Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I have to agree about Fields in the big game not being there. 

I meant Herbert. There are a lot of games that Herbert and the Chargers lost that they should have won. Herbert has Keenan Allen, Eckler, etc and still IMO he shrinks too often. 

Losing to the Patriots this season 6-0?

We're going into his 5th season and the Chargers have been to the postseason once and still have never won a playoff game. He has a lot of help on offense, this isn't some situation where he hasn't had weapons. I will admit he had a meh defense but no QB's situation is perfect. If Harbaugh doesn't get them past the hump I don't think we question if he's good but if he'll ever be anything better than good. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I meant Herbert. There are a lot of games that Herbert and the Chargers lost that they should have won. Herbert has Keenan Allen, Eckler, etc and still IMO he shrinks too often. 

We're going into this 5th season and the Chargers have been to the postseason once and still have never won a playoff game. If Harbaugh doesn't get them past the hump I don't think we question if he's good but if he'll ever be anything better than good. 

Harbaugh has been gushing over Herbert, I’m yet to be convinced how truthful that is.  We all know which QB he loves.

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Harbaugh has been gushing over Herbert, I’m yet to be convinced how truthful that is.  We all know which QB he loves.

There was no reason for him to take that job if he wasn’t high on Herbert. That was always the main draw of the LAC job (and apparently was the only team Ben Johnson actually would have left for). 

But then to go out and hire Greg Roman? That was an idiotic move IMO, and I think it will hold the Chargers back from actually accomplishing anything meaningful until they get a real modern-day OC. 

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

We're going into his 5th season and the Chargers have been to the postseason once and still have never won a playoff game. He has a lot of help on offense, this isn't some situation where he hasn't had weapons. I will admit he had a meh defense but no QB's situation is perfect. If Harbaugh doesn't get them past the hump I don't think we question if he's good but if he'll ever be anything better than good. 

I got to put alot of that on the franchise.  You are right though, from here on out now that they have Harbaugh, Herbert has to step up.

Edited by Redskins 2021

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Um, you're not suggesting he wants to jettison Herbert and draft JJ McCarthy are you?

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

There was no reason for him to take that job if he wasn’t high on Herbert. That was always the main draw of the LAC job (and apparently was the only team Ben Johnson actually would have left for). 

But then to go out and hire Greg Roman? That was an idiotic move IMO, and I think it will hold the Chargers back from actually accomplishing anything meaningful until they get a real modern-day OC. 

The Greg Roman hire wasn't that surprising to me. Harbaugh is more of an old school pound the rock, stingy defense coach, so hiring an older school OC is sort of par for the course. I personally think the Harbaugh experiment in LA will be a giant L.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I didn't understand the Roman hire either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The Greg Roman hire wasn't that surprising to me. Harbaugh is more of an old school pound the rock, stingy defense coach, so hiring an older school OC is sort of par for the course. I personally think the Harbaugh experiment in LA will be a giant L.

Yeah, I’m not sure if he still thinks he has Kaepernick at QB. 

Anyway, it’ll be super interesting to see what they do with the high-end defensive talent they have considering they’re $46mm OVER the cap, and some of those guys need to get paid soon. I think they’ll need to rely on Herbert’s arm more than Harbaugh wants to, at least for a while. 

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Um, you're not suggesting he wants to jettison Herbert and draft JJ McCarthy are you?

No idea what he’s going to do. I think he said he was QB1 and the best player in the draft though didn’t he ? Something like that anyway. 

Im sure you know what he’s going to do, so you tell me 😂

59 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Pre-combine rumors are that Thomas is a 1st rounder on a lot of boards. I think people are a bit skittish about the WR's in his tier, various issues here and there in the profile, and Thomas, if he tests well athletically, just looks like a traditional, very productive guy with all the boxes checked. He was actually a bigger recruit get than Nabers in his class. 

Thomas is one of my favorite players on the draft thread, I've talked about him plenty of times, I am high on him.  I agree i expect him to go in the first.

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

No idea what he’s going to do. I think he said he was QB1 and the best player in the draft though didn’t he ? Something like that anyway. 

Im sure you know what he’s going to do, so you tell me 😂

I don't know what he's going to do but going to a NFL team that has a young top 10 QB and then getting rid of him so you can draft your old college QB who's certainly not a consensus top prospect would be utterly loony. Not to mention that same QB just signed a 5 year $260 million extension last year. Do you really think the owner would sign off on that move?

As far as what Harbaugh said about McCarthy, can you find me a quote of a college coach who, when asked about his QB in the draft, said anything negative? What did you expect him to say, "Well, he's ok. Maybe a middle of the road NFL QB but not special"?

