Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Football 2021

The Evil Genius

Its hard to understand why Texas wants to do this.  Right now they are the dominant voice in the Big12, in the SEC they'll be an equal, at best, among their peers.  They won't get any more money because they'll have to get rid of their network and join the SEC network, and they don't win that much in the Big12, they'll get crushed regularly in the SEC.  

My guess is that the Big12 will dissolve in 2025, there will be 4 super conferences that split off somehow from the NCAA, and WVU ends up in the ACC.  

BTW, WVU just unveiled its new football facility, it's NICE.

36 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Join the B1G and see how many wins you end up with....😁

WVU would jump for that opportunity but being a land grant institution and the academics that come with that will keep that from ever happening. 

I think they'd be very competitive though in both football and basketball. They could at least win more than 9 games total in less than 6 years. 😁

Edited by The Evil Genius

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

WVU would jump for that opportunity but being a land grant institution and the academics that come with that will keep that from ever happening. 

I think they'd be very competitive though in both football and basketball. They could at least win more than 9 games total in less than 6 years. 😁

What does being a land grant university have to do with it?  Michigan State is a land grant university, in fact they were one of the pioneer land grant universities.

1 minute ago, China said:

What does being a land grant university have to do with it?  Michigan State is a land grant university, in fact they were one of the pioneer land grant universities.

Depending on the requirements of the grant (from my limited understanding), WVU has to accept basically almost anyone from within the state applying to it (the minimums are ridiculous). The effect of that is rhat it diminishes the academic prestige of the university because of the lower graduation rates, lower test scores, etc. 

Again, that's my limited understanding of it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Depending on the requirements of the grant (from my limited understanding), WVU has to accept basically almost anyone from within the state applying to it (the minimums are ridiculous). The effect of that is rhat it diminishes the academic prestige of the university because of the lower graduation rates, lower test scores, etc. 

There are other ways to show academic prestige.  For example WVU is considered one of the best universities for Rhodes Scholars.

• Like 1

I should add. I strongly suspect the secondary education system in Michigan is a lot better than in WV. So promoting MSU to Michiganders probably has better results (academic metrics wise) than WVU promoting itself to West Virginians. 🙂

3 minutes ago, China said:

There are other ways to show academic prestige.  For example WVU is considered one of the best universities for Rhodes Scholars.

The law, polisci, and medical programs at WVU are well thought of as well (ot at least they used to be). But the academics part has always been used as the excuse as to what is keeping WVU out of the B1G or ACC. 

I suspect the AAC will sadly be the fall back for them should the B12 dissolve and no invite from the ACC comes. 

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

You have to have a 3.0 GPA. 

Academics have been an excuse, nobody driving realignment actually gives a **** about academics (or the well-being of student athletes). It’s about money.  Nothing else. 

31 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You have to have a 3.0 GPA. 

Academics have been an excuse, nobody driving realignment actually gives a **** about academics (or the well-being of student athletes). It’s about money.  Nothing else. 

Did that change? I thought in-state used to be 2.0...

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Texas is a far better fit for the ACC than for the SEC.  They're about to become a basketball school...

Fit in terms of culture and profit? SEC all the way.

Now if you're referring to competiveness? Yeah, ACC is the route to go....but you know Texas doesn't view themselves as an inferior program.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

26 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Fit in terms of culture and profit? SEC all the way.

Now if you're referring to competiveness? Yeah, ACC is the route to go....but you know Texas doesn't view themselves as an inferior program.

I was thinking that they're a better fit in terms of academics and culture and competitiveness in basketball and the spring sports, in addition to no longer being a premier football program.  They could honestly compete for ACC championships in pretty much every sport, while in the SEC they might clean up in certain sports, but they'd just be a mid-tier program in football.

I actually don't think Austin is an SEC city, and that campus isn't a typical SEC campus IMO.  To me they're way more cultured than that.

But it's a done deal.  What I'm curious about is what happens to Kansas and Baylor?  WVU makes a lot of sense for the ACC, do Kansas and Baylor?