Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

I think Burks is extremely underrated, extremely.  Andersen is a special player and I think, I say think will have a terrific career as a Nickelbacker, ILB, RB used in packages as well as WR.  Rare player.  Parham is a good OG and would fit right in and I think start if not in 2022 in 2023.  Have you watched what little tape there is or writeups on Weatherford?  He's not Hamilton but could develop into a decent player playing the same position as Hamiton.  I also drafted S Hawkins from Michigan who can play Nickelbacker and FS.  TE Bellinger is a very good pass catching TE with very good mitts.  You need to watch these players you don't know as I have and they have talent, KDawg.  

Burks is okay. But giving up the big 4 for him and… the rest of that isn’t a great deal.

How do you know Anderson is special? There’s nothing out there on him. What are you watching? Can you link it? A WR? I don’t know man…

Parham is okay. Don’t love him, don’t hate him. 

I tried to watch Weatherford. Not much on him. 

Look, this looked like a trade downs for the sake of trade downs and getting quantity over quality… which is almost always a mistake. 

Three RBs? Two safeties? Sorry. I’d really dislike this draft if it happened. We all have opinions. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not a big London fan either, but the one thing I do like about him is how young he is. He's only 20, turns 21 in July. Typically the really good WRs break out early. That's why I don't think he'll be Josh Doctson, who didn't enter the league until age 24(granted McLaurin was also 24 when he entered the league, but he's the exception).

I have London as my #3 WR after Wilson and Olave, but I don't think Wilson will fall to 11. I'm probably the biggest Olave fan here though but I just love his combination of polished route running and speed. There is no chance he'll suck in the league. Maybe he won't be a megastar, but I think he'll rack up 1000 yard seasons and make a few Pro Bowls. 

But I'm also looking at how he fits with the team. A combo of McLaurin, Olave, and Samuel gives us a TON of speed. Speed kills and the more you stack it, the deadlier it becomes, essentially a force multiplier effect. Its essentially what the Chiefs have done, draft a bunch of mid round guys with a lot of speed and then get a QB with a bazooka arm. Now of course Tyreek Hill is special, I'm not saying any of our guys are that good, but still, its a solid formula. And we have a QB in Wentz now that, say what you will about him and his flaws, is still one of the best deep ball passers in the league.

In the end I'm factoring in the synergy that'll make the entire team better, even if Olave himself may not necessarily rack up the same stats as his draft peers.

If we go WR early, I want Olave as well. Maybe gets Terry to give us a slight hometown discount too. That amount of speed on the field with Gibson or Mckissic as the check down and Logan Thomas finding spots in the zone  is going to be very hard to defend and Wentz’ arm will make every d have to defend every inch of the field.

Olave doesn’t seem to be a typical WR diva either. London definitely has a lot of diva in him.

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Burks is okay. But giving up the big 4 for him and… the rest of that isn’t a great deal.

How do you know Anderson is special? There’s nothing out there on him. What are you watching? Can you link it? A WR? I don’t know man…

Look, this looked like a trade downs for the sake of trade downs and getting quantity over quality… which is almost always a mistake. 

Three RBs? Two safeties? Sorry. I’d really dislike this draft if it happened. We all have opinions. 

I don't love every single pick but with how deep this draft is, the more bites of the apple we take the better shot we have at hitting on them. 

If we did the same draft but double dipped at receiver for instance, I'd really like that. Say a Burks and slot type receiver later like Khalil Shakir.

I understand the reservations about Troy Andersen but I think he's got a chance to be a game changer. Even if you go off of just highlights, scouting reports and the Commanders interest in him... It's easy to get excited.

As you said, every player has a chance of busting, so coming away from this draft and not adding any extra picks would be a mistake. If we stand pat it's possible we come away with only 1 starter, possibly 2. I really want a 3rd round pick at minimum

If Carson Strong heals fully he could be the steal of the draft. I'd also rather take Myjai Sanders over the safety he took in the mock.

If we go Andersen+Beavers you combine high ceiling with high floor and could shore up our LB core in one draft.

