Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

20 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

As much as I’d love to keep taking about Drake London 😂 there are others players.

For example, I really liked Wyatt, DT from UGA but apparently he’s a POS. Probably a later pick now.

“He’s off our board,” an AFC general manager told Walter Football. “If teams are okay with the character, I think he goes between No. 21-32. He has a lot of red flags.”

An NFC director of player personnel expressed similar sentiments to Walter Football.

Wyatt was arrested in February of 2020 for a domestic incident. He was ultimately charged with criminal trespass, damage to property and family violence — all misdemeanor charges. Walter Football also reports that there were three additional domestic incidents that were unearthed during private investigations.

6cw1mn.jpg

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

You and I are very similar in our choices at 11, so I have some thoughts I was hoping to get your take/input on.  Edit:  I realize I’ve rambled below, haha.  If it’s too convoluted to address, no worries. :)

Starting with some points/questions:

First off, the idea that Davis could replicate what Collins brought to the defense, but with better size, probably a bit more speed (though instincts/decision-making could make him slower than Landon).  Has a lot to learn, but I tend to think he has a higher ceiling in terms of coverage than Collins.  Realistic thinking?

Second, the idea that having a downhill player at ILB, especially one that can qb the defense, run/pass blitz, and brings the hard-nosed, alpha mentality can be a big boost to the D.

Third, aren’t we running more of a 1 gapping dline and should therefore be cognizant of the need for backers that can shed/avoid blocks?

Fourth, with Wentz in the fold (and the passing nature of the league), we need offensive help… but how do we prioritize receiver vs TE/RB?  Can we get away with beefing up RB/TE and adding a mid (and maybe also a late) round receiver?

Lastly, the team has talked about oline, and if one of the top tackles falls to 11, we could move Cosmi inside (I think he’s a really good fit there, but I have reservations about forcing that move) and potentially improve our starters and depth on the line to help Wentz and the run game.

So with those points/questions in mind, let’s say we have London or Wilson, Hamilton, Lloyd and 1 of the top tackles all sitting there at 11.  If Baltimore offered a 3rd round comp pick, plus a 4th rounder, should we consider it given we’re still guaranteed one of those 4 guys?  

If we went that route:

What if we took Lloyd - could he play MLB and then flex out in our 4-2?  Could he still command D from out there?  What if we then use one of our 4ths to move up in the 2nd to land Walker or Hall?  Then in the late 3rd we probably have a chance at a top TE.  And then of course we’d have 2 4th round picks to play around with (maybe a receiver - or even 2 - with upside, or depth.  Or we use our 2nd rounder differently (receiver?) and grab a back in the 4th.  

Or if one of the receivers falls to us at 14, and if we think some combo of Davis, Hudson and a later pick can handle the Buffalo Nickel role, is a guy like Chenal more of an option for us in the 2nd at that point?

I know the “IFs” are a lot, but it’s more the other info/questions I’m wondering about.

A few points:

I don’t think Davis fits outside in that flex spot. I think he could play a traditional OLB and cover tight ends at some point. But fast slots are going to be tough for him. At least at this point. Moving him now would also delay his development by another year. As our first last year we need to get him in the best position to find some success. 

Point 2: Yes. Here’s the thing though… I think Holcomb started doing all of that last year ASIDE from playing downhill. He did it at times but was reckless and missed more big plays than he made. But he showed progress there and I think the team respects him at this point. Conjecture, but…

third point: backers always need that ability. One of the biggest prerequisites imo. 

Fourth: Maybe. Usually find at least a single receiving gem later. In that vein I like Calvin Austin III, Velus Jones, Ty Fryfogle. But I think the best way to help the defense is to get a high end receiver in the building and a bellcow back. That changes the optics. Free agents still see a cluster but they see one with McLaurin, rookie high end receiver and high end back to pair with Gibson. Scoring more than 20 points per game also allows the D to do something they haven’t been able to: Attack. Don’t get me wrong, they’ve attacked but not in any solid coordinated effort. You want Young to succeed? Get the offense moving. Watch Young not having to worry about run lanes because we’re ahead by 14. Want to see the biggest “junior season” leap? That’s how you do it. 

