Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

In fact, saying Taylor could start anywhere else more likely means they had even more confidence in Fitz. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/weve-never-seen-taylor-backup-logan-thomas-heinicke-starter

"We've never seen Taylor as the backup.  Not even in the spring."  

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Fitz considering the experience gap between the two.

33 minutes ago, mistertim said:

My point was how incredibly hyped up some people seem to be getting themselves over TH with a very limited sample size and are setting possibly unrealistic expectations for the guy.

People were incredibly hyped up over a very broad sample size for a 38 year old journeyman who has never once appeared in a playoff game (backup or otherwise) in 17 seasons.  And pundits had us not only winning the division, but the NFC.  That is far more annoying than fans getting behind an unknown and hoping that he could turn out to be something special.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

In the fifth game of Heinicke's freshman year, he came into the game to replace starting QB, Thomas DeMarco, a senior with 27 starts under his belt, who went out with a high ankle sprain. DeMarco never started another game and TH went on to throw for just under 15,000 yards in his four-year career. To show the parallel to our current position, I searched for a news article from back in the day. The following article is what I found, and it does have a small reference to that moment. But more than that, it provides insight into Heinicke's character and the way he has played this game since his high school days at Collins Hill High School just outside of Atlanta. I invite you to read it, enjoy it, and gain a better understanding of what kind of person and QB he has always been. For those who might be tempted to say, "yeah, but that was not the NFL" -- that is not my point. I hope you enjoy the read. Certainly anything can happen in the next six to eight weeks, but I for one am excited and optimistic about how things will turn out with Heinicke under center. Cheers, all.

https://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/dp-xpm-20140823-2014-08-23-dp-spt-odu-heinicke-20140823-story.html

Edited by ODU AGGIE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/weve-never-seen-taylor-backup-logan-thomas-heinicke-starter

"We've never seen Taylor as the backup.  Not even in the spring."  

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Fitz considering the experience gap between the two.

That's complete bull****. It's about Taylor not Fitz. Why can't it be they really like both and believe both can be starters? You are clearly trying to twist the words to prop up Taylor when it's just not necessary. You are trying to make negativity where it does not exist.

This is the kind of **** that just makes no sense. Teammates have had really good things to say about both players yet we have fans wanting to create drama anyway. Just makes no sense whatsoever. 

Glad the team supports Taylor. They should be, he is the starting QB now. Let's do what they are doing and look forward, not stomp on a guy who just got seriously injured and possibly will never play again. Leave the guy alone.  

• Like 3

Yeah I really don't get why this has to devolve into a binary "Fitz vs Heinicke" thing all the time, as if they're some kind of QB <-> anti-QB particle pair that can't coexist in the same region of spacetime.

They can both be well liked by teammates.

They can both have strengths and weaknesses.

They can both be fun to watch but unlikely to be the long term answer.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That's complete bull****. It's about Taylor not Fitz. Why can't it be they really like both and believe both can be starters? You are clearly trying to twist the words to prop up Taylor when it's just not necessary. You are trying to make negativity where it does not exist.

Good grief, get a grip.  I'm not trying to "create drama".  I'm sure they do like both and believe they both can be starters.  In fact, in that same article, Logan said Fitz was a "warrior".  I am saying that a guy who's bounced around from team to team and has started exactly 2 NFL games in his career being compared to as on the same level as the guy who has started 147 is a positive for Heinicke.  The team believes there will be no drop off.  I've never seen a team gush like this over the backup quarterback to this degree.  Ever.  

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I really don't get why this has to devolve into a binary "Fitz vs Heinicke" thing all the time, as if they're some kind of QB <-> anti-QB particle pair that can't coexist in the same region of spacetime.

It really isn't.  I'm sure they love both guys.  It's a really good thing that they are rallying behind Heinicke.  They don't think they will miss a step.  How is that a bad thing?  

Despite my concerns, I’m of course rooting for this guy so hard. I just want this team to be fun to watch again, to give me hope rather than ruining my day like they’ve been doing the majority of my life. I want this guy to go out and beat up the Giants on national TV with everyone watching. Let’s start there. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

It really isn't.  I'm sure they love both guys.  It's a really good thing that they are rallying behind Heinicke.  They don't think they will miss a step.  How is that a bad thing?  

I'm not necessarily saying you're trying to use the quotes and his teammates saying good things about TH to create drama, but it certainly does appear (I emphasize that because it possible that it's simply my perception being off) that some people are throwing those things around in an attempt to create some sort of divide between Fitz vs Heinicke, or at least to prop up Heinicke and tear down Fitz in a way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't care for the strong arm thing. If TH can just dump 5 yards at a time and move the chains and get a TD. That is still a win-win in my book. There are a lot of QB who can't throw 80 yards and yet still help their team win. The longest pass Brady has every thrown in his career is 63 yarder back in 2006. Brady is not known for long deep throws. He moves the chains though with quick slants a lot. By doing this you keep your offense on the field longer and eat up the clock as well. 

