Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Another angle on this-- we all know that there's been a recent exodus of mid to high level management leaving Commanders park.

Could some of them be enticed to save themselves with immunity from prosecution (Danny surely didn't do this alone) by turning "state's evidence" now that they can see the ship is sinking fast?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

6 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Another angle on this-- we all know that there's been a recent exodus of mid to high level management leaving Commanders park.

Could some of them be enticed to save themselves with immunity from prosecution (Danny surely didn't do this alone) by turning "state's evidence" now that they can see the ship is sinking fast?

This is not criminal. There might be ancillary IRS issues, but this is breach of contract with his NFL partners. The remedy is handled by the league and not the courts per their agreement. 

14 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is not criminal. There might be ancillary IRS issues, but this is breach of contract with his NFL partners. The remedy is handled by the league and not the courts per their agreement. 

Your point is well taken SCS.

However, until we know the specifics of the alleged malfeasance and the mechanisms used to accomplish it we can't be sure who if anyone is in jeopardy.

If they were actually hiding taxable income rather than simply representing that it came from "source a" rather than "source b" heads (other than just Snyder's) will roll.

We also don't know where tge investigation will lead. Will there be evidence of other, perhaps more serious, financial misdeeds?

Far too early to know for sure though.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

4 minutes ago, fullnelson9999 said:

Perhaps the NFL should be conducting effective investigations.

Comments like these are confusing.

If the NFL can't conduct an effective investigation into an owner potentially stealing money from them; then that's their problem.   

Congress should not be investigating Dan's ticket sales.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 5

I wasn't  going to come on here today, but I'm glad I did before going to sleep. 

I really hope this is true...please please please be true!!!! I am a little too excited right now.

I have to keep myself in check or I will be severely crushed if this turns out to be crap.

Washington fans need this. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

If the NFL can't conduct an effective investigation into an owner potentially stealing money from them; then that's their problem.   

"Because I said so" isn't very convincing.

Your virtue signaling has been noted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I was wondering if this should be something Congress should be involved in as well...I guess the whole antitrust legislation/NFL lobbying aspect more or less gives Congress leeway to take up any concerns they feel are warranted, though. I think without the toxic workplace issues, the ticket sales issue wouldn't register on Congress' radar too heavily.

Separate from who the source is, here's my pet theory for why Congress is taking such an interest in this:

Jeff Bezos is pushing it. Here's my case. Bezos bought a big mansion in DC recently, he bought the Washington Post, Amazon HQ2 is in the DMV, who knows what political agendas he may have - point is he has motivations to be here in a more fixed / permanent way. We also know he's interested in owning an NFL team. Washington makes a lot more sense for Bezos than Denver, which will probably go to Robert Smith, who would be the first black NFL owner and was also born in Denver and has a home there.

Okay so Washington makes the most sense for Jeff, but obviously there's the Snyder problem. The solution? Lean on whichever politicians he's paid for in Congress to turn up the heat until he can force a sale. Lord knows there are enough people out there motivated to bring down Dan who would have dirt on him. And lo and behold look at what we're seeing...

My theory is this ends with Bezos buying the team.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jason wouldn’t want to know and they wouldn’t let him in on it. It’s 100% Bruce. 

Poor Ron is going to get fired twice because of a forced ownership change.

Never thought I'd see the day where we'd all be rooting for Bruce Allen.  

If I knew where to ship it, I'd send him a case of Coors Light.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm skeptical that it's coming from Bruce because 1) he's a Republican and the Republicans came out with a partisan statement against the investigation, and 2) if this is about cooking the books then Bruce was probably in on it and would be implicated.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Don’t forget the toothbrush! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Separate from who the source is, here's my pet theory for why Congress is taking such an interest in this:

Jeff Bezos is pushing it. Here's my case. Bezos bought a big mansion in DC recently, he bought the Washington Post, Amazon HQ2 is in the DMV, who knows what political agendas he may have - point is he has motivations to be here in a more fixed / permanent way. We also know he's interested in owning an NFL team. Washington makes a lot more sense for Bezos than Denver, which will probably go to Robert Smith, who would be the first black NFL owner and was also born in Denver and has a home there.

Okay so Washington makes the most sense for Jeff, but obviously there's the Snyder problem. The solution? Lean on whichever politicians he's paid for in Congress to turn up the heat until he can force a sale. Lord knows there are enough people out there motivated to bring down Dan who would have dirt on him. And lo and behold look at what we're seeing...

My theory is this ends with Bezos buying the team.

My friend has this theory, too.  I'm 50/50 on it.

I mean, it makes a lot of sense from a few perspectives.  He owns the WaPo, too, and he can use that as a way to have journalists dig and dig and keep digging until Snyder is gone.  

