Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

It's feeling as if Hamilton is going to be there at 11.  What is the board's collective opinion on us just saying screw it and taking him?

We haven't pollied it but it feels mixed.  There are some who say heck yes, no brainer.  And some (me included) who think maybe we take him. 

I would be cool with it but its not a slam dunk decision IMHO. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who is trading up all the way to 6?  Assume the top 5 goes:   Hutch, Walker, Ekwonu, Gardner, Neal.  Cross is the only guy I can see teams salivating over (Lombardi said yesterday that his contacts think he's got the highest upside of any of the OL).

7). NYG (more likely wants to trade down since they have zero cap space and need it to sign high-priced rookies.

8.  ATL (more likely to trade down as they are rebuilding)

9.  Sea (can see this as LT is a MAJOR need)

10.  NYJ (not likely as they can get their WR pick at 10)

11). Was (not likely)

12). Min (ditto)

13). Hou (rebuilding and not likely)

14). Bal (has the ammo.  Could see them loving Cross/Gardner/edge and jumping to 6)

15). Philly (Yes.  Do they trade both 1sts?  Doubt it.  They have the ammo to move up to 6)

16). NO (maybe.  However, they gave away a chunk of assets already).

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Who is trading up all the way to 6?  Assume the top 5 goes:   Hutch, Walker, Ekwonu, Gardner, Neal.  Cross is the only guy I can see teams salivating over (Lombardi said yesterday that his contacts think he's got the highest upside of any of the OL).

7). NYG (more likely wants to trade down since they have zero cap space and need it to sign high-priced rookies.

11). Was (not likely)

12). Min (ditto)

14). Bal (has the ammo.  Could see them loving Cross/Gardner/edge and jumping to 6)

15). Philly (Yes.  Do they trade both 1sts?  Doubt it.  They have the ammo to move up to 6)

Personally I think they would stay at 6 because they are desperate for a QB.  But if they trade down supposedly some teams are hot for one of the three top tackles and pass rushers. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Personally I think they would stay at 6 because they are desperate for a QB.  But if they trade down supposedly some teams are hot for one of the three top tackles and pass rushers. 

Yeah.  The problem is who is moving up.  I remember way back that Dallas moved from 14 to 6 and only gave away their 2nd that year.  If Baltimore LOVES Gardner and he's around at 6, I could see them moving up for him.  Ditto Philly at 15.  Carolina loses Cross (OL is their biggest need aside from QB).  

14 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

It's feeling as if Hamilton is going to be there at 11.  What is the board's collective opinion on us just saying screw it and taking him?

Ive gone from screw it yes to maybe. I could be bought out of that pick now at the right price.

11 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

11). Was (not likely)

12). Min (ditto)

Somebody for one of the cb.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We haven't pollied it but it feels mixed.  There are some who say heck yes, no brainer.  And some (me included) who think maybe we take him. 

I would be cool with it but its not a slam dunk decision IMHO. 

I agree not necessarily slam dunk decision, as I think a couple of more playmakers could really allow us to score a lot of points which is needed in today’s NFL.

But I can’t help but feel he’s someone that we pass on and we see him having All Pro seasons for someone else and we wonder why we didn’t just take him. Having a true impact defender on the backend with our potential pass rush could be really fun to watch. 

Gun to my head and if it were my decision I think I’d take him and then go best offensive play maker at 47. At that point I’d actually consider trading up to secure Walker/Hall and then use Gibson more as a receiver. I think a truly good running game and Wentz’s arm will make Terry/Curtis/Dyami/Sims sufficent enough, especially when you factor in Gibson mccissick Logan and Bates. That’s a lot of mouths to feed.

We would have to go free agent shopping for any cuts or unsigned guys in the draft to shore up some depth and maybe a veteran ILB shakes loose and we bring him in after the draft. But to me, adding a Hamilton and then a RB feels like we could drastically improve each side of the ball and have candidates for both offensive and defensive ROTY. Just a scenario that I could see being really happy about.

• Like 1

First few minutes of this video perfectly sums up why it's not worth taking a receiver at 11 this year.