Edited by Forever A Redskin

2 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I don't love every single pick but with how deep this draft is, the more bites of the apple we take the better shot we have at hitting on them. 

If we did the same draft but double dipped at receiver for instance, I'd really like that. Say a Burks and slot type receiver later like Khalil Shakir.

I understand the reservations about Troy Andersen but I think he's got a chance to be a game changer. Even if you go off of just highlights, scouting reports and the Commanders interest in him... It's easy to get excited.

As you said, every player has a chance of busting, so coming away from this draft and not adding any extra picks would be a mistake. If we stand pat it's possible we come away with only 1 starter, possibly 2. I really want a 3rd round pick at minimum

Highlights are a dangerous way to judge. I’m not saying Anderson isn’t a player, but for a guy we have very little on the love affair for him here is a bit much.

And I dont think we need a million picks.

Our 3rd is Wentz. 

Add talent. Not numbers.

Maybe some of these dudes are ballers. But if this were the real life draft I’d be very disappointed. That’s all. You can feel differently, no doubt about it. But I’m less about quantity and more about adding quality players.

• Like 3

The thought that keeps circling around my head is... trading down is only good if you have a good front office. You could give Bruce Allen and Vinny Cerrato twenty draft picks and they'd probably strike gold fewer times than some teams with five picks. So, trading down only works if you think Martin and Martin are good talent evaluators.

Do we trust our FO to find forgo the bird in the hand?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If we go WR early, I want Olave as well. Maybe gets Terry to give us a slight hometown discount too. That amount of speed on the field with Gibson or Mckissic as the check down and Logan Thomas finding spots in the zone  is going to be very hard to defend and Wentz’ arm will make every d have to defend every inch of the field.

Olave doesn’t seem to be a typical WR diva either. London definitely has a lot of diva in him.

Where is the diva in London? Got a link?

• Thumb up 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Highlights are a dangerous way to judge. I’m not saying Anderson isn’t a player, but for a guy we have very little on the love affair for him here is a bit much.

And I dont think we need a million picks.

Our 3rd is Wentz. 

Add talent. Not numbers.

Maybe some of these dudes are ballers. But if this were the real life draft I’d be very disappointed. That’s all. You can feel differently, no doubt about it. But I’m less about quantity and more about adding quality players.

Any other year I'd agree with you, because the drop off after the 2nd round is steep. Not this year though. The quantity IS quality this year all the way through the 5th round.

Just now, Burgold said:

The thought that keeps circling around my head is... trading down is only good if you have a good front office. You could give Bruce Allen and Vinny Cerrato twenty draft picks and they'd probably strike gold fewer times than some teams with five picks. So, trading down only works if you think Martin and Martin are good talent evaluators.

Yes, because we've picked our best players in mid rounds. Terry, Gibson, Curl, etc.

Just now, Burgold said:

Maybe. Not sure yet. But I don’t like passing on Wilson/London/Lloyd/Hamilton for that haul. 

1 minute ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Any other year I'd agree with you, because the drop off after the 2nd round is steep. Not this year though. The quantity IS quality this year all the way through the 5th round.

Yes, because we've picked our best players in mid rounds. Terry, Gibson, Curl, etc.

I don’t think this draft is as good in the later rounds as you do. And therein lies the rub.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Maybe. Not sure yet. But I don’t like passing on Wilson/London/Lloyd/Hamilton for that haul. 

I agree somewhat if they evaluate one of the WRs or Hamilton being worth 11 overall. Not Lloyd though, when guys like Chenal are there later. And that's going off of tape. 

Multiple evaluators have said the 1st round receivers this year wouldn't have cracked the 1st in the last 2 drafts. You really that confident that they're worth pick 11?

Competent FOs manuever in the drafts to where talent meets value. This year late-1st through 3rd is where it's at.

Even if it's only a slight trade back and picking up a 3rd and still drafting Olave or Lloyd. That I can get behind. Not standing pat with where we are. It's too high for the talent available.

Edited by Forever A Redskin

"In terms of character dedication, commitment, talent," London's high school basketball coach Ryan Moore said, "he's one in a billion."

