Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If anyone there knows where the bodies are buried it would be Bruce.  

Also Dan's theme for all of this is that Bruce oversaw it all and fostered that bad culture not him.  Interesting that Dan's team gave the Gruden emails to the NFL to make that point.  also interesting that Bruce was "eager" to give testimony. 

I'm sure Bruce knows Dan's email address.

48 minutes ago, samy316 said:

I was just about to post this.  I bet we’re the only team Week 1 that won’t have full attendance.  Considering the opponent, we might be lucky to have half of Fed-Ex filled.

I think there will be decent turnout for Week 1, but only because they are throwing tickets around.

They have been absolutely hounding former season ticket owners and I have been offered free tix vs Jax multiple times. I have not even had season seats for several years but this year they have been very aggressive about reaching out and trying to get us to return. Offers and invites several times a week by phone, and I don't even count the email barrage. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Attendance as of yesterday was listed as around 45K-46K. Who knows either 1) if all those people end up going, or 2) if that number goes up anymore by the weekend 

Curious is to what those 45-46K numbers are based on. Are those internal projections, or do you have a linkable source?

I went back and looked at the attendance thread from week 1 of last season, and the OP said that (at least for the games through Sunday) that 5 out of 15 were sold out, with a good chunk of the others having at least 90 percent capacity.

We had 52-53K against the Chargers for the opener last year.  Based on the push to get butts in the club seats, I'm going to target 55K for Sunday at FedEx. Anything short of that will be a disappointment, IMO.

4 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Curious is to what those 45-46K numbers are based on. Are those internal projections, or do you have a linkable source?

I went back and looked at the attendance thread from week 1 of last season, and the OP said that (at least for the games through Sunday) that 5 out of 15 were sold out, with a good chunk of the others having at least 90 percent capacity.

We had 52-53K against the Chargers for the opener last year.  Based on the push to get butts in the club seats, I'm going to target 55K for Sunday at FedEx. Anything short of that will be a disappointment, IMO.

Not sure what the numbers are based on, I just overheard it from the production meeting that happened today (in the operations department). 

If it rains, doubt it’ll be 55K. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If they can get 50k in there, and at least 40k are hyped up and making noise, it will be fine as far as TV goes.  It isn't Week 1 you have to be worried about, it's if the team is below .500 around Week 10 where you panic about the attendance for the rest of the season.

If the team isn't already panicking about attendance they are dumber than we give them credit for.

• Haha 4

Just now, CobraCommander said:

If the team isn't already panicking about attendance they are dumber than we give them credit for.

I am sure they are not happy about attendance, but at a certain point they probably realized it's the lack of winning that is the cause, and nothing besides winning football games is going to bring the fans back on a consistent basis.  The panic should be about the mediocre product on the field for almost 25 years. 

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

Yeah, there should be an entire team of people fully dedicated to fan recruitment and retention. Bad publicity, horrible owner, bad location, two decades of losing, unpopular name change, lukewarm reception to rebrand, etc. all adds up to horrible trend of fan atrophy...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I am sure they are not happy about attendance, but at a certain point they probably realized it's the lack of winning that is the cause, and nothing besides winning football games is going to bring the fans back on a consistent basis.  The panic should be about the mediocre product on the field for almost 25 years. 

They always have some desperate plea midway through the season for fans to show up and show support or they will continue to lose. It's a whole chicken and the egg thing to them but we all know if you win, people will show up to the games. If you lose, people will stay home.l

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Most multi-billion dollar organizations (especially ones that claim they've improved and have other teams calling them for advice) can handle more than one issue at a time. Jason Wright can delegate the "mediocre product on the field" to Ron Rivera. But he is here to sell the team to the fans win, lose, or draw.

Say what you want, there are ways to do that. You don't have to sell stale and expired peanuts or $14 beers. You could have made sure you were the best marketed NFL team by now even if you finish 7-10 or 8-9. The rebrand could have been flawless, not awkward and sleepy on the Today Show. Win or lose on the field, they still aren't winning off of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

They always have some desperate plea midway through the season for fans to show up and show support or they will continue to lose. It's a whole chicken and the egg thing to them but we all know if you win, people will show up to the games. If you lose, people will stay home.l

Yeah and the other thing people might overlook is for fans around my age that have kids, we've grown up most of our adult lives with this team being mediocre and our reactions and attitudes about the team likely reflect in our kids too because outside of an isolated season or game here or there, they watch our enthusiasm drop and in turn probably are less excited themselves too.   This is no longer a problem with only one specific generation of fans, it is infecting the next generation too.  

The Chargers game was actually the second highest attended home game last season, apart from Dallas. 

The team was winning in 2018 and still wasn't drawing anybody in the club or upper levels. That's largely because the secondary market discounts that you used to get in those levels weren't there anymore. There's only a certain amount people are going to pay.

Again, hopefully the organization's decision to slash club prices will help this year, at least on the STH front.

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

I mean, they were winning games in2018 and fan attendance was still pretty poor. It’s more like, if you win (and can show you’re a playoff contender instead of a pretender) then people will show up to games.

Not as many people as when Snyder sells (either on his own or by force) though 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Most multi-billion dollar organizations (especially ones that claim they've improved and have other teams calling them for advice) can handle more than one issue at a time. Jason Wright can delegate the "mediocre product on the field" to Ron Rivera. But he is here to sell the team to the fans win, lose, or draw.

