Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: 2021 SUPERBOWL - RAMS VS. BENGALS!!!

zCommander

4 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

The raiders lined up with 38 secs with 3 ish on the play clock.  If they run up the middle which they were set to do with the running back next to him in the shot gun they would not even get back to the line and they would let the clock run as it would be 60 yard FG.  As I said the LV took the fact that LA wasn’t using timeouts as they were good with a tie.  If you look after the game a Raider covers his mouth as he tells a Charger who visibly reacts like someone just broke bad news to him.  

I mean, maybe.  If the Raiders took it that way, they took it that way. But they didn't really change anything they were doing.  

But the Raiders still ran on the play after the TO.  If I remember correctly, it was just an off-guard power-run.  Nothing fancy.  Here is the play sequence: My comments in BOLD.

1st & 10 at LV 42

(3:53 - OT) J.Jacobs up the middle to LV 49 for 7 yards (D.James).

2nd & 3 at LV 49

(3:09 - OT) (Shotgun) D.Carr pass short right to J.Richard to LV 44 for -5 yards (D.James) [K.White].

3rd & 8 at LV 44

(2:22 - OT) (Shotgun) D.Carr pass short left to Z.Jones pushed ob at LAC 45 for 11 yards (A.Samuel).  ** This was the last pass of the game, and came before the 2 minute warning. This was the outstanding pass to the left sideline which was thrown on a rope into a really tight window.  They had to convert this 3rd down or else they're punting back to the Chargers at the 2 minute warning, and the Chargers could go down and get a FG to win.  This conversion essentially guaranteed the Raiders a playoff spot.  Either through a win or a tie.  

(2:00 - OT) Two-Minute Warning

1st & 10 at LAC 45

(2:00 - OT) J.Jacobs left guard to LAC 46 for -1 yards (L.Joseph).

2nd & 11 at LAC 46

(1:20 - OT) (Shotgun) J.Jacobs left tackle to LAC 39 for 7 yards (K.Murray, K.White). ** This is the play BEFORE the TO.  It was a run for 7 yards.  Notice the play started at 1:20 left in OT. 

(0:38 - OT) Timeout #1 by LAC at 00:38. ** This is the TO.  42 seconds have run off the clock since the last play was started.  The Chargers are not trying to use their TOs to save time.  They used it because they had a defensive issue and needed to get set.  

3rd & 4 at LAC 39

(0:38 - OT) J.Jacobs left guard to LAC 29 for 10 yards (J.Jones). ** This is the play AFTER the TO.  It's a 10 yard run.  Not a pass. They were going to run before the TO, they ran after the TO.  All the Chargers had to do was stop this 10 yard run, and the game ends in a TIE. Because it would be 4th down with ~30 seconds left.  Unless somebody uses a TO, the game just ends on this play. Or the Raiders attempt a 50+ yard FG.  Which I doubt they would do.  

(0:02 - OT) Timeout #1 by LV at 00:02. ** Now the Raiders do use a TO because they have a legitimate shot at winning the game, which knocks their division rival out of the playoffs.  

1st & 10 at LAC 29

(0:00 - OT) Daniel Carlson 47 Yd Field Goal

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So they were prepared to stop the Raiders from gaining a bunch of yards to make for an easy FG (which they did anyway, but he was obviously trying to get his defense in better position). That's why you call TO with 3 seconds on the play clock, not to save 2 seconds of game time. 

“We needed to get in the right grouping,” Staley said. “We felt like they were going to run the ball, so we wanted to get our best 11 personnel run defense in, make that substitution so we could get a play where we would deepen the field goal.”

Now, before you ask me any more silly questions, try actually answering what I keep asking- how did the extra 2 seconds of game time before the 3rd down play make any difference? I asked that and then you told me why they didn't call the TO with over a minute left. So, actually answer what I asked. 

It was the difference between the Raiders snapping the ball on 3rd down with 38 seconds left or 36 seconds left. Assume the 3rd down run was going to take about 7 seconds. That means, the Raiders (if LA stopped them) would have had a 4th down with either 31 seconds left or 29 seconds left. How does that change what they are going to do. Don't just tell me I just don't understand or say "it's not complicated". Explain it. 

If it's 4th down, unless the Chargers knew the Raiders weren't going to attempt a last second FG, the right play by the Chargers is to call timeout again and force the Raiders to either attempt a 57 yard fg with 29 seconds left or punt. It's a risky decision for the Raiders to attempt a long FG with 30 seconds left cause if they miss, the Chargers aren't far from FG range if they want to knock the Raiders out. If the Raiders punt on this hypothetical 4th down, Chargers take a knee and both teams make it. 

One of the worst aspects of this game is the idea that they could play for a tie and both make the playoffs. I hope the NFL switches to college playoff rules and not settle for ties. 

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

If it's 4th down, unless the Chargers knew the Raiders weren't going to attempt a last second FG, the right play by the Chargers is to call timeout again and force the Raiders to either attempt a 57 yard fg with 29 seconds left or punt.

But it was before the 3rd down play when they called the TO.  

The chargers had just given up a 7 yard run.  Then they were letting the clock bleed all the way down before their next play, 3rd and 4 with ~34 seconds left in OT.

