Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

17 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Anyone know what's up with Travis Sykora, the guy we paid way overslot for in the 3rd round last season?

Here he is in Nats prospects vs. Mets prospects in March 2024 (dude he strikes out plays AA this year)   https://www.mlb.com/video/travis-sykora-strikes-out-jett-williams

Looks like he's in the Rookie league FCL    https://www.milb.com/player/travis-sykora-805809

In 2024, Florida Complex League regular-season games begin on May 4 and end on July 25.

https://floridaprobaseball.com/florida-complex-league/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Metalhead said:

When Wood comes up (no pun intended), who goes down? They only moves I can see are to send Rosario out and ultimately move Jacob Young to the bench.

Pretty much this. Once he is called up, he needs to play as much as possible. Probably Young to the bench since he's a rookie and you might want a Vet in Rosario out there most games. 

1 hour ago, Metalhead said:

When Wood comes up (no pun intended), who goes down? They only moves I can see are to send Rosario out and ultimately move Jacob Young to the bench.

Currently they have 25 guys on the roster as Millas was optioned after the game yesterday. I think the plan was to carry an extra reliever until Tuesday when they need a starter (Rutledge). However Rutledge got hurt in the third inning today - liner off his foot/heel. So that part of the plan is in flux.

Senzel is in his third rehab tonight. I think the plan should be to call him and Wood up on the 19th when they are back home.

Senzel up, Lipscomb down. Wood up, Rosario DFA.

Or Senzel up, Young down. Wood up, Rosario DFA. - Thomas is your backup CFer in this scenario. 

I like option 1 better.

I’d give some serious thought into sending Meneses down though. 

The pitching will be tricky to navigate. I’m not sure if Adon can come back up if there is a corresponding IL move (Harvey).

Option 1:

Abrams 6

Winker DH/7

Thomas 8

Gallo 3

Wood 8/7

Ruiz 2

Senzel 5

Garcia 4

Young 7/8

Meneses getting some starts with Winker in left and Young on the bench.

Vargas giving Senzel and Garcia days off.

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Currently they have 25 guys on the roster as Millas was optioned after the game yesterday. I think the plan was to carry an extra reliever until Tuesday when they need a starter (Rutledge). However Rutledge got hurt in the third inning today - liner off his foot/heel. So that part of the plan is in flux.

Senzel is in his third rehab tonight. I think the plan should be to call him and Wood up on the 19th when they are back home.

Senzel up, Lipscomb down. Wood up, Rosario DFA.

Or Senzel up, Young down. Wood up, Rosario DFA. - Thomas is your backup CFer in this scenario. 

I like option 1 better.

I’d give some serious thought into sending Meneses down though. 

The pitching will be tricky to navigate. I’m not sure if Adon can come back up if there is a corresponding IL move (Harvey).

Option 1:

Abrams 6

Winker DH/7

Thomas 8

Gallo 3

Wood 8/7

Ruiz 2

Senzel 5

Garcia 4

Young 7/8

Meneses getting some starts with Winker in left and Young on the bench.

Vargas giving Senzel and Garcia days off.

Pushing out both Lipscomb and Young seems like a bad decision as both are producing. The team is building an identity with them, imo. Vagabond vets that are 30+ should always be the first to leave on a rebuilding franchise.

3 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

Pushing out both Lipscomb and Young seems like a bad decision as both are producing. The team is building an identity with them, imo. Vagabond vets that are 30+ should always be the first to leave on a rebuilding franchise.

Agreed. I wouldn't send down Lipscomb or bench him unless he starts stinking it up. Sucks for Senzel but he's on a 1 year $2M deal. He had bad luck before the first game. Lipscomb has take advantage of the opportunity. 

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

The two scenarios I laid out had one of the two being sent down, not both.

I don’t see them rehabbing, then releasing Senzel. Maybe they do, I just don’t see it happening. So if Senzel comes back somebody has to go. Lipscomb should get everyday ABs. It’ll be tough carrying both Senzel and Vargas and get ABs for everyone.

I wouldn’t have signed Senzel to begin with. I wouldn’t have signed Rosario or Winker either, though Winker has impressed so far. I wouldn’t have brought back Robles.

