Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

It was ridiculous how good the Astros were at not swinging at Scherzer's pitches that were juuuust outside the zone in Game 1. It was almost like they knew what was coming!

Easy to have an entire lineup with Ted Williams-like plate discipline when you know what pitches are coming.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It was ridiculous how good the Astros were at not swinging at Scherzer's pitches that were juuuust outside the zone in Game 1. It was almost like they knew what was coming!

Easy to have an entire lineup with Ted Williams-like plate discipline when you know what pitches are coming.

And we still beat their monkey asses

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

No doubt.  This was frustrating.  I’m sitting there like “no wonder they’re so good.  Whole team has great plate discipline.”  ****faces lol

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

That game @ Philly when we rallied back to tie it in the 9th on Robles solo shot & then win it in the 10th on Soto’s moon shot over the foul pole.  Man, that’s when we arrived.  These young guys are for real.  That **** is crazy.

Robles had late game heroics all year

he will be a 30/30 guy before too long

• Like 5

10 hours ago, -JB- said:

No doubt.  Only scratching the surface with these guys.  Unreal potential.  Robles as a 30/30 guy with elite range & defense in CF & Soto *gulps* Barry Bonds.

Thinking how good is Soto going to get? He slugged ~.740 in the World Series--the biggest stage possible, and he terrified the Astros. After Rendon's Gm 7 homer, he preternatural discipline chased Greinke--Freddie Freeman-level Nat Killer. Next batter:

Robles is almost forgotten about. He is already an elite defensive CF, with a flair for the dramatic. He only had an 88 OPS+/91 WRC+--which isn't bad for his first full season. I don't think he has 30 HR power--but 20 is very reasonable for him--with 40 SB. Offensively, his profile is similar to Trea Turner, which, you know, is pretty good. Robles and Turner leading off?

What's really ridiculous is when people talk about the "Young Stars" of the game--it's always Acuna, Tatis, and Vladdy Jr. Soto is an afterthought, Robles even more so.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They're talking about Svurluga's article on 980 now and its pretty amazing the lengths we went to to counter the Astros cheating. This really is a top notch organization top to bottom.

The culture HERE is damn good.

I'm sorry a bit confused.  Does that count as winning off the field or winning on the field? 🤔

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Thinking how good is Soto going to get? He slugged ~.740 in the World Series--the biggest stage possible, and he terrified the Astros. After Rendon's Gm 7 homer, he preternatural discipline chased Greinke--Freddie Freeman-level Nat Killer. Next batter:

Robles is almost forgotten about. He is already an elite defensive CF, with a flair for the dramatic. He only had an 88 OPS+/91 WRC+--which isn't bad for his first full season. I don't think he has 30 HR power--but 20 is very reasonable for him--with 40 SB. Offensively, his profile is similar to Trea Turner, which, you know, is pretty good. Robles and Turner leading off?

What's really ridiculous is when people talk about the "Young Stars" of the game--it's always Acuna, Tatis, and Vladdy Jr. Soto is an afterthought, Robles even more so.

It’s crazy to think about the fact that Soto’s plate discipline is so advanced for his age that he isn’t even viewed with the same lens as other young prospects.  He has already done things that fans of those prospects teams could only dream of happening.  Playing at MVP level in the World Series at 20/21 years old with clutch AB after clutch AB and even some clutch defensive plays.  Unreal to even start to try and wrap your head around it!  

As for Robles, he’s elite defensively already  as we all know.  5 tool player with tremendous arm in CF and great speed.  He is young enough at 22 that I could definitely see him as a 30 HR guy in the future.  Some serious pop, he just needs to cut down on his K’s obviously.  Down the line he should become a top of the lineup bat which could be scary.  I think we’ve only scratched the surface.  Sky is the limit.

25 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

It wasn't too long ago when Robles was the superstar in waiting and Soto was just that other guy with some promise.  Clearly Soto blossomed early.  I think Robles will be close behind. 

No doubt.  Easy to forget about Robles and his infinite potential while staring at the amazing ascension of Juan Soto into superstardom.

I have formed an opinion of the Nats upcoming free agency. I expect this to be an unpopular opinion. 

Unless you succeed in bringing back both Strasburg AND Rendon (and Zimmerman), the Nats should strongly consider bringing back *none* of them. Maybe just Zimm on a cheap deal. 

My thinking: it’s unlikely that we have a chance of repeating in the next 3 years even if we bring everyone back. Even if we do bring Stras, Rendon, and Zimm back, we probably lose Kendrick to the AL.

But especially if we lose either Stras or Rendon, I’m not sure we even make the playoffs next year. Then you’re faced with an aging Scherzer anchoring your rotation with two years left on his deal, and MANY holes to fill.

Entering a mini rebuild/retool era for like 1-2 years before starting to spend big bucks again in FA would give us the chance to load up on younger talent rather than spending $65m/yr on two guys that will be in their late 30s by the time their deals are done. Letting Strasburg and Rendon walk also dramatically increase the likelihood we can keep Soto and Robles around long term. Basically, sacrifice the next 1-2 years with a goal of being much more competitive in 2022-2026.

When we were 19-31 and looking at our aging stars and contract statuses, “blow it up” was a popular opinion. It was also one formed in reality: guys get old. Viejos can’t do it forever. I don’t think winning the WS changes that reality, but it could cloud our judgement (and that of the Lerners) as we ride this high. 

I don’t think we do this... but I also think we risk the next decade if we continue to invest big $ in older veteran players. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215