Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I enjoyed Elden Ring for what it was. A series of boss fights connected almost exclusively by nothing more than an overworld.

i still maintain the story is an absolute mess. If you play for 150+ hours, you should have a basic understanding of character motivations and the general story. You can dive deeper thru exploration for expanded story, character details, lore etc but you shouldn’t have to go to wikis, Reddit theories, and combing a massive open world to find some dumb tombstone that explains something to understand what is going on. 

I still don’t know why your character does what he does. Why does he want to be Elden Lord? Why does anything happen? Why is Malenia dead until you show up and then without reason just decides to fight you? What is the Elden beast? Why do I need to stop Rodrick from being Elden lord? Why did he come back anyway. What would make that bad? What at all about this world is worth saving? There are like 5 NPCs that are regular people so who really cares. 

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I enjoyed Elden Ring for what it was. A series of boss fights connected almost exclusively by nothing more than an overworld.

i still maintain the story is an absolute mess. If you play for 150+ hours, you should have a basic understanding of character motivations and the general story. You can dive deeper thru exploration for expanded story, character details, lore etc but you shouldn’t have to go to wikis, Reddit theories, and combing a massive open world to find some dumb tombstone that explains something to understand what is going on. 

I still don’t know why your character does what he does. Why does he want to be Elden Lord? Why does anything happen?

Spoiler

Why is Malenia dead until you show up and then without reason just decides to fight you?

What is the Elden beast? Why do I need to stop Rodrick from being Elden lord? Why did he come back anyway. What would make that bad? What at all about this world is worth saving? There are like 5 NPCs that are regular people so who really cares. 

Damn, just because no one knows what the story is, doesn't mean you can drop spoilers.

Anyways, I really like this game, but it isn't GOTY. I don't know what it, but it isn't Elden Ring.

Elden Ring definitely my GOTY.  Any game that can get 150+ hours of mine is the one I've played the most by far, and if I'm playing it the most, it's because it's my favorite one.

God of War would be a close second.  The thing is, it was nothing new and just more of the same.  I knew exactly what it was going to be and what to expect, and it delivered just that and then some. 

Whereas Elden Ring was something completely new with the way they handle the open world aspect of the game.  And the scale of the world is simply incomparable to anything else I've ever played.   

25 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Damn, just because no one knows what the story is, doesn't mean you can drop spoilers.

Anyways, I really like this game, but it isn't GOTY. I don't know what it, but it isn't Elden Ring.

sorry that’s not really a spoiler it’s just the way the cutscene is played. Not even sure that’s what happened. Again tho, I didn’t even think it would be considered a spoiler because everything is so unclear. Is that the case? What does that mean if so? Nobody knows. Just there you are, I must kill you now. On to the next one 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

15 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Elden Ring definitely my GOTY.  Any game that can get 150+ hours of mine is the one I've played the most by far, and if I'm playing it the most, it's because it's my favorite one.

God of War would be a close second.  The thing is, it was nothing new and just more of the same.  I knew exactly what it was going to be and what to expect, and it delivered just that and then some. 

Whereas Elden Ring was something completely new with the way they handle the open world aspect of the game.  And the scale of the world is simply incomparable to anything else I've ever played.   

Its probably the best game I've played thats come out this year, but I don't play a lot of new games, especially AAA ones.

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

sorry that’s not really a spoiler it’s just the way the cutscene is played. Not even sure that’s what happened. Again tho, I didn’t even think it would be considered a spoiler because everything is so unclear. Is that the case? What does that mean if so? Nobody knows. Just there you are, I must kill you now. On to the next one 

I'm just messing with you, I have no idea whats going on story wise. I killed a sub boss, thought it was ones of the main bosses. Nope, go back, go deeper, thought I cleared it then...nope, go back...then I died.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

@Momma There Goes That Man who ****ing cares about any of that... the game owned!

it matters because games have grown and changed since 1982 and shooting as many white dots with your rocket ship as you can. One of the ways it’s changed is that your actions have reason behind them. 