But also, he's the richest guy in the world.  I mean, he could hand Snyder a blank check and tell him to pick a number and he'd be able to buy the team.  Snyder would be stupid not to, it would also simultaneously boost the value of all the other franchise and the NFL on the whole.  

Also, he doesn't need to be here in a more permanent way....as if the house, the Post and HQ2 aren't already enough permanent things to keep him here.  It's not like owning the team would put him over the top, there's already plenty enough here.  

If we're into conspiracy theories (and I have to admit, they are fun), Congress is taking an interest in this because...well, they like making an example out of someone every so often, while at the same time avoiding the rules/laws they're trying to flex on.  If Dan is keeping two separate sets of books, of course the government (IRS) is going to have an interest.  If Snyder has presided over a ****ty culture that's been abusive to women at a rate that can't be ignored, lawmakers are going to want to make an example out of him.  

At any rate, Bezos could roll out of bed tomorrow and buy the team if he wanted to.  He could buy ANY team if he wanted to, and for a guy like that who's building space rockets and ****, it doesn't matter where in the country his team is located.  Guys that are that rich aren't concerned with geography, they've got a private plane and can be anywhere in the States in a few hours, no problem.  Of course the Commies make the most sense for him, this is true.

But if that's the case, why the subterfuge?  Why use shady backroom deals to have members of Congress lean on Snyder?  Why not just roll up to Snyder with that blank check?  Or go to Goodell himself and be like "Hey, I want to buy the Commanders, help me convince Dan to sell it to me."  Goodell would do it, he'd have the best interest of the league in mind to kick out an owner who no one likes and has run a storied franchise into the ground and replace that guy with the richest man in the world.  

I dunno.  I think Bezos probably has an interest in purchasing the team, I'm just not sure why he'd have to resort to these tactics.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

My friend has this theory, too.  I'm 50/50 on it.

I mean, it makes a lot of sense from a few perspectives.  He owns the WaPo, too, and he can use that as a way to have journalists dig and dig and keep digging until Snyder is gone.  

But also, he's the richest guy in the world.  I mean, he could hand Snyder a blank check and tell him to pick a number and he'd be able to buy the team.  Snyder would be stupid not to, it would also simultaneously boost the value of all the other franchise and the NFL on the whole.  

Also, he doesn't need to be here in a more permanent way....as if the house, the Post and HQ2 aren't already enough permanent things to keep him here.  It's not like owning the team would put him over the top, there's already plenty enough here.  

If we're into conspiracy theories (and I have to admit, they are fun), Congress is taking an interest in this because...well, they like making an example out of someone every so often, while at the same time avoiding the rules/laws they're trying to flex on.  If Dan is keeping two separate sets of books, of course the government (IRS) is going to have an interest.  If Snyder has presided over a ****ty culture that's been abusive to women at a rate that can't be ignored, lawmakers are going to want to make an example out of him.  

At any rate, Bezos could roll out of bed tomorrow and buy the team if he wanted to.  He could buy ANY team if he wanted to, and for a guy like that who's building space rockets and ****, it doesn't matter where in the country his team is located.  Guys that are that rich aren't concerned with geography, they've got a private plane and can be anywhere in the States in a few hours, no problem.  Of course the Commies make the most sense for him, this is true.

But if that's the case, why the subterfuge?  Why use shady backroom deals to have members of Congress lean on Snyder?  Why not just roll up to Snyder with that blank check?  Or go to Goodell himself and be like "Hey, I want to buy the Commanders, help me convince Dan to sell it to me."  Goodell would do it, he'd have the best interest of the league in mind to kick out an owner who no one likes and has run a storied franchise into the ground and replace that guy with the richest man in the world.  

I dunno.  I think Bezos probably has an interest in purchasing the team, I'm just not sure why he'd have to resort to these tactics.

Re: the blank check question - I used to run New Business for an A-list celebrity. In fact, they were on the Oscars telecast last week (no it wasn't Will or Chris). They were one of the cheapest people out there. A lot of very wealthy people can be quite cheap even as they spend tons of money and live super lavish lifestyles. The point being: just because Bezos can make Danny Boy an offer he can't refuse doesn't mean he wants to go that way. After all, it would be way more fun to get him kicked out and buy the team for cheaper than grossly overpay, right? Plus it's technically possible that there's no realistic price at which Dan would sell. What else does he have in life? This has been the chief part of his identity for over two decades.

The IRS would/will get involved if Dan did anything illegal with his taxes, but it could technically be possible that the team reported the right numbers to the IRS but the wrong numbers to the League for its profit-sharing.

I think the sources are probably the other minority owners that got coerced into selling. I imagine they would have known. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I'm skeptical that it's coming from Bruce because 1) he's a Republican and the Republicans came out with a partisan statement against the investigation, and 2) if this is about cooking the books then Bruce was probably in on it and would be implicated.

Eh, meh.  If Bruce's ass is chapped enough, he could set the party line aside.  