Cosmi played well at RT. Not a fan of moving him to move him. Especially because I think Schweitzer was good. At some point moving guys stops filling holes and starts creating them. 

Taking Lloyd - yes. That’s been my point for weeks and why I think he is the best defensive option for us. However, I stick by my philosophy. On a defense with five firsts playing on it (drafted directly by us) the best way to help them is to draft offense (zero firsts starting drafted by us).

My draft plan would be London/Wilson, Walker, Ferguson, Monday and Bolden in UDFA. Find a backer in regular free agency that can be an adequate backup and let Mayo be our MIKE. 

If Flowers or someone comes cheap later, get them back. If not - oh well. 

Hudson, Curl are both in house flex candidates. Hudson played a similar role at Michigan but it was called Viper. Curl has played up there and excels. Then the question is: can Forrest play SS? If not, can he play FS? Can Smoke play SS?

To be short (lol) I think fixing the D is much easier than the O. The O needs to be scoring 25ish point per game minimum. Otherwise adding more D talent will be awesome for watching us lose 14-10 games. 

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

My argument is I've watched every single cutup I can find of him many times (for example vs Utah, Washington State, ND, Stanford, Oregon State) and from what I see he runs good routes, has very good moves (probably from having a basketball background), gets good separation (though his QB underthrew him a lot so he had to come back for many passes he shouldn't have had to come back for) and is physical with excellent contested catch and YAC abilities.

Your entire argument has made no mention of any film or games you've watched. So far it has basically consisted of "He's tall, he's slow (because I said so), he went to USC, other wide receivers have been busts, and he didn't run a 40."

As far as being open to new information, you can ask @KDawgor @Skinsinparadise: I was not high on London earlier in the process. I thought he didn't get separation and relied too much on his size and jumping ability. But after listening to what they said and then re-watching his cutups with an open mind, I changed mine.

I think this is his strategy though. I may be wrong but I think he was anti Fields simply because: Ohio State. I might be remembering that wrong with all these name changes though (to be clear I don’t mean HIS name changes… just all of them have me confused as hell :ols: ). But he’d likely tell you Fields is a bust already as well and say that his system works.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A few points:

I don’t think Davis fits outside in that flex spot. I think he could play a traditional OLB and cover tight ends at some point. But fast slots are going to be tough for him. At least at this point. Moving him now would also delay his development by another year. As our first last year we need to get him in the best position to find some success. 

Point 2: Yes. Here’s the thing though… I think Holcomb started doing all of that last year ASIDE from playing downhill. He did it at times but was reckless and missed more big plays than he made. But he showed progress there and I think the team respects him at this point. Conjecture, but…

third point: backers always need that ability. One of the biggest prerequisites imo. 

Fourth: Maybe. Usually find at least a single receiving gem later. In that vein I like Calvin Austin III, Velus Jones, Ty Fryfogle. But I think the best way to help the defense is to get a high end receiver in the building and a bellcow back. That changes the optics. Free agents still see a cluster but they see one with McLaurin, rookie high end receiver and high end back to pair with Gibson. Scoring more than 20 points per game also allows the D to do something they haven’t been able to: Attack. Don’t get me wrong, they’ve attacked but not in any solid coordinated effort. You want Young to succeed? Get the offense moving. Watch Young not having to worry about run lanes because we’re ahead by 14. Want to see the biggest “junior season” leap? That’s how you do it. 

Cosmi played well at RT. Not a fan of moving him to move him. Especially because I think Schweitzer was good. At some point moving guys stops filling holes and starts creating them. 

Taking Lloyd - yes. That’s been my point for weeks and why I think he is the best defensive option for us. However, I stick by my philosophy. On a defense with five firsts playing on it (drafted directly by us) the best way to help them is to draft offense (zero firsts starting drafted by us).

