Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

I don't think we really need to speculate all that much on how Ron values Carr. We know our best offer for Stafford was a 1st and a 3rd. If they like Carr, they'll offer something similar. They won't do two 1st's for Carr if they best & final'd a 1 and 3 for Stafford. They may do a 1st and conditional 2nd to get the deal over the finish line if LV says that's enough to pull the trigger but otherwise I think a 1st and 3rd is as high as they go for him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

I don't think we really need to speculate all that much on how Ron values Carr. We know our best offer for Stafford was a 1st and a 3rd. If they like Carr, they'll offer something similar. They won't do two 1st's for Carr if they best & final'd a 1 and 3 for Stafford. They may do a 1st and conditional 2nd to get the deal over the finish line if LV says that's enough to pull the trigger but otherwise I think a 1st and 3rd is as high as they go for him. 

We'll see.  Could be right but the differing factors are that Carr is 3 years younger and Del Rio was his HC.  Whether that makes a difference or not we'll know soon enough.  Hopefully, sooner rather than later.  My prediction is he will be the WFT starting QB next year for whatever they give up for him.  I could be out in right field on this but that's my gut feeling.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Did you see under it it had Carr as PFF's 9 ranked QB in the NFL last year?

I think you have to be more subjective and rank him a cross a handful of years. At worst he’s bang in the middle tier of the league. I appreciate that makes him a significant upgrade over what we had in 2020.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I think we made an initial offer on Stafford of the #1 and #3. My guess would be that it quickly became apparent that the Lions, Stafford, and the Rams had a complete mutual interest to conclude a deal. Without the Rams in the race, I think we’d have pushed harder if there was a ‘real’ chance of getting him. All moot now.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think we made an initial offer on Stafford of the #1 and #3. My guess would be that it quickly became apparent that the Lions, Stafford, and the Rams had a complete mutual interest to conclude a deal. Without the Rams in the race, I think we’d have pushed harder if there was a ‘real’ chance of getting him. All moot now.

Could be the case. But if it were me I'd have opened with two 2's or something before bidding up. It would have surprised me if their opening bid was that high. It's also unclear how the Lions ran the process though in terms of soliciting official offers vs. having conversations with teams. So we can't say for sure, but directionally it does give us a clue as to how they valued Stafford, and I do think even if they love Carr, their ceiling on his value is likely Stafford's value.

• Like 1

The key for me here is the actual motive that the Raiders have got for moving on from Carr, if true.

Is it directly linked to them wanting to be in the Watson race, or is it simply because they feel it’s time to move on, can save some cash and cap, and Gruden doesn’t mind taking a chance with Mariota and chancing his arm in the draft.

If it’s linked to Watson, us giving up #19 becomes a mandatory requirement before you even pick up the phone.

• Like 1

Way too soon to be offering firsts for players like Carr, gotta feeling it’s gonna pay to be patient this off season and it won’t be easy

I’d prefer to wait it out and see what happens with Dak and Watson and be in those talks first

If not I’d rather use the 2022 first to move up in the draft

Failing those then I’d talk Carr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

**** dude it’s only Tuesday.  A bit early in the week to be this hammered. 

I dont drink during the week..let alone hardly ever drink..sooooo yeah... is it confusing? I'm just stating that I think Bill Belichick tries to go after Derek Carr and we lose out on a chance for Derek Carr because he will see New England as a much more interesting destination.

36 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I dont drink during the week..let alone hardly ever drink..sooooo yeah... is it confusing? I'm just stating that I think Bill Belichick tries to go after Derek Carr and we lose out on a chance for Derek Carr because he will see New England as a much more interesting destination.

Cousins to SF, Jimmy G back to NE ?

1 hour ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Way too soon to be offering firsts for players like Carr, gotta feeling it’s gonna pay to be patient this off season and it won’t be easy

I’d prefer to wait it out and see what happens with Dak and Watson and be in those talks first

If not I’d rather use the 2022 first to move up in the draft

Failing those then I’d talk Carr

Should we maybe wait and see if Dak can even play again first? Are you guys forgetting that Dak can barely even walk right now? He's coming off of a compound ankle fracture and dislocation. Nobody has any way of knowing if he'll ever be anywhere close to what he was.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Should we maybe wait and see if Dak can even play again first? Are you guys forgetting that Dak can barely even walk right now? He's coming off of a compound ankle fracture and dislocation. Nobody has any way of knowing if he'll ever be anywhere close to what he was.

