Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

46 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I really glad Dead Island 2 is getting good reviews, I hope it sells well. The first game has a special place in my heart, such an underrated game. Honestly, I've never understood why Dying Light was considered the better series, I hated that game.

I just finished playing Dying Light (haven't played Dead Island).  Loved the parkour, hated the melee combat.  ****ing despise the virals.  It would be one thing if those assholes were just thrown at you when you made loud noises, but they decide to randomly spawn waves of them aggro'd on you and now you can't do anything until you kill them all, but they'll keep coming in these wave wasting your time.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I just finished playing Dying Light (haven't played Dead Island).  Loved the parkour, hated the melee combat.  ****ing despise the virals.  It would be one thing if those assholes were just thrown at you when you made loud noises, but they decide to randomly spawn waves of them aggro'd on you and now you can't do anything until you kill them all, but they'll keep coming in these wave wasting your time.

Dying Light just wasn't fun, I found it to be a chore to play.

• Sad 1

On 4/25/2023 at 7:58 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Anyone played Total War: Warhammer III yet?

I have a few friends that play regularly and really enjoy it. I've watched them stream it and it looks like it has legs, but I'm not in the market for a new game that's going to suck me in. 

On 4/26/2023 at 11:08 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Anyone try/play the Chivalry games? 

It's pretty fun, and I like that you can jump in for a relatively short period of time if you want to and still have fun. 

15 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I really glad Dead Island 2 is getting good reviews, I hope it sells well. The first game has a special place in my heart, such an underrated game. Honestly, I've never understood why Dying Light was considered the better series, I hated that game.

is dead island open world? That was what made dying light special for me. Just being in a huge city and being told to survive with the parkour and ability to go anywhere and climb anything. The combat was crazy and fun albeit completely ridiculous, and the concept of being out on a mission and seeing the sun going down and weighing the risk reward of being stuck out at night or  making it to a safe house was really fun

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 9:58 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

is dead island open world? That was what made dying light special for me. Just being in a huge city and being told to survive with the parkour and ability to go anywhere and climb anything. The combat was crazy and fun albeit completely ridiculous, and the concept of being out on a mission and seeing the sun going down and weighing the risk reward of being stuck out at night or  making it to a safe house was really fun

I don't know for sure, but I believe Dead Island 2 is the same as the original DI. The game is broken up into large sections (that you can go back to at anytime) that are open world. In the original game, there were plenty of areas and buildings to explore, I think the sequel is the same.

Dead Island got a bad shake when it came out. People took the game trailer to heart and then got disappointed that the trailer (without gameplay) was different than the game. Also, reviewers did a terrible job of explaining what that game actually was. Many portrayed it as "Skyrim with zombies", when really it was "Borderlands, melee, looter with zombies". Still loved the original and the DLC, though.

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

I don't know for sure, but I believe Dead Island 2 is the same as the original DI. The game is broken up into large sections (that you can go back to at anytime) that are open world. In the original game, there were plenty of areas and buildings to explore, I think the sequel is the same.

Dead Island got a bad shake when it came out. People took the game trailer to heart and then got disappointed that the trailer (without gameplay) was different than the game. Also, reviewers did a terrible job of explaining what that game actually was. Many portrayed it as "Skyrim with zombies", when really it was "Borderlands, melee, looter with zombies". Still loved the original and the DLC, though.

Yeah, I remember when that trailer first came out and there was a lot of hype for it, but in the end the trailer was completely not representative of what the game ultimately was leading to a lot of disappointment.

Tears of the Kingdom has a 97% metacritic score and is being called the greatest open world game ever, and possibly the greatest game ever 

Consensus seems to be take Breath of the Wild, add a world above Hyrule and a world below hyrule to explore and seamlessly move between, crank the gameplay sandbox, freedom, and creativity to 100, add more traditional dungeons, and expand the story 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Looks like it's The Legend Of Zelda: 2 Breath 2 Wild.  Exactly what I was afraid of.  Don't think I'll be picking it up any time soon.  Good thing I still have the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 dlc--Future Redeemed--to occupy me.

I’m excited since it seems to address all the things I didn’t like about BOtW like the lack of story and dungeons and keeps all the things I loved about it like the incredible freedom and gameplay sandbox 

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’m excited since it seems to address all the things I didn’t like about BOtW like the lack of story and dungeons and keeps all the things I loved about it like the incredible freedom and gameplay sandbox 

Everything I've read is that they found a way to make the story still just a bunch of memories, and the dungeons are just slightly better versions of Divine Beasts and take no more than 30 minutes to complete and take no thought.

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Everything I've read is that they found a way to make the story still just a bunch of memories, and the dungeons are just slightly better versions of Divine Beasts and take no more than 30 minutes to complete and take no thought.