My draft plan would be London/Wilson, Walker, Ferguson, Monday and Bolden in UDFA. Find a backer in regular free agency that can be an adequate backup and let Mayo be our MIKE. 

Hudson, Curl are both in house flex candidates. Hudson played a similar role at Michigan but it was called Viper. Curl has played up there and excels. Then the question is: can Forrest play SS? If not, can he play FS? Can Smoke play SS?

To be short (lol) I think fixing the D is much easier than the O. The O needs to be scoring 25ish point per game minimum. Otherwise adding more D talent will be awesome for watching us lose 14-10 games. 

I think this is his strategy though. I may be wrong but I think he was anti Fields simply because: Ohio State. I might be remembering that wrong with all these name changes though (to be clear I don’t mean HIS name changes… just all of them have me confused as hell :ols: ). But he’d likely tell you Fields is a bust already as well and say that his system works.

You honestly don’t think London refusing to run the 40 is not a red flag and his lack of speed won’t be an issue?

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

You honestly don’t think London refusing to run the 40 is not a red flag and his lack of speed won’t be an issue?

No. He’s rehabbing an ankle injury. He was clocked at 21mph in a game. We have an idea on his speed. He has really good change of direction in and out of his breaks. That’s the key to success as a receiver… not how fast you run in a straight line in shorts.

He’s a silky smooth athlete with high end CoD, excellent hands, catch radius and physicality. And can block. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

No. He’s rehabbing an ankle injury. He was clocked at 21mph in a game. We have an idea on his speed. He has really good change of direction in and out of his breaks. That’s the key to success as a receiver… not how fast you run in a straight line in shorts.

He’s a silky smooth athlete with high end CoD, excellent hands, catch radius and physicality. And can block. 

I respect your football opinion more than most on this board. If we draft him I hope you are right. I’m not rooting against anyone we draft but I have a very bad feeling about London. I’m gonna be in Vegas for the draft and I will cheer the pick regardless of who it is. I will give him until week 3 before proclaiming him an official bust! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I respect your football opinion more than most on this board. If we draft him I hope you are right. I’m not rooting against anyone we draft but I have a very bad feeling about London. I’m gonna be in Vegas for the draft and I will cheer the pick regardless of who it is. I will give him until week 3 before proclaiming him an official bust! 😂 

That’s all any of us can ask. And I appreciate that. But listen… anyone can bust and we all know that. It’s all a crap shoot. London isn’t any different than anyone else. 

But watching him play i don’t think he’ll bust based on his 40. 

• Thumb up 1

I find it interesting to see someone complaining about a WR being too tall. We've gone in the opposite direction I guess. We used to complain about not having big enough red zone targets and how we needed more size among our WR corps...now it's suddenly a negative if the guy is over 6'2?

It's not like London is 6'8 and 275 lbs or something. He measured in at 6'3 7/8 and 213 lbs. 

Here is an interesting article from SI that talks about why Drake London would be a bad fit for us:

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/.amp/news/washington-commanders-draft-avoid-players-drake-london-derek-stingley-devin-lloyd

It's easy to see what people like about London as an NFL prospect. He's tall, long, and physical as a receiver. 

But there's also a lot left to be desired in this prospect looking through the lens of the Washington Commanders. 

You've heard of receivers who are quicker than fast, well, London isn't quick or fast. This means throws are going to have to be within his impressive wingspan, because if they aren't, he's not catching up to it, and there's likely to be a defender in the area with him. 

Any team with a quarterback that has accuracy issues even slightly above what the average quarterback experiences should be wary of adding a receiver like that to be the main contributor. 

To help London, and his quarterback, an offense will need to feature a consistent downfield threat to force defenses to play loose on the slower receiver in fear of giving up crossing over routes, or similar types of plays. 

