Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Being incompetent and paying the wrong people is worse.  Forcing themselves to cheap out with the player they needed to keep because they wasted their money on Corbin and Strasburg is gutting.

Name one owner in the history of the sport that has offered more guaranteed money to one player than the Lerners.

100M+ contracts to Werth, Zimmerman, Corbin, Scherzer, and Strasburg.  But, yes, they are cheap.

• Like 1

I don't think so much that the Lerner's are cheap, but their timing on the sale couldn't be worse.  Of course Soto wouldn't sign with a team long-term, not knowing who the ownership is.  They're also weird, doing all these deferred and oddly-structured contracts.  The bottom line is that they have let some incredibly talented and likeable players leave, and now we are the worst team in baseball.  2019 was a magical joyride, but it sure feels like a long time ago now.  

38 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

No, but I am sure it helps.

That's really depressing...

Austin Riley just signed a 10 yr, $212m deal with the Braves.

Riley is 25.  Soto would've been 21(?) with 3 arbitration years left.

32 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

What is the AAV for Acuna? Tatis? Machado? Harper?

If Nats offered 9 figure deal to Soto after 1 year, maybe Acuna is a comp (though I would not have complained)

Tatis is signed through age 35.  Same with Machado.  Harper is through 38.  The fact that Machado got 10/300 for 26-35 should be proof enough that 10/300 for Soto's 21-30 is not sufficient.

10 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

I’m not a big Law fan.  But I hope he’s right.  Next year is going to be really bad.  Best case scenario is that Gore is healthy and we see a staff of Cavalli, Gray, and Gore blossom.  Offensively, we’ll

stink but need to see development from Garcia, Adams, and Ruiz.

The OF won’t make a dent until 2024 with Hassell.

This a long game.

1 minute ago, mammajamma said:

Makes me wonder if Tatis will be limited to DH when he first comes back.

One thing I keep reminding myself is that we’ve been hearing for years that Boras wouldn’t let Soto sign an extension and would allow him to test free agency. I think Rizzo saw that too. So nothing has changed besides us moving our farm from 25 to 5th in one day, and we still have the same odds at resigning Soto in 2 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Riley is 25.  Soto would've been 21(?) with 3 arbitration years left.

If Nats offered 9 figure deal to Soto after 1 year, maybe Acuna is a comp (though I would not have complained)

Tatis is signed through age 35.  Same with Machado.  Harper is through 38.  The fact that Machado got 10/300 for 26-35 should be proof enough that 10/300 for Soto's 21-30 is not sufficient.

Maybe...Maybe...maybe...None of that exists in reality--none of that is backed up by majority of Scott Boras history. He was going to free agency.

It's official--Welcome to the Nats!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Maybe...Maybe...maybe...None of that exists in reality--none of that is backed up by majority of Scott Boras history.

Truly impressive how Boras managed to torpedo Rendon and Turner's extensions too.  Boras played no small part in this I'm sure, but let's not pretend that ownership doesn't have a track record too.

12 minutes ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Just think of all the prospects we'll have when these guys get good and we trade them for prospects! 

I was mostly fine with letting Harper go. Didn't like seeing Rendon go. Hated seeing Turner go. And this one is the worst of all. Soto could've been the Nats version of Ovie. 

It hurts indeed. But I can see why it was done. The sale of the team and not going to win a championship in the next 2 years with Soto. His value right now is greater than later. It is a gamble but when you are in rebuild mode you can't payout that much for one player. It is always tough to lose someone like this though.