Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Fedde vs Teheran tomorrow. Interestingly enough, those two have a nearly identical ERA and WHIP this year. Teheran is a guy we’ve had success against in the past, but he controlled the game last week. 

Sanchez vs Soroka Wednesday afternoon. Sanchez has been dialed in lately. Soroka struggled against us last week. 

Feeling good about taking one of these games, and thus the series, to remain 4.5 back. Really wish Scherzer was going tomorrow... :( 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Fedde vs Teheran tomorrow. Interestingly enough, those two have a nearly identical ERA and WHIP this year. Teheran is a guy we’ve had success against in the past, but he controlled the game last week. 

Teheran also had the benefit of a huge strike zone last week.  He was getting calls off the corner.  At least, that's the way remember it.  

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Teheran also had the benefit of a huge strike zone last week.  He was getting calls off the corner.  At least, that's the way remember it.  

He was, but I’d say that was largely his doing. He was absolutely pinpoint with his location and used that precision to earn calls. Hopefully Nats hitters are prepared for him at his best... work the counts, foul off pitches, and try to get him out of the game by the 6th. 

7 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Tomorrow is deadline day

I'm getting the sinking feeling thst we're going to add some non-impact arm to the pen who wont be thst different from what we already have

Our single biggest issue with our bullpen is lack of depth. We use our top 3-4 relievers way too much because 5-7 are so unreliable. So if we bring in guys for 5-7 that more closely resemble 2-4 (Suero, Rodney, Rainey), it *should* lead to better performance for the top 3 guys. WORST case if we don't land top relievers and just fix the depth, we'll be in better shape without giving up a ton of prospects. Notably, other contenders will probably do more to improve their teams. But our position relative to our current bullpen should improve regardless. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Our single biggest issue with our bullpen is lack of depth. We use our top 3-4 relievers way too much because 5-7 are so unreliable. So if we bring in guys for 5-7 that more closely resemble 2-4 (Suero, Rodney, Rainey), it *should* lead to better performance for the top 3 guys. WORST case if we don't land top relievers and just fix the depth, we'll be in better shape without giving up a ton of prospects. Notably, other contenders will probably do more to improve their teams. But our position relative to our current bullpen should improve regardless. 

I disagree to an extent. I think its imperative we get more than depth, we need a dominant arm. I fear that bringing a guy thats just another arm will lead to the same overuse of our more "reliable" guys. 

Thats the other issue. We still dont have anyone i trust outside of Doolittle. Suero, FRE, & Rainey look better because the rest of the pen is largely ****. I want someone gives me a comfort of knowing that even if they slip one night, it will only be a one game thing. Doolittle is the only one who checks that box. I want someone dominant. If they feel this team is a contender, you cant bring someone who is more of the same

9 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I disagree to an extent. I think its imperative we get more than depth, we need a dominant arm. I fear that bringing a guy thats just another arm will lead to the same overuse of our more "reliable" guys. 

Thats the other issue. We still dont have anyone i trust outside of Doolittle. Suero, FRE, & Rainey look better because the rest of the pen is largely ****. I want someone gives me a comfort of knowing that even if they slip one night, it will only be a one game thing. Doolittle is the only one who checks that box. I want someone dominant. If they feel this team is a contender, you cant bring someone who is more of the same

So, we don’t disagree. My only point is that adding a couple guys in the same tier as Rainey and Suero will help us a lot, absent being able to land a top guy. To be true contenders in October we absolutely need another closer-level reliever on top of that depth though. 

• Like 1

Looking back again at remaining schedules, I noted a week or two ago that the Braves had a much easier remaining schedule than we do. I still think we need to do enough to pull even with them (or close to it) head to head in order to have a chance to take the division. Which means going 7-2 (or at worst 6-3) in our remaining games again them, starting tonight. Not having Scherzer last week or this week has hurt us a lot. 

We can't land top tier arms because this is the fourth year in a row we've sought out relief help at the deadline. At a certain point, you start depleting your farm resources and that's where we're at right now. 

Just now, Bacon said:

We can't land top tier arms because this is the fourth year in a row we've sought out relief help at the deadline. At a certain point, you start depleting your farm resources and that's where we're at right now. 

Our contending window is closing quickly with Scherzer's age and Strasburg with opt outs this year and next.. and Rendon as a FA. I think this is our best chance and I'm fine with taking our farm system from bad to horrible to give us the best chance this year. If we're moving Kieboom or Garcia though, we better be getting better enough to be considered right up there with the Dodgers though. 

7 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Our contending window is closing quickly with Scherzer's age and Strasburg with opt outs this year and next.. and Rendon as a FA. I think this is our best chance and I'm fine with taking our farm system from bad to horrible to give us the best chance this year. If we're moving Kieboom or Garcia though, we better be getting better enough to be considered right up there with the Dodgers though. 

My point isn't so much that we should be miserly as it is that our pen woes are something of a self-inflicted wound, which I hope ownership has noted. Rizzo has fallen into a habit of literally trading the farm for arms that should be developed internally and we need to either find better pitching scouts or coaches to get the most out of our draft picks and international signings for the pen. 

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

My point isn't so much that we should be miserly as it is that our pen woes are something of a self-inflicted wound, which I hope ownership has noted. Rizzo has fallen into a habit of literally trading the farm for arms that should be developed internally and we need to either find better pitching scouts or coaches to get the most out of our draft picks and international signings for the pen. 

I still contend that this never ending cycle of having to trade for bullpen arm was kicked off by an ownership/Boras signing. 

No Rafael Soriano, no having to trade for Papelbon. 

No Papelbon, maybe we sign someone in FA, so no having to trade for Melancon (gave up Rivero/Vasquez). 

Again if we had signed someone legit in FA who was still decent in the first half of 2017, we don’t go into the year hoping that Treinen would be a good closer. Could ease him into a setup role. So no having to trade Treinen and now-top rotation prospect Jesus Luzardo for Doolittle and Madson. 

20/20 hindsight, but Rafael Soriano was a bad signing at the time it happened (his peripherals were garbage), and the Papelbon trade was at the time one that needed to be made. Same for the rest of them tbh. 

• Like 2