Graham Harrell believes God to be fair.

If a wide receiver has been blessed with size and ball skills, then his route running and agility will not be up to par. If a wide receiver has great agility and route running, as well as great size, then the ball skills are a little off. It's how the football universe maintains balance. But in the case of London, USC's offensive coordinator questions that creed.

"Drake's somehow got everything," Harrell said. "He's a giant with incredible ball skills. If you're that big and have those kinds of ball skills, you can't get in and out of breaks, you're a little stiff. [God] can't give them everything, but he has the total package."

Harrell has been around talented receivers in the past, but when discussing London, his mind immediately goes to his former teammate Michael Crabtree -- a 215-pound wideout with great ball skills who "got in and out of cuts like a little guy." Still, London is four inches taller than the 6-foot-1 Crabtree, and he's listed at 210 pounds, though London's parents say he is around 217 pounds because he's not playing basketball and running as much anymore.

So, if London's mind still misses the sound of sneakers on hardwood, his body has responded well to concentrating on one sport. There has been more time for rest and recovery, and he was able to fully immerse himself in spring football, which has paid dividends this season. And now, more people are bearing witness to his talents.

"He's a quarterback's best friend," USC quarterback Kedon Slovis said. "When you get that one-on-one chance, you just kind of throw it up and give him a chance."

And that has been USC's most exciting and most effective play this season: Throw the ball up to London and watch the highlight ensue. The Trojans' 2021 campaign has been an up-and-down journey: a 3-3 record, Clay Helton's firing and a slew of injuries, including to both their quarterbacks. Were he playing for Alabama or Ohio State, London's season would be the kind that might culminate with a trip to New York City for the Heisman Trophy ceremony.

"He just turned 20, so he hasn't even hit his peak yet," Cindi said. "Now, he's able to take what he would put into basketball and focus solely on football. It's already paying off."

Those who saw him play before he entered the spotlight aren't surprised. Between his sophomore and junior years in high school, Ryan Huisenga, London's football coach at Moorpark High, told him he could model his game after Mike Evans because of their size and length and the fact that Evans had also played basketball. His marketing agent, Uche Anyanwu, who also represents former Trojan wideout Michael Pittman Jr., sees him as a cross between Evans and Davante Adams, which gives credence to Harrell's assessment -- catch like a big guy, move like a little guy.

"I love watching Megatron," London said of former Detroit Lions legend Calvin Johnson when asked about NFL comparisons. "I wouldn't say I try to model my game after Megatron, because he's a specimen of his own, but definitely Mike Evans. Our body types are pretty similar, so I try to mimic him."

But there are undoubtedly similarities between London and Johnson. Johnson was a two-sport high school star recruited to play both baseball and football at Georgia Tech. For London, basketball has only served his football career well. When he goes up for a ball against a corner in a one-on-one situation, Moore envisions him grabbing a rebound over taller players. When he jumps to catch a pass with one hand, former USC assistant basketball coach Jason Hart pictures a one-handed dunk off a lob. When he beats a defender on a route and breaks free, Dwan likens it to a crossover on the court. And when he tracks a ball in the air and gets to the spot before anyone else, London credits basketball for that footwork.

....London peels off his helmet after a recent USC practice that featured a handful of NFL scouts observing, folds his hands behind his back and speaks in a soft voice. The higher pitch is a reminder that he's still, as USC tight end Malcolm Epps puts it, a "big kid." The subdued demeanor is evidence of what those close to him call a "low-key" athlete who still hangs out at the local Target and go-kart track in Moorpark with his longtime friends when he's back in town. Underneath those pads, though, are hints of something more confident burgeoning.

Just ask Moore, who once challenged London at a basketball tournament to not go soft at the rim, only to have London dunk the ball on consecutive possessions and shoot him a look each time. Or ask Cindi, who has seen her son become a little bit more confident with each interview, a little bit more open with each tweet he sends or Instagram posts.

London is not a phone guy. Or a social media guy. But he knows he needs to lean into those things as his profile gets bigger. Then again, he's still rewiring his brain after surprising himself and turning into the team's best player and one of the best receivers in the country.

