Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

Just now, carex said:

they had pencilled him in at starting tackle spots.  That does not encourage the experimentation of moving him to guard

At first sure but when it is obvious that he cant be successful at tackle do you still release him despite seeing potential at guard?

Two teams?

Maybe we have the right chemistry, maybe we have the right coaches, who knows, but one thing I do know for sure we wont be the first team to consider he may have more to offer at guard than tackle.

4 minutes ago, carex said:

the man never even lost his starting job while he was on rosters

they had pencilled him in at starting tackle spots.  That does not encourage the experimentation of moving him to guard

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2800180-jaguars-sign-ex-giants-ol-ereck-flowers-to-reported-1-year-contract

Jags brought him in as a backup tackle after injury, week 6 last year.  While they could have practiced with him at guard, that wasn't the intent and I can't speak to their need there.  With an offseason to work, hopefully he can transition.

Also, while I get people have concerns with his abilities, I'm pulling for this to work out.  If we could have Scherrf at RG, Flowers do well at LG, Collins playing S who they supposedly traded up to get.  Well, that would make me happy.  Cause **** Mara.

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

At first sure but when it is obvious that he cant be successful at tackle do you still release him despite seeing potential at guard?

Two teams?

Maybe we have the right chemistry, maybe we have the right coaches, who knows, but one thing I do know for sure we wont be the first team to consider he may have more to offer at guard than tackle.

Right on man..I think you have been pin point your past two post's 👍👍

The Flowers signing I like. Shows some creativity on the FO part. Plenty of guys who fail at tackle go on to have successful careers at guard. He’s 24 with some obvious talent. If coach Callahan can coach up god knows who was even playing guard last year, wouldn’t put it past him to coach up a former top ten pick. If he sucks, cut him. The only way it’s a problem is if they rely on him to be THE answer. But have little doubt we’ll be drafting some big boys up front this year. 

My 2 cents on Flowers.

1. That's too much money for a project. I don't know if other teams were in on him as well but i can't imagine there was much of a bidding war. I would not be surprised if we were essentially bidding against ourselves.

2. That's probably too big a deal to give to someone you project just as a backup. They must be hoping he can start (he has playing time incentives as part of the deal) - and that would be at LG.

3. One of the things I have noticed about Flowers is he tends to play high and the bend from the waist. Thats a no no at G. I'm also not sure how aggressive/nasty he is - you need to like contact playing interior O'Line. 

Like most things in life if it works out its great! But he has a lot of work to do and he's not been noted for his work ethic since he got to the NFL.

1 minute ago, HardcoreZorn said:

The Flowers signing I like. Shows some creativity on the FO part. Plenty of guys who fail at tackle go on to have successful careers at guard. He’s 24 with some obvious talent. If coach Callahan can coach up god knows who was even playing guard last year, wouldn’t put it past him to coach up a former top ten pick. If he sucks, cut him. The only way it’s a problem is if they rely on him to be THE answer. But have little doubt we’ll be drafting some big boys up front this year. 

Apparently after they signed Flowers, Bruce and Doug erased every single offensive guard off their draft board because they realized they didn't need to draft one now lol...

16 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Two teams?

Jags didn't release him they only signed him to a 1 year deal, we have no idea if they wanted him back. 

As I posted he was signed week 6 by them to be a backup tackle due to injury.  So who knows if they even thought about it based on needs (I don't know how their Guard play is/was)

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

My 2 cents on Flowers.

1. That's too much money for a project. I don't know if other teams were in on him as well but i can't imagine there was much of a bidding war. I would not be surprised if we were essentially bidding against ourselves.

2. That's probably too big a deal to give to someone you project just as a backup. They must be hoping he can start (he has playing time incentives as part of the deal) - and that would be at LG.

How much do backup OLinemen make who have starting experience? I'd go look but it would mean I'd have to blow off work even more than I already am lol...

If I remember correctly the few times quick came in to play he contributed..I'll go back and watch some YouTube after this lol,with #oneyearhe'llbreakoutdoctson and a big question mark with p rich aaaand Crowder to the Jets one has to wonder if they a.realy have a plan to get a "good" wr in fa  or b.will use the 15 pick on the best wr/te available..I'm leaning towards drafting a weapon for gruden for offense.

