Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My issue with him has been pocket presence as far as peripheral vision, so far today doesn’t change that concern but no one is perfect 

I thought the same thing with 2 strip sacks from the backside.

Someone is going to make a mistake with Willis, I think

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I thought the same thing with 2 strip sacks from the backside.

Someone is going to make a mistake with Willis, I think

I don’t know if it’s a mistake. He looks like he has some tools. But it’s a gigantic risk that I sure as hell wouldn’t want to make via trade up.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I thought he did pretty damn good on that front. He got out of some sticky situations. The first sack fumble I think he missed peripherally. The second was a bad snap and he struggled to recover as he rolled and got hit from behind. 

Willis has the goods as far as pocket presence. His mobility and elusiveness is elite. He was great out the back door. He looked pretty poor as a passer besides the one ball. 

I've watched a ton of these guys (I know you have too) so my takes are more based on thier games than anything else.  I like Howell, not to the same extent that you do, but close to it.  I notice some of the mock draft types aren't that high on him and it befuddles me because he has a really good arm, quick enough release and accuracy at all three levels.

My 2 concerns with Howell watching his college games.

A.  Pocket presence but specific to his peripheral version as for pass rush coming off the edge and peripheral vision as an open runner seeking daylight.  Some Qbs seem to have a feel for pressure even if they don't see it.  Howell has moments but he seems to get sacked in situations where to my eyes if he got a beat on the pressure, he might have avoided the sack.   And his first sack struck me really like some of the sacks he took in North Carolina.  Anytime you fumble, it at least crosses my mind that they didn't see-feel the pressure. 

It's not that I don't think he can scramble away from pressure.  He can do that and often do it well.  He's not a statue in the pocket by a long shot.  And we saw that today. 

Even before I was privvy to PFF's stats on pressure to sack converstion I made this statement about Howell as for peripheral vision.  But PFF showed i am not on an island on this, Howell has the worst/highest pressure to sack ratio in this group and by a good margin over some of these QBs. 

B. His mobility.  It was clear he was mobile in college but he looked clunky sometimes as a runner.  Made you wonder if it translates to the NFL.  On that front to me he has had a good week, he looks in shape and quicker than I expected. 

I like Howell but all these guys have a liability or two or three at least in my opinion.  At least to my eyes Howell has shut down 1 of my 2 concerns but not both of them.  But that's OK.  There isn't a prospect here that i love everything about them. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Strong looks bad so far too, but it’s only a few plays in. He threw that screen backwards because he didn’t get depth and it was low as hell. Fumbled the snap under center. But the center is struggling big time. Wild snaps. 

This has been an ugly game overall. This draft class, not just QBs, as far as seniors go is not looking pretty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched a ton of these guys (I know you have too) so my takes are more based on thier games than anything else.  I like Howell, not to the same extent that you do, but close to it.  I notice some of the mock draft types aren't that high on him and it befuddles me because he has a really good arm, quick enough release and accuracy at all three levels.

My 2 concerns with Howell watching his college games.

A.  Pocket presence but specific to his peripheral version as for pass rush coming off the edge and peripheral vision as an open runner seeking daylight.  Some Qbs seem to have a feel for pressure even if they don't see it.  Howell has moments but he seems to get sacked in situations where to my eyes if he got a beat on the pressure, he might have avoided the sack.   And his first sack struck me really like some of the sacks he took in North Carolina.  Anytime you fumble, it at least crosses my mind that they didn't see-feel the pressure. 

It's not that I don't think he can scramble away from pressure.  He can do that and often do it well.  He's not a statue in the pocket by a long shot.  And we saw that today. 

Even before I was privvy to PFF's stats on pressure to sack converstion I made this statement about Howell as for peripheral vision.  But PFF showed i am not on an island on this, Howell has the worst highest pressure to sack ratio in this group and by a good margin over some of these QBs. 

B. His mobility.  It was clearly he was mobile in college but he looked clunky sometimes as a runner.  Made you wonder if it translates to the NFL.  On that front to me he has had a good week, he looks in shape and quicker than I expected. 

I like Howell but all these guys have a liability or two or three at least in my opinion.  At least to my eyes Howell has shut down 1 of my 2 concerns but not both of them.  But that's OK.  There isn't a prospect here that i love everything about them. 