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think Herbert will excel in that offense. Plus he will be at far less risk physically than he has been the past few years. 

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Harbaugh's draft room coaching staff

C-k3Fq_XcAACK46.jpg

• Haha 1

Just now, mistertim said:

I don't know what he's going to do but going to a NFL team that has a young top 10 QB and then getting rid of him so you can draft your old college QB who's certainly not a consensus top prospect would be utterly loony. Not to mention that same QB just signed a 5 year $260 million extension last year. Do you really think the owner would sign off on that move?

As far as what Harbaugh said about McCarthy, can you find me a quote of a college coach who, when asked about his QB in the draft, said anything negative? What did you expect him to say, "Well, he's ok. Maybe a middle of the road NFL QB but not special"?

Honestly, I’m not bothered what Harbaugh thinks really, he’s a bit of a prick. However, he did hype JJ more than I’ve seen most coaches do before. Anyway, that’s off topic, ish.

All good, let’s see how our own QB search turns out, good debate all the same :cheers:

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah that aren’t keeping  both, can’t see Fields really playing ball with that one.

16 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That would be a TERRIBLE decision. The first time Caleb threw an INT or fumbled everyone would be clamoring for Fields and vice versa. That fanbase is already VERY SPLIT on whether to draft someone. If they do take Williams, they absolutely have to cut ties with Fields. If I were to guess right now:

Tannehill - Steelers

Wilson - Panthers

Cousins - Vikings (or possibly Falcons)

Fields - Raiders (if they can't trade up), Saints or Seahawks

It doesn't make sense for a team that has a top 10 pick to trade for Fields when they can just draft a QB. You would have to pay Fields next year, just take the rookie contract. Also it will take so much time trying to get Justin Fields to unlearn all his bad habits.

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

When Jayden Daniels goes to the combine and have his pro day, he will easily be the #2 QB in the draft. I get that some here have ptsd from the Rg3 era, but Daniels is an different animal. His work ethic, studying film 5:00 am every morning while going to class and always strives to be better is why I want him as our QB. Me personally he has the best deep ball in this draft. He can score at any given play. With the hiring of Kingsbury and Johnson, I believe they will go with Daniels at #2. It will be too much to give up and get Williams.

• Thumb down 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah that aren’t keeping  both, can’t see Fields really playing ball with that one.

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

That would be a TERRIBLE decision. The first time Caleb threw an INT or fumbled everyone would be clamoring for Fields and vice versa. That fanbase is already VERY SPLIT on whether to draft someone. If they do take Williams, they absolutely have to cut ties with Fields. If I were to guess right now:

Steelers - Tannehill

Panthers - Wilson

Cousins - Vikings (or possibly Falcons)

Fields - Raiders (if they can't trade up), Saints or Seahawks

It doesn't make sense for anyone who has a top 10 pick to trade for Fields when they can just draft a QB and would have to pay Fields next year

Fully agree. Just thought it was interesting for that chatter to even make it out there as a report/rumor. 

And it emphasizes that we’re going to hear reports about every scenario under the sun, at least until the combine wraps up and we start hearing of deals being announced before free agency kicks off. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I remember when Pete Carrol was bashing Mark Sanchez when he declared for the NFL draft. Saying he wasn't ready and needs another year of college ball.

1 minute ago, HogsVa7 said:

When Jayden Daniels goes to the combine and have his pro day, he will easily be the #2 QB in the draft. I get that some here have ptsd from the Rg3 era, but Daniels is a different animal. His work ethic, studying film 5:00 am every morning while going to class and always strives to be better is why I want him as our QB. Me personally he has the best deep ball in this draft. He can score at any given play. With the hiring of Kingsbury and Johnson, I believe they will go with Daniels at #2. It will be too much to give up and get Williams.

I agree, Daniels ends up #2 and that’s the call for us if we are still sat at that slot.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 3

3 minutes ago, HogsVa7 said:

When Jayden Daniels goes to the combine and have his pro day, he will easily be the #2 QB in the draft. I get that some here have ptsd from the Rg3 era, but Daniels is an different animal. His work ethic, studying film 5:00 am every morning while going to class and always strives to be better is why I want him as our QB. Me personally he has the best deep ball in this draft. He can score at any given play. With the hiring of Kingsbury and Johnson, I believe they will go with Daniels at #2. It will be too much to give up and get Williams.

Are we gonna get his receivers and OL too?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

What does that mean ? Would be good to know what your are getting at with that ?

He was throwing to two 1st round WRs who made the DBs covering them look stupid on a routine basis and he had one of the better OLs in college football that usually gave him lots of time to throw.

• Like 1