Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Games of the XXXII Olympiad - Tokyo Japan - What Was Your Favorite Olympics Moment?

PleaseBlitz

Also, I think she might have pushed through it if it was her individual medals at stake.  It takes tremendous bravery to recognize that you're hurting the team more than helping in your present state and to sit herself down to let an alternate take a crack at it.

• Like 4

Well, the local NBC provider cut its power again. No Indy 500 for me last time, no more Olympics for me this time. All the streaming services require a subscription to the cable providers that don't run lines down my street. Thanks for nothing, NBC. 🤬

Edited by NickyJ

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Well, the local NBC provider cut its power again. No Indy 500 for me last time, no more Olympics for me this time. All the streaming services require a subscription to the cable providers that don't run lines down my street. Thanks for nothing, NBC. 🤬

Get the Pea**** app.  Works for us and we don’t have a cable provider subscription.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

From what I saw, they don't cover what they allocated to broadcast TV, the swim meets.

Could be.  The stuff I’ve been watching hasn’t been on TV.  I know they have been showing a lot of the swim meets.  And you can replay stuff that has already happened if that interests you.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

From what I saw, they don't cover what they allocated to broadcast TV, the swim meets.

You could sign up for youtube TV for just the duration of the Olympics.  That gets you access to the NBC app, which should have everything

• Like 1

Biles has to be going through something tough.  I don't think it's physical as she doesn't seem like the type to let a physical issue slow her down.  Probably something personal going on for her.  I feel sorry for her, particularly since whatever she is going through, she has to do it with such an intense spotlight on her.  Sucks, this could have been a triumphant moment for her.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Hulu TV isn’t super cheap, but it would give you access to the NBC Olympics app for streaming all the events.  You don’t need a traditional cable provider to use it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Biles has to be going through something tough.  I don't think it's physical as she doesn't seem like the type to let a physical issue slow her down.  Probably something personal going on for her.  I feel sorry for her, particularly since whatever she is going through, she has to do it with such an intense spotlight on her.  Sucks, this could have been a triumphant moment for her.

It’s what she signed up for. At this level you should be expected to perform. She let her team mates down because she chose to make a decision that was all about her.

She stole someone else’s opportunity.

I don’t feel sorry for her. If she didn’t want the spotlight she shouldn’t have worked so hard to take it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It’s what she signed up for. At this level you should be expected to perform. She let her team mates down because she chose to make a decision that was all about her.

I don’t feel sorry for her. If she didn’t want the spotlight she shouldn’t have worked so hard to take it.

I'm gonna decide not to get banned even though this is a take that is so ****ing horrible it warrants a lot of criticism. 

• Thanks 9

25 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  And you deserve far worse than what I just wrote but whatever.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

She didn't steal someone else's opportunity. Jordan Chiles finished the routines. The USA team had 4 performers in every stage of the team competitions, and Biles expects to be back in time for the individual competitions.

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

She didn't steal someone else's opportunity. Jordan Chiles finished the routines. The USA team had 4 performers in every stage of the team competitions, and Biles expects to be back in time for the individual competitions.

What about the person who didn’t make the team because Biles chose to compete when her mind wasn’t in it?

She isn’t a college student attempting to compete for the first time. This isn’t her first Olympics. She knew what the pressure was like. She made her choices. She is a grown up.

For me, the fact that she left her team high and dry while she will be “ready” for the individual competition makes it even worse.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

38 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Wow.  

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

What about the person who didn’t make the team because Biles chose to compete when her mind wasn’t in it?

Considering Biles is going to do the individuals, that was going to be a spot taken by Biles no matter who competed in the teams competition. Chiles would have been the 4th member of the team's competition.

Edited by NickyJ

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

So she was supposed to know back during US qualifying that she would be unable to press forward in the medal round of the team event and thus withdraw herself from consideration????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So she was supposed to know back during US qualifying that she would be unable to press forward in the medal round of the team event and thus withdraw herself from consideration????

In a word, yes. This isn’t her first rodeo. Everyone there is under immense pressure, she isn’t special in that regard. 

If Tom Brady took himself out of the super bowl because he wasn’t in the “right headspace” everyone would have the same reaction I have with her.

I don’t know why a woman deserves special consideration...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

In a word, yes. This isn’t her first rodeo. Everyone there is under immense pressure, she isn’t special in that regard. 

Yes, shame on her for not being able to see the future.  Heck, she probably should never have picked up gymnastics to begin with and saved us all the trouble.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Yes, shame on her for not being able to see the future.  Heck, she probably should never have picked up gymnastics to begin with and saved us all the trouble.

If this was her first competition on a world stage or in the Olympics I would be more sympathetic. She is supposed to be a professional. Sometimes you have to suck it up.

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

If this was her first completion on a world stage I would be more sympathetic. She is supposed to be a professional. Sometimes you have to suck it up.

After realizing that she just wasn't in the right frame of mind to press forward, she was left with a set of very bad options.  She could've pressed forward (risking serious injury in the process), turned in three more poor routines, dragged down the whole team and possibly cost the team a shot at any medal at all.  Or she could recognize that she will simply hurt the team by forcing herself through the competition, own up to it and step aside to give the team the best shot, even at the expense of taking flack from people like you.

You seem to be laboring under the mistaken impression that these type of mental episode is something she can just suck up and move past.  That's terribly naive and tragically inaccurate.  Imagine you're scheduled for surgery and the surgeon has a panic attack right before surgery.  Would you want your doctor to own up to the inability to press forward with surgery and provide a best alternative by arranging for another surgeon or would you want your surgeon to try to suck it up, be a pro, and perform the surgery anyway?  Or maybe you'd rather that the doctor foresaw the future and never went to medical school to begin with.

• Like 1