Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

How would you feel if you're a Philly fan if Trout signs his extension with the Angels and Harper decides to go elsewhere.  Harper has made it abundantly clear that Philly is not his preference imho, and even if he signs, he's literally settling for the most money... not playing where he would prefer.  

Those "die hard" fans would be even more non-existent than they've been for the last 7 years

24 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I would think that if Philly doesn't get Harper, after the "stupid money" comments, then next year the HAVE TO get Trout or their fans will be pissed (more so than usual).  

Assuming Trout isn't locked up by Anaheim.  

**** the Phillies, I hope they don't get anybody.

• Thanks 2

So this would mean AAV 'record' is now $35 mil....  This could push Boras and Harper to require that, which may take Philly out of it, or truly force them to spend more than they want.  

Odd side note here... Arenado HAD Boras as his agent but dropped him in 2015...

Edited by OVCChairman

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

So this would mean AAV 'record' is now $35 mil....  This could push Boras and Harper to require that, which may take Philly out of it, or truly force them to spend more than they want.  

Odd side note here... Arenado HAD Boras as his agent but dropped him in 2015...

If there's ever that one thing that gives me pause about Harper, it's this.  Arenado could have commanded insane dollars on the market if he went to FA.  But by extending and spending his career with one team, he's cementing a legacy.  And it's not like the NBA where you may have no realistic shot at winning by staying.  Harper could have cemented his legacy in DC but I guess other things were more important to him.  I'm not gonna say that's wrong or anything, but guys like Arenado gets a different level of respect from me and Colorado fans are lucky to have someone like him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Someone else signing a big contract doesn't let Harper/Boras "require" anything.  The only thing that moves the needle up for one team is another team moving their own needle up.  

My needle moved at the thought of the Phillies having to pay more now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, bearrock said:

If there's ever that one thing that gives me pause about Harper, it's this.  Arenado could have commanded insane dollars on the market if he went to FA.  But by extending and spending his career with one team, he's cementing a legacy.  And it's not like the NBA where you may have no realistic shot at winning by staying.  Harper could have cemented his legacy in DC but I guess other things were more important to him.  I'm not gonna say that's wrong or anything, but guys like Arenado gets a different level of respect from me and Colorado fans are lucky to have someone like him.

AAV for Arenado's extension is $35 mil.  I have a hard time believing that if we had offered that kind of money, Harper would have made it to free agency, but who knows. 

Edit: Total value of his contract including CURRENT season is 8 / $260 which is below (AAV of $32.5 mil) the original that I thought I read (AAV of $35 mil)

37 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Someone else signing a big contract doesn't let Harper/Boras "require" anything.  The only thing that moves the needle up for one team is another team moving their own needle up.  

It moves the number up again, if you believe (which I do) that Harper cares less about the $$ and more about the claim of "biggest contract in history."   I think him and Boras want to set the benchmark there, and having a contract now on the books with an AAV of $35 mil might push them to now not accept a lesser TOTAL $$ amount, as long as the AAV is tops.  

I actually am starting to believe more and more that he's simply out to set a record as a legacy type move.  

On a separate note, what does this mean for negotiations with Rendon?  

Edited by OVCChairman

Shame it was put out there he wouldn't take a shorter deal. I'd think taking one where you can hit FA after the next collective bargaining agreement would be a smart movie.

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Koda Glover's MRI apparently negative for damage to UCL... shutting down for now.  

Not counting on this guy at all until he proves it over time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Shame it was put out there he wouldn't take a shorter deal. I'd think taking one where you can hit FA after the next collective bargaining agreement would be a smart movie.

Not counting on this guy at all until he proves it over time.

Agreed on Harper

Agreed on Glover