It just hit me.. with all the hoopla that's going on about gruden not happy with the front office by not communicating with him and consulting with him about free agent signings I am left at believing and this is just my gut feeling putting everything together I've read I'm coming away with gruden is frustrated he hasn't been able to pick something to help the offense..so I believe they'll let gruden get his guy in the draft rather it's trading, staying put, qb, wr or te and everyone will be happy and 15-1 and HTTR go skins!

18 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2800180-jaguars-sign-ex-giants-ol-ereck-flowers-to-reported-1-year-contract

Jags brought him in as a backup tackle after injury, week 6 last year.  While they could have practiced with him at guard, that wasn't the intent and I can't speak to their need there.  With an offseason to work, hopefully he can transition.

Also, while I get people have concerns with his abilities, I'm pulling for this to work out.  If we could have Scherrf at RG, Flowers do well at LG, Collins playing S who they supposedly traded up to get.  Well, that would make me happy.  Cause **** Mara.

well he ended up starting seven games for them

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

How much do backup OLinemen make who have starting experience? I'd go look but it would mean I'd have to blow off work even more than I already am lol...

I would assume a lot of backups on well run teams are still on their rookie deals and so dirt cheap (relatively). TTy Nsekhe was on just under $3M a year though last season so I guess this deal is comparable to that. By Ty could actually play ...

34 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Don't know how much stock anyone puts into PFF's grades, but in case it wasn't shown yet n the thread, here are their grades from last year:

Looks like there are some questioning whether the transition goes well.  I'd be perfectly ok with it except for hating losing a 6th rounder for it.  Read somewhere the DRC cancels a pick, too?  Does anyone know if that's so?  If it works out, cool.  I have no feel for it or have a strong opinion on it myself for now.  I have watched most of his Giants game and him stinking is no hyperbole.  But he seems like he has the right body for guard.  Will see.

I would assume a lot of backups on well run teams are still on their rookie deals and so dirt cheap (relatively). TTy Nsekhe was on just under $3M a year though last season so I guess this deal is comparable to that. By Ty could actually play ...

Yeah, but rookies don't have starting experience (one of the qualifiers of my question lol)...

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

3. One of the things I have noticed about Flowers is he tends to play high and the bend from the waist. Thats a no no at G. I'm also not sure how aggressive/nasty he is - you need to like contact playing interior O'Line. 

Like most things in life if it works out its great! But he has a lot of work to do and he's not been noted for his work ethic since he got to the NFL.

I appreciate your enthusiasm on the chance the skins took on him.. I would most certainly say he is a project to work with.. and that's extremely concerning what you pointed out about him playing high and bends from the waist. hopefully this is something that Callahan can coach up and scherff can help with..I just think of the players who came in and substituted and maybe I'm wrong but I thought they were more successful than not. I truly believe in Callahan.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like there are some questioning whether the transition goes well.  I'd be perfectly ok with it except for hate losing a 6th rounder for it.  Read somewhere the DRC cancels a pick, too?  Does anyone know if that's so?

Being an emergency OT probably plays a role in things as well...if he makes the team, that is. And yeah, Garcon was a 6th round compensatory pick, so would love to not lose that as well.

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm on the chance the skins took on him.. 

I am not very enthusiastic on this one. It's a flyer IMO.

I will say I feel better about him being the swing tackle than Geron Christian, but thats a low low bar. 

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Yaaa that above clip is ugly.. ****ty ass hand work!..that's coachable tho..#incallahanwetrust

You have to willing to be coached and prepared to work base donn that coaching. That's not been Flowers MO since he hit the NFL.

Just now, MartinC said:

I am not very enthusiastic on this one. It's a flyer IMO.

I will say I feel better about him being the swing tackle than Geron Christian, but thats a low low bar. 

Yep I worded that wrong..I could tell you weren't to enthused about the signing lol

Ty does

I was wondering about other backup OLinemen around the league...just for comparison sake. I don't know the names of any backups along other teams' OLine and searching depth charts takes up time lol...as of now, though, Flowers will make $3M if he makes the team. If he actually is on the active roster he gets more, and if he gets a certain amount of playing time he gets even more. So guessing they are comfortable paying their backup OT $3M, whether it be Flowers or Nsekhe...

10 minutes ago, carex said:

well he ended up starting seven games for them

Yes, as a tackle.  So the need was there and not G.  That's my point.  Why would they try him at guard when he was brought in to help at tackle? 

Giants were the only team that cut him instead of trying him at guard.  For what the skins are trying (supposedly), only one team cut him before trying IMO. 

Archived