Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Kirk Douglas

88Comrade2000

RIP Kirk Douglas. While he’s more known for the Spartacus line, he really kicked ass in Paths of Glory. One of the best films ever made IMO. It was an amazing role and he played it perfectly. IIRC, I think that was the film that really started his career. If you ever get a chance, you should watch it.

a good time, if dated, is the political thriller from the 50's/60's he starred in with a great ensemble cast----seven days in may

good book too

he really was a talented actor, lots of meaty roles, and certainly prolific---liked his lighter stuff too...lot of fun westerns of the day, like war wagon with john wayne

i stayed out of two i think recent "i'm dead" threads...neil peart was one...just wears on me sometimes...every now and then i'll think of how much of an amputation it will feel like if i'm alive when the last beatle dies...

rip mr. hollywood

32 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

RIP Kirk Douglas. While he’s more known for the Spartacus line, he really kicked ass in Paths of Glory. One of the best films ever made IMO. It was an amazing role and he played it perfectly. IIRC, I think that was the film that really started his career. If you ever get a chance, you should watch it.

Yep, one of my favorites that I always recommend.  That movie always gets an emotional response out of me - anger.

i remembered this to add  (also plug two more movies---"champion" and "lonely are the brave")

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kirk-douglas-helped-end-hollywood-blacklist-he-wasn-t-alone-n1131256

Kirk Douglas helped end the Hollywood blacklist, but he wasn't alone.

He and director Otto Preminger gave barred screenwriter Dalton Trumbo credit for their respective 1960 movies, "Spartacus" and "Exodus."

Douglas worked to have the screenwriter Dalton Trumbo credited for the 1960 film "Spartacus," in which Douglas starred.

Trumbo was a member of the Hollywood Ten, a group of writers and directors cited for contempt of Congress for refusing to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee.

Trumbo was involved in two films that year, "Spartacus," which came out in October, and "Exodus," directed by Preminger and released in December. Preminger told The New York Times in January 1960 that Trumbo was involved in his movie.

Archived