"I don't like to post a lot of the time," London said. "Everything's not about you. I just tried to keep to myself a lot, but I've been working on it, especially in this era. You have to be good with that type of stuff, especially for NIL."

Anyanwu and his parents are encouraging London to post when the opportunity is right, while also only accepting NIL deals that make sense for him. (For instance, he's into cars and would like to be sponsored by a tire company at some point.) On the field, there's no question that he already has the tools to carry him far.

"It's all just rolling his way right now," said USC wide receivers coach Keary Colbert, who is from Oxnard, a neighboring city to Moorpark. "Like a basketball player, they get in a rhythm, and things just roll your way. I think he's just in a rhythm right now and everything is going his way."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32436681/the-best-usc-drake-london-come

And yet, London still hasn't reached his full potential. But the runway is now clear and with a single sport in mind, the big kid with the Little Tikes hoop is ready for takeoff.

• Like 4

WRs are going to go fast.  I've mocked and mocked and even at #15, Olave was the only one left.  Burks again is underrated.  I know you don't care for him @KDawg but I've watched enough film to where I would trade down and take him in the lower 20s.  He plays much faster than his timed speed. Other than his timed speed the guy's a complete WR, IMO.  Yes, I rated him at my #4 out of the group of 5 but you have to give to get and we have holes to fill and you are not going to be able to do it unless you move down.  We can pick up a quality FS, LB and OG and RB and possibly Strong if we moved down to the 20s in the 1st and maybe again in the 2nd picking Burks, if available in the lower 20s.  JMO.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Where is the diva in London? Got a link?

His sideline and on field demeanor plus his quotes about how great he is. Here is the latest interview he had during draft month which is when they are on their best behavior and giving polished answers:

https://www.espn.in/nfl/story/_/id/33745185/wr-drake-london-potential-top-10-nfl-draft-pick-feels-stronger-faster-run-40-pro-day

“When asked about concerns regarding his speed, London quipped: "Watch the film. At the end of the day, I really don't have to blow by guys to catch the ball. I mean, I can, but I don't have to."

Everybody knew where the ball was going," London said when asked about his ability to separate and excel despite the defense. "I had triple coverage, double coverage all game, and it still didn't stop me. So whatever they say about that, I could care less.”

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

WRs are going to go fast.  I've mocked and mocked and even at #15, Olave was the only one left.  Burks again is underrated.  I know you don't care for him @KDawg but I've watched enough film to where I would trade down and take him in the lower 20s.  He plays much faster than his timed speed. Other than his timed speed the guy's a complete WR, IMO.  Yes, I rated him at my #4 out of the group of 5 but you have to give to get and we have holes to fill and you are not going to be able to do it unless you move down.  We can pick up a quality FS, LB and OG and RB and possibly Strong if we moved down to the 20s in the 1st and maybe again in the 2nd picking Burks, if available in the lower 20s.  JMO.  

Never said I didn’t care for him. I don’t like him + that group you mocked after giving up London/Wilson/Lloyd/Hamilton.

I don’t agree you found a lot of quality. You do and that’s great. I’d be unhappy with that draft.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

His sideline and on field demeanor plus his quotes about how great he is. Here is the latest interview he had during draft month which is when they are on their best behavior and giving polished answers:

https://www.espn.in/nfl/story/_/id/33745185/wr-drake-london-potential-top-10-nfl-draft-pick-feels-stronger-faster-run-40-pro-day

“When asked about concerns regarding his speed, London quipped: "Watch the film. At the end of the day, I really don't have to blow by guys to catch the ball. I mean, I can, but I don't have to."

Everybody knew where the ball was going," London said when asked about his ability to separate and excel despite the defense. "I had triple coverage, double coverage all game, and it still didn't stop me. So whatever they say about that, I could care less.”

That’s not diva. 

16 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I agree somewhat if they evaluate one of the WRs or Hamilton being worth 11 overall. Not Lloyd though, when guys like Chenal are there later. And that's going off of tape. 

