Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TV Alert: Super Bowl XXII

SkinsGuy

4 hours ago, Theismann07 said:

Airing now. Where the hell did the past 32 years ago?? Seems like yesterday that I was sitting in my college apartment watching this game. 

You and me both....I remember powering through 5 beers in the 2nd qtr alone. What a day that was....glory days.

18 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

You and me both....I remember powering through 5 beers in the 2nd qtr alone. What a day that was....glory days.

The interesting thing was the Redskins weren't marching up and down the field with long drives of precision offense in the second quarter.

It was like five or six explosive plays that just tore the game open for Washington.

A great day for sure. :815:

10 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

The interesting thing was the Redskins weren't marching up and down the field with long drives of precision offense in the second quarter.

It was like five or six explosive plays that just tore the game open for Washington.

A great day for sure. :815:

And everyone got involved.....I remember on the one TD in the 2nd qtr calling the TD for Didier. It's like Gibbs found a way to get most all of them a TD. Only Monk didn't get in that day, all the other guys did. 

I watched it this morning for the first time since it aired live. A couple of things that I picked up on or just completely forgot about over the years.

-Monk being injured in the playoffs and not announced as a starter in pre-game introductions (both offenses were introduced). Conversely George Rogers was introduced as a starter even though Timmy Smith started.

-the referee mistakenly looking at Joe Jacoby twice at the coin toss and calling him Dave Butz as Butz was the one to call heads or tails. Butz had to take a step to the ref as he was behind him as he was looking at Jacoby.

-of course I remembered being down 10-0 but didn't realize how badly we played in the 1st qtr. Lucky we were only down 10 and recovered our own fumble on the kickoff after going down 10. I don't recall a team going from playing so poorly to so dominate so quickly. 

-the drops by the receivers. Clark, Sanders and Kelvin Bryant jeez. I think half of Doug's incompletions were just bad drops.

-the voices of Al, Dan and Frank together bring back great memories

3 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

-the voices of Al, Dan and Frank together bring back great memories

Yeah, they were awesome together weren't they.

The quote in my sig comes from that game. Near the end of the second quarter when the stats are flashed up on the screen. You can actually here the crowd gasp in the background as the coms are talking.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:34 PM, Redskin21502 said:

-Monk being injured in the playoffs and not announced as a starter in pre-game introductions (both offenses were introduced). Conversely George Rogers was introduced as a starter even though Timmy Smith started.

So our best or #1 WR, and QB, and RB were all out for the game.

Oddsmakers probably looked at that and predicted WE would lose 42-10...or worse.

So, not only did Gibbs win SB's with 3 different QB's, he also did it with 3 backups on the Offense's 3 Most Skill positions.

He also did it on pretty short notice about players being out.

When you consider all that, it's no wonder he was also successful with the scab teams, even against teams with great players crossing the Picket Line on Strike, on a Monday Night game.

I think Joe could almost create a SB team, consisting entirely of waiver wire pickups

Archived