I love McLaurin as much as the next guy, but no defensive coordinators are going to consistently drop into two-deep coverages because of his abilities alone, and when Curtis Samuel plays meaningful reps as a Washington wide receiver, he'll do as much in the short area as he will in the deep game. 

This leads to problem number three. Blocking. 

London simply isn't a great blocker in the run game, and certainly hasn't proven to be any better when asked to engage at the line or upfield to help free screen passes or quick routes for his teammates. 

Requires a very accurate quarterback due to lack of separation and almost no deep threat to speak of outside of blown coverages, needs to have teammates defenses have to account for to create space for him underneath, and not a solid blocker in a day and age wide receivers need to be able to contribute on every down no matter their role. 

There are teams that can facilitate adding talent like London's. Washington is not one of them. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I find it interesting to see someone complaining about a WR being too tall. We've gone in the opposite direction I guess. We used to complain about not having big enough red zone targets and how we needed more size among our WR corps...now it's suddenly a negative if the guy is over 6'2?

It's not like London is 6'8 and 275 lbs or something. He measured in at 6'3 7/8 and 213 lbs. 

6’3 is okay. That’s at the top end. 6’4” and above haven’t fared well. USC used to list him at 6’5” so if he is 6’3” that’s actually good from an averages perspective. Obviously analytics apply more accurate to a group than any one individual but super tall WRs don’t typically do well in the NFL recently. 

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Here is an interesting article from SI that talks about why Drake London would be a bad fit for us:

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/.amp/news/washington-commanders-draft-avoid-players-drake-london-derek-stingley-devin-lloyd

It's easy to see what people like about London as an NFL prospect. He's tall, long, and physical as a receiver. 

But there's also a lot left to be desired in this prospect looking through the lens of the Washington Commanders. 

You've heard of receivers who are quicker than fast, well, London isn't quick or fast. This means throws are going to have to be within his impressive wingspan, because if they aren't, he's not catching up to it, and there's likely to be a defender in the area with him. 

Any team with a quarterback that has accuracy issues even slightly above what the average quarterback experiences should be wary of adding a receiver like that to be the main contributor. 

To help London, and his quarterback, an offense will need to feature a consistent downfield threat to force defenses to play loose on the slower receiver in fear of giving up crossing over routes, or similar types of plays. 

I love McLaurin as much as the next guy, but no defensive coordinators are going to consistently drop into two-deep coverages because of his abilities alone, and when Curtis Samuel plays meaningful reps as a Washington wide receiver, he'll do as much in the short area as he will in the deep game. 

London simply isn't a great blocker in the run game, and certainly hasn't proven to be any better when asked to engage at the line or upfield to help free screen passes or quick routes for his teammates. 

Requires a very accurate quarterback due to lack of separation and almost no deep threat to speak of outside of blown coverages, needs to have teammates defenses have to account for to create space for him underneath, and not a solid blocker in a day and age wide receivers need to be able to contribute on every down no matter their role. 

There are teams that can facilitate adding talent like London's. Washington is not one of them. 

Disagree he’s not quick. Disagree he doesn’t block. I think he’s adequately fast but not fast fast.

It doesn’t really talk about why he doesn’t fit. Why? Because he does.

Who are Wentz top targets? Tight ends. What is London’s size reminiscent of? He’s a guy who can play in the slot or X and be the 3rd down safety valve. And catch the ball in traffic. 

Now… does Olave fit? Yes. Zone beater. Does Wilson fit? Yes. Quick and twitchy. Does Calvin Austin fit? Yup, horizontal and vertical stretch. 

Article also neglects to mention that Dyami Brown was drafted to take the top off of defenses and couldn’t be used in that role because Heinicke. 

And the article saying defenses don’t have to account for McLaurin deep… how the heck would anyone know? He hasn’t had a guy that can get the ball to him downfield yet. Haskins could but off target. Alex Smith couldn’t. Heinicke couldn’t. Wentz can. 

