Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Holiday cheer recipe thread

brandymac27

So its time for the holidays and I thought we could all share our delicious family holiday recipes!  This year, I'm responsible for 2 side dishes on Thanksgiving, and I have one already that I will post, but I'm at a loss for the other one. I want to make something different. Not your typical sweet potato casserole, collard greens, string bean casserole, etc. I'd like to get some ideas from you guys! 

Any tips or tricks that you have? Any ideas or recipes for people like me who don't bake well but love desserts? I have a big sweet tooth and love desserts, but I can't bake worth a crap, so any no bake recipe ideas?

I always do my pasta salad because my family loves it. It isn't really a holiday dish, but nobody cares because they all love it. 

Here is the recipe:

Box of rotini noodles

2 cucumbers

2 large tomato's

2 blocks of cheese of your choice ( I use cheddar and Colby)

1 or 2 bags of sliced pepperoni

Italian dressing of your choice

All I do is cook the noodles

De seed the tomato's and cucumbers and chop them up

Cut up the cheese in cubes

Cut the pepperoni into 4's (take a stack out of the bag and cut them like I'm cutting them into 4 pizza slices)

Get a large bowl and add all ingredients together, then add Italian dressing to taste

* this is great for BBQ's and picnics too, plus you can add or subtract any ingredients you want. Some people add shrimp, bacon, onions, green peppers etc. And it doesn't spoil quickly like potato salad because of the mayo. And you can always adjust the amount of ingredients depending on how many people you're cooking for.

So what delicious, yummy holiday recipes do you have that you'd like to share?

Holiday hot chocolate:

Your choice of instant hot chocolate

A bag of mini Hershey chocolate bars

Bag of mini marshmallows

Candy canes

Boil water

Get a medium sized cup and fill halfway with mini marshmallows and 2 mini Hershey chocolate bars. Pour instant hot cocoa into cup too.

Pour boiling water into cup and stir with spoon

Sprinkle a few extra marshmallows on top and garnish with a candy cane in the cup as a stirrer.

Great served alone or with holiday desserts or cookies. Adults and kids love this.

2 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Top advice : Buy desserts. Ta da!!!

I normally do lol, but I wanted to try something different this year.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Gonna try my hand at Cauliflower au Gratin this year.

That sounds good. Is it a family recipe or something new you're trying?

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Here is the best stuffing you will ever have. Thomas Keller is arguably America’s greatest living chef. 

https://food52.com/recipes/39035-thomas-keller-s-leek-bread-pudding

That sounds REALLY good! Thanks for sharing!

6 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

Holiday hot chocolate:

Your choice of instant hot chocolate

A bag of mini Hershey chocolate bars

Bag of mini marshmallows

Candy canes

Boil water

Get a medium sized cup and fill halfway with mini marshmallows and 2 mini Hershey chocolate bars. Pour instant hot cocoa into cup too.

Pour boiling water into cup and stir with spoon

Sprinkle a few extra marshmallows on top and garnish with a candy cane in the cup as a stirrer.

Great served alone or with holiday desserts or cookies. Adults and kids love this.

I normally do lol, but I wanted to try something different this year.

Try that with a splash of peppermint schnapps.

Seriously.  It'll taste like a Peppermint Patty.

Leave it to a Frenchman to deliver the perfect Thanksgiving tip! (thanks for our freedom to do this 😎, btw).

My specialty is mom's layered salad. Bottom to top: lettuce, 6 chopped hard boiled eggs, one cup each of onions, green pepper, celery, shredded carrots, a box/bag of frozen green peas(still frozen, when they thaw, they will thin the dressing perfectly).

Mix 1 cup mayonnaise with 1T sugar or Splenda to taste, enough to spread over the top layer of peas...then sprinkle shredded cheese and bacon bits. 

Of course, everything is optional or replaceable. 

( I also take 2 large ones to our neighborhood picnic every year, it's a big hit...and my Congressman complimented me on it 3 years in a row, so there's that. )

10 hours ago, FrFan said:

Yayyy! Thank you!!!

5 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Leave it to a Frenchman to deliver the perfect Thanksgiving tip! (thanks for our freedom to do this 😎, btw).

My specialty is mom's layered salad. Bottom to top: lettuce, 6 chopped hard boiled eggs, one cup each of onions, green pepper, celery, shredded carrots, a box/bag of frozen green peas(still frozen, when they thaw, they will thin the dressing perfectly).

Mix 1 cup mayonnaise with 1T sugar or Splenda to taste, enough to spread over the top layer of peas...then sprinkle shredded cheese and bacon bits. 

Of course, everything is optional or replaceable. 

( I also take 2 large ones to our neighborhood picnic every year, it's a big hit...and my Congressman complimented me on it 3 years in a row, so there's that. )

Sounds great! I'll have to try this, and I love how it works for cookouts, picnics, etc! Thanks for sharing!

This one for you ladies :)

Christmas turkey stuffed with apricots and raisins

dinde-noel-farcie-abricots-raisins-secs-

We usually stuff the turkey with chestnuts and put a couple of "petits suisses" up her you know where :D to add moisture so the flesh is juicy and not dry. I believe you can substitue them with Quark and a touch of Philadelphia (fat one) because they are thicker than Quark.

https://www.vermontcreamery.com/products/culinary-cheese-and-cream/fromage-blanc/ aPetits-suisses-1_910x568.JPG

Archived