Before mistertim gets in a bunch... not comparing TH to Brady. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Well I was excited to see what Fitz could do with this team.  I liked Heinicke but felt he wasn't a starting caliber QB in large part because he seems incapable of staying healthy.  I guess that will be determined now....

Hopefully Heini will shine and become that next great story of a QB that comes from obscurity.  I know just that's wishful thinking after WFT has started 200 different QBs since 2010.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Good grief, get a grip.  I'm not trying to "create drama".  I'm sure they do like both and believe they both can be starters.  In fact, in that same article, Logan said Fitz was a "warrior".  I am saying that a guy who's bounced around from team to team and has started exactly 2 NFL games in his career being compared to as on the same level as the guy who has started 147 is a positive for Heinicke.  The team believes there will be no drop off.  I've never seen a team gush like this over the backup quarterback to this degree.  Ever.  

Lol Yea I need to get a grip. You are changing your narrative. You have been presenting this as a slam on Fitz. Your comments: 

"This...is kind of a knock on Fitzpatrick, no?"

"We've never seen Taylor as the backup.  Not even in the spring."  Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Fitz considering the experience gap between the two.

Those are slams on Fitz implying that there is dissension in the locker room and that they liked Taylor better all along.

The comment above takes a completely different tone. I agree there is no problem in recognizing that the team likes Taylor and has a lot of confidence in him - they should and that's great and is exactly what I and others said. But you framed it before as a slight to Fitz which is just not true based on all we know, and why just to prop Taylor up? I wish him success and glad the team has confidence in him and said so from the beginning. But no need to take a swipe at Fitz who's career is possibly over. 

BTW Virtually every other backup becoming a starter that is not following a future HOF QB gets the same enthusiasm. I believes it's genuine and real but not unusual at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm not necessarily saying you're trying to use the quotes and his teammates saying good things about TH to create drama, but it certainly does appear (I emphasize that because it possible that it's simply my perception being off) that some people are throwing those things around in an attempt to create some sort of divide between Fitz vs Heinicke, or at least to prop up Heinicke and tear down Fitz in a way. 

That was only done because of the dismissiveness to the compliments Heinicke was getting, to the point that saying Heinicke could start for all 32 teams meant that they had "more confidence in Fitz".  

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

"This...is kind of a knock on Fitzpatrick, no?"

"We've never seen Taylor as the backup.  Not even in the spring."  Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Fitz considering the experience gap between the two.

Those are slams on Fitz implying that there is dissension in the locker room and that they liked Taylor better all along.

The first was in a response to Chase's compliment of Taylor starting for all 32 teams in the league.  One of which he was getting killed for.   

The second was in your response that Chase was actually saying they had more confidence in Fitzpatrick when he said that about Taylor.  Which is silly.  You are trying to act like some random nobody on a message board is going to create locker room drama.  Yes, you need to get a grip.  I wasn't knocking Fitzpatrick.  His teammates love him.  He's got a wonderful beard.  But they also love the backup quarterback and are going out of their way to put him over, saying that they are not going to miss a beat.  So, this was more of a knock against the people who think Heinicke is going to fall flat on his face, and that the season is done because Fitz is out 6-8 weeks.  The teammates clearly believe differently.  

22 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The first was in a response to Chase's compliment of Taylor starting for all 32 teams in the league.  One of which he was getting killed for.   

The second was in your response that Chase was actually saying they had more confidence in Fitzpatrick when he said that about Taylor.  Which is silly.  You are trying to act like some random nobody on a message board is going to create locker room drama.  Yes, you need to get a grip.  I wasn't knocking Fitzpatrick.  His teammates love him.  He's got a wonderful beard.  But they also love the backup quarterback and are going out of their way to put him over, saying that they are not going to miss a beat.  So, this was more of a knock against the people who think Heinicke is going to fall flat on his face, and that the season is done because Fitz is out 6-8 weeks.  The teammates clearly believe differently.  

LOL  You can frame it anyway you want - but you took a few shots at Fitz trying to prop up Taylor when there was no need to go that route. Moving along. 

Hope he kills it tomorrow. We need a win in the worst way. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Regardless of what you think of Heinke, while this game is extremely important to him, it's critical to the team. He needs to show he can be the guy. It's a perfect chance against a team we should be able to beat. But it's not all on him. The rest of the team outside a few players and STs played like absolute garbage against SD. That cannot happen again. Lose this game and yes I think the season is pretty much over. Not becasue of 0-2 but becasue we will have lose a Div game to a team we need to beat twice to have a realistic chance to win the Div. 