You’re not wrong on any of this. I’m talking specific to this game. The first sack I think he should have avoided. The second I think was doomed from the snap. Agree he has looked good escaping. 

So far all of these guys have looked really shoddy. The game has been sloppy as hell in general. Not impressed with any of these dudes so far.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I think Howell will prove to be the pick of this bunch.  He’s cerebral…a baller…and a leader.  Those translate.  Helluva baseball player on Dre Bly’s BlackSox travel team as well.  I want Sam Howell.  I said it

He’s been my guy and this game isn’t doing much to change my mind. 

Willis has the highest upside but a fairly low floor. Howell has the “Derek Carr” consistency about him. 

Agree with SIP that is like to see him improve peripheral. Wonder if he needs or does wear contacts.

Pierce looks good at RB.

Perrion Winfrey is the biggest riser from this week. Dude is a BALLER. Someone is going to like that draft pick.

The offensive lines are horrid. Honestly haven’t seen a single impressive player.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dameon Pierce a guy I highlighted months ago, impressive guy to watch even though UF didn’t feature him much 

He’s been the standout back all week in my opinion. 

These spread offenses are so weird. They don’t utilize talent because… spread. But he’s a power guy that fits us.

Carson Strong looking ROUGH. His arm has been looking shoddy all week. Dude is supposed to have a rocket but he hasn’t even had Heinicke velocity. 

Had one good day and totally fell off the radar. Ugly.

I’ve gotta watch Alontae on film. Looks like a safety.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I don't have the time to watch the tape like many of the stalwarts of this thread, but Howell is really standing out. I would mind letting him sit though...

There’s a reason he’s been my top guy. I still don’t understand why no one seems to talk about him.

Great job there. Naked boots into pressure, stiff arms and puts it in the bleachers.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Carson Strong looking ROUGH. His arm has been looking shoddy all week. Dude is supposed to have a rocket but he hasn’t even had Heinicke velocity. 

Had one good day and totally fell off the radar. Ugly.

Good, maybe we can grab him in the second after taking Lloyd lol

Just now, RWJ said:

Can't watch the game but Pickett has looked bad I take it?

Wouldn’t say bad. He looked like he did in college. Arm is okay not great, has some downfield accuracy issues when there’s traffic, moves REAL well, checks down for a lot of his production. Good player, not great. 

He will probably get a bit more time soon so that’ll be good to see.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There’s a reason he’s been my top guy. I still don’t understand why no one seems to talk about him.

Great job there. Naked boots into pressure, stiff arms and puts it in the bleachers.

Howell gets no love.  He’s been a stalwart tho.  Unc started the season highly ranked.  Maybe their fall made howells appeal lose luster.  Idk.  His team and coaches love him and that speaks volumes 

• Like 1

Just now, duffy said:

Good, maybe we can grab him in the second after taking Lloyd lol

I don’t think I’m interested at this point. But maybe he does better at the combine/pro day.

1. Howell

2. Corral

3. Willis (caveat: he has highest upside of all of them)

Undecided on 4-8.

Just now, Stone Cold said:

Howell gets no love.  He’s been a stalwart tho.  Unc started the season highly ranked.  Maybe their fall made howells appeal lose luster.  Idk.  His team and coaches love him and that speaks volumes 

He didn’t even have a bad year yet that narrative continues to spread. It’s strange.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wouldn’t say bad. He looked like he did in college. Arm is okay not great, has some downfield accuracy issues when there’s traffic, moves REAL well, checks down for a lot of his production. Good player, not great. 

He will probably get a bit more time soon so that’ll be good to see.

Thanks KDawg. :)

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think I’m interested at this point. But maybe he does better at the combine/pro day.

1. Howell

2. Corral

3. Willis (caveat: he has highest upside of all of them)

Undecided on 4-8.

I had before the game, Pickett (1A) and Howell/Corral (1B).  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Thanks KDawg. :)

I had before the game, Pickett (1A) and Howell/Corral (1B).  

Pickett seems to be a perfectly fine QB. Nothing really wrong. Plays VERY safe at times, but when he forces it he forces it. But he gets to his check downs and let’s them get YAC. Nothing wrong with that at all. 

I just don’t see that as QB1. I’m not doubting he can’t have a good career though.

• Like 1