Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

If not a QB, then BPA all the way.  That may be an OL like Green at 11.  42 is going to have some sick options at WR and LB too, it's not worth forcing a need pick at 11.  That's what we did at 19 in the last draft and it was a big mistake.

A WR at 11 is likely to be actual BPA over what Jamin Davis was at 19 in his draft year.  Otherwise yup, don't go chasing for need.

I haven't watched Green, but a Guard is generally not good value near the Top 10.  So he'd need to profile as someone who flashes astonishing and especially scheme diverse ability.

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

A WR at 11 is likely to be actual BPA over what Jamin Davis was at 19 in his draft year.  Otherwise yup, don't go chasing for need.

I haven't watched Green, but a Guard is generally not good value near the Top 10.  So he'd need to profile as someone who flashes astonishing and especially scheme diverse ability.

If there's a playmaking LB there at #11 I'd love to get one. Micah Parsons really turned Dallas' defense around this year and I'd love to get a guy who can add speed and size to our LB group. Just imagine giving offenses another freak athlete LB to run out there with Chase and Montez? And especially if Jamin Davis figures it out and plays with his hair on fire in year two? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

If not a QB, then BPA all the way.  That may be an OL like Green at 11.  42 is going to have some sick options at WR and LB too, it's not worth forcing a need pick at 11.  That's what we did at 19 in the last draft and it was a big mistake.

Really hard to imagine that Green would be BPA at 11 when he may not even be in the top 4 OL.

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, cannonshogs44 said:

Whos to know if we will even have a first round pick. The NFL may not be able to get away with just a fine of money this time. If this gets bad enough we may lose our first round pick.

No way they take a draft pick for that. Every draft pick taken from teams since 1980 have been because of something football related outside of the nfl docking Oakland for Covid 19 rules. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you are missing part of my point.  IMO Corral as a runner >>> Heinicke.  Heinicke though is good as a runner.  Corral is a peg better.  What they have in common is they both have a slight frame.  Heinicke I gather doesn't run as much as he could because he's a bit fearful that he would be tagged as an injury prone QB.  He talked about how important it was for him to shrug that tag this season.  As for Corral, I don't know if his NFL coaches would be worried for him to run a lot (ala this college season) considering his slight frame.  I get the point about he could learn to protect himself but my point is I wonder if some teams are concerned about having to deal with that dynamic. 

See part of the reason I like Corral so much for here is specifically because TH is on the roster. They would’ve been almost identical in size before TH put on the weight he did last offseason. TH put on 10 pounds last off-season without losing his athleticism. I have no doubt that Corral can do the same and having a qb on the roster that’s already done it helps a ton. Also TH being able to adopt the mentality to live to fight another day would be huge to have in a mentorship role for Corral. This qb class more than most relies so much on the situation that each qb is drafted into. Personally I think this is best situation for Corral but obviously I don’t make those decisions 🤣

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cannonshogs44 said:

Whos to know if we will even have a first round pick. The NFL may not be able to get away with just a fine of money this time. If this gets bad enough we may lose our first round pick.

They’ll never take a first rounder for off field conduct. It just pisses the fans off more at Dan 

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Corral missed senior bowl. The combine will big for him. Could be top Qb or could drop.

He didn't miss it. He isn't a Senior so he wasn't eligible for it. I think combine and pro days will be big for everyone - especially as it relates to our team since Ron wasn't even at the Senior Bowl so it will be the first time he can meet any of the QBs in person 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Who should we have drafted instead?

Najee Harris.  He was the BPA and hindsight bears that out, but without the benefit of hindsight I would have drafted Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah.

TBH, there are probably going to be quite a few guys taken between Jamin and Cosmi who end up giving us buyer's remorse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Really hard to imagine that Green would be BPA at 11 when he may not even be in the top 4 OL.

I think he might be top 4.  Most places have Neal and Ekwonu above him, but Penning and Cross are all over the place in rankings.  Then it comes down to how you feel about Linderbaum as being a center-only prospect.  That lessens his draft value significantly even though he projects to be a dominant center.  I'm thinking his ceiling will be somewhere in the teens and that Green's combo of super high upside and versatility might get him drafted ahead of Linderbaum.

