Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I really think we are in deep **** here...

Yep. I hate to say it - it's my loss - but I'm back to not watching until they get it together. Not because I'm a fairweather fan, I'm still checking the score regularly, but I have anger and depression issues I've sought counseling for and am working to control and don't want to set something off watching a magical season catch a flat right at the end. I'm going to spoiler the rest of this post because it's personal stuff and not relevant to anyone who has zero investment in my life. 

Spoiler

Luckily for me, I've recently started a student teaching assignment and I'm 4 months from my credential, so I've got something to keep my mind busy if it all goes down in flames and I've only got the Case Keenum-led Redskins (shudder) to follow in early October. 

I kind of feel bad because I wrote this really long, personal post on the Nats subreddit about how much this season of Nats baseball meant to me and how it's given me hope seeing them battle every game (you'll know it's me if you see it), and now I'm already checking out. I just know how I get. When we lost in 2017, it preceded a bad series of events in my life that soured everything. Within a matter of weeks, my wife had a miscarriage and I had a nervous breakdown because I couldn't sleep right for almost a week. 

Not saying that getting down over sports led to that, but it definitely put me in a bad space when the time came to cope with some brutally hard life challenges. I want my association with this season to stay as positive and encouraging as possible, even though I know it's got to end badly eventually. It's DC sports. This was the year my daughter saw her first Nats game and Baby Shark hype slotted so well into our time together. It's been great. The new generation of players has been incredible and my two favorite players (Tony and Max) had tremendous seasons. 

Anyway, I don't know. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and feel differently. I just can't bear the idea of this team falling off hard right now, so I won't. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Bacon said:

Yep. I hate to say it - it's my loss - but I'm back to not watching until they get it together. Not because I'm a fairweather fan, I'm still checking the score regularly, but I have anger and depression issues I've sought counseling for and am working to control and don't want to set something off watching a magical season catch a flat right at the end. I'm going to spoiler the rest of this post because it's personal stuff and not relevant to anyone who has zero investment in my life. 

Reveal hidden contents

Luckily for me, I've recently started a student teaching assignment and I'm 4 months from my credential, so I've got something to keep my mind busy if it all goes down in flames and I've only got the Case Keenum-led Redskins (shudder) to follow in early October. 

I kind of feel bad because I wrote this really long, personal post on the Nats subreddit about how much this season of Nats baseball meant to me and how it's given me hope seeing them battle every game (you'll know it's me if you see it), and now I'm already checking out. I just know how I get. When we lost in 2017, it preceded a bad series of events in my life that soured everything. Within a matter of weeks, my wife had a miscarriage and I had a nervous breakdown because I couldn't sleep right for almost a week. 

Not saying that getting down over sports led to that, but it definitely put me in a bad space when the time came to cope with some brutally hard life challenges. I want my association with this season to stay as positive and encouraging as possible, even though I know it's got to end badly eventually. It's DC sports. This was the year my daughter saw her first Nats game and Baby Shark hype slotted so well into our time together. It's been great. The new generation of players has been incredible and my two favorite players (Tony and Max) had tremendous seasons. 

Anyway, I don't know. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and feel differently. I just can't bear the idea of this team falling off hard right now, so I won't. 

We got you @Bacon.  Sports is supposed to bring us fun and enjoyment (as hard as that might be to believe being a DC fan).  When foul mood from sports fandom is encroaching on our real life, a break is a good idea.  You'll always have the memories of joyous times with your daughter this season and hopefully, we have some more of them in store during the postseason.  Close or far, you can always join in on the celebrations and let sports be a positive thing in your life if the situation arises.  Best of luck and cheers🍻

We have a better chance of catching the Braves if we don't play them, which pretty much assures we won't.

Baseball season is so long you might as well make the most of it instead of hanging everything on how well we do in the postseason.  If they do get a home playoff wildcard game, I will be there out of respect and as a fan, regardless of the result.

• Like 1