I can see a scenario where Taylor plays well and we still lose if the rest of the team plays like it did against SD. The coaches better be ready. They got their heads handed to them. And unlike many times last year I saw just about no adjustments at halftime. 

I have my concerns about Taylor but will be rooting for him to ball out. But if the rest of the team plays like they did last Sunday it will not matter who the QB is. 

Taylor will do enough to win the game. If we lose, it will be the defense making Daniel Jones look like Tom Brady.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Hold up.....Jumbo, you say the 3 teams outside our division that we beat had very sucky years in 2020. I wouldnt classify the Steelers 2020 season as “sucky”. They were 12-4. That’s not exactly awful 

I consider the Steelers 11-0. Because that's the team that we played, the undefeated one.

We didn't play the "broken" 12-4 team ;)

We took a perfect 11-0 team, broke them, and then sent them spiraling downward into a 1-3 record after that game

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I hope he saves it for tomorrow.  I don't want him to go to jail.

Yep I am old I made a ghastly mistake. Am too tired of living with this ****ing loss - meaning to SD. So sue me. I want the game now. 

Edited by goskins10

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Brady, Young and Brees. Pretty good company to keep. :ols:

wish he had their arm. It took a highlight reel catch from a great WR to catch his one long pass.

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Jeff Garcia is the comp.  That's Heinicke's ceiling, IMO.  I'll take that in a heartbeat.  

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

That's a good one, I'll take that too. 

Heinicke gets more amazing by the minute...

He's Jeff Garcia, Drew Brees, Steve Young, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, and Tony Romo, all rolled up into one.

Can't wait to see him shatter all the records of those QB's, since he has so many different great QB's traits, at his arsenal.

1 hour ago, ODU AGGIE said:

In the fifth game of Heinicke's freshman year, he came into the game to replace starting QB, Thomas DeMarco, a senior with 27 starts under his belt, who went out with a high ankle sprain. DeMarco never started another game and TH went on to throw for just under 15,000 yards in his four-year career. To show the parallel to our current position, I searched for a news article from back in the day. The following article is what I found, and it does have a small reference to that moment. But more than that, it provides insight into Heinicke's character and the way he has played this game since his high school days at Collins Hill High School just outside of Atlanta. I invite you to read it, enjoy it, and gain a better understanding of what kind of person and QB he has always been. For those who might be tempted to say, "yeah, but that was not the NFL" -- that is not my point. I hope you enjoy the read. Certainly anything can happen in the next six to eight weeks, but I for one am excited and optimistic about how things will turn out with Heinicke under center. Cheers, all.

https://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/dp-xpm-20140823-2014-08-23-dp-spt-odu-heinicke-20140823-story.html

Heinicke all his college and pro career, has stolen dreams from other starting quarterbacks, it seems.

He's a heartbreaker, love-taker, don't ya mess around with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, zskins said:

I don't care for the strong arm thing. If TH can just dump 5 yards at a time and move the chains and get a TD. That is still a win-win in my book. There are a lot of QB who can't throw 80 yards and yet still help their team win. The longest pass Brady has every thrown in his career is 63 yarder back in 2006. Brady is not known for long deep throws. He moves the chains though with quick slants a lot. By doing this you keep your offense on the field longer and eat up the clock as well. 

Before mistertim gets in a bunch... not comparing TH to Brady. 

I think with Brady that's more his style than anything else. He looks at what the defense is doing and surgically dismantles them at their weakest point and keeps doing it over and over until they adjust. Then he goes after the new weakness that their adjustment has opened up.

I think Brady not having a strong arm is a bit of fallacy. He doesn't have a Mahomes cannon but I've seen him absolutely rip it when he needs to. 

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think with Brady that's more his style than anything else. He looks at what the defense is doing and surgically dismantles them at their weakest point and keeps doing it over and over until they adjust. Then he goes after the new weakness that their adjustment has opened up.

I think Brady not having a strong arm is a bit of fallacy. He doesn't have a Mahomes cannon but I've seen him absolutely rip it when he needs to. 

Absolutely. Every QB has some sort of weakness and have to adjust to make his plays better and rely on their strengths instead. Brady knows what works and what doesn't. Hopefully TH knows that he can't bomb the ball like some others but instead will rely on what he can do more efficiently. 

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Heinicke gets more amazing by the minute...

He's Jeff Garcia, Drew Brees, Steve Young, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, and Tony Romo, all rolled up into one.

Can't wait to see him shatter all the records of those QB's, since he has so many different great QB's traits, at his arsenal.

Heinicke is the QB version of Russel Crowe's character in Virtuosity

virtuosity-still-02_1050_591_81_s_c1.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Have you ever seen a team act like they’re screwed when a new QB comes in? 

“Well, we just lost our leader, and (insert name) is a good dude and fun to party with, but man, we are in trouble.”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1