Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

****ing finally.  Mullins with the tone setter on the first pitch in the bottom of the first.  

What a season that guy is having.  He's been slumping for a little bit but hopefully he can catch fire the rest of the way.  

Great to get a win last night.  Maybe they won't be as terrible in September.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Kicking the holy **** out of the Angels today.  Tacked on 5 in the 8th inning just now.

Would like to see them take two from Tampa.  

Totally forgot they played early today.  Working though so couldn't watch.  

Severino with a grand slam ... nice.   I'm thinking he might stick around as a backup next year, as we don't have any other options. 

Urias is emerging as a legit middle infielder.  

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Severino with a grand slam ... nice.   I'm thinking he might stick around as a backup next year, as we don't have any other options. 

I think Urias might be the second most pleasant surprise this year after Mullins.  Unless you're surprised by Means, then Urias is 3rd :)

Severino can hit a little bit but IMO his defense is terrible.  Passed balls all over the place.  It's a shame because he seems like a good dude, good teammate.  But I'd rather have a good defender as the backup catcher and that's not Severino.  

6 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I get that fans looks for hope but no to both. Neither is good defensively and no reason to pay Pedro for a backup spot. 
Urias might be a placeholder cause he makes the minimum. 

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I get that fans looks for hope but no to both. Neither is good defensively and no reason to pay Pedro for a backup spot. 
Urias might be a placeholder cause he makes the minimum. 

Point taken on Severino, although I think he is slightly above replacement even with his subpar defense, and if we don't resign him then we have to find another catcher to go along to Rutschmann.  Wynns has hit at a Chris Davis level and the references I'm seeing suggest he is not a plus defender.   

I think Urias is definitely worth keeping.  Infield has been a disaster this season outside of Mountcastle/Mancini combo at 1B, and Galvis, who got hurt.  I suspect we won't make a big play in FA, and people get hurt as well.   Our pitching has been a disaster, but our offense has also been near the bottom of the AL, especially as of late and a big reason is  because the middle/bottom of the order couldn't hit.   So I'll take Urias's bat and baserunning speed and his below average defense, if you buy into FanGraphs (bbRef has him as an average defender)

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Took two of three from the Yanks in NY. 

Eat &$*@ Yankee fans !

Yup.  There are only three good things to being this bad and playing out the string in a season that was over by mid-May:

*Paying $7 for nosebleeder seats on the secondary market and sitting 5 rows behind the dugout because there's nobody there and even the ushers don't care anymore.

*Looking forward to a top pick in next year's draft.

*Playing spoiler to pompous blowhard teams like the Yankees and Nationals, who were expecting an easy series and a clean sweep.  

• Like 1

I saw the replay of the wild pitch in the 9th. Catchers going down on a knee with a runner on third is so dumb. He easily catches that ball in a regular crouch. Honestly, I'd rather see the Sox miss the playoffs than the Yanks. If it's between those two.