I actually think BOtW is a lot like Elden Ring in structure but in that you at least know the motivations of Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda. You can see the world for what it could be without this oppressive evil and talk to NPCs to learn about it and see that it is worth saving. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

what was new? How did they handle the open world so differently? 

19 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Define noob.

anyone that doesn’t expect the game and its creators to actively hate them at every step of the way 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

what was new? How did they handle the open world so differently? 

Pretty much every other open world game has the same exact formula.

Go to the "main" marker on the map and do what they tell you, go to the next one, rinse repeat.

Then you have the "side quest" markers that are scattered about that basically do the same thing.

Then you have the "other" markers like shops, points of interest, etc.

It's basically a checklist of what you have to do and they tell you where you have to go to do it.  Very formulaic.

You had none of that with this game.  There is zero hand holding.  Even the guiding light can basically be pointing in 2 different directions at once.  You also had no parts of the world locked down.  You could pretty much go anywhere at any time.  Hell I passed the first big ass castle by simply going around it on the side of a cliff.  I was well past the castle before I actually "beat" it.  There really also isn't any dead empty space in the world.  Everything was there for a purpose instead of just making the world bigger with empty space, just to be big.

This is one game you can truly play it how you want to play it.  You can play through the entire "main" game and completely miss huge HUGE parts of the game that you would only see if you were out exploring.  The optional areas aren't like traditional side quests in games that are just fetch quests usually and are there to basically make the game longer.  

The way I played the game is probably much different than each and every one of you guys played the game.  We probably saw a lot of completely different stuff as well or saw it in completely different orders.  

Oh and you mentioned BotW.  I beat that game and every shrine in it and have no clue wtf was going on with the story lol.

Edited by purbeast

43 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Should I get Horizon Zero Dawn on Steam Sale? Only $16.

That's a steal

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Playing Valhalla is like trying to viciously stab people with Gumby, drunk,  slathered in molasses, and with two bad lungs, so he collapses out of breath after one dodge.

I hate it already 

Oh now I know what's wrong, the crazy combat scaling I had it set at, had me fighting dudes at the start of the game that were like 40 lvls above me 

On 12/30/2022 at 12:28 PM, purbeast said:

Pretty much every other open world game has the same exact formula.

Go to the "main" marker on the map and do what they tell you, go to the next one, rinse repeat.

Then you have the "side quest" markers that are scattered about that basically do the same thing.

Then you have the "other" markers like shops, points of interest, etc.

It's basically a checklist of what you have to do and they tell you where you have to go to do it.  Very formulaic.

You had none of that with this game.  There is zero hand holding.  Even the guiding light can basically be pointing in 2 different directions at once.  You also had no parts of the world locked down.  You could pretty much go anywhere at any time.  Hell I passed the first big ass castle by simply going around it on the side of a cliff.  I was well past the castle before I actually "beat" it.  There really also isn't any dead empty space in the world.  Everything was there for a purpose instead of just making the world bigger with empty space, just to be big.

This is one game you can truly play it how you want to play it.  You can play through the entire "main" game and completely miss huge HUGE parts of the game that you would only see if you were out exploring.  The optional areas aren't like traditional side quests in games that are just fetch quests usually and are there to basically make the game longer.  

The way I played the game is probably much different than each and every one of you guys played the game.  We probably saw a lot of completely different stuff as well or saw it in completely different orders.  

Oh and you mentioned BotW.  I beat that game and every shrine in it and have no clue wtf was going on with the story lol.

you can turn those map markers off in pretty much every game. And finding the map pieces to reveal the map in Elden ring isn’t much different from climbing a tower to unlock the map in Ubisoft games or something. 

the reason the Elden Ring open world doesn’t have any map markers is not because it’s some new idea on open world games, it’s because the world is entirely empty and there is nothing to do in it.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Completed Yakuza Like a Dragon. Will continue to insist and tell everyone that this game is awesome; and the best jdrama / comedy / video game in years. If you haven't purchased it, definitely consider.

Purchased Judgement and probably going to get Lost Judgement too. PS5 backlog piling up. In addition; purchased Elden Ring. Gonna be a lot of ps5 gaming.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1