Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAT: After a summer of racial reckoning, is America ready to learn the truth about Thanksgiving?

China

29 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Just remember that while you are demonizing the pilgrim leadership that just because the opposing side said something doesn't make it 100% true either....especially when there is an agenda present. 

Just realize that there are 2 sides to a story, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

If you paid attention to the actual words I wrote, I made sure to put in character based qualifiers that would filter out the people from both sides of the discussion who didn't fit the sentiments I listed. You might want to check your own agenda.

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

If you paid attention to the actual words I wrote, I made sure to put in character based qualifiers that would filter out the people from both sides of the discussion who didn't fit the sentiments I listed. You might want to check your own agenda.

Lol right..my agenda to say that neither story is 100% accurate....my evil neutral agenda.

I must have missed any qualifiers you had in there...

Read again...please show me where the character qualifiers are..seems to me just demonizing.

"When your traditions are built on candy coated manure, it’s better to face that honestly and build back something better. I’m going to use this new information and make sure I spend time honoring the native Americans who met in good faith and make sure those sentiments are stronger in me than the fear, selfishness, and greed that makes others use people and take them for granted like the pilgrim leadership did."

American Thanksgiving is a myth like many others in history with some truths, half-truths, simplifications, and some outright lies.

We are told that Pilgrims landed at Plymouth. Apparently they landed at Provincetown on Cape Cod and later moved to Plymouth. Provincetown is now perhaps the gayest town in America. The Pilgrim Fathers who came to American to practice their very strict theology certainly would not approve but perhaps America’s motto should be “Things never turn out as you expect.”

And ... one of the questions on the US citizenship test asks:

Q: Why did the Pilgrims come to America?
A: For religious freedom;

More accurate would be “For the ability to practice their own form of religious bigotry unhindered by decent European society.” 🙂 Members of their own community were banished for theological differences.

Earlier European settlers than the Pilgrims were French Huguenots who came to practice their religious freedom and were massacred by Spanish Catholics from Florida. And the massacres of natives were often justified by their heathen non-Christian beliefs. 

Rather than Thanksgiving being the celebration of the founding of America with a spirit of community and sharing, when we sit down with our relatives over dinner we should embrace the idea that American society was founded on greed and religious hatred. Let’s all be thankful for what we have stolen from the less fortunate.

Happy Thanksgiving! :ols:

8 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

American Thanksgiving is a myth like many others in history with some truths, half-truths, simplifications, and some outright lies.

We are told that Pilgrims landed at Plymouth. Apparently they landed at Provincetown on Cape Cod and later moved to Plymouth. Provincetown is now perhaps the gayest town in America. The Pilgrim Fathers who came to American to practice their very strict theology certainly would not approve but perhaps America’s motto should be “Things never turn out as you expect.”

And ... one of the questions on the US citizenship test asks:

Q: Why did the Pilgrims come to America?
A: For religious freedom;

More accurate would be “For the ability to practice their own form of religious bigotry unhindered by decent European society.” 🙂 Members of their own community were banished for theological differences.

Earlier European settlers than the Pilgrims were French Huguenots who came to practice their religious freedom and were massacred by Spanish Catholics from Florida. And the massacres of natives were often justified by their heathen non-Christian beliefs. 

Rather than Thanksgiving being the celebration of the founding of America with a spirit of community and sharing, when we sit down with our relatives over dinner we should embrace the idea that American society was founded on greed and religious hatred. Let’s all be thankful for what we have stolen from the less fortunate.

Happy Thanksgiving! :ols:

As I was always taught the 3 Gs of exploration

God, Gold, Glory...

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

I don't think this thread is contentious enough yet.  In that spirit, turkeys suck.  Ducks FTW!

How dare you...

Turkeys being synonymous with Thanksgiving was a lie propagated by the Save The Deer Lobby.

It is more likely they ate deer then turkey....but noooooo....we cant eat Bambi...

18 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Lol right..my agenda to say that neither story is 100% accurate....my evil neutral agenda.

I must have missed any qualifiers you had in there...

You did miss them.

What's up with you trying to act like I'm demonizing stuff? I'm not demonizing or doing any over-simplifying good vs evil bull****. 

What you see as neutral, I see as an attempt at false equivalency used to cope with the discomfort felt at having time honored (white-washed) traditions challenged. We know who ended up being the ultimate victims in this story and we know that pilgrims had a superiority/inferiority complex with native americans. How many native americans are around now? Do we really need to rehash the history available to get you to recognize there is a real element of made up candy coated bull**** around pilgrims and thanksgiving? **** that disneyfication.

Deal with it. Don't hide it by saying well there are two sides to a story, so this account is automatically not true or native americans are evil too and would murder pilgrims without compunction like the poster below you said. There can be 2 sides to a story and the truth showing one party was more clearly in the wrong than the other. The truth is not always in the middle if one side is more extreme or has worse character than the other, especially when it comes to leadership.

Just now, Fresh8686 said:

You did miss them.

What's up with you trying to act like I'm demonizing stuff? I'm not demonizing or doing any over-simplifying good vs evil bull****. 

