Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Rich Milot

Dissident2

Gutted to just learn of this news and surprised it hasn't (apparently) been posted yet. Former Redskin GREAT Rich Milot apparently passed away last week. He represented everything that was great about that era of the team. Blue collar, unsung, did his job incredibly well year in and year out ... such a likable guy and inspirational player that I was proud to have on "my" team. 

Edited by Dissident2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 7

I wonder if my Nona knows about this yet. Probably. I never met him but we drafted him the year I accidentally because a Skins fan and I'm related to him. Distantly. 

We've been to a couple family reunions with hundreds of Slovacs, Pollacks, and Tyrolians. Lots of beer.

• Like 1

Terrible news.  Prayers to Rich's family.

My Rich Milot story.  The winter after the Skins won Super Bowl 17, some of the players did a regional basketball game tour for charity.  Rich was on that team.  I was a senior in high school at the time and the Redskins team came to a local gymnasium.  As luck would have it, the wife of one of the organizers of the local game was my math teacher and knew I was a huge fan so she arranged for me to be a ballboy for the Redskins team.  I got to sit on the bench with the team, retrieve their basketballs during shootaround, etc.  Was a blast for teenager like myself.  Anyway, Rich was a quiet guy but after the game we were allowed in the locker room with the team and he spent some time talking to me, asking about my future plans, college, etc.  Nice guy.  Gone too soon.  RIP Rich.

• Like 4

Memory is a fickle thing, but I remember the 1983 home game versus the Cardinals and how the screen (what were those old light bulb displays called again) would light up with whoever made the tackle or recovered the fumble.  As I recall, Milot's name was a constant on that board but since tackles are unofficial stats, I can't find any trace of that box score with tackles or anything else.  Skins won 45-7.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Memory is a fickle thing, but I remember the 1983 home game versus the Cardinals and how the screen (what were those old light bulb displays called again) would light up with whoever made the tackle or recovered the fumble.  As I recall, Milot's name was a constant on that board but since tackles are unofficial stats, I can't find any trace of that box score with tackles or anything else.  Skins won 45-7.

I found this one:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198311060was.htm

I can only guess that tackles weren't recorded then.

He is credited with half a sack in that game.

RIP Rich Milot.

Edited by SkinsGuy

Yeah, SkinsGuy, I saw that but I did notice that Cardinals had 4 fumbles lost, yet no Skins are credited with Fumbles Recovered. I have a distinct memory that Milot was in on a forced fumble and/or fumble recovery, as well as over ten tackles and that half-sack.

I was a kid but I'm feeling a bit old that Milot is dead and I'm reflecting on a game from 1983. 

Great game (for the Skins.)

Edited by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:43 AM, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

good to see ya nick---your memory serves you well and mine still works pretty good :806:

the way i think of rich milot is a tall cold glass of 'football classic'

he was a hitter, an old school gridiron warrior, and a great locker room asset

RIP Rich, and thank you for all you added to our glory years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Dissident2 for bringing this to our attention.

Rich Milot is definitely part of my memory of the glory years. He was one of the glue, high effort, blue collar guys that Redskins fans knew and loved. Guys like him Neil Olkewicz, Jeff Bostic, and so many unheralded players were key to those great teams. They were guys who would not impress at a combine, but always got the job done.

Sorry to hear of his passing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

good to see ya nick---your memory serves you well and mine still works pretty good :806:

the way i think of rich milot is a tall cold glass of 'football classic'

he was a hitter, an old school gridiron warrior, and a great locker room asset

RIP Rich, and thank you for all you added to our glory years

I can't think of Milot, without thinking of the whole classic LB trio :

Milot, Olkewicz, Coleman

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1