Rosario is an easy DFA. I could get behind Meneses getting sent down (he has options) and Lipscomb getting everyday ABs all over at 3B, 2B, 1B, LF, DH. Ideally that’s his role in 2025 with House up.

Young, I’m not that concerned about. If things go well, he’s a fourth or fifth OFer next year at best.

I think Meneses would have to go down.

I'm reading conflicting things on this, but service time manipulation dates are really soon? If Wood is called up after that date, and balls out, do we still get a draft pick but he loses a year of service time? Some people are saying that's the case, others are saying service time stays the same and we don't get the pick?

12 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I think Meneses would have to go down.

I'm reading conflicting things on this, but service time manipulation dates are really soon? If Wood is called up after that date, and balls out, do we still get a draft pick but he loses a year of service time? Some people are saying that's the case, others are saying service time stays the same and we don't get the pick?

It’s confusing. But the deadline was yesterday. So he will not get you a draft pick if he’s called up. They will have his rights through the 2030 season now…unless he is top 2 in ROY. Then it would be 2029.

On the other side, Holliday got called up before the deadline. The Orioles have him through 2029. But if he is ROY, they get an extra pick. If he wins MVP in the next five seasons, they get an extra pick. 

15 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The two scenarios I laid out had one of the two being sent down, not both.

I don’t see them rehabbing, then releasing Senzel. Maybe they do, I just don’t see it happening. So if Senzel comes back somebody has to go. Lipscomb should get everyday ABs. It’ll be tough carrying both Senzel and Vargas and get ABs for everyone.

I wouldn’t have signed Senzel to begin with. I wouldn’t have signed Rosario or Winker either, though Winker has impressed so far. I wouldn’t have brought back Robles.

Rosario is an easy DFA. I could get behind Meneses getting sent down (he has options) and Lipscomb getting everyday ABs all over at 3B, 2B, 1B, LF, DH. Ideally that’s his role in 2025 with House up.

Young, I’m not that concerned about. If things go well, he’s a fourth or fifth OFer next year at best.

I see your point. Senzel did gunk up the roster management.

Too many outfielders does create problems. The young guys do need AB's and innings on the field to get in a rythym and develop. Sending a guy down in the middle of his growth can derail everything for him.

Gallo and Joey are redundant too but I expect Gallo to be traded. Not sure what to do with Joey though, taking him out might be a bigger hit to the clubhouse and morale than losing his bat. Think Garret or Mike Morse.

I agree, there will be some tough decisions coming up quickly. Still have to fit in Garret and Crews possibly later this year.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 8:06 AM, EmirOfShmo said:

EGreene with 6Ks in 10AB 2H .200

Just watched him hit an absolute bomb to dead center. He also has a walk, stolen base, and nice play in CF.  With Woods, Crews, Young, Hassell, and Lile, they can really take their time with him.

The other night he had four strike outs and a single. But his single was off the wall guys on first and second. Not great baserunning by his teammates kept him from getting a double.

He now has a hit in five of the six games.

11 hours ago, Metalhead said:

I see your point. Senzel did gunk up the roster management.

Too many outfielders does create problems. The young guys do need AB's and innings on the field to get in a rythym and develop. Sending a guy down in the middle of his growth can derail everything for him.

Gallo and Joey are redundant too but I expect Gallo to be traded. Not sure what to do with Joey though, taking him out might be a bigger hit to the clubhouse and morale than losing his bat. Think Garret or Mike Morse.

I agree, there will be some tough decisions coming up quickly. Still have to fit in Garret and Crews possibly later this year.

You make a good point about Stone. Martinez said he’s going to start his rehab assignment and will be up when he’s in playing shape. Senzel, Wood, and Garrett up. Need three guys to be sent down. Rosario is the easy one. Then you have to find two more.

• Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Cool. Got worried when Vargas didn’t catch that foul ball.

BTW, Ruiz hasn’t played in four days straight. Is he banged up?

Sick with the flu

• Like 1

Wood on base three out of five times so far today. You can choose to walk him, but it’s like giving up a 2B as he has three steals in the first game.

Gotta be Friday when he makes his debut. Looks like Gore will make the start. So you’ll have Gore, Abrams, and Wood all in the lineup as they kick off the five year WS anniversary series against Houston.

On another note, Garrett is playing for Harrisburg today in his first game action since his injury.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1