Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 NDAA -- Will Congress Override a Veto?

Fergasun

NDAA is the National Defense Authorization Act.  

After a tumultuous 4 years of passing the Federal Government budgets, which included the longest Federal government shutdown in history Donald Trump has one more of these spending bills that may be, in Trump fashion, more interesting than every other President. 

Although defense funding (via continuing resolution) is included in the current omnibus spending bill (with COVID package), the NDAA gives the Defense Department a chance to prioritize and fund towards yearly priorities.  

Trump has promised to veto the bill, which passed the House and Senate about a week ago.  He has until 12/23 to veto or it becomes law.  His reasons include, issues with section 230 (tech company censorship), China (bill is too weak) and issues with removing Confederate names from miliary bases (why is this worth fighting against?).  

If he does veto it, this could set up the first time the House and Senate override his veto.  The bill did pass with "veto proof" (more than 66 percent) margin; however, some Republicans (notably House minority leader Kevin McCarthy and Senator Lindsey Graham) have undicated they would vote to sustain Trump's veto.   Additionally, some Dems who voted against it could vote to override his veto.  

This would be an amusing, "I voted for the bill before I voted against it" type of hypocrisy for the Republicans and potential "I voted against the bill before I voted for it" for the Democrats. I can't imagine legislators would believe overriding a Trump veto would register beyond next month, even among the most ardant of Trump supporters... 

Today is the big day... should be the last major legislative action with Trump and Congress.  

Gotta believe if the House overrides the veto, the Senate will follow.

What will be interesting is if House GOP treat this as a Trump election referendum...

House convenes at 2 PM eastern and votes around 5 PM...

Can't tell if you mean voted NO or didn't vote.  Didn't vote could be Senators physcially absent... sometimes they will actually be absent in pairs (ie. if a Rep is absent a Dem will also abstain...).  

I already know the Ds that are against were pushing for stimulus and they voted against large defense spending.  The Rs against are against endless wars (Rand Paul) and also against defense spending.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lee, Cotton, Rand and Kennedy (LA) voted no on all the NDAAs.  

@Hersh

Yes... renaming Confederate based is in the bill.  

32 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Can't tell if you mean voted NO or didn't vote.

Didnt vote. It’s the 2 GA Sens, who are campaigning/quarantined, plus Tom Cotton, Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham, Doug Jones Cory Gardner and Ben Sasse. The first 3 are cowards who are retaining their seat and probably afraid to go against Trump, can’t figure out the other 3, esp Sasse. 

It also means Trump can't continue to hide behind shell companies, which was his real concern in vetoing the bill.  

The legislation, hammered out by progressive Democrats, conservative Republicans and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, would require millions of business entities to reveal their owners to the federal government in an attempt to deter the use of anonymous shell companies by criminals evading anti-money laundering rules.

Link

Archived