13 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

6’3 is okay. That’s at the top end. 6’4” and above haven’t fared well. USC used to list him at 6’5” so if he is 6’3” that’s actually good from an averages perspective. Obviously analytics apply more accurate to a group than any one individual but super tall WRs don’t typically do well in the NFL recently. 

That's fine and everyone's entitled to an opinion, but there are also plenty of other analyses out there that disagree. Here's one from hogs haven with some good breakdowns of specific plays and how he ran his routes.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/3/24/22991299/why-drake-londons-versatility-as-a-route-runner-makes-him-a-viable-target-for-washington

It's also pretty fair. Not just blowing smoke. They go over some weaknesses as well, including not having great foot speed so sometimes that can be an issue with separation. But overall it's positive.

Edited by mistertim

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Totally agree with the Cosmi remarks. I don't understand the thoughts of moving him, he is solid at RT.

Must admit I don't have much hope in Hudson and really don't feel like I know Forrest. If one of these two steps up it would be a huge bonus.

We definitely to come out of this draft with at least 2 weapons that can step in to at least some degree right away. 2 wr's, or 1 wr and a rb or te. Hope that one is a good return guy

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Totally agree with the Cosmi remarks. I don't understand the thoughts of moving him, he is solid at RT.

Must admit I don't have much hope in Hudson and really don't feel like I know Forrest. If one of these two steps up it would be a huge bonus.

We definitely to come out of this draft with at least 2 weapons that can step in to at least some degree right away. 2 wr's, or 1 wr and a rb or te. Hope that one is a good return guy

Yes, Forrest and Hudson are both not really a plan. They are prayers.

• Like 2

I've heard variations of the "let's move Cosmi inside" thing for a while and it mystifies me. He was really good at RT as a rookie, even though he needs to polish his pass pro (which isn't a surprise...him being raw in pass pro was already known). He still ended up with a 74.5 overall PFF grade.

He has the size and elite athleticism to play Tackle in the NFL and already showed plenty as a rookie so I'd assume he will be better this season. Why in the world would you move him inside?

• Like 3

Some were ranking their WRs in this draft, especially if we go WR in the 1st.  First and foremost, I want to trade down and will come up with the best and fairest trade down and post when I get that ONE that is spot on.  At least I will try. :)  Anyway, I rank the WRs in this draft not counting Williams because he will not be ready by the start of the season as:  

Wilson

London

Olave

Burks

Dotson

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I've heard variations of the "let's move Cosmi inside" thing for a while and it mystifies me. He was really good at RT as a rookie, even though he needs to polish his pass pro (which isn't a surprise...him being raw in pass pro was already known). He still ended up with a 74.5 overall PFF grade.

He has the size and elite athleticism to play Tackle in the NFL and already showed plenty as a rookie so I'd assume he will be better this season. Why in the world would you move him inside?

My biggest question mark when it comes to Cosmi is durability. He suffered two injuries that made him miss multiple sets of games. I don't know if that's fixable (bad technique, not strong enough), but while he was very good on the field he wasn't on the field enough to be good.

13 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

There is another Drake on USC who is pretty good. The pass rusher Drake Jackson. Not sure where he is projected to go but that guy is good. 

The PFF draft podcast I listened to this morning had him as their most underrated player in the draft.  If we go receiver in the first, I wouldn’t hate him as a second rounder.  Though I understand he wouldn’t be a starter and we need to find an 11th starter on defense.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

My biggest question mark when it comes to Cosmi is durability. He suffered two injuries that made him miss multiple sets of games. I don't know if that's fixable (bad technique, not strong enough), but while he was very good on the field he wasn't on the field enough to be good.

Yeah and that's a legit concern, but it doesn't really have anything to do with moving him inside. To me moving him inside is silly, considering the promise he showed at Tackle. Hopefully he can get and stay healthy this season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The PFF draft podcast I listened to this morning had him as their most underrated player in the draft.  If we go receiver in the first, I wouldn’t hate him as a second rounder.  Though I understand he wouldn’t be a starter and we need to find an 11th starter on defense.  