Agree.

The appeal of Dak is that he’s a pure FA. Must admit, Personally I think his alleged contract demands far exceed his talent. He’s good, but not pushing 40mil per year good.

• Like 2

If Carr becomes available through trade and has multiple suitors, will Jon Gruden deal him to us? If we blow them away with an offer that nobody else is willing to make, then yes, I'm sure he would. But if all offers are relatively equal, I think we'd be the last team he would deal with, simply because of the grudge baby brother Jay holds against us.

Jay took a few shots at Snyder the other day when talking up Kyle Smith and I just think that we would have to overpay the Raiders for Carr, as opposed to what other teams that Gruden is more willing to deal with might have to pay for him.

12 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

If Carr becomes available through trade and has multiple suitors, will Jon Gruden deal him to us? If we blow them away with an offer that nobody else is willing to make, then yes, I'm sure he would. But if all offers are relatively equal, I think we'd be the last team he would deal with, simply because of the grudge baby brother Jay holds against us.

Jay took a few shots at Snyder the other day when talking up Kyle Smith and I just think that we would have to overpay the Raiders for Carr, as opposed to what other teams that Gruden is more willing to deal with might have to pay for him.

I think most trades of this nature will involve a fair degree of goodwill. They won’t sell Carr down the river. They will most definitely want the best trade value, but I’m not sure they just dump him on anyone, could be wrong through.

And ideally, we would need Carr to have a strong interest in representing the WFT.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

10 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That actually works against a QB, not for. Most young QBs that go through that many coordinators are going to fail unless they're absolute studs. 

You're reading that wrong. I was pointing out that same issue.  of course there's nothing beneficial to learning a new offense each year.  I'm still suspect with Mariota and his INT's and decision making. 

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

As for Watson, I mean in the 2021 draft Miami is picking #3 #18 #36 #50

If the Texans want a quick start in their rebuild, and Watson really is going to sit out, that’s an appealing haul of picks to give consideration too.

That's a lot but not enough for HOU to move off.  They'd get that and more.  I'm pretty optimistic HOU screws this up.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Not really no, these injuries happen it’s part and parcel of being a footballer

Looks like he’ll be ready for next season and I can’t see how he’d lose ability just by being injured so not really sure what your point is

17 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

That's a lot but not enough for HOU to move off.  They'd get that and more.  I'm pretty optimistic HOU screws this up.

Yeah I’m sure they’ll want another first. I mean, they are going to shift JJ Watt as well so they should end up stacked with picks to make a mess of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree.

The appeal of Dak is that he’s a pure FA. Must admit, Personally I think his alleged contract demands far exceed his talent. He’s good, but not pushing 40mil per year good.

The fact he could be a FA is part of the appeal from a business stand point but far from the appeal on the field

The guy was racking up crazy numbers before being injured and seems to improve each year, mobile, makes great throws, and supposedly a good leader, not much not to like

Oh and we’d be gauging Dallas of their franchise QB

Edited by DefinitelyMaybe

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

The fact he could be a FA is part of the appeal from a business stand point but far from the appeal on the field

The guy was racking up crazy numbers before being injured and seems to improve each year, mobile, makes great throws, and supposedly a good leader, not much not to like

Oh and we’d be gauging Dallas of their franchise QB

Any idea on his reported timeline for recovery from injury, with FA only 6-7 weeks away?

Was gutted didn’t get Stafford but glad we didn’t over pay as keeping draft picks and continue to add pieces is the way to go..

more I think about Carr the more I think he could be good for us, depends on the cost tho!!!

I hope Ron gets whoever his man is soon..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Any idea on his reported timeline for recovery from injury, with FA only 6-7 weeks away?

Doesn't really give a timeline but this is the most recent update I could find, from Jan 16th.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cowboys-qb-dak-prescott-making-great-progress-with-ankle-rehab

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Prescott is walking, working on an anti-gravity treadmill and in a HydroWorx pool, which takes pressure off his ankle but allows him to get in shape.

So it sounds like he's back upright but not really putting any weight on the ankle. I'd be pretty shocked if he could do any real workouts by the time FA rolls around. Any team that picks him up (of franchises him, in the case of the Cowboys) is probably going to have to listen to doctors and then just hope. If he's asking for $35-40 million per year, that's could be one hell of a gamble.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1