I don't know how they could be slightly better versions of Divine Beasts and take no thought. The Divine Beats themselves at least took a bit of thought to get past and I know all of Zelda's tricks by now. They don't make them hardcore like that did back in the master sword challenge or whatever the hard mode version was of OoT days, though. Its hard for me to believe any one person has done every challenge in the game already so there is likely some stuff left unexplored, BotW wasn't even really about the difficulty it was more about the exploration so that's what you are going to get with this one. Hopefully they give you something like the Master Sword challenge in this one too, though. That was pretty difficult. 

I read the story is good, but still uh.....decentralized? I dunno. Basically still the same story telling method but the story is way better which I guess I can get with. I not sure how you tell a fully linear story without any linear progression anyway. Same problem Elden Ring had only they sound like they address it better. 

I will let yall know a full review 5 years from now when I finally finish all of it. Im totally a Zelda stan though, so im for sure going to be biased. 

Its definitely Breath of the Wild 2. And I'm here for that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

out of curiosity what is your favorite of the 3D Zelda games?

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

BotW wasn't even really about the difficulty it was more about the exploration so that's what you are going to get with this one.

I think this one is even more so focused on your own creativity. I saw a quote “Tears of the Kingdom doesn’t reinvent the wheel, it makes you the inventor of the wheel”

with all the different combinations of things you can fuse together to make something new or the way you can build vehicles or contraptions to get around the world and use for combat, no person will have a similar play though and there is even 

ore freedom than BOTW in what you can do and how you can approach gameplay 

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with Twilight Princess.  Really liked the atmosphere and it felt like they had really refined the gameplay (I played on Gamecube) for that one.  Does have its flaws; Wolf Link wasn't the most fun to play as, and it did skew a little easier, but I enjoyed the combat, especially with the addition of the hidden techniques you learn throughout the game.

I think a remake of Ocarina Of Time with some combat tweaks could take the top spot.  Or even Majora's Mask.

To rate the 3D Zeldas, I'd put them like this:

5-Star:

• Twilight Princess
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Majora's Mask

4-Star:

• Windwaker
  • Skyward Sword

3-star:

• Breath of the Wild

Windwaker could probably be upgraded to 5-star with better sailing mechanics and more to do while sailing.  I hadn't played the HD remake, but I understand the fast sail helps in that regard.

Skyward Sword did some really good things.  Probably the best story-telling in a Zelda game, and I personally rather enjoyed the motion controls for it.  But it was too linear, and the world was too disconnected.  Seems Nintendo took those critiques to heart with Breath of the Wild and focused on non-linearity and connected world above all else.

Man, I'm really getting the itch to play the old Zeldas.  I might have to play through them again after I move.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I thought Twilight Princess sucked and it had the stupid ass waggle controls.  I turned it off after playing it like 6 hours and being bored to death.  It was so bad it made me not even want to try out Skyward Sword.

Twilight Princess was a Gamecube game ported to the Wii and they just mapped "waggle" to what was standard button-press sword swing  It was tacked on (side note, I had accomplished about the same in Ocarina of Time in an emulator back in the day using a wiimote scripting program so I could assign various motions to keyboard strokes).  Gamecube was the superior way to play (though the Wii U HD remake is probably the best way to play now).  Skyward Sword was completely different and was designed around 1:1 sword movement (which I believe they had given up on achieving until they saw the Wii Sports Resort team succeed in with their sword-fight mini-game)

8 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Twilight Princess was a Gamecube game ported to the Wii and they just mapped "waggle" to what was standard button-press sword swing  It was tacked on (side note, I had accomplished about the same in Ocarina of Time in an emulator back in the day using a wiimote scripting program so I could assign various motions to keyboard strokes).  Gamecube was the superior way to play (though the Wii U HD remake is probably the best way to play now).  Skyward Sword was completely different and was designed around 1:1 sword movement (which I believe they had given up on achieving until they saw the Wii Sports Resort team succeed in with their sword-fight mini-game)

Yes I am well aware of all of this.

TP still sucked ass and SS looked just as bad.  

EDIT:

And the Wii+ addition was not even CLOSE to 1:1 mapping lol.  I had it on every controller and had Wii Sports Resorts.

If you want to feel what 1:1 mapping of a sword is like, try Beat Saber in VR.

Edited by purbeast

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I think a remake of Ocarina Of Time with some combat tweaks could take the top spot.  Or even Majora's Mask.

This would be a dream come true for me. I doubt Nintendo ever gets down bad enough that they have to do it. But man! 

23 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I think this one is even more so focused on your own creativity. I saw a quote “Tears of the Kingdom doesn’t reinvent the wheel, it makes you the inventor of the wheel”

with all the different combinations of things you can fuse together to make something new or the way you can build vehicles or contraptions to get around the world and use for combat, no person will have a similar play though and there is even 

ore freedom than BOTW in what you can do and how you can approach gameplay 

https://imgur.com/DKR0x2T

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

bruh

I can’t even tell you how much this blew my mind. The dark half of me wants Nintendo to jump into the GRAPHICS!!!!1! race with Sony and Microsoft just for this. 

I realize that would be a mistake. But man would it be cool for just this lol