Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

22 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

For real, I'm sure he's a fine bridge QB, but he's not a franchise guy and not something that's going to drum up a lot of excitement for a franchise that is desperately in need of some.

I know he doesn't bring buzz.  If it was him, I'd assume its a camp battle with Howell.  Howell hope would be the buzz.

Not sure though we have a new owner in place in time for FA. 

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

I’m not sure I follow.  Jimmy G is going to be significantly more expensive than Lance.  If anything, Purdy has shown that he’s a capable backup.

3 firsts for a guy and then dump him this quick? 

I can't see Lance or Wilson moved with that kind of cost, unless they've sucked at everything, including being a person, that quickly.

Zach may have.

8 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I have a LOT fewer places I hear things than you, but would it make sense to put Lance on the trading block? I don't know any of the ramifications, it's just something I heard. Stick with the guy who's good, lowest contract possible, Jimmy stays as a vet, trade out Lance.

Don't know about Lance, I gather it would depend on Purdy as to whether he keeps playing well.  Between his injury and not playing hot granted in a short sample, wonder what the market would be?

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Carr, Jones, Brisset in that order for me without thinking about cost and I'm not sure where Wentz fits into that, considering how he plays the next two and his contract next season.

None of these guys are solutions, just stop gaps. So take the one with the least amount of investment. Carr is better than Brissett, but Brissett should only cost something like a Fitzpatrick level deal free agent deal, while Carr likely costs more draft picks than Wentz did. How and why teams (and fans) continually trade good assets for old past their prime QBs is just puzzling to me. Not that I like the never wases either. The fact the Jets go so much for Sam Darold is similarly mystifying. Hope no one is as foolish on Zach Wilson. Basically, I would scan free agency and cap and trades at day 3 picks. And find the best you can. It's all dumpster diving at this point, so just don't waste too much on a complete long shot. Unless somehow you make a big move in the draft.

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m not sure I follow.  Jimmy G is going to be significantly more expensive than Lance.  If anything, Purdy has shown that he’s a capable backup.

What I heard was keep Jimmy and Purdy.  Purdy is youngest, cheapest, and in "the window."  Jimmy can stay just to stay or as trade bait.  Lance would also be trade bait.

The person was effectively saying that Jimmy is the 2, but Lance and Purdy have swapped.

I don't know, the more I type it the dumber it sounds, question withdrawn.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

What I heard was keep Jimmy and Purdy.  Purdy is youngest, cheapest, and in "the window."  Jimmy can stay just to stay or as trade bait.  Lance would also be trade bait.

The person was effectively saying that Jimmy is the 2, but Lance and Purdy have swapped.

I don't know, the more I type it the dumber it sounds, question withdrawn.

The thing with that is they’d have to spend a whole bunch to keep Jimmy as he’s a free agent.  We’re talking, conservatively, $25M for a back up when they already have a 1 and 2 both on rookie deals.

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'd guess 15 per

I thought that two 15 per season. I was reading today they are going to give him the non-exclusive tag which put him at 31 million or the team that signs him gives up two first rounders. That seems crazy for Jones.

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I thought that two 15 per. I was reading today they are going to give him the non-exclusive tag which put him at 31 million or the team that signs him gives up two first rounders. That seems crazy for Jones.

It does seem crazy. But they do have the cap space to take that on.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the Mayfield and Carr markets though.

24 minutes ago, Jericho said:

None of these guys are solutions, just stop gaps. So take the one with the least amount of investment. Carr is better than Brissett, but Brissett should only cost something like a Fitzpatrick level deal free agent deal, while Carr likely costs more draft picks than Wentz did. How and why teams (and fans) continually trade good assets for old past their prime QBs is just puzzling to me. Not that I like the never wases either. The fact the Jets go so much for Sam Darold is similarly mystifying. Hope no one is as foolish on Zach Wilson. Basically, I would scan free agency and cap and trades at day 3 picks. And find the best you can. It's all dumpster diving at this point, so just don't waste too much on a complete long shot. Unless somehow you make a big move in the draft.

You want to throw next year away already?

Looking at next year's vet option the guys we could most likely get are

Wentz 

Tanahill 

Carr

Depending on the next two games we may just be better off running it back with Wentz at a reduced rate and improving the oline and defense. Carr a good thought but the cost to trade for him and contract may make it to difficult. Tanahill is probably not that much better then Wentz. Maybe give Wentz that second year with less pay better talent. Depending how the last two games go.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Looking at next year's vet option the guys we could most likely get are

Wentz 

Tanahill 

Carr

Depending on the next two games we may just be better off running it back with Wentz at a reduced rate and improving the oline and defense. Carr a good thought but the cost to trade for him and contract may make it to difficult. Tanahill is probably not that much better then Wentz. Maybe give Wentz that second year with less pay better talent. Depending how the last two games go.

will he agree to a reduced rate? How much would him being asked to take a paycut mess with his head?

As a Heinicke supporter, if somehow Wentz plays well and gets us in the playoffs and even gets us a playoff win you have to bring him back but restructure his deal so we can resign Payne. Watching Wentz against the 49ers it seems like he knows the playbook now. He didn't hold the ball to long and made quick throws and made quick decisions that was mostly on target. 

5 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Heard on the radio that Carr is leaving the team “so he won’t be a distraction.”  He won’t even be on the sidelines.

If he ends up getting cut, it’s a totally different situation as they won’t have to give up assets to get him.

So he’s a quitter 

12 minutes ago, Tundra scout said:

So he’s a quitter 

I don’t know.  I think it’s different than the Mariota situation.  The Raiders don’t want to be on the hook for injury.  They .  weren’t going to dress him.  Probably don’t want to risk him taking a rep in practice or twist an ankle in the parking lot. From what’s been reported so far, I think the quitter label is unfair.

• Like 2