Second might be high since we don’t have a third plus we are pretty much closing the door on keeping Sweat if we take an edge in round 2. The guy is definitely a baller. He stood out in most games I watched him play in.

The Notre Dame safety is the most legit baller in the draft in my opinion.  I want Hamilton at 11. That guy is a football player. Although you could make an argument to bring Landon back and go offense at 11. This is a draft I have no huge preference on who we should take but I think Hamilton will end up in pro bowls. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

A few points:

I like Smoke Monday a lot too. Unfortunately it sounds like he did poorly in combine interviews. Some say he talked his way into being a UDFA instead of a mid round pick.

If he goes undrafted I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him if we feel we can mentor the BS out of him.

Feel like he's Landon Collins on the cheap and would be a great Buffalo for us.

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Just finished a mock.  Filled most if not all our needs plus depth at RB and S. Plus we got the Packers 2023 3rd rounder. 

pff_mock_results (12).png

I… really don’t like this :ols:

Going from 11 to 22 for Burks… I mean I kinda like Burks as a player but giving up the big 4 makes me uneasy.

Troy Anderson is getting so much love around here I may nickname him Nehemiah Broughton. I just have no idea why. I can’t find anything on the guy as far as cut ups. 

Eh on Parham. 

Eh on Strong. 

Uhh on Weatherford. 

Allgeier is decent but he’s not Walker, Hall, Pierce or Robinson. 

Don’t even know who four of the last 5 picks are.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I… really don’t like this :ols:

Going from 11 to 22 for Burks… I mean I kinda like Burks as a player but giving up the big 4 makes me uneasy.

Troy Anderson is getting so much love around here I may nickname him Nehemiah Broughton. I just have no idea why. I can’t find anything on the guy as far as cut ups. 

Eh on Parham. 

Eh on Strong. 

Uhh on Weatherford. 

Allgeier is decent but he’s not Walker, Hall, Pierce or Robinson. 

Don’t even know who four of the last 5 picks are.

I think Burks is extremely underrated, extremely.  Andersen is a special player and I think, I say think will have a terrific career as a Nickelbacker, ILB, RB used in packages as well as WR.  Rare player.  Parham is a good OG and would fit right in and I think start if not in 2022 in 2023.  Have you watched what little tape there is or writeups on Weatherford?  He's not Hamilton but could develop into a decent player playing the same position as Hamiton.  I also drafted S Hawkins from Michigan who can play Nickelbacker and FS.  TE Bellinger is a very good pass catching TE with very good mitts.  You need to watch these players you don't know as I have and they have talent, KDawg.  

I'm not a big London fan either, but the one thing I do like about him is how young he is. He's only 20, turns 21 in July. Typically the really good WRs break out early. That's why I don't think he'll be Josh Doctson, who didn't enter the league until age 24(granted McLaurin was also 24 when he entered the league, but he's the exception).

I have London as my #3 WR after Wilson and Olave, but I don't think Wilson will fall to 11. I'm probably the biggest Olave fan here though but I just love his combination of polished route running and speed. There is no chance he'll suck in the league. Maybe he won't be a megastar, but I think he'll rack up 1000 yard seasons and make a few Pro Bowls. 

But I'm also looking at how he fits with the team. A combo of McLaurin, Olave, and Samuel gives us a TON of speed. Speed kills and the more you stack it, the deadlier it becomes, essentially a force multiplier effect. Its essentially what the Chiefs have done, draft a bunch of mid round guys with a lot of speed and then get a QB with a bazooka arm. Now of course Tyreek Hill is special, I'm not saying any of our guys are that good, but still, its a solid formula. And we have a QB in Wentz now that, say what you will about him and his flaws, is still one of the best deep ball passers in the league.

In the end I'm factoring in the synergy that'll make the entire team better, even if Olave himself may not necessarily rack up the same stats as his draft peers.

• Like 1