Regardless, Green would be close to BPA at 11 even if he's OL5.  There will be a tier of prospects like him that will be similarly graded and you can't really fault a team if they took him ahead of Penning or Linderbaum or one of the corners or receivers.  I actually like him better than Penning and Cross and Zion Johnson and would be torn between him and Linderbaum as BPA candidates at 11.  I don't love the fit of Linderbaum at OC after just having paid Chase Roullier, who is going to be our best OL if/when Scherff walks.  I would want Linderbaum on the team, but it's kind of awkward to ask your best vet to move out of his best position to make way for a highly drafted rookie who never earned that job.  That's bad locker room juju.  I also don't love being small at any part on the offense, and we're small in our backfield and at WR.  I don't want to get small on the OL too.  That makes me think that Green is a better fit than Linderbaum.

It feels a little bit like Green is getting slept on because of how celebrated Linderbaum's college career is.  Green is a 20 year old super blue chipper who was the 15th overall player in his H.S. class.  I love his game too.  Super wide body with elite flexibility and balance and a naturally low center of gravity.  Great feet and lateral agility.  Twitchy and rangey, flies off the LoS, fun puller and climber to watch.  Good block finisher and high motor player, looks like the leader for his OL at A&M.  Elite anchor with some real knockback power in those hands.  He's a gifted athlete with an ideal build who is a particularly good fit at guard for the kind of rushing offense we run, and he's got the kind of anchor and recognition skills to be high level in pass pro too.  I also think he demonstrated in that Alabama game that he's got potential at LT.  Only a couple of bad reps that I noticed.  One where you saw a coachable weakness in block sustaining where he got smoked by a nice inside counter--I think our OL coach can get his hands way better and there is some explosive natural power in them so this could become a dominant part of his game.  Another where he got called for a hold trying to block a late gap shooter that was whatever since the playcall left him blocking two guys at once.  Pretty good for being shuffled into the position due to injury, he probably did as good a job on Will Anderson and Dallas Turner as anyone did this season.  Bama is just different, they send wave after wave of elite DL or blitzing LBer at you and you will see every kind of rusher in the book when you play them.  It would be nice to have a quality succession plan at LT in place in case Leno walks, declines, or gets hurt.

If it were up to me I probably would take either Willis or Pickett if they are there at 11.  But I'm not in love with either player, and if the FO doesn't believe in them, then we can't draft them.  The worst we can do is bring another QB into that kind of situation.  So I'm not going to be upset if we pass on QB at 11 and go BPA shopping.  I believe you win by getting great players and I think Green can be a great player with Zach Martin-like versatility and talent.  And I also think he could be an impact player as a rookie in the hands our coaching staff because he's a cleaner and more talented player than Cosmi was.  Realistically, shuffling OLs is going to become the norm in a 17+ game season format, and guys with position flex like Green are what you want in an OL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If this happens, we should thank our lucky stars

redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame NotreDame_logo.gif
The Redskins were expected to sport one of the top defenses in the NFL in 2021, but that never happened because the secondary was a mess. Their linebacking corps was a total disaster as well.

The very physically gifted Kyle Hamilton showed lots of promise in his freshman year. However, teams question if he'll play safety or linebacker in the NFL. As it so happens, the Redskins need help at both positions.
https://walterfootball.com/draft2022.php

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Najee Harris.  He was the BPA and hindsight bears that out, but without the benefit of hindsight I would have drafted Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah.

TBH, there are probably going to be quite a few guys taken between Jamin and Cosmi who end up giving us buyer's remorse.

Absolutely a bunch of guys, Jamin was reach due to drafting based on need (almost desperation) which I hate. That's also why I hope they come up with a decent FA QB this year.

We were fortunate Cosmi survived until our 2nd pick.

Your comments on Green have me looking differently at him. I htin your best position breakdowns are the OL

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame NotreDame_logo.gif
The Redskins were expected to sport one of the top defenses in the NFL in 2021, but that never happened because the secondary was a mess. Their linebacking corps was a total disaster as well.

The very physically gifted Kyle Hamilton showed lots of promise in his freshman year. However, teams question if he'll play safety or linebacker in the NFL. As it so happens, the Redskins need help at both positions.

Walterfootball is a joke dude

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Can he play QB?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Absolutely a bunch of guys, Jamin was reach due to drafting based on need (almost desperation) which I hate. That's also why I hope they come up with a decent FA QB this year.

We were fortunate Cosmi survived until our 2nd pick.