They say everyone is a late 1st-2nd round talent. "Everyone feels like WR2"

"There is no J.Chase in this draft" "this class is similar to 2018"

This tells me that no receiver this year would have been a 1st rounder last year. 

That coupled with the fact that the majority of top receivers in the NFL are 2nd and 3rd rounders....we can't stand pat at 11 and take a receiver. The value is AWFUL.

If we were a Patriots or Steelers level organization, we would trade down.

We can still address WR with our top pick and get the same level of production/talent.

I don't care if Olave is Terry's buddy. You don't take him unless he falls to the trade down pick, and I'd still prefer a bigger WR over him.

59 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

You sprint to the podium. A Hamilton/Curl Safety duo for the next 5+ years behind this DL would be awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

As a "Hamilton" I can't wait to take him, I can then buy a jersey with my own name on the back! 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You sprint to the podium. A Hamilton/Curl Safety duo for the next 5+ years behind this DL would be awesome.

No.. you sprint to the podium for a WR.. Once we are consistently top 10 scoring offense in the league, we can go draft high for defense.

In today's NFL, we need to be able to score and strong offense will be as big (if not more) of a boost to our defense with Sweat, Payne, Allen, and Young than a major upgrade at a safety position.

9 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

No.. you sprint to the podium for a WR.. Once we are consistently top 10 scoring offense in the league, we can go draft high for defense.

In today's NFL, we need to be able to score and strong offense will be as big (if not more) of a boost to our defense with Sweat, Payne, Allen, and Young than a major upgrade at a safety position.

I want a WR as well but none of the ones in this class are slam dunks. Hamilton is a slam dunk.

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You never sprint to the podium. You take your full allotment of time, field offers for trades, then casually stroll up there before the time ends.

Thats how my wife approached her walk up the isle on our wedding day. My FIL was working the phones until he had to give her away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I want a WR as well but none of the ones in this class are slam dunks. Hamilton is a slam dunk.

I think Hamilton is a really good prospect but IMO he's not a "slam dunk" in the way a true unicorn freak like Kyle Pitts was last draft. Pitts was a dude where if he fell to you, you hire Usain Bolt to hand your draft card to make sure it gets there on time. I don't think Hamilton is nearly that sort of insane specimen.

He's got really good instincts and size but as we know his top end speed is lacking and IIRC his (I think it was PFF) deep coverage grade was not very good. He's not a guy I'd feel comfortable putting back in a cover 1 assignment because of his lack of speed. So you'd mostly be playing him as more of a box safety in a quarters or cover 3 shell. Which is fine, but IMO the guys who are the hardest to find are the true Free Safeties who can play that cover 1 angel role and shut down the entire back end.

Then again, it would also depends on who else is there at 11. I think I'd still take London or Wilson over Hamilton because we really need offensive playmakers in a huge way. Hamilton vs Lloyd would be tougher. I'd probably go with Hamilton, though I also really like Lloyd. But I also think LB is going to have more talent after the 1st round than WR. I think there will be a run WRs in the 1st.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

You never sprint to the podium. You take your full allotment of time, field offers for trades, then casually stroll up there before the time ends.

I’m trying to recall when we did sprint to the podium. I’m thinking it was Orakpo maybe, pick was in within 30 seconds I reckon :ols:

edit - in fact did we offer a 7th or something to get there even earlier by moving up one slot, or was that a myth?

Edited by Est.1974

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

As a "Hamilton" I can't wait to take him, I can then buy a jersey with my own name on the back! 😎

I am J. Harrington.   Only reason I wanted Joey Harrington to sign back in the day.   If I made a custom people would be so confused. Haha.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m trying to recall when we did sprint to the podium. I’m thinking it was Orakpo maybe, pick was in within 30 seconds I reckon :ols:

edit - in fact did we offer a 7th or something to get there even earlier by moving up one slot, or was that a myth?

Yeah IIRC we tried to trade up with the Broncos, who were 1 pick ahead of us. Vinny said he called them up and they basically said "Don't worry, you're gonna get your guy" because they were set on taking Moreno.

• Like 2