But you are right, if it's about cooking the books then he could be implicated.  But let's look at what's happened, Bruce has been out of a job in the NFL for coming up on three years now.  He's essentially finished and he has nothing to lose.  If what you suggested in your previous post is true (Bezos, Congress, etc) then perhaps Allen already worked out a deal for immunity in whatever investigation is coming down.

From that perspective, the timing makes sense.  He's fired in 2019, sits around to see if anyone comes calling and...no one's come calling in two years.  So...he figures, well, ****it, I've got nothing to lose and I don't like how I was shown the door in Washington, so....here I go.

Petty?  Sure.  ****ing awesome?  Hell yes.  If it's true and it's all coming from Bruce...I mean, Snyder's pissed off countless people over the years and he didn't understand that he couldn't piss off the one guy that knew all his secrets?  You don't **** with the guy who knows where all your bodies are buried.  

• Like 1

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Eh, meh.  If Bruce's ass is chapped enough, he could set the party line aside.  

But you are right, if it's about cooking the books then he could be implicated.  But let's look at what's happened, Bruce has been out of a job in the NFL for coming up on three years now.  He's essentially finished and he has nothing to lose.  If what you suggested in your previous post is true (Bezos, Congress, etc) then perhaps Allen already worked out a deal for immunity in whatever investigation is coming down.

From that perspective, the timing makes sense.  He's fired in 2019, sits around to see if anyone comes calling and...no one's come calling in two years.  So...he figures, well, ****it, I've got nothing to lose and I don't like how I was shown the door in Washington, so....here I go.

Petty?  Sure.  ****ing awesome?  Hell yes.  If it's true and it's all coming from Bruce...I mean, Snyder's pissed off countless people over the years and he didn't understand that he couldn't piss off the one guy that knew all his secrets?  You don't **** with the guy who knows where all your bodies are buried.  

I definitely think Bruce is a prime candidate. And to your point, I don't think the party affiliation is the biggest thing, especially because many of the biggest political conflicts are within parties, anyway. So maybe he isn't tight with the GOP House reps closest to the investigation, or maybe he is but Dan's even closer with them. Who knows.

In my opinion, the most likely sources of the leaks are the ex-minority owners who got kicked out and the second most likely source is Bruce Allen.   

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Re: the blank check question - I used to run New Business for an A-list celebrity. In fact, they were on the Oscars telecast last week (no it wasn't Will or Chris). They were one of the cheapest people out there. A lot of very wealthy people can be quite cheap even as they spend tons of money and live super lavish lifestyles. The point being: just because Bezos can make Danny Boy an offer he can't refuse doesn't mean he wants to go that way. After all, it would be way more fun to get him kicked out and buy the team for cheaper than grossly overpay, right? Plus it's technically possible that there's no realistic price at which Dan would sell. What else does he have in life? This has been the chief part of his identity for over two decades.

The IRS would/will get involved if Dan did anything illegal with his taxes, but it could technically be possible that the team reported the right numbers to the IRS but the wrong numbers to the League for its profit-sharing.

I think the sources are probably the other minority owners that got coerced into selling. I imagine they would have known. 

This is true, some of the wealthiest can be some of the stingiest.  And quite frankly, I don't know enough about Bezos to know if he's that kind of guy or not.  

More fun to get him kicked out of the league?  I mean, it's certainly more fun for US to see it happen, I'm not sure if Bezos is finding some joy in all of this...maybe he is, maybe he isn't.  And sure, it'd be nicer for him to buy the team at a cheaper rate, too.  

Maybe there is no price that Dan would sell but if Bezos came calling with a blank check, he could take that money and set himself up quite nicely for the rest of his life with it.  Generational wealth.  You're right, he doesn't have anything else in his life since he **** all over Johnny Rockets and Six Flags.  And he's **** all over this, too.  So he could take that money and go away and live a quiet life somewhere, golf every day, do whatever ultra wealthy people do...or try to purchase or start some businesses that would fail under his management.  Either way, he'd no longer be the owner of the team and that's all we really care about. 

My point is that if it's true that Bezos REALLY wanted a team, he'd have one by now.  

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I definitely think Bruce is a prime candidate. And to your point, I don't think the party affiliation is the biggest thing, especially because many of the biggest political conflicts are within parties, anyway. So maybe he isn't tight with the GOP House reps closest to the investigation, or maybe he is but Dan's even closer with them. Who knows.

In my opinion, the most likely sources of the leaks are the ex-minority owners who got kicked out and the second most likely source is Bruce Allen.   

Great call on the ex-minority owners.  I think Bruce seems to be the most thought-of candidate for the leaks because he was front and center and recognizable for so many years but it's clear the ex-minority owners hate Snyder, too.  

Either way, I'd like to buy anyone who's leaked anything a beer or five.  :)