Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

For some reason I cannot shake the notion Chicago does not 100% no brainer draft Caleb, or shouldn't. Maybe not winning the tHeismann, Chicago having Fields, his height which I will keep pointing out is a thing to not dismiss, playing in the cold outdoors....

Speaking of Heismans long time fans may remember JoeT at 6'0 started having balls batted down more and more as defenders grew and he didn't. Sure Caleb moves and throws around the towers but I think that drives some OC bonkers.

QB mobility seems to be common place now among prospects so the fact Caleb is a magician on his feet does not make him quite as unique as in the past, and does not equate to NFL greatness. It does equate to his OC having to embrace that trait, or teach him to throw structured timed plays from the pocket where his height comes into play. His OC will play a major role in his future; its more than just HIS talent.

He is consensus sure but they are wrong often enough now for me to be hesitant to buy in.

If the Bears eff this up they should fold as a franchise 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a bit of a tangent, but one of the reasons I think it’s very unlikely the Bears draft Maye over Williams is the risk their fanbase would riot if it’s perceived they made the Trubisky over Mahomes selection all over again. They still haven’t lived that down, and probably never will. 

That’s not to say I view Maye similar to Trubisky in any way, but many lazy fans and national analysts will make the easy connection (UNC QBs) in hindsight if they draft Maye and he struggles out of the gate while Williams balls out. 

I’m already seeing chatter about fears of this from many Bears fans on social media / forums, and think it would become a storm if that actually happened (which it won’t).

• Like 2

So we saw the Bears bring in Caleb's OC from USC to get more information on Caleb and now the Falcons and Raiders bringing in Daniels OC/QB Coach from LSU to get more information. Teams definitely starting to do their due diligence on the QBs

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah people have this misconception that Maye is a boring low upside low ceiling pick. He has a high floor but ALSO has a superstar high ceiling. We arent talking about some Kenny Pickett level prospect here. 

You know I was very high on Pickett as a prospect. Especially in that draft. Which was a horrid draft for QB's. Maye is in an entirely different league as far as prospects go. Pickett wouldnt even be a 2nd rounder in this draft imo. This draft is so stacked at the QB position that as much as I liked Pickett, he would be my QB 7 in this draft. Way different beast we are talking about this year. 

25 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

So we saw the Bears bring in Caleb's OC from USC to get more information on Caleb and now the Falcons and Raiders bringing in Daniels OC/QB Coach from LSU to get more information. Teams definitely starting to do their due diligence on the QBs

Not saying we should/shouldn’t accept an offer, but a team is going to offer us a ton of picks for our #2 pick.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is a bit of a tangent, but one of the reasons I think it’s very unlikely the Bears draft Maye over Williams is the risk their fanbase would riot if it’s perceived they made the Trubisky over Mahomes selection all over again. They still haven’t lived that down, and probably never will. 

That’s not to say I view Maye similar to Trubisky in any way, but many lazy fans and national analysts will make the easy connection (UNC QBs) in hindsight if they draft Maye and he struggles out of the gate while Williams balls out. 

I’m already seeing chatter about fears of this from many Bears fans on social media / forums, and think it would become a storm if that actually happened (which it won’t).

The reverse could also happen where Maye balls out and Caleb struggles or both could stuggle or both be great. Throw in Daniels into the equation and even a Bears fan should realize that this is as much of a crapshoot as going to Vegas. Hind sight is always 20/20. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Not saying we should/shouldn’t accept an offer, but a team is going to offer us a ton of picks for our #2 pick.

I feel like the 3 teams most likely to try to trade up are:

Falcons (8th pick)

Vikings (11th pick)

Raiders (13th pick)

2 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

The reverse could also happen where Maye balls out and Caleb struggles or both could stuggle or both be great. Throw in Daniels into the equation and even a Bears fan should realize that this is as much of a crapshoot as going to Vegas. Hind sight is always 20/20. 

If Maye comes here its very likely that both Williams and Daniels are better than him and have better records starting out. We are picking 2nd for a reason. The team stinks and has holes all around. The only reason the Bears are picking first is because the Panthers stunk even worse than we did. The Bears have a good defense, a true #1 in DJ Moore, etc. They won 7 games this year so with slightly better QB play I could see them winning 9 or 10 games easily with Williams.

With Daniels it depends on where he ends up. The Patriots are almost as terrible as we are and have no pieces so that would likely be a mess for him but anyone trading up like the Falcons or the Raiders with the pieces they have in place would be an instant playoff contender with slightly improved QB play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Is that a thing? I seriously don't know. I mean Rams and Bucks, Buffalo run into each other head on. Lions fight to lead the pride. 

There are hundreds of species that would seem like a more obvious choice, but Quail? It's like a 1/4 chicken.

Mares eat oats and does eat oats.  And little lambs eat ivy.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I feel like the 3 teams most likely to try to trade up are:

Falcons (8th pick)

Vikings (11th pick)

Raiders (13th pick)

If Maye comes here its very likely that both Williams and Daniels are better than him and have better records starting out. We are picking 2nd for a reason. The team stinks and has holes all around. The only reason the Bears are picking first is because the Panthers stunk even worse than we did. The Bears have a good defense, a true #1 in DJ Moore, etc. They won 7 games this year so with slightly better QB play I could see them winning 9 or 10 games easily with Williams.

With Daniels it depends on where he ends up. The Patriots are almost as terrible as we are and have no pieces so that would likely be a mess for him but anyone trading up like the Falcons or the Raiders with the pieces they have in place would be an instant playoff contender with slightly improved QB play. 

