Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

TK

For Immediate Release

August 11, 2019

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

RICHMOND, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster moves:

The Redskins signed the following free agents:

QB Jalan McClendon

DB Dejuan Neal

LB Darrell Williams

The Redskins waived the following player designated as injured:

LB Garrett Sickels

The Redskins waived the following player:

WR T.J. Rahming

The Redskins placed the following players on their Reserve/Injured list:

QB Josh Woodrum

3 minutes ago, carex said:

why does Woodrum qualify as going straight to IR rather than waived/injured?

Team decided to keep him.  I guess they saw enough potential they wanted to take a look next off season, especially since he probably can go to the practice squad next year if he is still around.

42 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

Team decided to keep him.  I guess they saw enough potential they wanted to take a look next off season, especially since he probably can go to the practice squad next year if he is still around.

I specifically said "qualify" because as far as I know in training camp there's a waived/injured thing that had to happen to go to IR

1 hour ago, carex said:

I specifically said "qualify" because as far as I know in training camp there's a waived/injured thing that had to happen to go to IR

I believe they changed the rule last year.  Non-vested players no-longer have to clear waivers to go on IR prior to the season.  

1 hour ago, carex said:

they did it with Dunn though

I think it's just a matter of preference. There used to be rules on non-vested veterans as people have mentioned on this thread. You couldn't send younger players straight to IR until roster cut downs happened. But they did change the rules recently and a team can send a younger player straight to IR. The question is if the team wants to. And that's largely a function of: (1) how much the team wants to retain the player; and (2) how injured the player is. If the team doesn't really care that much about losing the player, then usually the player is waived/injured. It technically gives every other team the option of claiming the player. If anyone does, they have to take on the salary. Most of the time, teams don't want to take on injured. players But sometimes it happens, like when the team lost Tevin Mitchell. There are also rules on how injured some is before they can be placed on IR. So minor injuries wouldn't be eligible for IR

In this case, it seems the team doesn't really care about Dunn (kind of surprising since he made the 53 last year and you see the level of play of players remaining), but does want to keep Woodrum (also surprising since he seems to suck)

4 minutes ago, carex said:

Dunn reverted to IR

Correct. Any waived/injured player that is not claimed reverts to IR. Often times teams reach injury settlements with said players and then release them as otherwise they'd have to pay the players full salary for the year.

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I hope not.  I don’t want to talk about RG3 anymore at all.

Go with me on this one:

1)  Next year we play the Browns.
2)  RGIII sucked on the Browns.
3)  He made them lose.
4)  Hopefully we beat the Browns next year.
5)  No pressure no diamonds.

Archived