Your comments on Green have me looking differently at him. I htin your best position breakdowns are the OL

Thanks for the compliment.  The common thought among draftniks and actual pro evaluators is that OL is easier to project from the college to NFL level than the other positions.  I've been thinking about why that is, and I would say the biggest reason is that it's an effort position.  You can't hide lack of effort or aggression at OL, the great ones show it almost every snap.  So if you see a guy who is dialed in every snap, then that's the foundation for success at the next level.  Another reason is because OL play is kind of the a priori factor in offensive success.  What I mean is that their play is the first factor in whether or not a snap is going to be successful for the O, and that they are less reliant upon other players around them to be successful than the QBs and skill players are.  When they take Ls, it tends to fundamentally break the play.  So it's just easier to isolate their contributions than other players.  And for most P5 offenses, more of their OLs reps look like NFL reps than you see for other positions so it's easier to envision what they'll look like at the next level.  Also I think the groupthink on OLs is better.  The lead draftniks do a good job scouting and defining excellent OLs and the twitter and youtube scouts do a good job breaking it down and portraying it for us.  And for me personally, I'm rarely able to watch All-22 so OL play is just easier to see from the broadcast view.

And a last factor is that OLs, like DLs, are much more narrowly defined athletes than other positions.  Drew Brees and Patrick Mahomes look nothing like Josh Allen or Tom Brady, but it doesn't matter.  Tyreek Hill looks nothing like Davante Adams or Mike Thomas, but again, it doesn't matter.  On the flip side, with almost no exceptions, every great edge rusher is built like a super hero.  Every great OT and OG is at least 6'4 and 310+.  They have very narrowly defined physical requirements to the point where it's like they won't even be able to hang as a replacement level player in the NFL if a player doesn't reach the physical/athleticism thresholds.  For example, one of the reasons why I didn't like Leatherwood at all last season, and was able to correctly predict that he would struggle hard in the NFL was because he lacked the minimum required flexibility of an NFL OL.  There were other issues with him, including a lack of explosive power and a somewhat slender base for an OL.  But that flexibility problem was enough for me to eliminate him from the draft board despite all of his awards and college success.

Re: Green, I actually had a negative feeling about him going into the OL cutups.  I thought he might be another overhyped A&M lineman like DeMarvin Leal, which was unfair, and it's why I try and not land hard on takes before I watch cut ups and games with my own eyes.  He won me over and I am thinking differently about him now too.  He is good, and I think he could potentially be great in our scheme and with our coaches developing him.  I think he could be what we were hoping Saahdiq Charles would be, and I think he could start day one at RG if Scherff walks.  I'd bet anything that teams like Pittsburgh and Dallas and the Chargers are hoping he drops to them in the first, but that the Eagles are a good bet to draft him with one of their firsts if he's still there.  I think his floor is 20 and that we're a realistic landing spot for him at 11.

And again, I think position flex will become an increasingly valued trait for linemen.  Definitely want to emphasize that point.  We've thought of the OL as being a static, continuity driven position group for so long, but it was a revelation to see how many teams started OL combinations like we did last season.  The attrition is just Hell for OLs.  It could become common practice for your staff to have to shuffle your OL week to week in order to keep your five best OLs out there.  When you have someone like Zach Martin, it makes that job easier, and that's what Green can give you since he proved he was able to do that at A&M.  I look at Ekwonu and Green from this year, and Slater and Vera-Tucker and Sewell from last year, and see that six of the top OLs in the two classes were pretty much interchangeable at four OL spots.  And then I project Green to our line and that would be at least three really good players with a high degree of position flex between him and Cosmi and Roullier.  That feels like a huge advantage.

14 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

That a dream situation if we got ND safety. He will be gone be 7.

You're probably right, but never say never.  He got injured and he plays safety, those are headwinds on stock.  It's not likely that he'll fall, but it's not inconceivable.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Isn't the rumor the team was looking at Christian Darrisaw if they didn't go for Jamin?

10 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Top 1 or 2 player in the draft.  Watch his tape.  You'll understand.  He won't make it past #9 if there.  IF we were fortunate to draft him Commander fans would be thrilled for a decade plus.  Watch his film.  Then we'd have to ensure we drafted Ridder in the 2nd/or if a team likes Ridder move up to ensure we get Ridder.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Taking a G at 11 would be criminal. If its not going towards QB it needs to be towards a difference maker at WR or LB.

Agreed. We’ve got a couple of very solid guards in Flowers and Schweitzer, plus there are  some pretty decent options available in FA. 

18 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Green's versatility also sets him apart. He does seem very capable of playing OT at this level too and why I would not mind the selection at 11 either. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Glowinski is my first choice on my list in the FA thread.

I like him but give me Ted Karras or Austin Corbett. Moreso Corbett as he's younger and came into his own this season.  

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

Green's versatility also sets him apart. He does seem very capable of playing OT at this level too and why I would not mind the selection at 11 either. 

I think most draft analyst have him playing OG in the NFL but they are high on him thinking he would be the best OG in the draft or one of the best.  

• Like 1