THEN the chargers called TO. so the next play to be run was a 3rd down and 4 with 38 seconds remaining.

The Raiders still ran the ball off Left Guard and got 10 yards.

After that it’s 1st down again.  The raiders bled the clock down to 2 seconds and kicked the FG.

There was no 4th down in the series because the Raiders picked up 10 yards on 3rd and 4.

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I havn't looked at all the details, but at a quick glance, doesn't some of the responsibility lie with the Chargers DC, and not just the HC, for not having the right personnel and scheme on the field at that time ?

The Chargers gave up a 7 yard run on 2nd and 11 (-1 yard run on the first play after the 2 min warning to set up 2nd and 11.)

And then a 10 yard run on 3rd and 4.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But it was before the 3rd down play when they called the TO.  

The chargers had just given up a 7 yard run.  Then they were letting the clock bleed all the way down before their next play, 3rd and 4 with ~34 seconds left in OT.

THEN the chargers called TO. so the next play to be run was a 3rd down and 4 with 38 seconds remaining.

The Raiders still ran the ball off Left Guard and got 10 yards.

After that it’s 1st down again.  The raiders bled the clock down to 2 seconds and kicked the FG.

There was no 4th down in the series because the Raiders picked up 10 yards on 3rd and 4.

I know. We are talking hypothetical strategy by the Chargers. Once the Raiders got the first down, the Chargers were ****ed and the second TO didn't matter. The Raiders played it perfectly. 

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

If it's 4th down, unless the Chargers knew the Raiders weren't going to attempt a last second FG, the right play by the Chargers is to call timeout again and force the Raiders to either attempt a 57 yard fg with 29 seconds left or punt. It's a risky decision for the Raiders to attempt a long FG with 30 seconds left cause if they miss, the Chargers aren't far from FG range if they want to knock the Raiders out. If the Raiders punt on this hypothetical 4th down, Chargers take a knee and both teams make it. 

One of the worst aspects of this game is the idea that they could play for a tie and both make the playoffs. I hope the NFL switches to college playoff rules and not settle for ties. 

Nope. You're still not answering my question. The question is about the timeout we've been discussing. The one before the 3rd down play. The one that changed the final clock by two seconds. And you still haven't given an explanation of the effect that supposedly had. The difference (after the 3rd down play, hypothetically setting up 4th down for LV) was not between 31 seconds and 1 second, it's between 31 seconds and 29. Explain why that difference mattered. 

3 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Nope. You're still not answering my question. The question is about the timeout we've been discussing. The one before the 3rd down play. The one that changed the final clock by two seconds. And you still haven't given an explanation of the effect that supposedly had. The difference (after the 3rd down play, hypothetically setting up 4th down for LV) was not between 31 seconds and 1 second, it's between 31 seconds and 29. Explain why that difference mattered. 

if you mean why didn’t they call timeout with a minute left instead, maybe that would’ve led to the Raiders to throw the ball down the field. If that’s what you are asking cause at this point I don’t know and don’t much care. Let me

know if you really want to keep this going. 

Just now, Hersh said:

if you mean why didn’t they call timeout with a minute left instead, maybe that would’ve led to the Raiders to throw the ball down the field. If that’s what you are asking cause at this point I don’t know and don’t much care. Let me

know if you really want to keep this going. 

No, I don't really want to "keep this going" because it started with you making a nonsensical statement and then, whenever asked about it, answering with a misdirectional comment that doesn't in any way address what you're being asked or what your point supposedly was. 

Just a reminder- this started with you praising Staley calling the TO before 3rd down, because that would somehow make it so the Raiders wouldn't be able to kick a FG at the gun after the next play. That TO, of course, did no such thing and only saved about 2 seconds with 38 seconds still left in the game. And all you've done since is to tell us why they didn't call TO earlier or how they would have called another after the 3rd down play, neither of which have anything to do with what you said or what I (or VOR) have asked.

(Of course, sprinkled in with comments such as how I "just don't get" whatever point you've proven incapable of making.)

At. this point, it's pretty clear you just made a dumb point in the first place and are doing everything you can to distract from that as you refuse to answer anything related to what you said int he first place. 

• zCommander changed the title to Game Day Thread: 2021 Wild Card Weekend!

both the raiders and the bengals have great stories this year and players/coaches i like but i'm pulling for the bengals

carr and the org at large 'deserves' to get any love from the football gods he/they can get,  but still, i want to see cincy fans get their win even more and i want to see burrow make a serious statement this year of who he is by leading his team through this first round at minimum...so far since he's arrived i've been a fan of joe's game all the way around

• Like 1

Let's go Samaje. I feel justified seeing him working as a 3rd down/cuff back in the playoffs as I always thought he had good hands.

Few fumbles aside and dumbass Gruden having him do FB dives looking like a donk, I think I was about his only fan here. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

.....why wasn’t that a safety? Carr was taken down in the end zone. 

They marked forward progress at the 1.

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

yup, i think we're seeing early signs of one cool fairy tale having to face reality wall and also the increasing likelihood that carr may be available to us next seaosn after all :D

I mean sure but hey really would be insane to trade him.  He’s a top 15 QB under contract for something like $19M.

• Thumb up 1