Say what you want, there are ways to do that. You don't have to sell stale and expired peanuts or $14 beers. You could have made sure you were the best marketed NFL team by now even if you finish 7-10 or 8-9. The rebrand could have been flawless, not awkward and sleepy on the Today Show. Win or lose on the field, they still aren't winning off of it. 

I agree that they can never do enough reaching out to the community and appealing to fans, but if you want a consistent flow of fans into the stadium, with the costs, the traffic, the inconveniences post-game etc etc.....you have to make it worthwhile and while I am sure there are "gameday experience" aspects that help sweeten the deal, most fans want to see a product worth rooting for.  Every franchise has down years mixed in there, but once a fanbase considers the situation hopeless, it is hard to woo them in other ways.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah and the other thing people might overlook is for fans around my age that have kids, we've grown up most of our adult lives with this team being mediocre and our reactions and attitudes about the team likely reflect in our kids too because outside of an isolated season or game here or there, they watch our enthusiasm drop and in turn probably are less excited themselves too.   This is no longer a problem with only one specific generation of fans, it is infecting the next generation too.  

I told my daughter straight up she can chose whatever team she wants. She was born in Chicago so she tells me she's a Bears fan. She doesn't really care one way or another but Im not going to burden her or my son with this fandom.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Lions sold out their home opener. If they had half a brain they'd be politicking for Hard Knocks yesterday.

Or there are going to be a ton of Eagles fans there who took advantage of a stadium likely half full of Lions fans and scooped up tickets?  Hard to say until we see/hear the game on TV.

Dallas is a good example, damn near every one of their games the stadium is half full of visiting team fans.  Fed Ex has that issue as well except the half of the stadium that is supposed to be filled with Commanders fan.....isn't,

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I mean, they were winning games in2018 and fan attendance was still pretty poor. It’s more like, if you win (and can show you’re a playoff contender instead of a pretender) then people will show up to games.

Not as many people as when Snyder sells (either on his own or by force) though 

Part of it is terrible gameday experience too. It's usually ranked at the bottom if not the worst. Consistency is key when we are talking about winning.

Also while we may have had a good start to 2018, the team only won 3 home game.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Or there are going to be a ton of Eagles fans there who took advantage of a stadium likely half full of Lions fans and scooped up tickets?  Hard to say until we see/hear the game on TV.

Dallas is a good example, damn near every one of their games the stadium is half full of visiting team fans.  Fed Ex has that issue as well except the half of the stadium that is supposed to be filled with Commanders fan.....isn't,

I'm pretty sure it's a bunch of Lions fans that got whipped up into a frenzy. Philly fans are devoted but nobody wants to go to Detroit, not even Philadelphians.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

There’s only one way to change that, and that’s by winning games.  We HAVE to start the season off with a winning streak to get fans enthusiastic and willing to come back to the stadium. 

I'd add that not only do we need to win the first couple of games, but that we actually need to look good doing it. We've squeaked out many wins over the last decade while still looking like incompetent clowns due to worse clowning by the opponent.

We need to win AND look competent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I agree that they can never do enough reaching out to the community and appealing to fans, but if you want a consistent flow of fans into the stadium, with the costs, the traffic, the inconveniences post-game etc etc.....you have to make it worthwhile and while I am sure there are "gameday experience" aspects that help sweeten the deal, most fans want to see a product worth rooting for.  Every franchise has down years mixed in there, but once a fanbase considers the situation hopeless, it is hard to woo them in other ways.

Well, some of the things in your reply are in their control. They can control the costs. Nobody said tickets or concessions or parking had to be at the price point they have established. You want to fill the stadium and make Commanders games as a fall weekend event for DMV families? Reset your price point! You might lose some revenue for a few years, but we know Snyder makes plenty from the TV contracts and other sources.

Make games affordable and turn the atmosphere into something of a minor league baseball game with interactive activities for kids before, during, after the game, etc. I don't know what those activities are or what that price point is, but that would go a long way toward bringing fans back despite results. As people have pointed out...even a 6-3 start a few years ago didn't fill the stadium because the prices are too high to get in, to park, to eat, to drink, etc. (along with some things they CAN'T control right now like location and time of day). 

15 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well, some of the things in your reply are in their control. They can control the costs. Nobody said tickets or concessions or parking had to be at the price point they have established. You want to fill the stadium and make Commanders games as a fall weekend event for DMV families? Reset your price point! You might lose some revenue for a few years, but we know Snyder makes plenty from the TV contracts and other sources.

They'll point to a study like this to say, look, we're well below league average:

https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/sports/washington-commanders/commanders-games-cheaper-than-nfl-average

And again, give them credit for slashing club level prices. For the upper deck, I'm not sure how much you can lower them and still entice people at this point.

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

They'll point to a study like this to say, look, we're well below league average:

https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/sports/washington-commanders/commanders-games-cheaper-than-nfl-average

And again, give them credit for slashing club level prices. For the upper deck, I'm not sure how much you can lower them and still entice people at this point.

You're arguing something different than I am. You're arguing how they might justify not making drastic changes or how they might defend certain actions. I'm arguing things they could do if they truly cared about filling the stadium come hell or high water. It's obvious by now that filling the stadium/bringing back as many fans as humanly possible isn't their (Danny's) #1 priority. If it was, Wright would have been given no restrictions or parameters to that mission. 

I'm not even arguing that it should be their #1 priority...who knows what I would do if I owned a NFL team and made millions each year? I might be so disconnected from reality too and not really care who I pissed off. But, all I meant to convey was that if they really wanted to attract more fans on Sundays, they could sell beer for $1.50 and sell tickets for $25.