of pinky flexibility than hand size, and it is certainly not a measure of grip strength.  I did this measurement on my own hands and my left hand measured bigger than my right hand because my pinky is much more flexible on that hand, but I am right handed and my grip strength is far better in my right hand.  And we see that this measurement is made ridiculous when someone like Pickett with a weird thumb comes along.  Another way it could be irrelevantly thrown off is if someone had a Brian Baldinger pinky, and ****ed up hands are not that uncommon in the sport.

Nobody grips a football between their thumb and pinky.  In almost any grip, the lightest point of pressure is coming from that pinky.  When you're gripping the ball to throw, you're primarily gripping it between your first two fingers and your thumb and the last points of contact on a throw are the first two fingers.  And when you're gripping the ball before you bring it up to throw, you're usually using two hands anyway unless you're scrambling, in which case, if that ball gets swiped by an NFL defender who caught you unaware, it's coming out no matter who you are.

The pinky is the balance finger. It matters. The more surface area of the ball the hand covers the more secure it becomes. It’s like a NBA player being able to palm the ball versus not. Harder to rip It free if you can palm it. You have more control.

But it’s not the hand size that matters. Quite honestly no one should give a **** about the actual measurement. Can he grip and throw a NFL ball? Yes? Good. No? Bad.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

No, we couldn't have had Hebert.  No one had him ranked that high.  Like you said, the Young pick wasn't disputed by many on here or the analysts.  And if we were going QB, it probably would have been Tua.  No one had Herbert at 2. 

Quite frankly, Young has a long, long way to go to make me feel good about picking him there, quarterback issues aside. 

You’re missing my point, or maybe I just did a poor job of saying… we could have had a qb at #2 (which absolutely could have been Herbert, regardless of analyst rankings) but my point is we were completely out of the qb game because we had Haskins going into his 2nd year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Listen....

It does matter. 

Greater or equal to 9" hands for a QB in the NFL. That is more important than height.

It's hard enough to keep the ball without tiny hands at QB. 

Agree. The measurement itself doesn’t matter is my point. Why? You can either grip it and rip it or not. And generally if the hand measurement isn’t large enough… you cant. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Agree. The measurement itself doesn’t matter is my point. Why? You can either grip it and rip it or not. And generally if the hand measurement isn’t large enough… you cant. 

the measurement matters so people know

9 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Breer says they offered more than a 1 and a 3 for Stafford, and that talks fell apart when Detroit started asking for players too.  First I heard of that. 

Big write up on our search for a QB. 

Interesting.  I guess that's why Rivera is saying now he's game to include players.  I get the sense he regrets not being even more aggressive than he was. 

We’ve got another team for you that’ll be all the way into the 2022 quarterback derby.

The Washington Football Team is preparing to take a big swing at a quarterback this offseason, per team sources. The team has just one quarterback, veteran Taylor Heinicke, under contract for next year, more than $40 million of cap space to work with and the 11th pick in the draft to potentially dangle in a trade.

Last year, Washington threw its hat into the ring on Matthew Stafford, initially offering the 21st pick and a third-rounder for him, then upping its offer (talks stalled when the Lions asked for players in return) before the Rams got more aggressive. From there, Washington turned to Plan B: signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal. Fitzpatrick suffered a season-ending hip injury in Week 1, and Heinicke took over from there.

As to the effort to find its next franchise quarterback, with big names like Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson potentially out there, Washington feels like it has plenty to pitch such a veteran. While Brandon Scherff’s free agency looms (it’ll be open-minded approaching a new contract), WFT had the NFL’s sixth-ranked offensive line per PFF last year, and its depth was proven through significant absences that led to the coaches going to their fourth center, fourth tackle, and fourth and fifth guards.

Washington also has a 1,000-yard receiver (Terry McLaurin), a 1,000-yard rusher (Antonio Gibson) and other weapons on the offensive side of the ball, like Logan Thomas and Curtis Samuel, returning from injury. And the defense has a good foundation in its still-young defensive line, particularly with Chase Young coming back from ACL surgery.

Then, there’s the intangible factors—getting to live in the D.C. area and being on the front end of a team rebrand that’ll be unveiled Wednesday. And the fact that the cap flexibility would give a quarterback a shot to bring a piece or two with him.

So if you put all that together, there’s reason to pay attention to Washington, as the Football Team again throws its hat in the ring. There’s no guarantee, of course, that Ron Rivera, Martin Mayhew and Marty Hurney reel in their big fish in March or April, and the failed pursuit of Stafford is proof. But if they don’t land one, it sure won’t be because their line isn’t in the water.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/31/maqb-washington-football-team-veteran-quarterback-free-agency

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

• The Niners’ plan remains to turn to Trey Lance in 2022, based on what I could gather last week—I figured I should circle back on that then given the run San Francisco was on. That said, I can say without equivocation that the team has a ton of respect for what Jimmy Garoppolo did in navigating an incredibly difficult situation. “Jimmy's been unbelievable this year,” Kyle Shanahan told me earlier this month. “And I really think when Jimmy's been healthy, he's played how he always has, which is more like a top quarterback. I think people are a little unfair with him, but Jimmy, he's the same guy regardless. I mean, I've known him for five years, and he's always the same guy and the guys really fight for him.” So, where does Lance stand? In a nutshell, his rookie year was a bit of a roller coaster. The first 10 days of training camp were a revelation to the coaches and front office—Lance came back from summer break looking like a different quarterback. It made the team ask itself if it could hand what it believed was a championship roster over to a rookie. Then, he leveled off a little, and, when pressed into action against Arizona in Week 5, put some really shaky tape out there. The good news is he learned from the experience. The staff felt like he was ascending again as the regular season came to an end. The Niners feel good about where they are with Lance and are poised to hand him the reins.

What would the market bear for Garoppolo? It’s an interesting question. He’s got just one year left on his deal at a reasonable rate for a starting quarterback: His base for 2022 is $24.2 million, and he’s got $800,000 in per-game roster bonuses and a $600,000 workout bonus. And the reality is that teams are going to strike out on the Watsons of the world, and Garoppolo is out there as a pretty good Plan B. Maybe Carolina strikes. Maybe Houston—based on who it hires as coach—takes a look. Or if Derek Carr (also in a contract year) isn’t the guy for Josh McDaniels (and I don’t know one way or the other on that), then Vegas could be a natural fit. Regardless, the next phase of his career is likely as the veteran placeholder for a team, where he can either compete with/help mentor a draft pick, like he did this year, or be the starter for a year or two to give a team flexibility to wait on drafting one, like Alex Smith did for Kansas City.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/31/maqb-washington-football-team-veteran-quarterback-free-agency

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

There is 0 chance Jimmy G returns to San Fran. 0. Zilch. Zippo. You don't spend 3 #1s on a kid to sit him for two years or more. 

Had they won or he performed better I'd disagree. But they didn't and he didn't. He's done in SF.

• Like 1