What you see as neutral, I see as an attempt at false equivalency used to cope with the discomfort felt at having time honored (white-washed) traditions challenged. We know who ended up being the ultimate victims in this story and we know that pilgrims had a superiority/inferiority complex with native americans. How many native americans are around now? Do we really need to rehash the history available to get you to recognize there is a real element of made up candy coated bull**** around pilgrims and thanksgiving? **** that disneyfication.

Deal with it. Don't hide it by saying well there are two sides to a story, so this account is automatically not true or native americans are evil too and would murder pilgrims without compunction like the poster below you said.

Lol you are so wrong on so many levels. You outright demonize the pilgrim leadership..its blatant.

History doesn't make me uncomfortable at all...there were atrocities and there were inspirations all over history. No candy coating...

Only difference is you are getting on a soap box and saying that the Native American story is the right one when most likely it has been just as embellished as the Pilgrims side.

Tell ya what...you want to educate yourself on the truthfulness of 2 different stories?

Read Beuwulf, then read Grendel. Perfect example of the views from 2 different perspectives of the same story....I learned that lesson in 6th grade...

9 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I don't think this thread is contentious enough yet.  In that spirit, turkeys suck.  Ducks FTW!

We made the decision to cut Turkey from the menu this year actually. Smoking 2 diff briskets. Me versus the Bro in Law (who taught me). I have to win! 

Look at it this way... when the family gathers for a Thanksgiving meal and a contentious argument breaks out between your racist uncle Dave and your hippie cousins, drunk Aunt Phyllis threatens mom with a carving knife, and brother Bob and sister-in-law Pam leave early in disgust... THAT is the TRUE spirit of Thanksgiving.

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

For all we know, they already had experience with the Europeans. I doubt the Vikings who most likely came first stayed up in the Nova Scotia area, and history has shown, Vikings weren't exactly the most cordial.

Of course the 2 sides to every story thing...and for all we know the Vikings were the most pleasant of chaps...who fumbled the ball when the spotlight.....oh wait..thats a different Viking..

;)

8928836.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Look at it this way... when the family gathers for a Thanksgiving meal and a contentious argument breaks out between your racist uncle Dave and your hippie cousins, drunk Aunt Phyllis threatens mom with a carving knife, and brother Bob and sister-in-law Pam leave early in disgust... THAT is the TRUE spirit of Thanksgiving.

I don't think you are supposed to have all those people at your house this year...

22 minutes ago, Llevron said:

We made the decision to cut Turkey from the menu this year actually. Smoking 2 diff briskets. Me versus the Bro in Law (who taught me). I have to win! 

See!?

May the best man win. Just like in 1620 when the Euros battled the Natives for North American superiority. Your smoke-off is 4 centuries in the making. God speed. 

17 minutes ago, Xameil said:

That would be soooo WTF...I mean WFT

The peak Redskins-ing (previously referred to as Norving) would be to do this....

Rally in November/December to enter week 17 at 6-9

The Eagles limp into week 17 at 5-9-1 

We lose to the Eagles to lose out on the division title

We end 6-10 and pick 13th 

33 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

See!?

May the best man win. Just like in 1620 when the Euros battled the Natives for North American superiority. Your smoke-off is 4 centuries in the making. God speed. 

Guess we know whose bringing small pox blankets to the party. 

Me. It will be me doing that. 

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The peak Redskins-ing (previously referred to as Norving) would be to do this....

Rally in November/December to enter week 17 at 6-9

The Eagles limp into week 17 at 5-9-1 

We lose to the Eagles to lose out on the division title

We end 6-10 and pick 13th 

Lol...sooooo true

Just now, Llevron said:

Guess we know whose bringing small pox blankets to the party. 

Me. It will be me doing that. 

You need to adjust that statement for the situation...

You're not bringing small pox blankets...you're bring salmonella laced foil for him to use

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Are...are...we related...😲

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Remember that it was your sweet potato casserole that started all the ugliness.

Just now, thelongestbreath said:

It's not a holiday until there's a family fight.  However instead of racism, it's typically more in regards to being agnostic in a pentecostal denominated family

Ouch...and no one has died yet?

Just now, Corcaigh said:

Remember that it was your sweet potato casserole that starred all the ugliness.

Question is....marshmallows or no marshmallows...

Thats a deadly debate right there...

5 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Question is....marshmallows or no marshmallows...

Thats a deadly debate right there...

Keeping with the menu at the first Thanksgiving Dinner, Chief Massasoit always made the sweet potato casserole with jumbo campfire marshmallows.

HISTORICAL FACT!

Just now, Corcaigh said:

Keeping with the menu at the first Thanksgiving Dinner, Chief Massasoit always made the sweet potato casserole with jumbo campfire marshmallows.

HISTORICAL FACT!

Well...now that explains it, because I know for a fact the British hate marshmallows...

Seriously, our sales director here moved from England and the look on his face after he tried a S'more was epic

6 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Ouch...and no one has died yet?

I've learned it's just easier to leave with my wife and child quickly when the message becomes too godly.  It's just easier and helps keep the peace.  People are entitled to their opinion, and my family at least follows the views vs just cherry picking what they want to so there's that **shrugs shoulders**.

Archived