Multiple evaluators have said the 1st round receivers this year wouldn't have cracked the 1st in the last 2 drafts. You really that confident that they're worth pick 11?

Competent FOs manuever in the drafts to where talent meets value. This year late-1st through 3rd is where it's at.

Even if it's only a slight trade back and picking up a 3rd and still drafting Olave or Lloyd. That I can get behind. Not standing pat with where we are. It's too high for the talent available.

Disagree on Lloyd. Yes I am confident they are worth 11. Why else would I be against the trade back?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

BAP near the bottom of the draft and special teams players plus you may have talent in that these players might be players you can trade or they take over for player or players on our team that we can trade.  

4 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Not running the 40 is absolutely a bust level red flag. The guys claims he is completely recovered from the broken ankle and can practice at mini camp the week after the draft without issue yet refused to run the 40 at the combine and after his delayed pro day. These guys now run the 40 way faster than the prospects even a decade ago because of all the specific training their agents get for them. The fact that his speed has always been a question and he refuses to address it is beyond a reason to take him off the board. The guy is probably a 4.7 or 4.8 WR. Chase Young for sure is faster than him. 

Prospects work on their 40 yard time for months prior to the combine. London not running it is understandable considering he was rehabbing and probably had no time to dedicate toward working on it. This is just a stupid argument. Obviously you have some kind of vendetta against him considering all your posts slamming him. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, skinsfan93 said:

Prospects work on their 40 yard time for months prior to the combine. London not running it is understandable considering he was rehabbing and probably had no time to dedicate toward working on it. This is just a stupid argument. Obviously you have some kind of vendetta against him considering all your posts slamming him. 

SF93, SoCalSkins probably watches a lot of USC football games and knows London better than a lot of people on this forum.  It may not be so much him having a vendetta against him.  Maybe he knows him better than most since he might live out in California.  Just a thought.  :)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan93 said:

Its bordering on willful ignorance given we know he can hit over 21 MPH in pads. It would be one thing if we were worried he’d never be the same after a devastating injury…except we just saw him moving smoothly and cutting well running routes and he’s not even 100% yet. Maximizing your 40 time takes months of non-football related training pre-draft that injured guys don’t necessarily have time for, it’s smart to not run if the number (probably 4.6ish) makes you look “bad”. 

But we have verifiable speed numbers that can be directly compared to NFL and other college players. How it’s even a conversation is beyond me, again unless you’re worried the ankle injury is chronic and debilitating. But that’s not the worry anyone has, clearly. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I'm happy to hear from John Keims comments that they are interested in trading down if the value is there.

Think it's gonna be harder than most years to pull off because I think everyone is gonna want to trade down.

We shall see.

It depends on what this team asks for in a tradedown. I think #9 or #10 is the ideal spot for a tradedown because at least one of the two top receivers will be there but I do think #11 will be a good tradedown spot if at least 1 QB goes in the top 10

Just now, skinsfan93 said:

Because he’s too slow to play in the NFL. The 40 should measure his speed which he doesn’t have.  That’s been his red flag prior to the injury. He’s conveniently skipping it because his 4.8 or 4.9 speed would make him a day 2 pick.  He absolutely has been working on it and delayed his pro day and was still so embarrassingly slow that he skipped all together. He’s probably running at a slower speed than Trent Williams. Trent ran a 4.81. London is slower than that. If he wasn’t, he would have ran.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, method man said:

It depends on what this team asks for in a tradedown. I think #9 or #10 is the ideal spot for a tradedown because at least one of the two top receivers will be there but I do think #11 will be a good tradedown spot if at least 1 QB goes in the top 10

I'd be shocked if at least one QB doesn't go top 10. When is the last time that has happened, if ever?

Everyone can have their opinion and London could be a bust. To me, he compares to Mike Evans who ran a 4.5 40 and is a legit 6’5. 

Bottom line our receivers are 6 foot or under except Cam. It would be nice to have someone his height especially since Wentz likes throwing to tall wideouts. Alshon, Pittman were all 6’2 and taller. Hell even Travis Fulgham thrived under Wentz while in Philly and he’s 6’2. 

• Thanks 1