Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honoring Gus Frerotte, the QB who injured himself headbutting a wall after scoring a touchdown

Riggo-toni

On 10/27/2020 at 7:04 PM, kleese said:

Amazingly, the Gus headbutt was NOT our most bone-headed moment of the evening. In OT, Michael Westbrook caught a pass on the sideline that was ruled incomplete. He immediately got enraged and took his helmet off to complain— 15 yard penalty. Problem was that we were already in solid FG range. The penalty pushed us back— we still attempted the kick but it was missed. One of the most frustrating games of the Norv era—

and that list is long. 

I remember that game!! Here's a trip down memory lane. Norv is just disgusted!

On 10/27/2020 at 9:29 PM, Spearfeather said:

My first at Fed Ex also. If I remember right, Westbrook caught a pass to put us in position to win it but in his " excitement " he ripped his helmet off pushing us out of field goal range and we never recovered.

In my 35 years of watching WFT football, that game is top three most frustrating games Ive ever watched.  Just brutal.

It was so shocking at the time because to me, it didn't look like anything that would be an issue.  Felt bad for him after though since geez, hate to have moments like that in your life. 😛  Proves that you need to think about what you're doing at all times.  I thought about this play recently when I saw one of the NFL highlights showing a player doing gymnastics moves after a TD.  I think players should use Gus as an example of what not to do. 

On 11/3/2020 at 5:31 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Most of Norv's games were frustrating to watch.

Wasn't he notorious for blowing leads, even to bad teams ?

Almost exclusively to bad teams

On 11/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, skins4eva said:

In my 35 years of watching WFT football, that game is top three most frustrating games Ive ever watched.  Just brutal.

1997 probably has at least 3 of my all time most frustrating Redskins games in my lifetime. Maybe more. 

In addition to this one, I’d include the home losses to the Ravens (where Bam Morris ran through us) and the Rams (where we were unable to stop the dump off pass to Amp Lee). 

16 hours ago, kleese said:

Almost exclusively to bad teams

1997 probably has at least 3 of my all time most frustrating Redskins games in my lifetime. Maybe more. 

In addition to this one, I’d include the home losses to the Ravens (where Bam Morris ran through us) and the Rams (where we were unable to stop the dump off pass to Amp Lee). 

The Cardinals always come to mind too

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The Cardinals always come to mind too

It’s easy for them to all run together, but we actually swept the Cardinals in 1997. We played them week 3 in the first game ever at FedEx which we won in OT on the Gus to Westbrook TD pass. Then after the Giants tie, we lost the next week in the previously mentioned game to the Rams. But then we went on the road and beat Arizona by 10 which set up the game in Meadowlands that decided the division. 

Now, in 1996 we suffered two soul-crushing losses to the Cardinals— the Boomer Esiason game and the Romeo Bandison game. Brutal. 

Archived