That is definitely possible and an educated guess but we can see that the Texans were a success this year despite all predictions to the contrary. My stab in the dark is that I think we will all be pleasantly surprised with the team next year for the simple reason of a competent coaching staff and FO as well as the resources to address needs. Lets face it, Ron lost his team and it showed. FWIW we were considered a talented team at the beggining of the season save for O line and Linebacker question marks.  

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The Bears had possibly the best draft of all time with Sayers and Butkus in 1965, but they've seemingly struggled in the draft ever since.

7 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

The Bears had possibly the best draft of all time with Sayers and Butkus in 1965, but they've seemingly struggled in the draft ever since.

Reminds me of ours back in 2000.  Lavar and Samuels.  

11 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

That is definitely possible and an educated guess but we can see that the Texans were a success this year despite all predictions to the contrary. My stab in the dark is that I think we will all be pleasantly surprised with the team next year for the simple reason of a competent coaching staff and FO as well as the resources to address needs. Lets face it, Ron lost his team and it showed. FWIW we were considered a talented team at the beggining of the season save for O line and Linebacker question marks.  

I mean, I don't like looking at outliers and thinking we could do that. CJ Stroud IMO was a better prospect than any of the QBs in this draft and the reason the Texans run was talked about so much was because it hadn't been done before with a rookie QB and coach. I don't think it can easily happen again. 

I am just being honest about this roster: 

• The offensive line is terrible (aside from Cosmi)
  • We don't have a #1 receiver or a receiver taller than 6'
  • We don't have an above average tight end
  • We don't have a homerun RB with speed
  • We don't have any good linebackers 
  • Our defensive line is poor
  • We need serious upgrades to the DB room
  • We are likely going to lose one of our most consistent players on offense from this season (Samuels)
  • We are likely going to lose our best player in the secondary (Curl)

The draft and FA will help some of that but not every draft pick or FA acquisition will work out either

Edited by ThatNFLChick

Johnson is going Drake.  UNC QB rated no lower than #6 overall by ALL mock legit mock drafts.  Why even think about anyone else unless Da Bears trade the pick. Seems like they are going Williams all the way and Johnson sees Drake only as his guy.  

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I dont get why people propose these ludicrous trade offers that no team would ever make. Im fine with thinking about trading but at least be realistic and in the realm of logic and reason.

What part of that would be unrealistic? I think its pretty rich to say it beyound the realm of logic and reason. I am not proposing it is probable but we traded three 1st rounders for RG3 as one example. I was just putting out an example of what offer may move us from our 2 spot. Kyler has a contract to consider in the compensation as well.

• Like 1

Gut tells me it won't be Maye. And it will be a pretty strong consensus once the league really breaks down the tape, talks with coaches. The blogger boys and guys on twitter have been higher on Maye than people who actually watch the game.  I saw Maye up close against Duke last year -- he was good and so was Riley Leonard -- but I think Daniels will the consensus number 2 after the teams really dig in.

But hell, anything could happen. Maybe our new coach falls in love with Nix or McCarthy and we trade back, picking up a first and more. Projecting QBS is so damn hard. Plenty of guys who have gone mid to late first in recent years have panned out just fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Number 44 said:

This phrase made me chuckle.  🙂

Yeah, I can see it but if you look at ALL of the mocks, Walterfootball has an excellent mock draft database and there are some real home-grown mock draft sites out there. LOL

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

Gut tells me it won't be Maye. And it will be a pretty strong consensus once the league really breaks down the tape, talks with coaches. The blogger boys and guys on twitter have been higher on Maye than people who actually watch the game.  I saw Maye up close against Duke last year -- he was good and so was Riley Leonard -- but I think Daniels will the consensus number 2 after the teams really dig in.

But hell, anything could happen. Maybe our new coach falls in love with Nix or McCarthy and we trade back, picking up a first and more. Projecting QBS is so damn hard. Plenty of guys who have gone mid to late first in recent years have panned out just fine. 

I wouldn't be shocked, Hooper but I respectfully disagree. :)  

9 hours ago, HeHateMe75 said:

I like Maye, seems like he would be a good fit in a Ben Johnson system.

The UNC offense is very different than Ben Johnson's offense. As is LSU's.

Michigan's offense -- lots of PA and under center -- has way more similarities. 

Of course, a good coach adapts to his players.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I mean, I don't like looking at outliers and thinking we could do that. CJ Stroud IMO was a better prospect than any of the QBs in this draft and the reason the Texans run was talked about so much was because it hadn't been done before with a rookie QB and coach. I don't think it can easily happen again. 

I am just being honest about this roster: 

• The offensive line is terrible (aside from Cosmi)
  • We don't have a #1 receiver or a receiver taller than 6'
  • We don't have an above average tight end
  • We don't have a homerun RB with speed
  • We don't have any good linebackers 
  • Our defensive line is poor
  • We need serious upgrades to the DB room
  • We are likely going to lose one of our most consistent players on offense from this season (Samuels)
  • We are likely going to lose our best player in the secondary (Curl)

The draft and FA will help some of that but not every draft pick or FA acquisition will work out either

True. Nothing to dispute there when judging the current roster from an end of season perspective. But we should at least consider that it was coached by a clown that lost his locker room. The so called talent that many touted at the beginning of the season is not completely washed out IMO. I would dispute that Terry is not a #1 reciever, our D line is poor and that BRob can't hit the home run but that is semantics at this point.